Reason 12.2.2 is out...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4705
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 28 Nov 2021

QVprod wrote:
28 Nov 2021
Creativemind wrote:
28 Nov 2021


No, this is what was in the latest edition of Reaper....


Reaper 6.35.JPG
Actually, that’s the August update. Not the latest one. Regardless, still proves my point.
Previous updates have longer lists but are along the same lines of minimal additions. Don't be impressed because a list is long. The "2 coders" thing has less of an impact when what's being worked on are primarily small fixes that won't be noticed by most users. In fact, if we're just comparing lists, Reason's release notes list for the past 2 months is fairly substantial by that metric.
Yes, you're right. My bad. I was rushing cause I was leaving for work when I did it.

What point does it prove anyway? that's what they release, like multiple features for virtually every part of the daw (arranger, media browser, actions, midi editor, automation etc) every month roughly. There's around 50 features in my image there and that one you listed, I'm pretty certain wasn't the full feature list of 6.42 'cause they always have like 30 features or more every time. I counted ages ago (just in a few minutes off the top of the head) what features Reaper has over Reason and stopped counting at 60 and that was a few months ago and I'm still amazed how they still find 30+ feature's every update.

How slow Reason is is frustratingly slow. Seen faster tortoises lol! We'll be lucky get this next update before Christmas at this rate. If we don't get it this week, I mean we're in December in 3 days.

They probably don't but makes me think RS start work at 10am, have 2 hour lunch breaks, a tea break every half an hour and loads of holidays and that's why things take so long. They'll be going on holidays for Christmas in a couple of weeks and coming back mid January lol! Meanwhile, we're all waiting and waiting thinking, come on.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.57 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4705
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 28 Nov 2021

kitekrazy wrote:
28 Nov 2021
Creativemind wrote:
28 Nov 2021


No, this is what was in the latest edition of Reaper....


Reaper 6.35.JPG
I wish I was deep enough into Reaper to understand what most of those updates are,
Yes I'm with you. I don't know half of them either. While Reaper is adding complex features because it's so advanced, I'm still waiting for joining midi notes, slice by song position pointer and to be able to go back more than 8 projects in Reasons history in Reason lol!

P.S - It's 50 in Reaper.

O.K - It has a steep learning curve but my god, you should see some of the customised Reaper's I've seen on their official forum. Amazing some of them. They've took a theme someone's designed and tweaked it to their liking by changing the jpg's in the theme folders and then customised it even more using this thing called Theme Adjuster.

I'd recommend Reaper to anyone and yes, slow to get off the ground but if you're relatively daw savvy, only a month or two (that's if you just create projects and jump over obstacles as they come and don't try to learn everything at once) you'll be flying.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.57 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 3199
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Nov 2021

Creativemind wrote:
28 Nov 2021
QVprod wrote:
28 Nov 2021


Actually, that’s the August update. Not the latest one. Regardless, still proves my point.

Yes, you're right. My bad. I was rushing cause I was leaving for work when I did it.

What point does it prove anyway?
I really did quote myself… but I’ll post here again.
Previous updates have longer lists but are along the same lines of minimal additions. Don't be impressed because a list is long. The "2 coders" thing has less of an impact when what's being worked on are primarily small fixes that won't be noticed by most users. In fact, if we're just comparing lists, Reason's release notes list for the past 2 months is fairly substantial by that metric.

You then posted this in response to someone else
Creativemind wrote:
28 Nov 2021


Yes I'm with you. I don't know half of them either.
So you’re comparing a bunch of added features/bug fixes to which you don’t even understand what even half of them are. Which means as I mentioned, you don’t even notice most of these improvements. I’d submit to you most users probably don’t either. It’s not worth using as a measuring stick to anything else if no one notices it in everyday use. As I said, most other DAWs don’t have lists like these every 30 days.

Yes RS is slow with features… but they’ve always been slow. I’m not sure why we’re expecting different behavior.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4705
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 28 Nov 2021

QVprod wrote:
28 Nov 2021
Creativemind wrote:
28 Nov 2021


Yes, you're right. My bad. I was rushing cause I was leaving for work when I did it.

