Reason Studios updates their roadmap (November 17, 2021)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7720
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 04 Dec 2021

Loque wrote:
03 Dec 2021
You must be really old if yoú do not know the dance on the gif :lol:
Billy+ wrote:
03 Dec 2021
Well my grandson..
:lol: :clap:

Image
Win 10 | Enabling the Abelton ABLERS Live 11 Suite-Ably |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

michael.jaye
Posts: 256
Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post 04 Dec 2021

jamespember wrote:
03 Dec 2021
We are obviously aware we could've sent the email out at the same time as the blog post. However, we chose to put the email out to coincide with the Q&A that went out on Instagram at the same time. So users could ask questions of David just after having read the email. The reason this happened after the original blog post posting is that we didn't want to do the Instagram Q&A in the middle of all the Black Friday Week noise.
What is this Instagram Q&A that you speak of? Was there an email about that?

jamespember
Reason Studios
Posts: 1590
Joined: 05 Feb 2020

Post 04 Dec 2021

michael.jaye wrote:
04 Dec 2021
jamespember wrote:
03 Dec 2021
We are obviously aware we could've sent the email out at the same time as the blog post. However, we chose to put the email out to coincide with the Q&A that went out on Instagram at the same time. So users could ask questions of David just after having read the email. The reason this happened after the original blog post posting is that we didn't want to do the Instagram Q&A in the middle of all the Black Friday Week noise.
What is this Instagram Q&A that you speak of? Was there an email about that?
We used the "ask us anything" feature in Instagram Stories to collect questions. We've got hundreds of questions now, you'll see answers go out next week I'd suspect. Make sure to follow us on IG!

Fraxis
Posts: 85
Joined: 07 Apr 2015

Post 04 Dec 2021

jamespember wrote:
03 Dec 2021
michael.jaye wrote:
02 Dec 2021
In the year of our lord 2021, there is no reason an email can't be sent *instantly*, say for example, as soon as the blog was posted.

Really looks unprofessional.
We are obviously aware we could've sent the email out at the same time as the blog post. However, we chose to put the email out to coincide with the Q&A that went out on Instagram at the same time. So users could ask questions of David just after having read the email. The reason this happened after the original blog post posting is that we didn't want to do the Instagram Q&A in the middle of all the Black Friday Week noise.
IMHO, as someone who does this kind of thing for a living, you should have sent the email at the same time as the blog post and then, if you wanted to subsequently remind people so that they could refresh their memories, included a link back to it when promoting the Q&A. Hope you'll at least consider something like that next time. Thanks.

User avatar
Social Exodus
Posts: 388
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: The wilds of North Idaho

Post 04 Dec 2021

Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

bangaio
Posts: 109
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 07 Dec 2021

Wow you guys really are going all in on IG aren't you. I wonder what a small subset of feedback and questions you will get from a large but specific demographic.

I have to say the RS IG "team" seems to just repost anything that has tagged RS in it (keeping the IG algorithmic wheels spinning in the process).

My favourite one so far was the pictures and videos of their new office studio (a rack with a no doubt unused for show HW synth or two) a sign, some snazzy lights and a desktop with a computer (got to keep up with all those other influencers) and they added a video of a producer in there making some light techno thing in Ableton using alligator and not a lot else. Great promotion there of what your platform can do!

User avatar
SuryaDnB
Posts: 13
Joined: 27 Jan 2021

Post 11 Dec 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
18 Nov 2021
I still can't believe he doesn't even mention any plans to improve the sequencer... So sad.
Yup. That was on the previous version of the road map, so this is not an improvement!
Currently on Reason 12. Very disappointed with the updates in the last two versions.

rootwheel
Posts: 264
Joined: 21 Aug 2021

Post 13 Dec 2021

Now Bassline Generator has been released, anyone got any ideas what this New Effect on the roadmap could be? All we have is that: 'it is a modern take on a classic effect, planned for early 2022. Co-founder and DSP guru Peter is locked away in the lab cooking up something amazing. We’re not quite ready to share more details yet but we think you’ll really like it!'

What possible classic effect is Reason Studios still missing from their repertoire at this point? I'm scratching my head trying to think...

