Serious Midi FX issue with RRP and Logic Pro X

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
Alrek

29 Nov 2021

Hi guys,

I have a encountered a serious issue with the Reason Rack Plugin 12.2.2 and Logic Pro X 10.7.1:
When using more than one instance of RRP as MIDI FX plugin there are massive playback issues.

How to reproduce:
  1. Create two instruments tracks (e.g. Pads and Drums)
  2. Insert a RRP as MIDI FX into track A (insert a Player like Scales and Chords)
  3. Track A works perfectly with RRP as MIDI FX
  4. Insert another RRP as MIDI FX into track B (insert any Player)
  5. From here on things go crazy
  • Track A remains silent and does not receive any midi information at all any more
  • Track B goes crazy and seems to receive MIDI information from BOTH MIDI FX RRP instances!
  • At this point Logic is very unstable. Disabling or even deleting MIDI FX RPP on track B does not fix track A's MIDI FX processing.
  • Logic even crashes when stopping pausing playback a few times in this state
Can anyone using Logic Pro X and the RRP reproduce this? Is there any fix for this?
In this state RRP as MIDI FX is unusable for me so no Players any more :|

huggermugger

29 Nov 2021

I've heard about this problem before. I think it might be specific to 10.7. It seems to work just fine in Logic 10.4. I'm up to four tracks now, all with Players, one with two Players. No problems.

WaxTrax

29 Nov 2021

I encountered this exact same issue recently and found a workaround. I wrote a step-by-step here:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... 1&t=160595

Alrek

29 Nov 2021

Wow I appreciate your effords WxTrax!

This seems to be way more complicated than I thought.
However I wonder what exactly is broken and is it Logic or RRP?

WaxTrax

29 Nov 2021

It's something in Logic because the behavior is exactly the same with other 3rd-party MIDI FX plugins like InstaComposer as well.

Pepin

29 Nov 2021

I'm also on Logic 10.7, but multiple players seem to work fine for me so far. I only use RRP occasionally though. Maybe the bug is configuration-dependent?
I do remember another post reporting something similar.

fwiw I'm still on Big Sur. Are you on Monterey?
I do see multiple reports of issues with MidiFX specific to Monterey (here and here)

Alrek

29 Nov 2021

Yes, I am on Monterey too…

Alrek

04 Dec 2021

Thankfully, there seems to be a solution for this issue:

https://forum.scalerplugin.com/t/no-mid ... ey/8498/15

Does it work for you guys? I can't test it atm

scotward57

09 Dec 2021

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

MIDI 2.0 Support
The Arpeggiator plug-in now sends the correct note-off messages to third-party Software Instruments and MIDI FX plug-ins when Logic is running in MIDI 2.0 mode.

Adding a second instance of a third-party MIDI FX plug-in to a project no longer causes the track with the first instance to stop playing.

Looks like 10.7.2 update addresses the issue

Alrek

10 Dec 2021

For me it does't fix the issue.
macOS Monterey 12.1 will be released next week. Let's hope it - or the combination with the recent Logic Pro update - will address the issue.

Alrek

10 Dec 2021

UPDATE: I felt lucky and installed macOS Monterey 12.1 RC. Together with the recent Logic Pro update everything is working as intended again! :D

WaxTrax

19 Dec 2021

I just tried Logic v10.7.2 with macOS 12.1 and confirm the issue has been resolved for me as well. It now works like you would expect it to.

• Information