What point does it prove anyway?
I really did quote myself… but I’ll post here again.
Previous updates have longer lists but are along the same lines of minimal additions. Don't be impressed because a list is long. The "2 coders" thing has less of an impact when what's being worked on are primarily small fixes that won't be noticed by most users. In fact, if we're just comparing lists, Reason's release notes list for the past 2 months is fairly substantial by that metric.

You then posted this in response to someone else
Creativemind wrote:
28 Nov 2021


Yes I'm with you. I don't know half of them either.
So you’re comparing a bunch of added features/bug fixes to which you don’t even understand what even half of them are. Which means as I mentioned, you don’t even notice most of these improvements. I’d submit to you most users probably don’t either. It’s not worth using as a measuring stick to anything else if no one notices it in everyday use. As I said, most other DAWs don’t have lists like these every 30 days.

Yes RS is slow with features… but they’ve always been slow. I’m not sure why we’re expecting different behavior.
Yes it is worth mentioning because I'm sick of waiting lol! I type 30 comments waiting for joining midi notes lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.57 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 3199
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Nov 2021

Creativemind wrote:
28 Nov 2021
QVprod wrote:
28 Nov 2021


I really did quote myself… but I’ll post here again.




You then posted this in response to someone else



So you’re comparing a bunch of added features/bug fixes to which you don’t even understand what even half of them are. Which means as I mentioned, you don’t even notice most of these improvements. I’d submit to you most users probably don’t either. It’s not worth using as a measuring stick to anything else if no one notices it in everyday use. As I said, most other DAWs don’t have lists like these every 30 days.

Yes RS is slow with features… but they’ve always been slow. I’m not sure why we’re expecting different behavior.
Yes it is worth mentioning because I'm sick of waiting lol! I type 30 comments waiting for joining midi notes lol!
:lol: Well then hurry up and wait

Image

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 3128
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 28 Nov 2021

guitfnky wrote:
28 Nov 2021
numerous small features/improvements released frequently vs. a new device released with a buggy update and minimal to no features or improvements every 3 months or more.

come on man, this is a silly defense of RS. not exactly intellectually honest, either.
It's apples and oranges.

Reaper's stock devices pale in comparison. It has nothing like Audio Pitch Editor. Or Neptune (forgot about ReaTune). Or Recycle. Or Dr Rex (remember when that was the coolest thing ever).

Doesn't even have samplers and synths comparable to Subtractor, NN19 and Redrum, and they're all 20 years old.

So sure, they have regular improvements, yet 15 years of those regular improvements have got them where? It's a good DAW BTW, but let's not make out these regular updates come remotely close to putting it ahead of Reason (even though it does have a hell of a lot of good features and editing functions, etc) or any other DAW that doesn't have a comparable list of quarterly changes.

If we do the math, we're looking at what, a good 150 "features" each year over 15 years. That's about 2000 features.
Last edited by avasopht on 28 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.
---

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 2828
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the New York

Post 28 Nov 2021

Reason is where I crawl when the physical medium has been tricked into thinking that's it's immortal
My body is a tender crawly thing yet it's appetite for 'art' is voracious.
Memory, hearing and teeth are things of the past
Yet I still retain Reason keyboard shortcuts
Y hast thou forsaken me Props

just sain
The Now Sound of MIDI Thru 🧂

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 2828
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the New York

Post 28 Nov 2021

Watza fella gotta do to get banned around this joint?
The Now Sound of MIDI Thru 🧂

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4182
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 28 Nov 2021

avasopht wrote:
28 Nov 2021
guitfnky wrote:
28 Nov 2021
numerous small features/improvements released frequently vs. a new device released with a buggy update and minimal to no features or improvements every 3 months or more.

come on man, this is a silly defense of RS. not exactly intellectually honest, either.
It's apples and oranges.

Reaper's stock devices pale in comparison. It has nothing like Audio Pitch Editor. Or Neptune (forgot about ReaTune). Or Recycle. Or Dr Rex (remember when that was the coolest thing ever).

Doesn't even have samplers and synths comparable to Subtractor, NN19 and Redrum, and they're all 20 years old.

So sure, they have regular improvements, yet 15 years of those regular improvements have got them where? It's a good DAW BTW, but let's not make out these regular updates come remotely close to putting it ahead of Reason (even though it does have a hell of a lot of good features and editing functions, etc) or any other DAW that doesn't have a comparable list of quarterly changes.

