Ekksperimental Sounds Black Friday Sale (50% off)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

ekss
RE Developer

22 Nov 2021

An additional Past To Future & Ekss Black Friday Bundle will be published later today or tomorrow (shop admin has a lot to do at the moment) it will be all the PTF & ES collab REs for 70% off :)

rootwheel

22 Nov 2021

ekss wrote:
22 Nov 2021
An additional Past To Future & Ekss Black Friday Bundle will be published later today or tomorrow (shop admin has a lot to do at the moment) it will be all the PTF & ES collab REs for 70% off :)
Looking forward to some Ekss bundles! :)

Quick question (and sorry to hijack the thread) but you didn't happen to be involved in any of the recreation of the stock Reason assets in Hi-Res for Reason 12 did you? Maybe it's just me but somehow I feel like I can sense your artistic fingerprints over many of the remade graphics...

ekss
RE Developer

22 Nov 2021

rootwheel wrote:
22 Nov 2021
ekss wrote:
22 Nov 2021
Looking forward to some Ekss bundles! :)

Quick question (and sorry to hijack the thread) but you didn't happen to be involved in any of the recreation of the stock Reason assets in Hi-Res for Reason 12 did you? Maybe it's just me but somehow I feel like I can sense your artistic fingerprints over many of the remade graphics...
Hehe, indeed I was involved in a few devices yes, did Redrum, Dr.Octorex, Thor, Kong and some various stuff. Fantastic that you could sense that! 😄

moofi

22 Nov 2021

Been trialing Industrializer for an hour or something. Very smooth device. :thumbs_up:

I tried recreating the internal modulation through outside CV because I wanted to go lower in rate compared to wthat the internal modulation offers,
modulating the freq + amp parameter - with merely mediocre success.
Is it the difference in resolution letting the CV modulation sound less punchy or are there additional factors coming into play?

ekss
RE Developer

22 Nov 2021

moofi wrote:
22 Nov 2021
Been trialing Industrializer for an hour or something. Very smooth device. :thumbs_up:

I tried recreating the internal modulation through outside CV because I wanted to go lower in rate compared to wthat the internal modulation offers,
Is it the difference in resolution letting the CV modulation sound less punchy or are there additional factors coming into play?
How do you mean “punchy”? On very slow modulation it will be slow changes of filter and amp, can’t really see how that could be punchy?
On higher rates CV is somewhat smoothened compared to internal routing (this is controlled by reason)

challism

22 Nov 2021

Thanks for the generous sale price, Erik!
Looking forward to picking up Tape Echo, Filter Chain, Sadist, and one of the drum synths (probably Drumsyn). Woooo hoooo!
moofi wrote:
22 Nov 2021
Obviously, Erik is the guy to answer your questions. I just wanted to chime in about Instustrializer and give it a huge recommendation. Such an interesting creative effect. I picked it up during the last big sale (May Madness) and knew I was going to buy it after about 5 minutes. Love it!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

moofi

22 Nov 2021

I am using a square wave for modulation at 0.5 Hz hence the abrupt change causing punchiness.

I aswell looked at Industrializer´s ENV-ouput in comparison to the external CV noticing it´s not exactly a square but a slightly enveloped square with a softer slope on its downside.
So I enveloped the square aswell, getting it closer yet the downslope was invertedly bulged, so I recreated the basic sloped squarewave within Europa, yet without much further leading success in regards to the sonic outcome.

A/B comparison (first 8 bars are Industrializer modulating the amp internally, second 8 bars are external CV):
Industrializer internal & CV modulation .mp3
(933.37 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

ekss wrote:
22 Nov 2021
moofi wrote:
22 Nov 2021

How do you mean “punchy”? On very slow modulation it will be slow changes of filter and amp, can’t really see how that could be punchy?
On higher rates CV is somewhat smoothened compared to internal routing (this is controlled by reason)

ekss
RE Developer

22 Nov 2021

moofi wrote:
22 Nov 2021
I am using a square wave for modulation at 0.5 Hz hence the abrupt change causing punchiness.

I aswell looked at Industrializer´s ENV-ouput in comparison to the external CV noticing it´s not exactly a square but a slightly enveloped square with a softer slope on its downside.
So I enveloped the square aswell, getting it closer yet the downslope was invertedly bulged, so I recreated the basic sloped squarewave within Europa, yet without much further leading success in regards to the sonic outcome.

