kinda basic music question

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
User avatar
Chizmata
Posts: 709
Joined: 21 Dec 2015

Post 26 Nov 2021

i dont really know how i would google this, but maybe you can help me out really quick:

on the piano roll, you have c1, c2, c3 etc. but does the counting of a new octave actually start at c? so would the a below c2 be a1 or a2?

thank you!

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 2990
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 26 Nov 2021

Yes. A below c2 would be A1. Doesn't the piano roll on Reason have names for the notes? 🤔
The latest release:

User avatar
Chizmata
Posts: 709
Joined: 21 Dec 2015

Post 26 Nov 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
26 Nov 2021
Yes. A below c2 would be A1. Doesn't the piano roll on Reason have names for the notes? 🤔
thank you. if so, i overlooked it.

User avatar
huggermugger
Posts: 571
Joined: 16 Jul 2021

Post 26 Nov 2021

Yes, the count starts at C. It's a little weird, but everyone seems to like C.


User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3840
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 26 Nov 2021

huggermugger wrote:
26 Nov 2021
Yes, the count starts at C. It's a little weird, but everyone seems to like C.
It's to do with Italian monks and the fixed solafe (I think that's how you spell it)

Ye oldie

Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti

Do is C in the fixed scale ;)

User avatar
Chizmata
Posts: 709
Joined: 21 Dec 2015

Post 26 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Nov 2021
huggermugger wrote:
26 Nov 2021
Yes, the count starts at C. It's a little weird, but everyone seems to like C.
It's to do with Italian monks and the fixed solafe (I think that's how you spell it)

Ye oldie

Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti

Do is C in the fixed scale ;)
ah, guido of arezzo and all his blessings and curses :D

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 1661
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 26 Nov 2021

The reason octaves start on C is to make it a bit harder to learn music theory.
"Right kids, you know how the alphabet starts with A? Well the musical alphabet starts with C and the A and B come along a little later. Also, there are 12 different notes but only 7 different letters..."

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3840
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 26 Nov 2021

Accidentals is the bit I've always found weird, I know when you got one of them smaller keyboards that you hit them more than you mean but normally you play them on purpose.
Last edited by Billy+ on 26 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Chizmata
Posts: 709
Joined: 21 Dec 2015

Post 26 Nov 2021

DaveyG wrote:
26 Nov 2021
The reason octaves start on C is to make it a bit harder to learn music theory.
"Right kids, you know how the alphabet starts with A? Well the musical alphabet starts with C and the A and B come along a little later. Also, there are 12 different notes but only 7 different letters..."
in germany also:

"but after a doesnt follow b, but h. h flat is called b though".

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3840
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 26 Nov 2021

Chizmata wrote:
26 Nov 2021

in germany also:

"but after a doesnt follow b, but h. h flat is called b though".
Yeah the first I saw that it proper made my head spin. Initially I had assumed a misprint :lol:

User avatar
Chizmata
Posts: 709
Joined: 21 Dec 2015

Post 26 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Nov 2021
Chizmata wrote:
26 Nov 2021

in germany also:

"but after a doesnt follow b, but h. h flat is called b though".
Yeah the first I saw that it proper made my head spin. Initially I had assumed a misprint :lol:
well, some people do attribute this to a monk with bad handwriting somewhere in history. but nobody really knows why its like that.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 2990
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 26 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Nov 2021
Accidentals is the bit I've always found weird, I know why you got one of them smaller keyboards that you hit them more than you mean but normally you play them on purpose.
Accidentals are called so not because of any instrument but because of reading and writing; when you are in a key signature, and at certain point your composition plays a note that doesn't belong to the key, that note is an accidental and will be represented on the paper with a symbol next to it.
The latest release:

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3840
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 26 Nov 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
26 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
26 Nov 2021
Accidentals is the bit I've always found weird, I know why you got one of them smaller keyboards that you hit them more than you mean but normally you play them on purpose.
Accidentals are called so not because of any instrument but because of reading and writing; when you are in a key signature, and at certain point your composition plays a note that doesn't belong to the key, that note is an accidental and will be represented on the paper with a symbol next to it.
That's interesting, I was under the impression that flat or sharps in the key signature were still called accidentals?
Music theory is still something that simply baffles me but I never let it stop me, I'm happy to use any note if it works and always find it funny when scales and chords suggests that it's incorrect.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 10137
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 26 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Nov 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
26 Nov 2021


Accidentals are called so not because of any instrument but because of reading and writing; when you are in a key signature, and at certain point your composition plays a note that doesn't belong to the key, that note is an accidental and will be represented on the paper with a symbol next to it.
That's interesting, I was under the impression that flat or sharps in the key signature were still called accidentals?
Music theory is still something that simply baffles me but I never let it stop me, I'm happy to use any note if it works and always find it funny when scales and chords suggests that it's incorrect.
Half the notes I play are "accidentals", but I may be misusing the term… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 1661
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 26 Nov 2021

I only play happy accidentals.

Image

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3840
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 26 Nov 2021

:lol:

I've been using www.scales-chords.com/scaledinder.php to find the scale when I need to.

The last one I was using is apparently E eight tone Spanish.

User avatar
pushedbutton
Posts: 1474
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Lancashire, UK

Post 26 Nov 2021

Pythagoras was wrong, music is broken.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3840
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 26 Nov 2021

E eight tone spanish E; F; G; G#/Ab; A; A#/Bb; C; D; E;

its very much just a 4 bar loop at the moment, but when writing it i paid no attention to key scale mode and just used my ears....
23-November-2021-01.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shamantrixx
Posts: 3
Joined: 02 Jan 2022

Post 14 Jan 2022

DaveyG wrote:
26 Nov 2021
The reason octaves start on C is to make it a bit harder to learn music theory.
"Right kids, you know how the alphabet starts with A? Well the musical alphabet starts with C and the A and B come along a little later. Also, there are 12 different notes but only 7 different letters..."
Could be worse. Math uses X,Y and Z 😁

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: dE.niz, Mojeek [Bot] and 1 guest