If we do the math, we're looking at what, a good 150 "features" each year over 15 years. That's about 2000 features.
it’s not apples and oranges—they’re both DAWs. it’s perfectly reasonable to compare them.

where has 15 years of consistent attention to the needs of the program gotten Reaper? loads of avid users who swear by it. arguably larger market share (I couldn’t find numbers, but the price point/value alone should make that an easy lift for Cockos).

in terms of instruments and effects, sure, Reason beats just about every DAW on that front. in terms of the things we want to compare—you know, to keep it apples to apples—you know, DAW stuff—Reason doesn’t even show up, let alone make it out of the gate.

and if we insist on including all the fluffy shit—why? almost everyone has a large library of excellent plugins to draw on in any DAW. there’s no need to compare that. it is what it is, and it is what the user makes of it, same as in any DAW. more importantly, we’re talking about updates—RS almost never update existing devices. they’re irrelevant to the topic.

I think putting out a consistently good product that’s almost universally loved by the user base, and updating it frequently is a monumental achievement. Propellerhead used to be really good on the first two fronts, and now they’re slipping there too. it makes their lack of updates all the more glaring—having a buggy, content-light release, and not even being able to fix anything quickly is a shitty look for a company whose product used to be the gold standard for stability in the space.

and so what if the features Reaper puts out are sometimes unexciting? the reason for that is their DAW already ticks all the most important boxes. Reason still doesn’t have f&@ing markers. in 2021. that’s laughable. this is why this defense of RS is so damn perplexing. I was part of the “they’ll get to it…just give them time” crowd for years. they haven’t. they aren’t showing they will.

they went from a trustworthy brand of music software to <gestures broadly> whatever the hell this is, in just a couple of years. they suggested they were going to be able to hire more people and put more stuff out faster, now that they’ve got a subscription option. but the most creative stuff we’ve seen from them are all the manipulative ways they’ve found to get people to subscribe, or if that fails, buy an upgrade.

I hope they do better—really, I do. they’ve lost a lot of goodwill recently, and for good reason. delivering improvements regularly—more than the usual drip feed pace—even small ones, would help a lot.
I write good music for good people

https://slow-robot.com/
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

scotward57
Posts: 113
Joined: 28 Jul 2019

Post 29 Nov 2021

Once I bought Logic Pro, I realized that there was no need to belly-ache for more DAW features. RS Inc has rightfully played to its strength as an incredible endless rack that does a great job complimenting other DAWs. Combinator v2 now makes it possible for non-programmers to create super devices. My wishlist is shorter. Get the bugs out, make more combinator widgets and make it possible to house VSTs within RRP.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7720
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 30 Nov 2021

avasopht wrote:
28 Nov 2021
It's apples and oranges.

Reaper's stock devices pale in comparison.
guitfnky wrote:
28 Nov 2021
it’s not apples and oranges—they’re both DAWs. it’s perfectly reasonable to compare them.
I mean, yeah - it's apples and oranges, and no - it's not really reasonable to compare them at all. How many built-in stock instruments, effects, and utilities does Reaper come with out of the box? How many of those would lead most users to do a full 100% production in Reaper, using said included stock items only?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Reaper is a laughably simple program when compared to Reason. And the "new features" that are introduced by Cockos' "regular" updates are lost on the vast majority of its users. But we've beat this dead horse to death - again. There's been so many "Reaper gets ALL TEH UPDATES with TWO CODERZ" posts, it's hard to keep track of. Lol :lol:

Image
Win 10 | Enabling the Abelton ABLERS Live 11 Suite-Ably |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4182
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 30 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
30 Nov 2021
avasopht wrote:
28 Nov 2021
It's apples and oranges.

Reaper's stock devices pale in comparison.
guitfnky wrote:
28 Nov 2021
it’s not apples and oranges—they’re both DAWs. it’s perfectly reasonable to compare them.
I mean, yeah - it's apples and oranges, and no - it's not really reasonable to compare them at all. How many built-in stock instruments, effects, and utilities does Reaper come with out of the box? How many of those would lead most users to do a full 100% production in Reaper, using said included stock items only?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Reaper is a laughably simple program when compared to Reason. And the "new features" that are introduced by Cockos' "regular" updates are lost on the vast majority of its users. But we've beat this dead horse to death - again. There's been so many "Reaper gets ALL TEH UPDATES with TWO CODERZ" posts, it's hard to keep track of. Lol :lol:

Image
it’s not easy to lose the thread for my rationale, but you, sir, have found a way. great job!
I write good music for good people

https://slow-robot.com/
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7720
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 30 Nov 2021

guitfnky wrote:
30 Nov 2021
it’s not easy to lose the thread for my rationale, but you, sir, have found a way. great job!
I mean, I'm usually not one to brag about awards, but thanks! :thumbup: :clap:
Win 10 | Enabling the Abelton ABLERS Live 11 Suite-Ably |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4182
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 30 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
30 Nov 2021
guitfnky wrote:
30 Nov 2021
it’s not easy to lose the thread for my rationale, but you, sir, have found a way. great job!
I mean, I'm usually not one to brag about awards, but thanks! :thumbup: :clap:
😂 I appreciate that you’re a good sport
I write good music for good people

https://slow-robot.com/
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Stamatz
Posts: 64
Joined: 24 Jan 2019
Location: NY/USA

Post 30 Nov 2021

Do any of the other daws (Reaper, Abelton, Cubase, Logic Pro, etc.) have a rack? CV Routing? Visual Cables? All those cool rack extensions and utilities?

I'm mainly in the rack but don't like the limitations of the plug-in so I use R12 standalone.

I dunno, I guess if I was hell bent on another daw I would use the plug-in version of Reason but there is really nothing out there like it.

I cannot bear to part with Reason just because of the logical order of things that makes perfect sense to a person coming from an analog world and Atari 800 way back when.

The HD upgrade is nice but wasn't on the top of my wish list, it's the visual representation of real hardware in a rack that I love so much.

In other daws you just have a bunch of hanging VST windows unconnected per say or am I wrong?
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Presonus Audiobox 96, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 7 5800x 4.7 GHZ, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT, 500GB SSD, 2TB 7200 HD, 500GB SSD:refillpacker:

User avatar
Pepin
Posts: 290
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 30 Nov 2021

Stamatz wrote:
30 Nov 2021
In other daws you just have a bunch of hanging VST windows unconnected per say or am I wrong?
Bitwig will give you a horizontal rack view for native devices and an integrated modulation system:
https://www.bitwig.com/learnings/an-int ... lators-45/

Though having tried it for months, I still prefer Reason. Surprisingly, I most significantly preferred Reason’s implementation of the more “standard” DAW features (mixer, sequencer).

Live has a similar rack concept.

Personally I think Logic and Reason are a good pairing, but I never really use the rack plugin. It doesn’t feel as “integrated” as Reason standalone or Logic with standard AUs. If it was properly multi timbral (assignable midi inputs), I’d probably use it more.

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 3128
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 01 Dec 2021

guitfnky wrote:
28 Nov 2021
it’s not apples and oranges—they’re both DAWs. it’s perfectly reasonable to compare them.
How exactly?

Imagine, for a moment, that instead of spending 2 years developing a device, I spend 1 year developing a solid working version of it, and then produce weekly updates for another year.

It's still 2 years worth of development, but in one case you have 1 release versus 53 from the other.

Does that mean you're getting more value for your money? No, it does not.

And if you accumulate the features, it will seem like the second approach delivered more features. But it didn't. It's just that in version 1.0.7, that new slider feature simply meant that the knob feature that was introduced in version 1.0.5 (that was replaced with the slider) counts as a feature that is no longer in the product after 2 years, yet still counts as a feature.

And what about improvements in behaviour.

In the first case you could just have, "feature X allows you to drag with the mouse".

In the second case you get:
1. v 1.1.8 - Feature X allows dragging
2. v 1.2.7 - Feature X displays an outline while dragging (which wasn't mentioned in the first place, as it's just how it worked and didn't require a distinction)
3. v 1.3.9 - Improved dragging to interpolate window movements to reduce the "stutter effect" (also not mentioned, because that's just how it worked in the final version)

That's just one example of why you can't evaluate productivity based on releases alone. In your mind, it's easy to think of each release as a single unit of work. But it is not like that.

Just look at the build version numbers of Reason. That's how many different versions of Reason has existed internally at RS. You just never saw those versions released because it was all iterated internally.

