[RELEASED!] Selig Audio New Product: INFUSER

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
selig
RE Developer

21 Dec 2021

UPDATE:
It's 12 22 21 (palindrome date!) and Infuser is officially release.
Obligatory store page link: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n/infuser/
Dec 21, 2021
Hi all, it's been a while but I've been busy. I have a new product about to launch and I wanted to share the news here first!
Shout out to the beta testers for their hard work, and especially to David Antliff for his continued expertise and Wendy Dunham for ongoing help with the interwebs.

Here are the details:

Selig Audio
Infuser
$49 USD

Infuser is an enhancement effect, designed to be used to add subtle flavor to any track like salt and pepper adds flavor to food. Building on technology introduced in ColoringEQ, Infuser takes a unique approach to frequency specific saturation effects.
The key with Infuser is in not just adding saturation at specific frequencies and mixing them back with the original in parallel, but also in reducing the level of the original signal at the same frequencies by a proportional amount at the same time. When you add more saturation, Infuser automatically reduces the original signal at the same frequency. This is done to allow you to choose to preserve the overall frequency spectrum of a sound even when adding saturation at various frequencies. The end result is a more controlled and subtle saturation effect, while also allowing you to exaggerate the spectral balances while adding saturation in parallel if you prefer.

Of course you can always fine tune the effect to be more or less subtle, or solo a band to enjoy the 100% saturated signal. Each of the two bands covers the entire spectrum. Plus both bands can be switched to Bell (parametric) shape to focus even more on a smaller audio band. Tuning is done in semitone steps like ColoringEQ, and by using high Q settings you can impart a strong pitch element (saturation helps too). CV inputs for standard Gate/CV are provided for “playing” the EQ bands from .

Applications include:
•Add heft and girth to wimpy tracks that lack low end power, which can also help them remain present on small speakers.
•Add subtle high frequency saturation to dull acoustic instrument from drums to acoustic guitars, and add excitement to vocals.
•Add a pitched effect to low drums, especially for turning ordinary kicks into tuned 808 kicks.
•Use CV for pitch tracking effects.
•Synthesize massive subs from kicks, or create missing upper harmonics on mp3 files or poorly recorded drums.
•Create percussive/shaker effects from rhythmic acoustic instruments such as guitar or piano.

Bonus: Each band includes a frequency specific “nano-synthesizer” which is related to the main section.

Boom controls the Sub synth, a sine wave generator triggered by the output of the Boom filter featuring a Tune offset (linked to the main Tune or independent), Decay time, Drive (for adding harmonics to the sub), and it’s own On/Off, Solo, and Level control. On the back panel you can invert the polarity of the Sub oscillator if it’s conflicting with any existing bass.

Sizzle controls the Fizz synth, a noise generator with its own filter which follows the Sizzle filter shape and Q, but Tune can be linked or independent of Sizzle. Controls include a Threshold (gate) that cuts out the low level sounds, Decay time, Tune and Level as well as On/Off and Solo.
Both of these nano-synths are blended in with the original according to their Level controls, and also have independent output jacks on the back panel for further processing.

Speaking of the back panel, the Tune for all four sections can be controlled via CV as well as Decay for the two nano-synths. There are standard CV/Gate inputs for note control, switchable for Boom and Sizzle separately. Plus, there is a Gate Out from the Sub section that is available.
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

21 Dec 2021

Cool. Sounds and looks like a nice enhancer.
The note control ex very good. Just curious why there is no direct Midi Note input via keyboard or did i overlooked it? Ofc i can use a dummy device for this...
Reason12, Win10

miscend

21 Dec 2021

Watching the video it looked like this was just doing the old Dolby trick to enhance the top end. But it seems like you have come up with a unique spin on it. Can't wait to demo.

selig
RE Developer

21 Dec 2021

Loque wrote:
21 Dec 2021
Cool. Sounds and looks like a nice enhancer.
The note control ex very good. Just curious why there is no direct Midi Note input via keyboard or did i overlooked it? Ofc i can use a dummy device for this...
Trying to avoid total feature creep – I had already added the Sub and Fizz section beyond what the device was original going to focus on, and kept finding more "can't workaround" features to add like linking/unlinking between modules, polarity on the Sub section, etc.
I can't remember the exact reason for not implementing MIDI, but in reading back through the issues/notes there were a LOT of simple things that ended up being far from simple. Things that now "just work", did not work at first. These include things like getting the triggering of the sine wave to be consistent for every hit (so it always started from the same point, important when adding a low frequency sine wave to a low frequency kick drum). Lots of trigger masking to reduce chattering is happening in the background. Same for adding CV/Gate - turns out you can't just add CV for note value without also adding a gate input as well, despite not needing the gate for any internal function.
There is also a LOT of behind the scenes leveling and matching so that the bell and shelf/filter sound similar when switching, so that adding more saturation (via the Amount knob) doesn't just increase the overall level, so that Q was more consistent between Bell/Shelf, and so on.

