Dune 3

Discuss VST stuff here!
rootwheel

19 Dec 2021

I am planning to try the demo of Dune 3.5 out during the week but thought I would ask on here first if many people have had much experience running this excellent sounding instrument as a VST within Reason? Does it perform well? Is it stable?

Let me know your experiences! :)

riemac

19 Dec 2021

Dune 3.5 performs very well in Reason. For what Dune does it is very CPU efficient, that's the reason why Dune is one off my favorate VSTs.

LaudusDeWire

19 Dec 2021

Hi rootwheel,

Dune 3.5 works fine and stable with reason (v11/v12).

If you are on a new M1 Mac you should try to turn on/off "use multi-core audio rendering" and "use hyper-threading audio rendering" if you recognize any crackling.

Overall its a great synth that brings a lot of fun! :-)

All the best
Claudius
Soundcloud

:reason: R12 | 🎹 Sequential Pro 3 | 🥁 Arturia Drum Brute Impact | 🎛 Synapse Dune 3

rootwheel

21 Dec 2021

Well I've finally got round to downloading and trying to install the demo Mac version from their website but it turns out that the demo package only includes AAX, AU and VST3!

I've emailed Synapse Audio support to see if they can update their demo to also include VST2 so I can test this thing out in Reason and see if I want to purchase :)

MattLeschuck

21 Dec 2021

Here is an enhanced version of the default skin i did if anyone is interested. I basically darkened everything (gave it more contrast), added some more color (red) and got rid of the wood grain :). Simple, but I find it easier to navigate with more definition.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1niO-uc ... sp=sharing

1.jpg
1.jpg (963.84 KiB) Viewed 2942 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (946.58 KiB) Viewed 2942 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (1001.29 KiB) Viewed 2942 times

dezma

28 Dec 2021

Highly recommended. It might miss some of the more exotic synthesis methods of other flagships, but the CPU efficiency and the sound quality is incredibe.

I did a test a while ago, I'll share the results.
Using the melody of system f - out of the blue I compared CPU consumption with about same number of osc's in each synth.

Results are:
Dune3 = 1%
Spire = 4%
Avenger = 10%
Pigments = 14%

All synths are on the latest update.
Studio one 5.4 running on laptop with AMD R9 5900HS.

Onedrive link:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aikl1wIggdXrioctPXv ... Q?e=GQv7sD

Can you pick which one is dune3?

Note: all rights of the melody off course belong to system f.
Note2: CPU performance was measured on battery. Plugged in the figures are roughly 45% less (which makes dune3 bounce between 0 and 1%)

rootwheel

29 Dec 2021

dezma wrote:
28 Dec 2021
Highly recommended. It might miss some of the more exotic synthesis methods of other flagships, but the CPU efficiency and the sound quality is incredibe.

Using the melody of system f - out of the blue I compared CPU consumption with about same number of osc's in each synth.

Results are:
Dune3 = 1%
Spire = 4%
Avenger = 10%
Pigments = 14%

Onedrive link:

Note2: CPU performance was measured on battery. Plugged in the figures are roughly 45% less (which makes dune3 bounce between 0 and 1%)
Wow, couldn't tell the difference between those test samples of each synth.

Do you use Dune 3 as a VST2 in Reason DAW? If so, do you find it works well - no crashes etc.?

I'm still waiting to hear back from Synapse if there's a VST2 demo I can try but if you're finding it's stable in Reason I might just bite the bullet and go for it...

riemac

29 Dec 2021

rootwheel wrote:
29 Dec 2021
dezma wrote:
28 Dec 2021

Results are:
Dune3 = 1%
Spire = 4%
Avenger = 10%
Pigments = 14%

Onedrive link:

Do you use Dune 3 as a VST2 in Reason DAW? If so, do you find it works well - no crashes etc.?

I'm still waiting to hear back from Synapse if there's a VST2 demo I can try but if you're finding it's stable in Reason I might just bite the bullet and go for it...
I am using Dune 3.5 as VST 2 and it is as stable as it gets. I would go for it.

dezma

29 Dec 2021

rootwheel wrote:
29 Dec 2021

I've been sending them to the same bus and then used the same external EQ, reverb and delay to keep the comparison only on OSC and filters.

Honestly, I'd just go for it. To me the developer (Richard) also seems like a fair guy, I once got a free crossgrade to legend vst after buying the synapse RE bundle.

