Player Bug Pattern Mutator

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Billy+

13 Dec 2021

So I've had time to go through the collection and I've got an error very similar to the original posted, I'm currently in the process of uploading a video but it's taking a long time in the que so I will update once completed and PM the project file as soon as I can.

Billy+

13 Dec 2021

I'm not sure how long the que on sendvid will take but it's been hours so far so I'm posting the link in the hope that it should be available for viewing tonight or tomorrow

https://sendvid.com/g9zbgr1z

It's another 4 bar pattern being transposed that errors every even repeat while looped at bar 3?

Billy+

15 Dec 2021

Finally the video is available ^

joeyluck

15 Dec 2021

Billy+ wrote:
13 Dec 2021
I'm not sure how long the que on sendvid will take but it's been hours so far so I'm posting the link in the hope that it should be available for viewing tonight or tomorrow

It's another 4 bar pattern being transposed that errors every even repeat while looped at bar 3?
I encountered a similar bug with AutoLatch. Seems like it might be a general bug of players?

Billy+

15 Dec 2021

joeyluck wrote:
15 Dec 2021
Billy+ wrote:
13 Dec 2021

I encountered a similar bug with AutoLatch. Seems like it might be a general bug of players?
Well I've PMed a project file that replicates the bug to the appropriate person and shall await the magic to happen which didn't take to long for the first bug I found however this one is a lot stranger even though the outcome is very similar.

Did you report the autolatch bug? I also like using that very handy little device and I still haven't spent enough time using delta.

Oh and is there any chance of getting sendvid [video] tag enabled?

joeyluck

15 Dec 2021

Billy+ wrote:
15 Dec 2021
joeyluck wrote:
15 Dec 2021

Well I've PMed a project file that replicates the bug to the appropriate person and shall await the magic to happen which didn't take to long for the first bug I found however this one is a lot stranger even though the outcome is very similar.

Did you report the autolatch bug? I also like using that very handy little device and I still haven't spent enough time using delta.

Oh and is there any chance of getting sendvid [video] tag enabled?
Yes I reported the AutoLatch bug.

We probably wouldn't add anything for sendvid. It doesn't sound optimal anyways... You had to wait several days for it to become available? And then the videos are only hosted temporarily right? [EDIT] I see here it says they remain as long as they are viewed once every 90 days.

I think you are best using something else if you want to embed video or just stick to sharing links. It's free to post on YouTube and you can create unlisted posts, so you don't need to have a presence on YouTube to do that. I post and share things there and through my Google Drive or Google Photos.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

16 Dec 2021

buddard wrote:
02 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
02 Nov 2021
and it you can find a bug and need to update Mutator is there any chance you can bump the steps to 128 ;)
But the step display is just 2 digits, so that's impossible. :lol:

Fun fact: The step limit was 64 in the original spec.

One word.... Hexadecimal.... FF = 255 (so just add '1' to it)

buddard
RE Developer

16 Dec 2021

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
16 Dec 2021
buddard wrote:
02 Nov 2021

OK, 255 steps it is then! :lol:

Kidding aside, this is not my call since I'm not the product owner. I suggest that you send that feature request to Reason Studios!

rootwheel

16 Dec 2021

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
16 Dec 2021
buddard wrote:
02 Nov 2021

Or have the first step be on 00, that way 00 - FF gives 256 discrete steps :)

However, as per my mockup earlier, there is ample room within the interface to have three digits in the steps area so the count can be in base10 and go up to 128.

Buddard, is there someone specific as product owner at Reason Studios who could make this happen? :)

challism

16 Dec 2021

Billy+ wrote:
09 Dec 2021
Not sure who changed the status to solved but as the op I haven't checked yet and although the initial discussion covers one patch the collection I have built was far more and will take time to test before I can confirm.
Sorry, Billy. I think that was me. I saw the device was updated and assumed the bug was fixed. I may have jumped the gun on marking the issue as solved.

There appear to be a number of global bugs affecting the players. I RS can figure out what is causing them and fix the issues.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Billy+

16 Dec 2021

challism wrote:
16 Dec 2021
Billy+ wrote:
09 Dec 2021
Not sure who changed the status to solved but as the op I haven't checked yet and although the initial discussion covers one patch the collection I have built was far more and will take time to test before I can confirm.
Sorry, Billy. I think that was me. I saw the device was updated and assumed the bug was fixed. I may have jumped the gun on marking the issue as solved.

There appear to be a number of global bugs affecting the players. I RS can figure out what is causing them and fix the issues.
No worries I too was hoping that it was fixed and to be fair the initial bug is gone and I have only found this one patch to cause a problem so hopefully it can be fixed in the player and not in R12 as I'm definitely not ready to spend £200 for a fix until R12 is fixed with at least a working feature set and preferably something useful to me :lol:

buddard
RE Developer

16 Dec 2021

Billy+ wrote:
16 Dec 2021
challism wrote:
16 Dec 2021

No worries I too was hoping that it was fixed and to be fair the initial bug is gone and I have only found this one patch to cause a problem so hopefully it can be fixed in the player and not in R12 as I'm definitely not ready to spend £200 for a fix until R12 is fixed with at least a working feature set and preferably something useful to me :lol:
Yes, it will be fixed in the player itself (once I find the problem), and it will still be compatible with Reason 10.2 and upwards.

