more than one MIDI clock output PLEASE..!!

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
fiddlestickz

10 Dec 2021

I have posted about this before but seriously it is getting to be a bit silly now.

Why does Reason only allow one MIDI port at a time to send MIDI clock out to external hardware..?

in preferences/MIDI/sync you can only send MIDI clock out to one MIDI port, so if you have an 8 in 8 out MIDI interface like I do, all attached with individual MIDI cables to sequence up my hardware synths and drum machine, I have to pick one port and one port only to send MIDI clock..??

It's maddening it really is. People say get a thru box, that is such a crap fix, adds latency, and so I'm told to get an 8 way thru box, attach that to a single MIDI out port on my MIDI interface, just so I can send MIDI clock to multiple synths..??

Every other DAW lets you send clock to as many ports as you have connected, we cannot in Reason we have to pick only one PORT..?? I can't believe more of you aren't asking for this fix..? I like to jam all my hardware synths, use their own internal sequencers, trigger them via clock and record the results using Reason as a multitrack audio recorder.

I have to set up any new jams and do the silly little daisy chaining via one MIDI port every time I want to do a new recording, it's messy and frustrating and I have to set every synth on different channels and remember them, ugh why..?

please props can you fix this once and for all..?

WOO

10 Dec 2021

People have been asking for that feature for years. No response from the props thus far that I'm aware of. They are more focused on supplying more bells and whistle's and less on, under the hood improvements.

friday

11 Dec 2021

My workaround for this problem ist the RK-006 Portable USB MIDI/Gate Hub. It can route the midi clock to every out port simultaneously.

fiddlestickz

11 Dec 2021

friday wrote:
11 Dec 2021
My workaround for this problem ist the RK-006 Portable USB MIDI/Gate Hub. It can route the midi clock to every out port simultaneously.
yes there are a few work arounds, every single one of them unnecessary. Just give us the ability to send clock to as many MIDI outs as we have connected simple.. if you have an interface with one MIDI in and one MIDI out then Reason sees just those ports. If you have an 8 in 8 out MIDI interface like a lot of people do, Reason also sees all those outs and ins, yet for some ridiculous reason it only allows you to route MIDI clock to one of them..??

fiddlestickz

11 Dec 2021

Please props can you give us the ability to send MIDI clock to multiple MIDI out ports instead of just the one port..??

every other DAW lets you send MIDI clock to as many MIDI out ports as you have connected. Reason lets you choose only one..WHY..??

challism

11 Dec 2021

I feel your pain and think it's a valid feature request.

I'm merging this topic with your other one...
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

moalla

11 Dec 2021

Hmm maybe loopbe30 is the right thing, but costs 20€
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

moalla

12 Dec 2021

So had the same problem this weekend, we would use the stupid Trigger Fringer Pro from M-Audio as Master clock and would send clock per usb to pc and over the midi out of this unpresice clock generator of this MIDI Controller a Midi signal to a Boss RC505 and it gets out of sync after some minutes, also Reason gets out of sync.

Does somebody know a drum controller with a precise midi clock function in it?

Thanks for your suggestions
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

fiddlestickz

13 Dec 2021

challism wrote:
11 Dec 2021

Thanks I really do hope this gets fixed soon, it's a nightmare to workaround this issue constantly.

nemesjs

14 Dec 2021

fiddlestickz wrote:
13 Dec 2021
challism wrote:
11 Dec 2021

Thanks I really do hope this gets fixed soon, it's a nightmare to workaround this issue constantly.
I have this issue with Reason for a long time with my multiple hardware synths and sequencers. I need to have them all synced from Reason clock so that arps and seqs are all in sync. I have a MIDI interface with 16 ports (ESI M8U eX) that I love but I'm forced to use another simple usb to MIDI interface to send the clock to MIDI port 1 on the ESI and I have to opt to use the hardware mode where all ports are set in merge mode (not in the normal mode where each port is handled individually). Just as fiddlestickz said I want to take advantage of the hardware I own but I am stuck to use an older/worst/error prone method that is sending all MIDI signals merged to all ports at the same time and have to choose to each MIDI channel of each synth so that each synth/sequencer filters the signals and responds only to the respective channel... I've tried it and it's no fun. It works but barely. Specially with a lot of notes being sent to many synths its prone to sometimes get stuck notes and some clock fluctuations...

Also we cannot send the clock to multiple USB connected devices... that is also very frustrating!

In Reaper (for example) this is done simply by choosing if one wants to send the clock to any of the connected MIDI devices. It's that simple:
reaper_midi_clock.PNG
reaper_midi_clock.PNG (46.48 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
It would be awesome if only we had something like this in Reason, at least for MIDI Out devices:
midi out device with send clock copy.png
midi out device with send clock copy.png (180.6 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
Of course there are other alternatives. One of them involves buying more hardware including 1 thru box with a lot of outs to distribute the clock and a lot of merge boxes (each costing more than 40 euros), one for each synth/sequencer/drum machine so each receives the merged clock signal with the played notes and other MIDI CC signals coming from each port of my ESI M8U eX...that's a lot of money (and latency) I wish I did not have to waste...

djsmex

14 Dec 2021

Although I don't use MIDI out I can really appreciate where you are coming from. I don't think they have updated the send MIDI clock from probably Reason 3. I remember a small update for linking Ableton I think in Reason 8 or 9 but nothing for sending MIDI clock.
I have no idea why this is, I don't see what the difficulty would be but can most definately see the benefits to multiple MIDI clock outs.

stillifegaijin

15 Dec 2021

Just in case anyone at RS is seeing this I just wanna add to the chorus. Yes, please, please fix this. I have never understood why sending clock is limited to one device. It's archaic.

• Information