Things were already taking longer than expected with my studio build going on simultaneously and Davids schedule in general, and at some point I needed to stop adding features and attempt to get this out of the door. Was originally hoping to have this finished a year ago now! My how time files.

We could still add the feature in an update, but as long as there is a reasonable workaround (I use MIDI-CV Converter) I'm happy for now. That said, I really like using a Matrix for pitch control because among other things you can get nice loops going where the matrix provides the notes and the kick provides the rhythm, which becomes more interesting when you start using odd length patterns in the Matrix.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

21 Dec 2021

miscend wrote:
21 Dec 2021
Watching the video it looked like this was just doing the old Dolby trick to enhance the top end. But it seems like you have come up with a unique spin on it. Can't wait to demo.
Yea, that's a cool trick too, but I try to bring something unique to each product I develop. I DO have ideas for a future product that would do some of what the Dolby trick did, but that's for another time…
Selig Audio, LLC

sonicbyte

21 Dec 2021

Congrats for the release Selig

integerpoet

21 Dec 2021

Somebody please remind me in six weeks or so I wanted to try this when I didn't have time. :-)

challism

21 Dec 2021

Congrats on the release, Giles. Another excellent device in the Selig Audio line. I just wanted to share one of my favorite uses of this device, and that is to use the "fizz out" line as a percussive effect. It can make some really cool sounds, sometimes sounding like a brush on a snare, depending on the audio input, of course. It seems like the lower quality audio sample/input will have better sounding brush scratch sounds. Anyway... I really enjoy this device and I hope you all do, too.

Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2021

You always know you're gonna get something extremely useful from Selig

Can't wait to try it!

guitfnky

21 Dec 2021

selig wrote:
21 Dec 2021
…everything but a Shop link…
devs, please please PLEASE start including links to the Shop in your announcement posts. not sure if you don’t want to appear like you’re trying to hawk a product, or just forgot, but you ARE trying to hawk a product that people WANT to check out! make it easy for us to support you! 😅😄

edit: never mind—I just realized it says the product is only “about to launch”. my bad. 🤦🏻‍♂️ but don’t let me see this release without a link to the Shop. 😂
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

rcbuse
RE Developer

21 Dec 2021

Looks great! Can't wait to try it out

Despondo
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2021

Looking forward to adding this to my Selig RE Arsenal of specialty tools that are extremely useful! Congrats Giles!

NMHindman

21 Dec 2021

Congrats Giles! Exciting, unique, and useful, typical of Selig.

Bes
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2021

haven't seen it in the shop yet but it looks intersting. congrats on the new release Giles
- Certified Reason expert

Creativemind

21 Dec 2021

Looks / sounds great. As others have said, yet another useful device in the Selig arsenal. I use Gain and your De-Esser a lot in projects.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

moneykube

21 Dec 2021

interesting :thumbup:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Dec 2021

Yada yada yada ... same old thing ...

It's just yet another brilliant device from Selig.

So unoriginal ;)

selig
RE Developer

22 Dec 2021

Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

22 Dec 2021

looking forward to trying this out. I’ve got a couple of other enhancement tools—both RE and VST—and haven’t had good results with them. really looks like the approach here could fill my need.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Ottostrom

22 Dec 2021

Congrats on the release! Will be giving it a spin when I get my computer back :)

littlejam

22 Dec 2021

hello,

bought, locked, and loaded

thank you Seligiles

nice release date, too

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

TheGodOfRainbows

23 Dec 2021

Congrats on the release! I still don't have Coloring EQ, but I want this now too. I never got coloring eq because I haven't caught a good sale of it. I'm sorry Giles to be that way, but over the years, I've been conditioned to never pay full price for a plugin. If I may ask, why no introduction sale price on this?

Yonatan

24 Dec 2021

Sizzling Christmas 💫
Got to try this one out.

challism

24 Dec 2021

Yonatan wrote:
24 Dec 2021
Sizzling Christmas 💫
Got to try this one out.
ha ha, yeah... good luck having a white Christmas with Selig Infuser melting all the snow.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

integerpoet

24 Dec 2021

littlejam wrote:
22 Dec 2021
thank you Seligiles
I am officially the last person on the forum to realize Selig is Giles backward and vice versa.

I am so embarrassed by this that I decided to call everyone's attention to it so they can point and laugh, enabling me to experience the depth of humiliation I deserve.

• Information