converting CV to aftertouch

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
manisnotabird

03 Dec 2021

I want Reason CV to control the aftertouch parameter on my Minibrute 2S via the MIDI out device. Is this possible?

Arrant
Competition Winner

03 Dec 2021

I don't think this is possible using Reason alone. The MIDI out device in Reason can convert CV to midi CC messages but not aftertouch as far as I can tell.
You could probably get it done using a virtual MIDI driver like midiox sitting between Reason and your interface.

rmtcvolte

03 Dec 2021

manisnotabird wrote:
03 Dec 2021
I want Reason CV to control the aftertouch parameter on my Minibrute 2S via the MIDI out device. Is this possible?
The MidiOut device (R12) is capable to send out ChannelAftertouch. Open it in a Combinator, open Editor and map "CV in 1" as a source and "Aftertouch" as the target. Set up the correct midi port in the MidiOut device and connect a CV signal to the "CV in 1" socket of the Combi.

I am interested to know if the Minibrute accepts Aftertouch input, couldnt found something in the manual about it. Good Luck.

selig
RE Developer

03 Dec 2021

rmtcvolte wrote:
03 Dec 2021
manisnotabird wrote:
03 Dec 2021
The MidiOut device (R12) is capable to send out ChannelAftertouch. Open it in a Combinator, open Editor and map "CV in 1" as a source and "Aftertouch" as the target. Set up the correct midi port in the MidiOut device and connect a CV signal to the "CV in 1" socket of the Combi.

I am interested to know if the Minibrute accepts Aftertouch input, couldnt found something in the manual about it. Good Luck.
Yes it accepts mono aftertouch, and it is available on the Filter Attenuator knob to control cutoff frequency as well as on the patch bay (lower right).
Keep in mind the resolution will likely be fairly low in my experience, with audible steps especially in cases of extreme modulation depth.
Selig Audio, LLC

rmtcvolte

03 Dec 2021

selig wrote:
03 Dec 2021

Yes it accepts mono aftertouch, and it is available on the Filter Attenuator knob to control cutoff frequency as well as on the patch bay (lower right).
Keep in mind the resolution will likely be fairly low in my experience, with audible steps especially in cases of extreme modulation depth.
Thanks and good to know about, looking forward the next session with a friend who owns one. Concerning the resolution, I will be good with a stepped cv curve, synced to the songtempo. But we will see.

manisnotabird

03 Dec 2021

rmtcvolte wrote:
03 Dec 2021
The 2S does. The 2 (with the keyboard) has mod wheel instead on the patch bay. Don't think the old Minibrute does anything with aftertouch.

manisnotabird

04 Dec 2021

rmtcvolte wrote:
03 Dec 2021
manisnotabird wrote:
03 Dec 2021
Thank you, this works great!

rmtcvolte

04 Dec 2021

manisnotabird wrote:
03 Dec 2021

The 2S does. The 2 (with the keyboard) has mod wheel instead on the patch bay. Don't think the old Minibrute does anything with aftertouch.
There is a manual of around 170 pages, but no simple Midi Implementation chart?! Nevertheless you got it to work and I cant wait to try this out by myself. Any problems with the resolution, like Selig mentioned it?

manisnotabird

04 Dec 2021

rmtcvolte wrote:
04 Dec 2021
manisnotabird wrote:
03 Dec 2021

Any problems with the resolution, like Selig mentioned it?
It definitely starts sounding weird if you send it a sine LFO above like 8 or 9 hertz, and for more complicated shapes even less. But for slow to medium LFOs or stepped modulation it sounds fine.

rmtcvolte

04 Dec 2021

manisnotabird wrote:
04 Dec 2021

It definitely starts sounding weird if you send it a sine LFO above like 8 or 9 hertz, and for more complicated shapes even less. But for slow to medium LFOs or stepped modulation it sounds fine.
Thanks for that info. Good to have another source for modulation at least.

Lov2sing

04 Dec 2021

selig wrote:
03 Dec 2021
rmtcvolte wrote:
03 Dec 2021

Is it possible that you could make an after touch devise for reason. I could use one.
We make music for a reason

• Information