Drum Sequencer Player needs a way to drag midi like Redrum

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
Goriila Texas

15 Oct 2021

Players in RRP are useless without a way to drag midi from them into your DAW imo. I would use Reason for my drums if I could drag midi from the drum sequencer or drag audio into my DAW like we can with Maschine.

Jackjackdaw

15 Oct 2021

If you attach the player to a midi out you can record the Player output to your DAW sequencer.

I agree though, getting stuff in and out of the RRP should be much easier.

Billy+

15 Oct 2021

Getting midi into Reason standalone could be much better too, as an non RRP user I was under the impression that the devices had a little icon that would allow you to drag n drop the midi?

After reading this I'm assuming that it's not available on the players but is on devices which have an internal sequencer?

Goriila Texas

15 Oct 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
15 Oct 2021
If you attach the player to a midi out you can record the Player output to your DAW sequencer.

Let me try that thanks.

Goriila Texas

15 Oct 2021

As far as I know you would need to use the record function but I'm not sure I only use RRP.

Billy+ wrote:
15 Oct 2021
Getting midi into Reason standalone could be much better too, as an non RRP user I was under the impression that the devices had a little icon that would allow you to drag n drop the midi?

After reading this I'm assuming that it's not available on the players but is on devices which have an internal sequencer?

huggermugger

15 Oct 2021

It's not drag 'n' drop, but most Players have Send To Track, which is easy to use. Sadly, this feature is absent from the RRP versions of Players.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 12.37.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 12.37.36 PM.png (173.22 KiB) Viewed 14327 times

Goriila Texas

15 Oct 2021

I'm trying to use Mimic multi slot with the drum seq patterns in S1 without using automation. Using a player doesn't, work how do you programmed steps in the drum seq trigging Mimic while also hook to a midi out? What are the routing to make it work I'm drunk from Don Julio lol.

Jackjackdaw wrote:
15 Oct 2021

Goriila Texas

15 Oct 2021

Routing from Reason is a hassle I figured I just use S1's pattern sequencer since I know Mimic slots start from C1.

Jackjackdaw

15 Oct 2021

Put the mimic and the midi out in a combi and the player on top. I don’t know how midi routing works in S1 but in Cubase you can just select the Reason midi out in the input of the instrument.

Goriila Texas

15 Oct 2021

Yeah I see I need 8 midi out devices for each slot but for some reason when I record the midi data in S1 it doesn't play Mimic even though I see the midi coming in on the channel and RRP selected as the midi source. I'm just going to use S1 pattern sequencer before lose inspiration to jam out.

Thanks

Jackjackdaw wrote:
15 Oct 2021
Put the mimic and the midi out in a combi and the player on top. I don’t know how midi routing works in S1 but in Cubase you can just select the Reason midi out in the input of the instrument.

sdst
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2021

this is the way to record the midi of any player in studio one,

player needs midi out

Goriila Texas

15 Oct 2021

And.... triggering Mimic at the same time?
sdst wrote:
15 Oct 2021
this is the way to record the midi of any player in studio one,

player needs midi out

sdst
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
15 Oct 2021
I have not tried that, I have not used mimic

maybe if you put mimic on another channel and use the midi

Goriila Texas

15 Oct 2021

10-4 I figured out a workflow I'ma try out and create a template with it. I placed two Mimics in a combi with one using multi slot for kick,snare etc... and the other for 808's/bass on pitch slot. Use key range in combi so notes don't overlap. Top instrument channel in S1 controls 1st mimic and second controls the other. My goal was to find a way to quickly find the key of my drums and tune them then go straight to programming I think I've found a solution.

New Animate ActionScript File.png
New Animate ActionScript File.png (647.07 KiB) Viewed 14197 times
sdst wrote:
15 Oct 2021
Goriila Texas wrote:
15 Oct 2021
I have not tried that, I have not used mimic

maybe if you put mimic on another channel and use the midi

Greg Savage

19 Oct 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
15 Oct 2021
Players in RRP are useless without a way to drag midi from them into your DAW imo. I would use Reason for my drums if I could drag midi from the drum sequencer or drag audio into my DAW like we can with Maschine.
I wouldn't say useless, but definitely not as simple as drag and drop. I would love it if they were capable of such a feature.
Music Composer/Sound Designer
Music Licensing - Credits

w1pl0c

19 Oct 2021

♫ drag and drop! ♫
♫ drag and drop! ♫
♫ drag and drop! ♫

Greg Savage

04 Nov 2021

w1pl0c wrote:
19 Oct 2021
♫ drag and drop! ♫
♫ drag and drop! ♫
♫ drag and drop! ♫
:clap: ♫ drag and drop! ♫
♫ drag and drop! ♫
♫ drag and drop! ♫ :clap:
Music Composer/Sound Designer
Music Licensing - Credits

glass56949

23 Dec 2021

Couldn't agree more with all the suggestions, but if you're a Logic user here's a pretty solid workaround.

