Synapse Audio Black Friday Sale (up to 60% off ) - not only FX anymore

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
botnotbot

25 Nov 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
23 Nov 2021
How is the RE-160 compared to Waves dbx160? Anywhere near the ballpark?
I haven't used the Waves plugin but RE-160 is an awesome compressor. I put it on drums all the time and it also does a great job at sidechaining.

Different question: does Obsession cycle through the different voice boards when in mono mode? Basically I'm wondering whether it works as an "all-in-one" approach to getting variations, something I have really enjoyed using Distributor for in the past.

dvdrtldg

25 Nov 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
23 Nov 2021
Ballpark, but I like the Waves version better. Actually I find both compressors a bit of a one trick pony - the sweet spot is sweet, but there's a very narrow window between "not doing much" and "crushing the signal to death"

The two of them sound more or less the same imo, I haven't done any sort of scientific comparison but you can immediately hear they're modelled on the same hardware. But the dbx160 has a smoother release when you drive the input hard, the RE-160 on similar settings gets an unstable pumping effect which might be OK if you could sync it, but you can't

Also, Waves version has wet/dry, mid/side and dual modes, Synapse doesn't have these

rootwheel

02 Dec 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
23 Nov 2021
Both are great for drums and also for bass once you know how to use them properly. I prefer the RE-160 because it integrates more nicely into the rack than Waves' VST and for ease of use it has a single set of stereo knobs rather than the L and R separate channel knobs the Waves version has.

Contrary to what the last poster said, the RE-160 does have a mix knob to blend the Dry/Wet signal.

Give the RE a trial and see how you get on.

• Information