Reason 12.2.2 is out...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Zac

20 Nov 2021

I couldn't get the automatic update to work so dl the 5gb full version and reinstalled. Bit of a PITA but at least it's done.

Wee Joe

20 Nov 2021

Not impressed with this latest version, The Start up screen plays havoc with my eye sight and I feel as if I am going to have a fit every time I start Reason, I do have problems with my eyes, and my go to drums "Addictive Drums" won't load any of its files as Reasons browser wants to get involved "not sure why" and starts the wheel of death rolling and I have to instigate a forced shut down. Started a ticket with Props.
I love the new scalable graphics, but this is unusable.

Got a reply from John at Reason Studios, and he said it was probably an Open GL driver problem and asked me to switch it off from within AD2, with I did and all back to normal mow, shame about the Splash though!. Wee Joe.
Last edited by Wee Joe on 22 Nov 2021, edited 4 times in total.

cincyjack

20 Nov 2021

Looks like update might have fixed the plugin unload prob I've been having in Studio One.
Reason 12.2.5
I7, Windows 10, 16 GB RAM
Radeon HD 5600

stratatonic

21 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
19 Nov 2021
Did you try clearing your graphics and index cache?
tronam wrote:
19 Nov 2021
I'm a little surprised Reason itself doesn't automatically refresh its caches whenever an update addresses any related issues. End users shouldn't need to repeatedly dig into their system folders to delete files just to get the program to work properly.

Is this something I need to do? And if so, why the heck wouldn’t ReasonStudios mention that if folks are having issues?
For clarity, Reason 12.2.2 did not open up that way - it started out fine. And then it all went to shit as you can see by the pics. So, I’d assume that a refresh was not the problem.

I’ve been using Reason for almost a decade and have had zero problems. Never clearing caches. I’ve been in many betas, including the latest with several updates and have had no graphic issues until 12.2.2.
However, I’m wiling to try what is needed.

Enoch, I checked your sticky here on file locations and don’t see a index cache path.
Tronam, I believe you’re on mac. Is Go>Option/Library>Application Support>Prop>Reason>Cache> and deleting Index_v2 and v4 what I should be doing?
tronam wrote:
19 Nov 2021
This R12 release reminds me of the way so many modern AAA games have been launching lately, requiring months of post-launch patches to fix bugs and performance issues. It's only going to get worse as more and more corporations and investment firms, driven by continual growth and quarterly earnings, start taking control over the most successful audio companies (among others). Native-Instruments and iZotope are yet another one of the most recent example of this, now controlled by Francisco Partners.
That's doesn't sound very promising at all... :(
stratatonic wrote:
18 Nov 2021
:( Thank you, Gardinski. I should have taken earwig's advice and should have left well enough alone!
Gardinski wrote:
18 Nov 2021
Well, there's a noticeable improvement in loading times for REs and individual patches. I'd assume that might still be of interest to you.
I was just razzing you about the update, Gardinski! :) Obviously it's not your fault. It does seem to open faster, yes.

gbuck

21 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
19 Nov 2021
stratatonic wrote:
19 Nov 2021
:( Thank you, Gardinski. I should have taken earwig's advice and should have left well enough alone!

Reason 12.2.2
Awesome, eh? :x
Transport Reason 12_2_2.png
Sequencer Reason 12_2_2.png
Browser Reason 12_2_2.png
Version 11 Suite loaded up in 15 to 20 seconds and the Browser was almost instantaneous. Now version 12.2 loads up in around one minute and the Browser in 15 to 20 seconds. I was wondering if clearing the graphics and index cache would help but the location is not listed in the handy location sticky? I don't want to clear the wrong stuff. Please list the locations if you would.
Thanks, Gary

zoidkirb

21 Nov 2021

Undocumented, but the issue of invisible automation at certain zoom levels seems (hopefully) to be gone.

stratatonic

22 Nov 2021

stratatonic wrote:
21 Nov 2021
EnochLight wrote:
19 Nov 2021

Enoch, I checked your sticky here on file locations and don’t see a index cache path.