For me one of the only things I'd like to see changed is a more up to date arp

I'm running VST3 in studio one 5 but have been running VST2 in the past without any issues.

rootwheel

06 Jan 2022

Cheers all, bought the VST2. All working perfectly in Reason - what a synth it is!

EnochLight

26 Feb 2022

MattLeschuck wrote:
21 Dec 2021
Here is an enhanced version of the default skin i did if anyone is interested. I basically darkened everything (gave it more contrast), added some more color (red) and got rid of the wood grain :). Simple, but I find it easier to navigate with more definition.

Hey - thanks for sharing this skin!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MattLeschuck

27 Feb 2022

EnochLight wrote:
26 Feb 2022
MattLeschuck wrote:
21 Dec 2021

Hey - thanks for sharing this skin!
No problem! Are you much of a Dune 3 user? I feel like I have seen you post about it (maybe im wrong) If you like Dune, i highly recommend checking out Parawave Rapid if you haven’t.

EnochLight

28 Feb 2022

MattLeschuck wrote:
27 Feb 2022

No problem! Are you much of a Dune 3 user? I feel like I have seen you post about it (maybe im wrong) If you like Dune, i highly recommend checking out Parawave Rapid if you haven’t.
I’ve read a bit about Rapid, but it seems more along the lines of VPS Avenger (which I already have) instead of Dune. Also not a fan of Rapid’s GUI/UX, personally. But it’s nice to see such a new dev give the older ones a run for their money!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MattLeschuck

01 Mar 2022

EnochLight wrote:
28 Feb 2022
MattLeschuck wrote:
27 Feb 2022

I’ve read a bit about Rapid, but it seems more along the lines of VPS Avenger (which I already have) instead of Dune. Also not a fan of Rapid’s GUI/UX, personally. But it’s nice to see such a new dev give the older ones a run for their money!
Its very similar to Dune in the 8 layer, 3 voice per layer setup. Plus it has REALLY good effects like Dune. Maybe even better. And just to confirm you have seen it with its latest GUI? The original one was really bad. The new one i find really easy on the eyes.
Rapid1.jpg
Rapid1.jpg (945.6 KiB) Viewed 2321 times

EnochLight

01 Mar 2022

MattLeschuck wrote:
01 Mar 2022
Its very similar to Dune in the 8 layer, 3 voice per layer setup. Plus it has REALLY good effects like Dune. Maybe even better. And just to confirm you have seen it with its latest GUI? The original one was really bad. The new one i find really easy on the eyes.
No I hadn't seen that - definitely looks better than the original. :thumbup: Still, I have Dune 3.5 and VPS Avenger, as well as DS Thorn so I'm literally saturated with choices as far as this genre of synth goes. Cool to see it has some fans, though! This will keep the more experienced industry players on their toes, and all that. :clap:

MattLeschuck

01 Mar 2022

EnochLight wrote:
01 Mar 2022
MattLeschuck wrote:
01 Mar 2022
No I hadn't seen that - definitely looks better than the original. :thumbup: Still, I have Dune 3.5 and VPS Avenger, as well as DS Thorn so I'm literally saturated with choices as far as this genre of synth goes. Cool to see it has some fans, though! This will keep the more experienced industry players on their toes, and all that. :clap:
DS Thorn is one of (if not) my favorite synths. Both for its simple GUI and its ability to get creative so easily. Not to mention, the dev Dmitry is one of the most responsive nice guys I have talked to in the business. Thorn reminds me of a beefed up Europa.

Its just a great sounding synth that can go from super digital to chillwave / lo-fi easily.

Dune 3 (as was Antidote) was my go to synth for a long time. I had actually never heard of Rapid until recently. Its the first synth were I feel its an all in one.. As in it has everything within in to create all the sounds i need. Rarely do i have to reach outside of it for separate effects / modulation.

Anyways, ill stop rambling and trying to sell Rapid lol. Sounds like you are covered with a great setup :).

EnochLight

01 Mar 2022

MattLeschuck wrote:
01 Mar 2022
Anyways, ill stop rambling and trying to sell Rapid lol. Sounds like you are covered with a great setup :).
:lol: Yeah, I'm good. Glad to see you enjoy it so much, though - it's so rare when we find that "perfect device/instrument/whatever" that ticks all of the right boxes. :thumbup:

• Information