Billy+

16 Dec 2021

buddard wrote:
16 Dec 2021
Billy+ wrote:
16 Dec 2021

Yes, it will be fixed in the player itself (once I find the problem), and it will still be compatible with Reason 10.2 and upwards.
Excellent news :thumbs_up: I assume it replicated via the project file?

joeyluck

16 Dec 2021

buddard wrote:
16 Dec 2021
Billy+ wrote:
16 Dec 2021

If you manage to figure out the cause of the problem and the fix, could you share it here or in the RE SDK forum? There are other players that seem to have the same bug.

buddard
RE Developer

17 Dec 2021

joeyluck wrote:
16 Dec 2021
buddard wrote:
16 Dec 2021

If you manage to figure out the cause of the problem and the fix, could you share it here or in the RE SDK forum? There are other players that seem to have the same bug.
Well, I'm pretty sure that I have found and fixed the problem now!

However, I don't know when the fix will be released since we're all going on holidays now, and I need to coordinate with product management at RS, they need to test it etc.
So most likely sometime after the new year.

Long story short:

Loops in Reason's sequencer cause some problems for REs, because when you jump from R to L you can't know 100% what will happen at L until you've already passed it. So notes that should play exactly on the L marker will start between 0 - 63 samples late.
The bug in Mutator was that the lengths of those notes were not compensated correctly, and this could result in unwanted legatos/ties under some very specific circumstances.

artotaku

17 Dec 2021

buddard wrote:
17 Dec 2021
joeyluck wrote:
16 Dec 2021

However, I don't know when the fix will be released since we're all going on holidays now, and I need to coordinate with product management at RS, they need to test it etc.

Long story short:

Loops in Reason's sequencer cause some problems for REs, because when you jump from R to L you can't know 100% what will happen at L until you've already passed it. So notes that should play exactly on the L marker will start between 0 - 63 samples late.
The bug in Mutator was that the lengths of those notes were not compensated correctly, and this could result in unwanted legatos/ties under some very specific circumstances.
If it is of any help, since a RE can ask for the R pos loop marker it will know when the song pos will return to L position right before (0 - 63 samples) the R marker is reached and can prepare stuff. In some cases this might help but depends if data is available before the jump back has taken place.

buddard
RE Developer

17 Dec 2021

artotaku wrote:
17 Dec 2021
buddard wrote:
17 Dec 2021

Long story short:

If it is of any help, since a RE can ask for the R pos loop marker it will know when the song pos will return to L position right before (0 - 63 samples) the R marker is reached and can prepare stuff. In some cases this might help but depends if data is available before the jump back has taken place.
Yes, we do use this to some extent. For instance we use the R position to skip notes that occur on the R marker. But even knowing the exact location of the L marker still doesn't give us enough information about what to expect when we jump there.

This is because transport properties, such as time signature, tempo, pattern selection and pattern offset, only apply to the beginning of the current batch, so they will only tell us what happens before the R marker, not after it. So if there's for instance another pattern selected at the position of the L marker, we won't know it until the next batch starts...

That is why the slight delay of the first note at L is inevitable.
We could make an educated guess, of course, but if we guess wrong and play the wrong note it's a lot more annoying than a practically inaudible delay. :puf_smile:

Billy+

17 Dec 2021

buddard wrote:
17 Dec 2021

That's great news :clap:

The play issues are very annoying and what I find strange about this one was that if I duplicated the input midi making it an 8 bar loop I couldn't get it to error it would only error as a single 4 bar loop starting on bar 1 in the sequencer and it wouldn't error if I moved it to the next 4 bars.

Still I'm hoping that I've found them all and I can start using the patterns (don't worry I will test them all again and update the thread asap)

buddard
RE Developer

17 Dec 2021

Billy+ wrote:
17 Dec 2021
buddard wrote:
17 Dec 2021

That's great news :clap:

The play issues are very annoying and what I find strange about this one was that if I duplicated the input midi making it an 8 bar loop I couldn't get it to error it would only error as a single 4 bar loop starting on bar 1 in the sequencer and it wouldn't error if I moved it to the next 4 bars.

Still I'm hoping that I've found them all and I can start using the patterns (don't worry I will test them all again and update the thread asap)
Well, as I explained in the rest of my post, the bug was in our handling of loops in Reason's main sequencer.
So playback should work perfectly when you play a song straight through or bounce it. It's when the playhead "jumps" (for example due to looping) that the bug can appear, and only under very special conditions.

Billy+

05 Jan 2022

Any update on the fix / update availability?

• Information