bounce mixer channels settings

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kajito

21 Nov 2021

hi,

I just finished a song I've been working on and I plan to have a professional audio engineer do the mixing and mastering for me instead of trying to do it myself. The studio engineer asked me to send all the tracks and also a demo mix as well. I've never done this before so my guess is he's trying to see if the files sound ok and to see how many stems to give me a proper quote.

Anyway, is this the way its normally done send all the files to the audio engineer? I'm not even sure if I will hire him I just need a quote for now. Also, can someone walk me through the 'bounce mixer settings' which settings should I apply before exporting?

thanks!
Attachments
bounce mixer channels.png
bounce mixer channels.png (95.08 KiB) Viewed 979 times

marcuswitt

24 Nov 2021

Hi Kajito,

since you've mentioned that you want to hire a professional mixing engineer who has the skill set and all tools at his / her disposal to deliver a proper mix, I suggest following settings by ticking following Check Boxes and Radio Boxes:

Check All
Song
Audio files on disk
Apply mixer settings: None
File format: WAVE File, 44.100 Hz, 24 Bit

Before exporting the tracks, it's also helpful to name the FX channels in a way that is easy to be understood by the mixing engineer, i.e. names like 'FX 1 (Band-in-Box DAW VST FX Plugin 1)' may not be the best choice because he / she might not know what this particular track contains.

So far from my side...

Cheers and good luck!

RoryM0

28 Nov 2021

When a mixer channel is bounced does it go via the master or does it ignore the master?

ProfessaKaos

29 Nov 2021

marcuswitt wrote:
24 Nov 2021
Hi Kajito,

since you've mentioned that you want to hire a professional mixing engineer who has the skill set and all tools at his / her disposal to deliver a proper mix, I suggest following settings by ticking following Check Boxes and Radio Boxes:

Check All
Song
Audio files on disk
Apply mixer settings: None
File format: WAVE File, 44.100 Hz, 24 Bit

Before exporting the tracks, it's also helpful to name the FX channels in a way that is easy to be understood by the mixing engineer, i.e. names like 'FX 1 (Band-in-Box DAW VST FX Plugin 1)' may not be the best choice because he / she might not know what this particular track contains.

So far from my side...

Cheers and good luck!
If the FX in the mixer channel is what makes a certain instrument/sound sound the way it is intended to sound (drastically different from the unprocessed signal because it is the vibe) then I would leave the apply mixer settings on when bouncing that in particular instrument/sound(s).
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

selig
RE Developer

29 Nov 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
28 Nov 2021
When a mixer channel is bounced does it go via the master or does it ignore the master?
It ignores the master, same as if you connected it via direct out or bounced it in real time with REC SOURCE.
If you DID want to include the master, you solo the mixer channel then bounce the master channel.
Selig Audio, LLC

RoryM0

29 Nov 2021

selig wrote:
29 Nov 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
28 Nov 2021
It ignores the master, same as if you connected it via direct out or bounced it in real time with REC SOURCE.
If you DID want to include the master, you solo the mixer channel then bounce the master channel.
Of course. Thanks Selig :)

• Information