A/B comparison (first 8 bars are Industrializer modulating the amp internally, second 8 bars are external CV):

Industrializer internal & CV modulation .mp3

ekss wrote:
22 Nov 2021

Maybe if you bias the amp with the programmable LFO, all steps on low/high to change the base level that could help?
If it feels to sluggish/soft it’s probably the CV smoothing. Then it’s probably better to use another device, like Thor, for that modulation (it might have quicker response) and then route the signal on to Indstrlzr for further processing.

Steedus
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2021

Hey when does the sale end? Want to trial a few things this weekend, if possible.

ekss
RE Developer

23 Nov 2021

Steedus wrote:
23 Nov 2021
Hey when does the sale end? Want to trial a few things this weekend, if possible.
Monday 29th is the last day of sale.

ekss
RE Developer

23 Nov 2021

Temporary Past To Future & ES Black Friday bundle now available with a big discount: save 70%!

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bund ... es-bundle/

moofi

23 Nov 2021

Yes, if I use the programmable LFO it sounds identical, no matter what curve I paint, saying it´s the basic more present internal modulation sound.
Then I cannot slow down the internal LFO below 0.5 nor can I shift the phase like I can with external sources, reason I wanted to modulate it externally.
ekss wrote:
22 Nov 2021

Maybe if you bias the amp with the programmable LFO, all steps on low/high to change the base level that could help?
Yes, I also at least assume it´s the way external CV is being handled. I tested the amp modulation within Thor internally and it just sounded the way INDSTRLZR does inside.
Hence I could potentially use Thor for that matter (though merely the internal modulation sources because as I use external CV on Thor for that matter it goes to soft again), then it´s not only clunky because I only found a way to process the audio inside Thor in mono, so I would have to use 2 Thors for that matter, unless I´m missing something and it´s not only about modulating the amp but aswell the filter, that I couldn´t replicate within Thor.
Anway, it´s actually in Reason´s hand to raise CV-quality to audioresolution eventually so smoothening wouldn´t be necessary anymore :-)
ekss wrote:
22 Nov 2021

If it feels to sluggish/soft it’s probably the CV smoothing. Then it’s probably better to use another device, like Thor, for that modulation (it might have quicker response) and then route the signal on to Indstrlzr for further processing.

ekss
RE Developer

23 Nov 2021

moofi wrote:
23 Nov 2021
Yes, if I use the programmable LFO it sounds identical, no matter what curve I paint, saying it´s the basic more present internal modulation sound.
Then I cannot slow down the internal LFO below 0.5 nor can I shift the phase like I can with external sources, reason I wanted to modulate it externally.
ekss wrote:
22 Nov 2021

Yes, I also at least assume it´s the way external CV is being handled. I tested the amp modulation within Thor internally and it just sounded the way INDSTRLZR does inside.
Hence I could potentially use Thor for that matter (though merely the internal modulation sources because as I use external CV on Thor for that matter it goes to soft again), then it´s not only clunky because I only found a way to process the audio inside Thor in mono, so I would have to use 2 Thors for that matter, unless I´m missing something and it´s not only about modulating the amp but aswell the filter, that I couldn´t replicate within Thor.
Anway, it´s actually in Reason´s hand to raise CV-quality to audioresolution eventually so smoothening wouldn´t be necessary anymore :-)
ekss wrote:
22 Nov 2021

I did try modulating it with a square wave from pulsar and I can’t really say it’s a big difference from the internal modulation, well, it’s a tiny big of smoothing but for slow speeds I find it hardly noticeable.

You can modulate a stereo signal within Thor, i made a combi for you so you can see how it can be done:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4euhv2wlgv3fs ... e.cmb?dl=0

The pulsar handles the LFO part and goes to CV input 1, you could instead use one of the LFOs in Thor if you like - just change it in the modulation matrix. :)

Edit: Mods - could these post regarding Indstrlzr be moved to the Indstrlzr thread?

moofi

23 Nov 2021

I already did it that way, thank you anyway :-)

Then the filter adds its drive to the sound reason I simply used the clean, yet merely mono processing amp before Filter 3.
External modulation in combination with the filter drive sounds quite fine because the drive compensates for the missing impact of the CV-input and can even go beyond the standard internal modulation grittiness by increasing its level. As soon as you take out the filter though (necessary for a clean signal) it goes back to the apparent standard softness of external CV-inputs. So the only way I can currently think of amp modulating a stereo signal internally would be using one Thor for each channel and thus only Thor´s internal modulation sources. Then it wouldn´t effect Idstrlzr´s filter I wanted to modulate in the first place anyway.

Gonna stop for now, until the posts might be moved, though I at least guess we got it sorted out, with the result of smoothing CV-inputs being the cause.
ekss wrote:
23 Nov 2021

I did try modulating it with a square wave from pulsar and I can’t really say it’s a big difference from the internal modulation, well, it’s a tiny big of smoothing but for slow speeds I find it hardly noticeable.

You can modulate a stereo signal within Thor, i made a combi for you so you can see how it can be done:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4euhv2wlgv3fs ... e.cmb?dl=0

The pulsar handles the LFO part and goes to CV input 1, you could instead use one of the LFOs in Thor if you like - just change it in the modulation matrix. :)

Edit: Mods - could these post regarding Indstrlzr be moved to the Indstrlzr thread?

moofi

23 Nov 2021

Regarding the sale, I´m very much into Dub Preamp, one of Reason´s best sounding devices I find. :clap:

When I got back into musik making like 2+ months ago I got AUTO X Compressor I´m pretty fond of in terms of sound, versatility + design.
Already went for Filterchain during sale I very much like for its echo + reverb + SVF + frequency shifter.

Sadist is hard to not go for either. :-)

Obviously I very much enjoy Indstrlzr aswell :-D

TapeEcho is also quite interesting, then I at least got it partially covered by Filterchain´s echo similarity for now.

Well, then there is aswell the ES Utility Bundle, Drum Synth plus ES Synth series + TapeFunk I only know the demos of and some I just learned exist like the 6 channel mixer and SYNR.

Currently haven´t got the funds for everything though :-D

Anyway, at least looking forward to going for Dub PreAmp and Sadist for now (possibly Indstrlzr aswell) :-)

Steedus
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2021

ekss wrote:
23 Nov 2021
Steedus wrote:
23 Nov 2021
Cheers! :thumbs_up:

moofi

23 Nov 2021

I can recommend extending the sale until the beginning of December, when paychecks or anything alike have rolled in. At least it could be interesting here :-)
Steedus wrote:
23 Nov 2021
ekss wrote:
23 Nov 2021

Cheers! :thumbs_up:

challism

23 Nov 2021

I just realized that I'm basically just handing over my next paycheck to Ekss!
Can you please stop making REs now, Erik?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Steedus
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2021

Are there any videos with Wavemaster? Feel like getting a new synth, but can’t justify amalgam. SineSynth looks intimidating haha.

ekss
RE Developer

24 Nov 2021

Steedus wrote:
24 Nov 2021
Are there any videos with Wavemaster? Feel like getting a new synth, but can’t justify amalgam. SineSynth looks intimidating haha.
I'll make a video with it today!

It's also shown a little bit in this one:

(Playing simple bass around 21:30)

moofi

24 Nov 2021

Already sounds pretty good in that video :-)
Wondering why there isn´t any Dub Preamp on top of the song though :-D
ekss wrote:
24 Nov 2021
Steedus wrote:
24 Nov 2021
I'll make a video with it today!

It's also shown a little bit in this one:

(Playing simple bass around 21:30)

ekss
RE Developer

24 Nov 2021

Steedus wrote:
24 Nov 2021
It's available on twitch right now, and on youtube once the processing has finished:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1214565123
https://youtu.be/UtsBIMrE0I0

Hoboys

24 Nov 2021

Not necessarily a suggestions, but I would be very curious to see some raggae/dub production with in-depth exploration of the dub pre-amp, the siren, the tubby filters, the springs, the tape :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2021

Hoboys wrote:
24 Nov 2021
Not necessarily a suggestions, but I would be very curious to see some raggae/dub production in-depth exploration of the dub pre-amp, the siren, the tubby filters, the springs, the tape :)
Go for it selecter. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information