And what about R&D? Do you know how much R&D either performs to improve factors that won't appear on feature lists, but will shape the feature lists? Suppose each feature RS delivered involved comparing different implementations of the feature with a focus group to evaluate which one was the most intuitive to work with? At the end of it, you still have one finished product, but it required the work to produce anywhere between 2 and 10 products to deliver that one final product.

Now, when it comes to evaluating the speed of development by features, again, you just cannot compare the two as they, despite both being DAWs, develop COMPLETELY different products.

The "fluffy stuff" is still "stuff." It still takes time to produce. And that's why it has to be considered in the conversation of how productive they are, because that is what they're producing.

Think of it this way, if RS did nothing but develop REs (and other fluffy stuff), by ignoring it, you're effectively saying that they've done absolutely nothing. That doesn't make sense, right?

Developer productivity is tricky enough among peers on the same team, let alone between completely different products with vastly different feature sets.

Note: I am not in any way defending with or siding with RS.

What I'm saying is just a matter of fact. You might not understand why, but that's because you've not really sat down and thought very deeply about how to assess programmer productivity.

Maybe RS could utilize some newer/better workflows. But for all you know, they could be working at the most effective rate of production possible. The fact they've not implemented important features or fixes is no indication of their actual rate of productivity. It just means they've neglected those features and fixes.

Take Friktion as an example. How long would it take to develop such a thing? What about Grain or Mimic? Well, first you'd have to develop all of the other prior technologies they have (pitch shifting, beat detection, etc.).

So, even if Reaper was better than Reason, or if the shoe was on the other foot, it's still an apples and oranges comparison for the simple fact that one does lots of "fluffy stuff" and the other doesn't, but instead focuses on something else. And for that reason, there's no legitimate way to convert any metric of productivity between them.

People have tried it in the past:
1. Lines of code written
2. Months spent on development
3. Number of features delivered
4. Sum of feature effort estimations
5. Number of tickets resolved

And in the last 40-50 years or so, all have failed as a measure for productivity.

Truth is, we don't, and might never have a single metric for developer productivity.
---

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4182
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 01 Dec 2021

avasopht wrote:
01 Dec 2021
guitfnky wrote:
28 Nov 2021
it’s not apples and oranges—they’re both DAWs. it’s perfectly reasonable to compare them.
How exactly?

Imagine, for a moment, that instead of spending 2 years developing a device, I spend 1 year developing a solid working version of it, and then produce weekly updates for another year.

It's still 2 years worth of development, but in one case you have 1 release versus 53 from the other.

Does that mean you're getting more value for your money? No, it does not.

And if you accumulate the features, it will seem like the second approach delivered more features. But it didn't. It's just that in version 1.0.7, that new slider feature simply meant that the knob feature that was introduced in version 1.0.5 (that was replaced with the slider) counts as a feature that is no longer in the product after 2 years, yet still counts as a feature.

And what about improvements in behaviour.

In the first case you could just have, "feature X allows you to drag with the mouse".

In the second case you get:
1. v 1.1.8 - Feature X allows dragging
2. v 1.2.7 - Feature X displays an outline while dragging (which wasn't mentioned in the first place, as it's just how it worked and didn't require a distinction)
3. v 1.3.9 - Improved dragging to interpolate window movements to reduce the "stutter effect" (also not mentioned, because that's just how it worked in the final version)

That's just one example of why you can't evaluate productivity based on releases alone. In your mind, it's easy to think of each release as a single unit of work. But it is not like that.

Just look at the build version numbers of Reason. That's how many different versions of Reason has existed internally at RS. You just never saw those versions released because it was all iterated internally.

And what about R&D? Do you know how much R&D either performs to improve factors that won't appear on feature lists, but will shape the feature lists? Suppose each feature RS delivered involved comparing different implementations of the feature with a focus group to evaluate which one was the most intuitive to work with? At the end of it, you still have one finished product, but it required the work to produce anywhere between 2 and 10 products to deliver that one final product.

Now, when it comes to evaluating the speed of development by features, again, you just cannot compare the two as they, despite both being DAWs, develop COMPLETELY different products.

The "fluffy stuff" is still "stuff." It still takes time to produce. And that's why it has to be considered in the conversation of how productive they are, because that is what they're producing.

Think of it this way, if RS did nothing but develop REs (and other fluffy stuff), by ignoring it, you're effectively saying that they've done absolutely nothing. That doesn't make sense, right?