1) Player goes in MidiFx Slot
2) Midi FX Freeze underneath it.

You just hit record and then you can drag and drop the midi in.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 11.37.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 11.37.43 AM.png (677 KiB) Viewed 13769 times

huggermugger

23 Dec 2021

glass56949 wrote:
23 Dec 2021
Couldn't agree more with all the suggestions, but if you're a Logic user here's a pretty solid workaround.

1) Player goes in MidiFx Slot
2) Midi FX Freeze underneath it.

You just hit record and then you can drag and drop the midi in.
This must be fairly new. I'm in Logic 10.4, and can find no Midi FX Freeze. I'd sure like to be able to do this though!

RandomNoise

23 Dec 2021

Since you guys brought up Logic, the step sequencer in Logic is everything that I ever wanted the DS to evolve into. They really did a fine job with that one. I've even considered switching from Ableton Live to using Logic just because of that step sequencer! lol

jlgrimes

22 Feb 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
15 Oct 2021
Some of these players I don't see the whole point, if they don't make it easy to drag midi into different DAWs (or into Reason itself).

Also some Players like Drum Sequencer are severely limited. Drum Sequencer is a very nice concept but why did they restrict Drum patterns to 16 steps is beyond me.

An option to do 32 or 64 would have made more sense. I'm sure some of it has to deal with graphics limitations though but if that is the case why can't many of these tools just get incorporated into the piano roll which shouldn't have any graphics limitations.

Studio One has a pattern tool like the Drum Sequencer but without the weird limitations that Reason hasn't updated. Also it being better integrated is a plus. These players should make it easy to convert to midi for Plugin users. Look at Maschine where you can just drag midi into the DAW.

visheshl

22 Feb 2022

I've been asking for drag n drop in drum sequencer since they released it.
The reason is that it doesn't work for players, because a lot of players depend on the incoming midi data from other players or from the midi keyboard.
However why won't they make an exception for players which don't depend on incoming midi data and generate all the data by themselves,
Like the drum sequencer.
It's so stupid.
It's a much better sequencer for making drum patterns, it would be nice to be able to drag and drop the pattern to the DAWs midi tracks.
Small things like these are so annoying.
You already have the code to drag drop midi.
Some other player devices could also benefit from this.

Goriila Texas

22 Feb 2022

Facts.

jlgrimes wrote:
22 Feb 2022
Goriila Texas wrote:
15 Oct 2021
Some of these players I don't see the whole point, if they don't make it easy to drag midi into different DAWs (or into Reason itself).

Also some Players like Drum Sequencer are severely limited. Drum Sequencer is a very nice concept but why did they restrict Drum patterns to 16 steps is beyond me.

An option to do 32 or 64 would have made more sense. I'm sure some of it has to deal with graphics limitations though but if that is the case why can't many of these tools just get incorporated into the piano roll which shouldn't have any graphics limitations.

Studio One has a pattern tool like the Drum Sequencer but without the weird limitations that Reason hasn't updated. Also it being better integrated is a plus. These players should make it easy to convert to midi for Plugin users. Look at Maschine where you can just drag midi into the DAW.

Goriila Texas

22 Feb 2022

+1
visheshl wrote:
22 Feb 2022
I've been asking for drag n drop in drum sequencer since they released it.
The reason is that it doesn't work for players, because a lot of players depend on the incoming midi data from other players or from the midi keyboard.
However why won't they make an exception for players which don't depend on incoming midi data and generate all the data by themselves,
Like the drum sequencer.
It's so stupid.
It's a much better sequencer for making drum patterns, it would be nice to be able to drag and drop the pattern to the DAWs midi tracks.
Small things like these are so annoying.
You already have the code to drag drop midi.
Some other player devices could also benefit from this.

huggermugger

22 Feb 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
15 Oct 2021
If Props, aka Reason Studios, wants other DAW users to take them seriously, they'll figure this one out. Not being able to easily transfer Pattern data into a track from the RRP is just stupid.

• Information