Tronam, I believe you’re on mac. Is Go>Option/Library>Application Support>Prop>Reason>Cache> and deleting Index_v2 and v4 what I should be doing?
gbuck wrote:
21 Nov 2021
EnochLight wrote:
19 Nov 2021

....the location is not listed in the handy location sticky? I don't want to clear the wrong stuff. Please list the locations if you would.
Thanks, Gary
Can anyone help Gary and me? And possibly others? Thanks. :)

EnochLight

22 Nov 2021

stratatonic wrote:
22 Nov 2021
stratatonic wrote:
21 Nov 2021

gbuck wrote:
21 Nov 2021

....the location is not listed in the handy location sticky? I don't want to clear the wrong stuff. Please list the locations if you would.
Thanks, Gary
Hey sorry - missed your post. I'm on Windows, and the index file is located in the directory right above where the GraphicsCache folder is, so:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason

The file that allegedly is tied to the browser index is called "__ReasonIndex_v4".

I'm not sure where it is on Mac, sorry!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

moalla

22 Nov 2021

I´m must say now the important performance bugfixes are much earlier arrived this time, like in V10.
Yeah graphic fixes are really good, all looks nicer and cleaner on my 3 fhd displays, so the gpu bucking, when scrooling, is much more less and
my reason songs starting 30-50% faster than before.
Also the play button sync of vsts are now working again right.
Reason demonstrating now its adultness after 20 years, so some little aspects like an auto midi tab record function, and user shortcuts, and the promised updates, reason will be more or less the most perfect musician toolbox, i don´t think so that the sequencer needs an rewrit, it has to be so daring a uncomplicated tool for composition!

So if people have performance problems, than it´s a problem of old CPU infrastructure of them i would say, i also had a lot of cpu glitches with a ryzen1700 build in RE10 (no avx512, now with a 3Q 2019 CPU nothing like this happens, ps. I´that´s a new thing now witrh AVX512 (release2016) with actual CPU´s what distributors like NativeInstruments or UhE are now demands for their newer stuff!

But okay i understand now it´s hard for people with older stuff especial notebook users, without a dedicadet gpu inside their machine, i had several impressions with soundglitchs etc with an old i5 3220 thinkpad in R10....
So Reason get´s more and more a cpu hog monster :lol:

But when comes VST3 at least, my famous Bleass VSTS are waiting :twisted:
Last edited by moalla on 22 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

stratatonic

22 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Nov 2021
stratatonic wrote:
22 Nov 2021

Hey sorry - missed your post. I'm on Windows, and the index file is located in the directory right above where the GraphicsCache folder is, so:

The file that allegedly is tied to the browser index is called "__ReasonIndex_v4".

S'ok, it's probably the path that I wrote to Tronam - ReasonIndex_v4
There's also a ReasonIndex_v2
Did you just delete v4?
(Though I'm not having a problem with browsing necessarily. Just can't see things on occasion - that's everywhere, not just the browser...)
Reason 12_2_2 a.png
Reason 12_2_2 a.png (203.58 KiB) Viewed 167129 times
Reason12_2_2 b.png
Reason12_2_2 b.png (266.95 KiB) Viewed 167129 times

Unfortunately, don't see a GraphicsCache folder where v4 was.

Pepin

22 Nov 2021

Afaik, on mac the browser index is at ~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Reason/Caches/__ReasonIndex_v4.dat
And the graphics cache is at ~/Library/Caches/Reason/GraphicsCache

I have no __ReasonIndex_v2 on my machine.

sublunar

26 Nov 2021

Man.. Reason has been so boring and so disappointing for so long now. This update is just another example.

I check in every few months and hope there's something new and exciting and maybe an excuse to buy the "upgrade" but.. nope.

What do they have like 2 software engineers behind the scenes?

Arrant
Competition Winner

26 Nov 2021

sublunar wrote:
26 Nov 2021

What do they have like 2 software engineers behind the scenes?
That, unfortunately, may not be too far off the mark. I seem to remember reading somewhere not too long ago that they have 30-something employees in total?
Out of that you have to have people doing support, sales, HR, finance, a lot of marketing, updating the website, graphic design, liaising with other devs and resellers, office admin, coming up with subscription schemes, etc etc.