Developer productivity is tricky enough among peers on the same team, let alone between completely different products with vastly different feature sets.

Note: I am not in any way defending with or siding with RS.

What I'm saying is just a matter of fact. You might not understand why, but that's because you've not really sat down and thought very deeply about how to assess programmer productivity.

Maybe RS could utilize some newer/better workflows. But for all you know, they could be working at the most effective rate of production possible. The fact they've not implemented important features or fixes is no indication of their actual rate of productivity. It just means they've neglected those features and fixes.

Take Friktion as an example. How long would it take to develop such a thing? What about Grain or Mimic? Well, first you'd have to develop all of the other prior technologies they have (pitch shifting, beat detection, etc.).

So, even if Reaper was better than Reason, or if the shoe was on the other foot, it's still an apples and oranges comparison for the simple fact that one does lots of "fluffy stuff" and the other doesn't, but instead focuses on something else. And for that reason, there's no legitimate way to convert any metric of productivity between them.

People have tried it in the past:
1. Lines of code written
2. Months spent on development
3. Number of features delivered
4. Sum of feature effort estimations
5. Number of tickets resolved

And in the last 40-50 years or so, all have failed as a measure for productivity.

Truth is, we don't, and might never have a single metric for developer productivity.
how exactly?
guitfnky wrote:
28 Nov 2021
it’s not apples and oranges—they’re both DAWs. it’s perfectly reasonable to compare them.
but if you're hinting at quibbling about the definition of a DAW, that's fine, but no matter how you define it, there's plenty of history to extract what that means in common parlance. I'll not rehash that here at your request, because it would be a waste of our time.

you ask: "Does that mean you're getting more value for your money?"

that's completely subjective, but since you asked, given that Reaper is vastly more affordable, in my subjective opinion I'd say Reaper provides more value per dollar than Reason does--even though I don't use Reaper. if we try to be as apples to apples as possible, and look at the core DAW capabilities, not the bells and whistles, that gets even more lopsided.

I'm not sure why you're talking about productivity--I don't think that's ever been my point. I'm certain the Reason folks work very hard. but on core features, they don't deliver much, or often--they just don't. you're talking about facts--that's a fact. the point is, you can work very hard, and not get very much done. that's usually a business problem, not an individual contributor problem. and even that's okay, if you're focused on the right things. my view is that they aren't--at least not lately, but many seem to disagree, and just have a constant need for more devices and knobs above all else, at all costs (including stability).

it seems like you're conflating productivity with frequency. I'm talking mostly about frequency, you're fixated on productivity. there's some natural overlap there too, but they can be looked at separately. I guess part of my frustration is that they (RS) keep talking about more frequent updates, but that hasn't happened--and even with the updates remaining slow, they're not even testing well enough anymore to keep to their past high standard of stability quality. the worst of both worlds. slow AND buggy.

I guess it would be interesting to take a couple of years' worth of release notes from each DAW, and have people rate each item on a number scale of how impactful they are (including an option for 0, because for some users, a new sampler may be completely useless, and others, the ability to clone MIDI clips might be just as useless), then add up the totals to see which provided the most value to users. that's not a measure of productivity, but of value. and I suspect we'd find that numerous small improvements add up to more value over time than two or three large ones.
I write good music for good people

https://slow-robot.com/
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 3199
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Dec 2021

guitfnky wrote:
01 Dec 2021

I guess it would be interesting to take a couple of years' worth of release notes from each DAW, and have people rate each item on a number scale of how impactful they are (including an option for 0, because for some users, a new sampler may be completely useless, and others, the ability to clone MIDI clips might be just as useless), then add up the totals to see which provided the most value to users. that's not a measure of productivity, but of value. and I suspect we'd find that numerous small improvements add up to more value over time than two or three large ones.
This right here is key. However what it ultimately comes down to is whether you actually like using the product. Despite how “feature packed” Reaper is, it’s the one of the worst DAWs I’ve ever touched. The themes are nice to look at but once you get past the pretty pictures, you have to ask if said lists of features truly add to the experience, which imo, most of the things on those huge lists go unnoticed in actual use.

User avatar
Majestik Monkey
Posts: 682
Joined: 07 Jul 2015

Post 01 Dec 2021

QVprod wrote:
01 Dec 2021
guitfnky wrote:
01 Dec 2021

I guess it would be interesting to take a couple of years' worth of release notes from each DAW, and have people rate each item on a number scale of how impactful they are (including an option for 0, because for some users, a new sampler may be completely useless, and others, the ability to clone MIDI clips might be just as useless), then add up the totals to see which provided the most value to users. that's not a measure of productivity, but of value. and I suspect we'd find that numerous small improvements add up to more value over time than two or three large ones.
This right here is key. However what it ultimately comes down to is whether you actually like using the product. Despite how “feature packed” Reaper is, it’s the one of the worst DAWs I’ve ever touched. The themes are nice to look at but once you get past the pretty pictures, you have to ask if said lists of features truly add to the experience, which imo, most of the things on those huge lists go unnoticed in actual use.
Hmmm' if i may interject ' i bought Reaper maybe 3 years ago ' & i honestly bought it because it was A [Bare Bones DAW] , Just kitted out nice & Simple
A good solid Audio Engine , Good midi , & a really good reputation with VST' implementation , Almost Every Vst FX & Vsti I own, works well in Reaper 6 ... Including RS 11 & 12 Plugin,,, Now Reason is a different story for me ' Because i did buy it from V6 & up to 12.2.2 ' Precisely because of the Real Feature Rich Packed environment !

Drum Sequencing right outa the Box ' Bass line Machines ' Riff , Chord , & Arp Building right at your finger tips , & as you know the list goes on & on ' So my point is
Its not really a good or logical Comparison , Reaper too Reason!? Their worlds apart IMHO , & i except that the Reaper Team Really do a great job of Updating :clap:
& it would be true in my case ' as QVprod said [most of the things on those huge lists go unnoticed in actual use.] ...... & Now its time to "Slap" QVprod :puf_bigsmile:
for saying this ...................[ it’s one of the worst DAWs I’ve ever touched.] Are you Swedish ? :P :P :P

User avatar
FatJ
Posts: 24
Joined: 20 Aug 2021

Post 01 Dec 2021

Karim wrote:
20 Nov 2021
I had problems but after 3 times I succeeded ..
very slow installation
FatJ wrote:
20 Nov 2021
I still haven't managed to install the update. I've put a ticket in.
Still no reply to my support ticket but I uninstalled it, deleted some of the various caches mentioned on this forum and downloaded and installed the full installer and it worked. All I need now is some of those bugs to be squashed.

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 3199
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Dec 2021

Majestik Monkey wrote:
01 Dec 2021
...... & Now its time to "Slap" QVprod :puf_bigsmile:
for saying this ...................[ it’s one of the worst DAWs I’ve ever touched.] Are you Swedish ? :P :P :P
:lol: Very much American.


User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7720
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 01 Dec 2021

Majestik Monkey wrote:
01 Dec 2021
...... & Now its time to "Slap" QVprod :puf_bigsmile:
for saying this ...................[ it’s one of the worst DAWs I’ve ever touched.] Are you Swedish ? :P :P
You'll need to form a line, because I also feel Reaper is one of the worst DAW's I've ever touched. :lol: :thumbup:
Win 10 | Enabling the Abelton ABLERS Live 11 Suite-Ably |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
Majestik Monkey
Posts: 682
Joined: 07 Jul 2015

Post 01 Dec 2021

QVprod wrote:
01 Dec 2021
Majestik Monkey wrote:
01 Dec 2021
...... & Now its time to "Slap" QVprod :puf_bigsmile:
for saying this ...................[ it’s one of the worst DAWs I’ve ever touched.] Are you Swedish ? :P
:lol: Very much American.

Haha ' Don't Fear the Reaper ' Good choice ' :clap:
& EnochLight Jumping in to rescue you from The Wrath of the Majestik Monkey :lol:

User avatar
Re8et
Posts: 1122
Joined: 14 Nov 2016

Post 01 Dec 2021

Added additional high resolution graphic resources

I'm curious: can it be completely disabled for us 720p users, and/or i3 8gb ram range? (not Vram :)_)
It would be nice to have like a 4K graphics ticker box in preference.
I don't understand additional resources are a Gpu feature or what, exactly...
it leaves a wild imagination range to think of...
In case it would require additional computing power, than the above is valid...

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests