Upgrade question- talk to me like i'm new

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
C//AZM

24 Nov 2021

Hello Reason sisters and brothers
long time no speak!
Ive been quietly working away on songs, projects and all sorts of new (to me) chordal structures and changes. I've been re-learning playing the vibes...something I hadn't done since the 1990s.

I haven't updated my rig in ages, it's been working fine as is...except the comp, a 2011 mac mini is ancient and has moved far beyond its shelf life as a DAW comp. I've taken this puppy as far as she can go and it's time to take the dive.

New comp coming soon. Either a M1max or whatever is new in Jan/feb.

New Apollo x6 to replace/augment my Silverface Apollo from the first month they were released.

PT I've ignored Protools upgrade angst by not even looking. I may switch to LUNA and avoid the madness. And to be honest, I don't even know just how Avid is screwing us, all I see is so much anger from my long time audio friends...must be something.

Ignorance is bliss, and i've been compartmentalizing my worries. Haven't been worrying about anything that hasn't affected me directly or beyond my control right now. needed the extra bandwidth for more important things.

REASON- I'm on 10 .whatever, and there has been a whole load of new developments/advancements.
I haven't paid much attention, but it's time to pay attention.

If this forum is like it used to be,
I'm sure this question has been talked about argued about
People have been banned,
others have written epic "I'm leaving" posts,
and others have shouted at Matthias.
I've missed it all.
Mental preservation.

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum....
Reason 12 or Reason 12+
From what I understand, two versions
Reason 12 is the standalone? $199? gets me the latest version. When the next version comes, I may have to pay for upgrade...just like with version 1 through now, right?

Reason+ is a subscription version?
What happens if I stop with the sub? Am I frozen at the month i unsub??
will I be reduced back to reason 10 with no ability to play my ver 12 songs?
if there is a clearly explained link, please share it with me. I'm looking for Pros/Cons and also experiences, complaints and pleasures.
Since I don't upgrade like I used to and since I don't have paying clients like I used to, I'm leaning toward just upgrading to 12 non-sub
Any advice would help.

...EDIT Wasn't there something called Suite? is that now the sub package?

DaveyG

24 Nov 2021

C//AZM wrote:
24 Nov 2021
Yes, you get to keep the soundpacks but lose the ability to open any R12 songs and you also lose the REs that came with the sub (unless you already own them, of course).

The other downside at present is that you must be online to use R+ but they have said they are looking at offline authentication for it - no timescale though.

C//AZM

24 Nov 2021

DaveyG wrote:
24 Nov 2021
C//AZM wrote:
24 Nov 2021
Yes, you get to keep the soundpacks but lose the ability to open any R12 songs and you also lose the REs that came with the sub (unless you already own them, of course).

The other downside at present is that you must be online to use R+ but they have said they are looking at offline authentication for it - no timescale though.
I see. Thanks for that. I want to keep it simple. PLUS, I really don't want a lot of new synths and devices...just a few choice ones plus the added new features and improvements. I need the option to take an extended break and have the exact same launch scenario. Simplicity. yes!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2021

You should probably stay on R10 for a little longer. The launch of R12 hasn't exactly been like their normal releases. Lots of issues and bugs for many people. Some people who upgraded have felt the need to revert back to older versions. Reason Studios is working on it. But if you want to keep it simple and not run the risk of getting potential issues, I suggest wait until more people can confirm that R12 works the way it should. Apparently it's been a gamble. Works fine for some, while not for others.
R10 has most of the important stuff anyway. R11 wasn't a huge upgrade, so you're not missing out on too much.
They had a R11 Suite deal which was pretty sweet with all their (at the time) current rack extensions. But they discontinued that.

MuttReason

24 Nov 2021

I'm in the 'holding off on R12 until more stable' camp. I'm sure that some here on this board (and probably many others who never even look at this board) are broadly happy with R12 stability, but I think a significant proportion are not having a happy experience - and RS themselves have clearly stated as much. So waiting for a bit longer seems wise.

Also.... Luna. It's a wonderful looking product but UAD are on a similar journey to RS in terms of trying to reach program stability. It's a brand new platform (and, to be fair, it's free if you already own UAD hardware) and has a way to go before it hits primetime IME. Also a LOT of functionality we take for granted in most DAWs isn't there yet, although UAD are clear new features are coming (yep, it's yet another roadmap to follow LOL). I wouldn't rely on 'avoiding the madness' by switching to Luna, you may just encounter a slightly different flavour of madness (albeit one that is about a year ahead of the R12 madness and that much more mature as a result).

Arrant
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2021

Stay on 10. 10 is good.
Since the upgrade is not on sale you’re in no rush, better off waiting for that to happen or until 12 is stable in any case.

Billy+

24 Nov 2021

If you're waiting for new hardware I would hold off upgrading Reason until then give R12+ trial a go currently €$£1 for the first month but you will be able to download and keep all the sound packs and see if you're setup works for what you want.

With R10 you're fine for the most part R11 really didn't add much and R12 is currently nothing more than a load of planned features yet to be completed and ultimately all ready delayed for months Septembers update hasn't been released and although an update came out it wasn't the one listed.

Hopefully by January things should start to look a bit clearer but that's a plan not a promise according to official sources.

challism

24 Nov 2021

I just have to say that I love the title of your post! So funny... talk to me like I'm new! That's great!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

QVprod

24 Nov 2021

Coming from 10, the primary additions have been Reason as a plug-in, SSL comps and EQ as rack devices, mimic (sampler), and Combinator 2. Question would be whether any of those mean anything to you.

Steedus
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2021

I'll answer these few things directly, for clarity:
C//AZM wrote:
24 Nov 2021
Reason 12 or Reason 12+
From what I understand, two versions
Reason 12 is the standalone? $199? gets me the latest version. When the next version comes, I may have to pay for upgrade...just like with version 1 through now, right?
Yep Reason 12 is the standalone release/upgrade and yes like other versions you'll need to pay the upgrade price again whenever version 13 comes out.
C//AZM wrote:
24 Nov 2021
Reason+ is a subscription version?
What happens if I stop with the sub? Am I frozen at the month i unsub??
Yep that's right. Reason+ is a subscription service that gets you access to the latest version of the software, and all additional "Sold Separately" devices that Reason Studios has released so far (called Rack Extensions). The subscription, while active, will also grant you immediate access to any new versions that come out (including any major version upgrades, like a future Reason 13 release), and any new devices Reason Studios releases. You won't have to pay any extra to gain access to new releases. You also get access to a weekly release of patches, from various freelance producers covering a range of styles and devices.
C//AZM wrote:
24 Nov 2021
Yes. In the event of you cancelling the subscription, or letting it lapse, you will still have your standalone Reason 10 license ofcourse, but any songs made or edited in Reason+ won't be compatible with the older version. This is ultimately one of the reasons I went for a standalone license (even after signing up for a year of R+).
C//AZM wrote:
24 Nov 2021
Yeah there was a version of Reason 11 released called Reason Suite 11. It was essentially the regular Reason 11 release, but also included licenses for all of Reason Studios' "Sold Separately" devices up until that time, all in one package. Think of it like a regular version upgrade, but with an additional bundle of Reason Rack Extensions added on in one neat package. If you search around online you may still be able to find an upgrade license for the Suite version of Reason 11 somewhere.

The subscription does basically replace that. A pro is that you will get any new future devices they make for no extra cost.. The con is, if you cancel the subscription you lose access to these devices.

Goriila Texas

25 Nov 2021

I upgraded early to get Reason at the regular price of $129 before the price hike. All I use is Mimic RRP which is a one-shot beast with some of the best stretch algorithms I've used in a sampler. Depends on what you need and only you know what you need.

EnochLight

26 Nov 2021

C//AZM wrote:
24 Nov 2021
I'm leaning toward just upgrading to 12 non-sub
Any advice would help.
Sounds like the best option for you IMHO.
C//AZM wrote:
24 Nov 2021
Suite is discontinued. Ignore it. That said, Suite didn't give you all RS rack extensions. The sub does.
QVprod wrote:
24 Nov 2021
Coming from 10, the primary additions have been Reason as a plug-in, SSL comps and EQ as rack devices, mimic (sampler), and Combinator 2. Question would be whether any of those mean anything to you.
^^ THIS ^^
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

C//AZM

26 Nov 2021

Thanks to all of you for answering all of my questions!
I’m looking forward to the new computer whenever it gets to me. When that happens, I plan on getting the latest software, but it has to be stable. I’m sorry to see that Reason has been having problems for some people, that’s kind of a drag especially when you’ve been working with the same software for years and years.
Maybe by the time I get the new comp, (1st quarter 22)reason will have ironed out all of their issues.

Meanwhile, I’ve played a lot with Luna, and I really like it. The thing that I was waiting for was side-chaining, and it’s here. As far as the other features, it’s definitely complete enough for me to mix with. As long as I have a creative DAW like Readon as well.
challism wrote:
24 Nov 2021
I just have to say that I love the title of your post! So funny... talk to me like I'm new! That's great!
Lol well I haven’t been paying attention since 2019 so…

C//AZM

16 Jun 2022

Just popping up to see if it’s safe to upgrade. The sale is attractive but the computer is still “to be updated” so I couldn’t use 12 anyway…but the price looks great.
My choices are;
1. Buy now, use later.
2. Don’t bother, it’s still buggy
3. Wait till I buy the new computer.

I will get a Mac studio in late summer.
Buying a bunch of outboard, some mics and a new interface (probably… maybe another Apollo)

rgdaniel

16 Jun 2022

I'm leaning towards buy now, use later myself. Rather vintage Win10 PC by now, although R11 works just fine on it...

moofi

16 Jun 2022

Get it now :-)
C//AZM wrote:
16 Jun 2022
Just popping up to see if it’s safe to upgrade. The sale is attractive but the computer is still “to be updated” so I couldn’t use 12 anyway…but the price looks great.
My choices are;
1. Buy now, use later.

Buying a bunch of outboard, some mics and a new interface (probably… maybe another Apollo)

WOO

18 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
16 Jun 2022
C//AZM wrote:
16 Jun 2022
My choices are;
1. Buy now, use later.

Buy it now if you want to save some money and install it later. I just today, installed 12 on my win desktop and still can't get it to open up. So yea, if you buy it on sale save yourself the headache and install it later, much later.

moofi

18 Jun 2022

Well, sounds a little bit unlucky, never really had issues here with 12 since release. Then while there are certainly issues for some people it at least appears to be the minority hence the recommendation nonetheless. Should be testable through the demo version before buying.
WOO wrote:
18 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
16 Jun 2022

Buy it now if you want to save some money and install it later. I just today, installed 12 on my win desktop and still can't get it to open up. So yea, if you buy it on sale save yourself the headache and install it later, much later.

• Information