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 2008
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 13 Dec 2021

rootwheel wrote:
13 Dec 2021
What possible classic effect is Reason Studios still missing from their repertoire at this point? I'm scratching my head trying to think...
Perhaps a dedicated tape emulation or a classic compressor like RE2A.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace. ... Pool's closed due to corona.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2937
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 13 Dec 2021

'it is a modern take on a classic effect, planned for early 2022. Co-founder and DSP guru Peter is locked away in the lab cooking up something amazing. We’re not quite ready to share more details yet but we think you’ll really like it!'

Maybe a RS Random Roadmap Generator?
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

scotward57
Posts: 113
Joined: 28 Jul 2019

Post 14 Dec 2021

rootwheel wrote:
13 Dec 2021
What possible classic effect is Reason Studios still missing from their repertoire at this point? I'm scratching my head trying to think...
Not in a million years do I think this is it, but I don't see where any software company has ever done the Uni-vibe any justice. There's something about its unique circuitry that software has never been able to replicate, IMO. Of course lots of people feel the same about Leslie simulations.

I just hope it's not another stutter this, granular that or some new take on lo-fi or atmosphere. Been done to death.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 7828
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 14 Dec 2021

scotward57 wrote:
14 Dec 2021
I don't see where any software company has ever done the Uni-vibe any justice.
Audiority, IKMultimedia, Turn2on.

Uni-Vibe was also the first thing that sprung to my mind but I don’t think that’d take them months and months of programming. Guessing some advance tremolo effect which could also cover stuff like vibrato, vibe etc. blah!!
丰2ॐ

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 7828
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 14 Dec 2021

bxbrkrz wrote:
13 Dec 2021
'it is a modern take on a classic effect, planned for early 2022. Co-founder and DSP guru Peter is locked away in the lab cooking up something amazing. We’re not quite ready to share more details yet but we think you’ll really like it!'

Maybe a RS Random Roadmap Generator?
Hahahahahahahahahaha. Best comment so far today.

丰2ॐ

doze
Posts: 111
Joined: 30 Jan 2019

Post 14 Dec 2021

Maybe it's RE-coin, we'll be mining our rewards. ;)

jlgrimes
Posts: 599
Joined: 06 Jun 2017

Post 19 Dec 2021

earwig83 wrote:
22 Nov 2021
EnochLight wrote:
22 Nov 2021


That's a good approach, especially if you've invested 20 years into Reason. :thumbup: :clap:
At the end of the day, my expressed frustrations are due to a profound love for this program. It's funny, because it was always a bit of a a slippery slope for me. When it came to choosing and staying with Reason, it was because I truly believed in a lot of Reason's usage paradigms and continue to believe in them strongly.

The driving force however is that Reason has always touted their backwards compatibility and that is something I really took as a serious value proposition as a long-term hobbyist with hundreds and hundreds of stems spanning years. The ability to always be able to open old files and continue right where I left off really is something special that very few other DAWS offer in any real parallel. I remember getting burned early on by cubase and immediately swore off big DAWs and took a shine to Reason. Despite the lack of wave editing at the time, there was still everything I needed to make electronic music and technically, there still is!

That has all now since slightly changed things with VST introductions but still, Reason manages to contain everything in a way that is really convenient and cool. I'm able to open songs from 20 years ago and nothing really changes, yet so much has been added!

But there is a caveat, it has trapped a large part of my musical explorations in a proprietary format that looks to be heading toward subscriptions and potentially other kinds of things I may not like. Who knows... such is life, but I can't simply just jump ship and not at least try to make a little bit of a stink with the others who are feeling disillusioned by Reason Studios two steps forward, one step back approach. I'm still hoping in between my complaints.
I would think most DAWS are backwards compatible especially if bouncing synths to audio. And self containing samples.

VSTs are the biggest culprits especially as they go to newer versions.


At some point you update Kontakt 5 to Kontakt 6 and no longer put 5 on your new machine. Some VSTS like Omnisphere new versions are the same plugin as the old version to help support backwards compatibility.

User avatar
Jagwah
Posts: 2243
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 20 Dec 2021

SuryaDnB wrote:
11 Dec 2021
sonicbyte wrote:
18 Nov 2021
I still can't believe he doesn't even mention any plans to improve the sequencer... So sad.
Yup. That was on the previous version of the road map, so this is not an improvement!
After all this time they finally tell us what we really want to hear - then take it away and just stop talking about it. :clap:
:reason: It's all about the plo, yo.

earwig83
Posts: 186
Joined: 21 Mar 2015

Post 21 Dec 2021

jlgrimes wrote:
19 Dec 2021
earwig83 wrote:
22 Nov 2021


At the end of the day, my expressed frustrations are due to a profound love for this program. It's funny, because it was always a bit of a a slippery slope for me. When it came to choosing and staying with Reason, it was because I truly believed in a lot of Reason's usage paradigms and continue to believe in them strongly.