I used to work in a similarly sized software company and in total we had around 6 hardcore developers, plus a few fringe ones who understood the technology but didn't code as their main job.
Let's say RS has the same number or maybe a few more. We know that some of those developers are working on new devices, authorizers like Reason Companion, the web shop, the SDK etc. Not to mention stuff like Allihoopa and mobile apps back in the day.
In total I'd be surprised if there are more than 5 people at the very most who can actually do serious code changes within Reason itself.

Edit: I should point out that this is completely normal, an that it's entirely possible to create great software with a low number of developers.

stratatonic

26 Nov 2021

stratatonic wrote:
22 Nov 2021
EnochLight wrote:
22 Nov 2021

S'ok, it's probably the path that I wrote to Tronam - ReasonIndex_v4
There's also a ReasonIndex_v2
Did you just delete v4?
(Though I'm not having a problem with browsing necessarily. Just can't see things on occasion - that's everywhere, not just the browser...)
Reason 12_2_2 a.png

Reason12_2_2 b.png

Unfortunately, don't see a GraphicsCache folder where v4 was.
Pepin wrote:
22 Nov 2021
Afaik, on mac the browser index is at ~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Reason/Caches/__ReasonIndex_v4.dat
And the graphics cache is at ~/Library/Caches/Reason/GraphicsCache

I have no __ReasonIndex_v2 on my machine.
Thanks for the links, Pepin! :)

I think i will pass on the deleting those caches right now, I wouldn't say that I have a browser search issue which is why I may want to mess with that Reasonindex file.
And the graphics i don't think are an issue either - seems that would be more like hi-res stuff.
I'll guess I'll just work with Reason 11 for now. Disappointing, but what can you do?
I wonder, will there be an update before the end of the year?

Gardinski

26 Nov 2021

stratatonic wrote:
19 Nov 2021
Gardinski wrote:
18 Nov 2021
Well, there's a noticeable improvement in loading times for REs and individual patches. I'd assume that might still be of interest to you.

It suggests that the underlying code has been tightened up or optimised, so that might indicate a general performance improvement across the board which would be of benefit even for people who don't use Mimic etc, (although I haven't had a chance to test it much this evening, beyond a very quick twiddle).
Thank you, Gardinski. I should have taken earwig's advice and should have left well enough alone!

Reason 12.2.2 Fuckin' Awesome, eh?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hey - what can I say??? I live to please. :P

Lemme know if there's any other advice you need, and I'll do my very best to screw your life up even more. :thumbup:

Creativemind

26 Nov 2021

Arrant wrote:
26 Nov 2021
Edit: I should point out that this is completely normal, an that it's entirely possible to create great software with a low number of developers.
I know (and yes I know I keep harking back to this) such as Reaper only has 2 coders and release an update every 20-30 days (sometimes a bit longer buy usually every month) with about 30 features including bug fixes. Ok, the daw has no proper synths and stuff and no back of the rack stuff or a shop with Re's etc but Reason Studio's releases come at a right snails pace.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

QVprod

27 Nov 2021

Creativemind wrote:
26 Nov 2021
Arrant wrote:
26 Nov 2021
I know (and yes I know I keep harking back to this) such as Reaper only has 2 coders and release an update every 20-30 days (sometimes a bit longer buy usually every month) with about 30 features including bug fixes. Ok, the daw has no proper synths and stuff and no back of the rack stuff or a shop with Re's etc but Reason Studio's releases come at a right snails pace.
I'm not refuting that RS moves slower at updating than other DAWs as that's always been the case. However, most DAWs are not updated this often. Not just Reason. Besides, we're not talking about major feature adds in Reaper. Here's what the latest point update (6.42) includes:
Config export
encode .zip files with UTF-8 filename encoding for third party unzippers •
Media explorer
display .RPP start tempo rather than project tempo setting •
MusicXML export
improve encoding of .mxl with UTF-8 filenames
Notation editor
avoid vertical scrolling when inserting note via action •
Project settingss
fix project notes edit box on macOS •
Video
support loading FFmpeg/VLC on Windows when path contains UTF-8 characters
Previous updates have longer lists but are along the same lines of minimal additions. Don't be impressed because a list is long. The "2 coders" thing has less of an impact when what's being worked on are primarily small fixes that won't be noticed by most users. In fact, if we're just comparing lists, Reason's release notes list for the past 2 months is fairly substantial by that metric.

altron

28 Nov 2021

Anyone else having issues with Reason now using near 100% CPU when VSTis are used? I tested a couple songs that were working just fine a couple months ago and today I get glitching, stuttering, and dropouts in the same songs while Reason is using 99% CPU. What is going on? (I didn't update or change my system in any way since a year ago).
Trap is where music goes to die.

Creativemind

28 Nov 2021

QVprod wrote:
27 Nov 2021
Creativemind wrote:
26 Nov 2021

I'm not refuting that RS moves slower at updating than other DAWs as that's always been the case. However, most DAWs are not updated this often. Not just Reason. Besides, we're not talking about major feature adds in Reaper. Here's what the latest point update (6.42) includes:
Config export
encode .zip files with UTF-8 filename encoding for third party unzippers •
Media explorer
display .RPP start tempo rather than project tempo setting •
MusicXML export
improve encoding of .mxl with UTF-8 filenames
Notation editor
avoid vertical scrolling when inserting note via action •
Project settingss
fix project notes edit box on macOS •
Video
support loading FFmpeg/VLC on Windows when path contains UTF-8 characters
Previous updates have longer lists but are along the same lines of minimal additions. Don't be impressed because a list is long. The "2 coders" thing has less of an impact when what's being worked on are primarily small fixes that won't be noticed by most users. In fact, if we're just comparing lists, Reason's release notes list for the past 2 months is fairly substantial by that metric.
No, this is what was in the latest edition of Reaper....

Reaper 6.35.JPG
Reaper 6.35.JPG (160.94 KiB) Viewed 166552 times
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

QVprod

28 Nov 2021

Creativemind wrote:
28 Nov 2021
QVprod wrote:
27 Nov 2021

Reaper 6.35.JPG
Actually, that’s the August update. Not the latest one. Regardless, still proves my point.

guitfnky

28 Nov 2021

numerous small features/improvements released frequently vs. a new device released with a buggy update and minimal to no features or improvements every 3 months or more.

come on man, this is a silly defense of RS. not exactly intellectually honest, either.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

RoryM0

28 Nov 2021

Is anybody else still noticing that small lag when first adding a device to the rack / first flipping the rack / first opening a collapsed device saved in a previous session? It's only a small lag but just wondered if it's still a thing for others or not.

QVprod

28 Nov 2021

guitfnky wrote:
28 Nov 2021
numerous small features/improvements released frequently vs. a new device released with a buggy update and minimal to no features or improvements every 3 months or more.

come on man, this is a silly defense of RS. not exactly intellectually honest, either.
There's no way you read my post. I posted a link to Reason's release notes of bug fixes over the past 2 months if you want to go by a metric of a long list of bug fixes and/or small improvements... Also, this wasn't even a Reason defense as the first thing I said was that they've always been slow.

Just because I'm not overly critical doesn't mean I'm on a "side"

kitekrazy

28 Nov 2021

Creativemind wrote:
28 Nov 2021
QVprod wrote:
27 Nov 2021

Reaper 6.35.JPG
I wish I was deep enough into Reaper to understand what most of those updates are,

guitfnky

28 Nov 2021

QVprod wrote:
28 Nov 2021
guitfnky wrote:
28 Nov 2021

There's no way you read my post. I posted a link to Reason's release notes of bug fixes over the past 2 months if you want to go by a metric of a long list of bug fixes and/or small improvements... Also, this wasn't even a Reason defense as the first thing I said was that they've always been slow.

Just because I'm not overly critical doesn't mean I'm on a "side"
I did read your post. I’ve read many of them, in fact. one post may not constitute a defense, sure, but a pattern…
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information