DRUM EDIT MODE FOR UMPF

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
artmessiah

15 Dec 2021

Why doesn't UMPF have a sequencer drum edit function like Redrum and Korg? I understand we can make patterns directly on the UMPF rack, but it would great to have a drum editor via the sequencer for longer loops. BTW I know all the tips around making longer loops with UMPF and the Drum Sequencer player (the pattern banks, pattern lanes in the sequencer, pre made pattern blocks like Kickback couture does, etc). I still think having a sequencer drum editor would be a great addition and yes I know a piano roll is necessary if you use umpf for anything other than drums, but still a drum editor option would awesome.
Last edited by artmessiah on 17 Dec 2021, edited 2 times in total.

jam-s

15 Dec 2021

That's because they launched the UMPF series of devices together with the Drum Sequencer player and having an inbuilt sequencer would have been redundant.

And it still seems to be the way they intend you to use it: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bundle/umpf-bundle/

artmessiah

15 Dec 2021

jam-s wrote:
15 Dec 2021
That's because they launched the UMPF series of devices together with the Drum Sequencer player and having an inbuilt sequencer would have been redundant.

And it still seems to be the way they intend you to use it: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bundle/umpf-bundle/

No I get that I can use the drum sequencer player (which I have and use all the time), but you can also use the drum sequencer player with Kong and Redrum and Redrum already has a built in sequencer and yet there is STILL a drum edit IN the main sequencer, I was just wondering why there isn't a drum edit function for UMPF. I like using the sequencer editor and although I can just send midi to track via the player or use patterns, I would be nice to have the same functionality with UMPF as with the other drum machines. I also noticed Rytmik doesn't have a drum edit function either - again something that I think should be fixed.

crimsonwarlock

16 Dec 2021

Maybe this is because Redrum and Kong are native in Reason, while the others are rack extensions. Seems logical that REs can't integrate into the sequencer editor.

EDIT: not sure Rytmik is an RE, but it is probably built like one.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

16 Dec 2021

artmessiah wrote:
15 Dec 2021
Why doesn't UMPF have a sequencer drum edit function like Redrum and Korg?
It does, you just have to switch to it in the sequencer.
Selig Audio, LLC

Pepin

16 Dec 2021

selig wrote:
16 Dec 2021
artmessiah wrote:
15 Dec 2021
You can technically switch to drum edit mode, but it's not useful since the notes aren't labeled as they are for Redrum/Kong.
Pretty sure it's an SDK limitation.

I think it would be useful if we could just manually rename the notes in Drum Edit mode, for a given track. The same issue comes up with native drum devices once you use a Combinator.

Pepin

16 Dec 2021

Also, I think there's a workaround for Umpf/Rytmik if you attach Kong's gate outs to the gate ins of those devices.
You can then name the Kong pads whatever you like and use the Kong track to sequence the drums.

Billy+

16 Dec 2021

Pepin wrote:
16 Dec 2021
Also, I think there's a workaround for Umpf/Rytmik if you attach Kong's gate outs to the gate ins of those devices.
You can then name the Kong pads whatever you like and use the Kong track to sequence the drums.
This is the simplest solution to getting a drum track with named gates.

If you want to do the same using redrum you can create blank audio files and name them then use the gate out and sequencer but it's a lot more hassle unless you're willing to create it as a template preset and don't change names very often or take the time to create the blank audio files that cover all the names you want/use.

selig
RE Developer

16 Dec 2021

Pepin wrote:
16 Dec 2021
That's a great workaround if you absolutely must have names in the sequencer. I've been using pretty much the same MIDI note numbers for drums for almost 40 years now, so it's not something I miss or even think about any more!
Selig Audio, LLC

Baylo

16 Dec 2021

selig wrote:
16 Dec 2021
I've been using pretty much the same MIDI note numbers for drums for almost 40 years now, so it's not something I miss or even think about any more!
I suspect those of us who grew up in the era of General MIDI have certain MIDI note numbers permanently imprinted on our brains...

artmessiah

16 Dec 2021

crimsonwarlock wrote:
16 Dec 2021
Maybe this is because Redrum and Kong are native in Reason, while the others are rack extensions. Seems logical that REs can't integrate into the sequencer editor.

EDIT: not sure Rytmik is an RE, but it is probably built like one.
That may be the case. Seems logical I guess.

Pepin wrote:
16 Dec 2021
Awesome workaround! Pretty much gives me what I want. Although I still think this should be something looked about by Reason Studios. :puf_smile: Thanks everyone for the great input :D :D :D

artmessiah

16 Dec 2021

selig wrote:
16 Dec 2021
artmessiah wrote:
15 Dec 2021
BTW I didn't know this until you told me this today. :lol:

challism

16 Dec 2021

selig wrote:
16 Dec 2021
artmessiah wrote:
15 Dec 2021
In case anybody doesn't understand how to switch it.... it's this button on the right side of the sequencer.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (47.87 KiB) Viewed 6554 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

RandomNoise

16 Dec 2021

challism wrote:
16 Dec 2021
selig wrote:
16 Dec 2021

In case anybody doesn't understand how to switch it.... it's this button on the right side of the sequencer.

Capture.JPG
But it doesn't match up nicely with the number of parts or updated with the drums labels like the rest (even Rytmik does that)

RandomNoise

16 Dec 2021

RandomNoise wrote:
16 Dec 2021
challism wrote:
16 Dec 2021

Capture.JPG
But it doesn't match up nicely with the number of parts or updated with the drums labels like the rest (even Rytmik does that)
Ah, come to think about it, I've never noticed the fact that there are no actual labels to edit on the Umpf racks..

RandomNoise

16 Dec 2021

Pepin wrote:
16 Dec 2021
selig wrote:
16 Dec 2021

You can technically switch to drum edit mode, but it's not useful since the notes aren't labeled as they are for Redrum/Kong.
Pretty sure it's an SDK limitation.

I think it would be useful if we could just manually rename the notes in Drum Edit mode, for a given track. The same issue comes up with native drum devices once you use a Combinator.
Oops, totally missed that it was already mentioned by Pepin :D

selig
RE Developer

16 Dec 2021

RandomNoise wrote:
16 Dec 2021
RandomNoise wrote:
16 Dec 2021

Ah, come to think about it, I've never noticed the fact that there are no actual labels to edit on the Umpf racks..
Nor on ReDrum either, but it’s still able to pass the sample names to the sequencer….
Selig Audio, LLC

RandomNoise

16 Dec 2021

selig wrote:
16 Dec 2021
RandomNoise wrote:
16 Dec 2021

Nor on ReDrum either, but it’s still able to pass the sample names to the sequencer….
True

• Information