The driving force however is that Reason has always touted their backwards compatibility and that is something I really took as a serious value proposition as a long-term hobbyist with hundreds and hundreds of stems spanning years. The ability to always be able to open old files and continue right where I left off really is something special that very few other DAWS offer in any real parallel. I remember getting burned early on by cubase and immediately swore off big DAWs and took a shine to Reason. Despite the lack of wave editing at the time, there was still everything I needed to make electronic music and technically, there still is!

That has all now since slightly changed things with VST introductions but still, Reason manages to contain everything in a way that is really convenient and cool. I'm able to open songs from 20 years ago and nothing really changes, yet so much has been added!

But there is a caveat, it has trapped a large part of my musical explorations in a proprietary format that looks to be heading toward subscriptions and potentially other kinds of things I may not like. Who knows... such is life, but I can't simply just jump ship and not at least try to make a little bit of a stink with the others who are feeling disillusioned by Reason Studios two steps forward, one step back approach. I'm still hoping in between my complaints.
I would think most DAWS are backwards compatible especially if bouncing synths to audio. And self containing samples.

VSTs are the biggest culprits especially as they go to newer versions.


At some point you update Kontakt 5 to Kontakt 6 and no longer put 5 on your new machine. Some VSTS like Omnisphere new versions are the same plugin as the old version to help support backwards compatibility.
was willing to take the risk on the VSTs for the ability to finally use them with reason.

And no, many programs like cubase have been terrible with trying to open old files in new versions, in my experience. Part of what turned me on permanently to reason.

But it is true that the VST and even the RE paradigms have broken the continuity. I can no longer share song with my friend even if he had all the vsts, because RS have discontinued some REs over time. Which was never supposed to happen, but did. So now it is worst than having a rare pedal because of the way licenses are managed. Software is evil, even if cool. Strictly an opinion though.

earwig83
Posts: 186
Joined: 21 Mar 2015

Post 21 Dec 2021

Jagwah wrote:
20 Dec 2021
SuryaDnB wrote:
11 Dec 2021

Yup. That was on the previous version of the road map, so this is not an improvement!
After all this time they finally tell us what we really want to hear - then take it away and just stop talking about it. :clap:
it's a terrible company. they simply are protecting their own interests. they are no longer a darling in this space.

User avatar
Aquila
Posts: 688
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 28 Dec 2021

I remember in the V12 launch thread there was talk about RS working on a fix for their questionable obliteration of the mixer's insert controls.

Yeah. How's that going?

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7720
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 28 Dec 2021

Aquila wrote:
28 Dec 2021
I remember in the V12 launch thread there was talk about RS working on a fix for their questionable obliteration of the mixer's insert controls.

Yeah. How's that going?
It's going fine as far as I can tell.
Win 10 | Enabling the Abelton ABLERS Live 11 Suite-Ably |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
Aquila
Posts: 688
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 28 Dec 2021

It's not in their roadmap though, so I have my doubts.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7720
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 28 Dec 2021

No reason to have it in their roadmap, IMHO.
Win 10 | Enabling the Abelton ABLERS Live 11 Suite-Ably |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9668
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Dec 2021

Aquila wrote:
28 Dec 2021
I remember in the V12 launch thread there was talk about RS working on a fix for their questionable obliteration of the mixer's insert controls.

Yeah. How's that going?
It was fixed in 12.2.1

User avatar
Aquila
Posts: 688
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 28 Dec 2021

joeyluck wrote:
28 Dec 2021


It was fixed in 12.2.1
How so? I've got 12.2.3 and I still can't get my original maps to work.

User avatar
Pepin
Posts: 290
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 28 Dec 2021

Aquila wrote:
28 Dec 2021
joeyluck wrote:
28 Dec 2021


It was fixed in 12.2.1
How so? I've got 12.2.3 and I still can't get my original maps to work.
This is in the release notes:
Remote maps utilizing the old insert effects section in the Mixer now forwards this to the first four controls and buttons on a Combinator in the Insert FX section if applicable

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests