Reasonstudios Black Friday Week

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2021

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
23 Nov 2021
Reminiscence wrote:
23 Nov 2021
Was hoping to use my Rewards points also, but it aint going to happen with no discounts on top... :(
Anything that is in the Rewards shop that goes on sale gets removed from the Rewards shop for the duration of the sale I believe.
Yep. But there were hints back when the the shop was getting a revamp that they (RS REs at least) may remain in the Rewards Section even during sales. That’s why I held off using my points until yesterday. Guess it didn’t pan out. But, as I said above, I’ve stopped caring. Accepted it and moved on with my life. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

kitekrazy

23 Nov 2021

MrFigg wrote:
23 Nov 2021
Tiny Montgomery wrote:
23 Nov 2021

Anything that is in the Rewards shop that goes on sale gets removed from the Rewards shop for the duration of the sale I believe.
Yep. But there were hints back when the the shop was getting a revamp that they (RS REs at least) may remain in the Rewards Section even during sales. That’s why I held off using my points until yesterday. Guess it didn’t pan out. But, as I said above, I’ve stopped caring. Accepted it and moved on with my life. :)
It's much easier to do if it's not your main DAW. I still remember getting the boxed version of Reason 4 and thinking how cools it was. Now I feel saddened where it's at now. It could be worse it if gets acquired by Gibson.

fullforce

23 Nov 2021

earwig83 wrote:
22 Nov 2021
IMO a terrible UI choice. Nobody clicks un unmarked cart/bag/etc icon thinking it will take them to a store. It is universally understood as a quick "get to cart" button. Clearly should be the word "shop" in that gap between the cart icon and the other menu words. They are being difficult on purpose as they don't want to encourage further RE growth for some weird reason.
Yep. Extremely bad UI design.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

ravasb

23 Nov 2021

This is the first time in many years that I am sitting out the Black Friday sale. I feel bad for the third party devs who are trying, but I don't feel good about sinking more money into Reason. I foolishly subscribed for the year and do not see a point in spending more money on something so poorly supported. I am really excited about VCV Rack 2 coming out and that is where I will put more of my money and energy. I still like Reason a lot and will keep using it, but it is hard to love a company that clearly does not love me back.

rgdaniel

23 Nov 2021

ravasb wrote:
23 Nov 2021
This is the first time in many years that I am sitting out the Black Friday sale. I feel bad for the third party devs who are trying, but I don't feel good about sinking more money into Reason.
Same.

challism

23 Nov 2021

Has anyone noticed a change in the shop? Other than basically becoming an ONION site accessible only thru hidden wiki links via the dark web.....

I'm talking about the filters. It seems like we used to be able to search for something.... like "drum" and then apply filters (on the left side of the page) such as player or synth and the results would filter the search term "drum" thru all the filters, thus showing you all the drum synths, or drum players, for example. But now, if you search for something (drum) it will show you all the resutls for drums (same behavior as before) but if you try to apply a filter (synth), it just loads all the 200+ synths (omitting the world drum) just like it would a brand new search. It seems that the filters have been replaced with category links, dropping the initial search term. Not good at all.
rgdaniel wrote:
23 Nov 2021
ravasb wrote:
23 Nov 2021
This is the first time in many years that I am sitting out the Black Friday sale. I feel bad for the third party devs who are trying, but I don't feel good about sinking more money into Reason.
Same.
This is the first time in many years I am actually buying a lot of stuff. I'm pretty excited about my new purchases!

I'm curious how RS decision to leave all their products out of the sale will affect 3rd party sales. Obviously they will get a huge increase, as there aren't any RS REs to choose, but I'm just curious how much the numbers will increase. Maybe RS will take a look at that and realize it was a mistake. Lost income for RS, really.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

nickb523
RE Developer

23 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
23 Nov 2021

I'm curious how RS decision to leave all their products out of the sale will affect 3rd party sales. Obviously they will get a huge increase, as there aren't any RS REs to choose, but I'm just curious how much the numbers will increase. Maybe RS will take a look at that and realize it was a mistake. Lost income for RS, really.
RS usually help drive third party sales so I'm not particularly hopeful for a good sale period this year. BF is usually insane for sales to the point that most of us probably make the bulk of their yearly income throughout BF and Xmas but so far this year it's looking pretty dead. There have been no email campaigns or even social media posts about the shop sales, it's all been R+ focused. This year us third parties are totally on our own.

Check out the top sellers list, it's mostly RS releases that aren't even on sale. Those four spots should be changing throughout the day with various third party products but it's been almost static.

It's still early on but it's not looking great!

challism

23 Nov 2021

nickb523 wrote:
23 Nov 2021
challism wrote:
23 Nov 2021

RS usually help drive third party sales so I'm not particularly hopeful for a good sale period this year. BF is usually insane for sales to the point that most of us probably make the bulk of their yearly income throughout BF and Xmas but so far this year it's looking pretty dead. There have been no email campaigns or even social media posts about the shop sales, it's all been R+ focused. This year us third parties are totally on our own.

Check out the top sellers list, it's mostly RS releases that aren't even on sale. Those four spots should be changing throughout the day with various third party products but it's been almost static.

It's still early on but it's not looking great!
That is certainly disheartening to hear. And as a HUGE fan of RE over VST and Reason over other DAWs, it pisses me off to hear it. :(
You strike me as a dev (judging from posts I read from you) who keeps a close eye on your sales throughout the month, not just looking at your paycheck at the end of the month. So your numbers for this BF are down over this time previous years? If so, again, disheartening. I don't get it. It's like they are doing everything in their power to kill the wonderful RE platform they created (everything short of discontinuing it). Seems like the removal of the shop page was some major foreshadowing; as one well-respected and beloved dev said, "it's the final nail in the coffin (for 3rd party REs). Sad.

nickb523
RE Developer

23 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
23 Nov 2021

That is certainly disheartening to hear. And as a HUGE fan of RE over VST and Reason over other DAWs, it pisses me off to hear it. :(
You strike me as a dev (judging from posts I read from you) who keeps a close eye on your sales throughout the month, not just looking at your paycheck at the end of the month. So your numbers for this BF are down over this time previous years? If so, again, disheartening. I don't get it. It's like they are doing everything in their power to kill the wonderful RE platform they created (everything short of discontinuing it). Seems like the removal of the shop page was some major foreshadowing; as one well-respected and beloved dev said, "it's the final nail in the coffin (for 3rd party REs). Sad.
I watch sales all the time, especially since the changes back in February.

Numbers at the moment are tough to gauge as it's only just got started but so far it isn't great. That top sellers list is very telling as who the hell is buying Algoritm, Auto-Tune and Friktion at full price at this point in time? - As I said, considering there is a major sale underway that list should be ever changing with third party stuff.

People should get paid this Thursday and we've still got the Xmas sale to go so I'll be keeping an eye on it.

BumCuddle

23 Nov 2021

Maybe RS are trolling and they will have a massive BF sale actually on friday though it may be wishful thinking on my part?

nickb523
RE Developer

23 Nov 2021

BumCuddle wrote:
23 Nov 2021
Maybe RS are trolling and they will have a massive BF sale actually on friday though it may be wishful thinking on my part?
Unless there is a major change of heart I doubt that will happen.

However on a hopeful note, it's not out of the question that they will do a more shop focused sale at Xmas. (hint hint RS!)

Billy+

23 Nov 2021

Well during the whole rewards thing it read like everyone was spending everything on Reason Studios rack extensions as you could basically get them for free, so maybe RS are keeping them all in the rewards section to encourage people to earn rewards for the discount.

I already had everything RS has in the rewards section and my points are falling away as we speak which is crap as there is nothing to actually use them on, it was always the problem with the rewards system and now the timer has been fixed it's actually pointless to even consider "earning" them I would rather buy vst's from PiB knowing that the rewards last until I use them and can also be used on discounted prices.

The last year with RS has been one big disappointment after another why should it change anytime soon.

entropi

23 Nov 2021

ravasb wrote:
23 Nov 2021
I don't feel good about sinking more money into Reason.
- - -
I still like Reason a lot and will keep using it, but it is hard to love a company that clearly does not love me back.
excatly, it has been a very rocky year for reason users and I'm evaluating the alternatives for the future after my M1 transition...
(I might skip one of my three daws, this year has just left me feeling very unmotivated to keep using my - once - most used daw. I just feel sad about it now.)

challism

23 Nov 2021

entropi wrote:
23 Nov 2021
it has been a very rocky year for reason users a
A "ROCKY" year for Reason users.... made me think of this segment....

nickb523 wrote:
23 Nov 2021
Numbers at the moment are tough to gauge as it's only just got started but so far it isn't great. That top sellers list is very telling as who the hell is buying Algoritm, Auto-Tune and Friktion at full price at this point in time? - As I said, considering there is a major sale underway that list should be ever changing with third party stuff.

People should get paid this Thursday and we've still got the Xmas sale to go so I'll be keeping an eye on it.
Maybe.... just maybe.... it has to do with expiring reward points and purchases made from the rewards shop?

Forgive my moment of glimmering hope.

ravasb

23 Nov 2021

I hope the Reason people notice that even the mods of this forum, whose dedication I truly appreciate, are a bit concerned about where the company is going.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2021

ravasb wrote:
23 Nov 2021
I hope the Reason people notice that even the mods of this forum, whose dedication I truly appreciate, are a bit concerned about where the company is going.
Yeah their current ways are definitely worrying. I've NEVER felt this way about them before, but I've started to become somewhat resentful toward Reason Studios. I just have a hard time getting over the fact that they decided to sell their unfinished Reason 12 version, without being clear about the state that it was in. I find that to be a very questionable business practise. I mean you can't advertise (and sell) something like it's a finished working product and then have a plan to finish it in 4-5 months. Roadmap or not, you just don't do that. That made me lose a lot of trust in them.

Add to that the R+ subscription model constantly being shoved down our throats. In the past I've always been in the "If you don't like it just don't buy it" category. Never really seen myself on the "doom and gloom" side. But they're really going out of their way to make normal upgrade licenses and RE purchases seem like a bad option compared to the sub option. For me it's like the more they try to push this R+ crap, the less likely I am to get onboard. Looking at their actions it's not exactly subtle where they want things to go. The more they push the subscription, the more resistant I get.

So yeah they're really pushing me away with some of their current business decisions.
For the first time I've had thoughts of "Maybe this is the last Reason version I'll get (R11 Suite)". And I've actually started to accept that that might be the case. And I would be ok with that. I have lots of stuff to play with and make music with already. But I somehow doubt that's what RS are aiming for.

To be fair I do think RS release some really good and fun devices. A lot of their stuff is great, it's just that some of their business decisions are terrible. They're scaring me away.
Thank god we have awesome RE developers that make up for a lot of this.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2021

I felt reassured and happy when the Road Plan and the new age of “Transparency” was revealed. Really I did. See how that panned out. Now I just can’t be bothered and that’s a shame.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Arrant
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2021

Bought nothing but VSTs this black week, feels safer as they are portable and more future-proof.
I like the RE market and have a ton of REs, but I don''t like the way the Reason ecosystem is going and I still can't use the R12 upgrade that I bought several months ago.

Zac

24 Nov 2021

For me the pricing of REs just doesn't add up. I have a new perspective after investing in some hardware synths.

I totally realise that RE devs have to pay a high proportion to RS which is a shame because if they were 30% cheaper that would alter my perspective.

Spending £50-60 on an RE isn't going to happen when I can bundle 2 or 3 of those and get a nice piece of hardware.

As soon as I can get an M1 Macbook Air 2nd hand I will get Logic Pro and use the RRP and forget about Reason. The last few months have told me all I need to know about the future of Reason. It's a shame but it's time to accept reality for me.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2021

Zac wrote:
24 Nov 2021
For me the pricing of REs just doesn't add up. I have a new perspective after investing in some hardware synths.

I totally realise that RE devs have to pay a high proportion to RS which is a shame because if they were 30% cheaper that would alter my perspective.

Spending £50-60 on an RE isn't going to happen when I can bundle 2 or 3 of those and get a nice piece of hardware.

As soon as I can get an M1 Macbook Air 2nd hand I will get Logic Pro and use the RRP and forget about Reason. The last few months have told me all I need to know about the future of Reason. It's a shame but it's time to accept reality for me.
I’ve just realised that too the last few weeks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Kuranes2021

24 Nov 2021

It really hurts to see so many veteran Reason users lose their faith in the company. I have to admit, this is the first time since I originally bought Reason 4, that I didn't upgrade (from Reason 11 Suite), mostly because I would need a new graphic card to make R12 run on my PC, and I can't afford a new right now.

Considering the letdown that R12 seems to have been for many users, I guess I'm lucky that I didn't buy the upgrade. Budt that saddens me, because I really would have liked to support the company that created the software that provides me fullfilling since I first used Reason 2.0 in the end of 2002.

And how much money I invested in not just upgrades, but - like many of you - in countless REs. Once I calculated the amount of money I must have paid. I reached a number of about 6.000 Euros. That was about two years ago before I bought Friction, Algoritm, Pattern mutator and more REs at the day they were released.

Considering this, I guess there's no doubt I really supported Reason Studios.

But the recent developments make me feel bitter.

I really wonder, if Reason Studios makes enough money with Reason + to justify the way they deal with their established community (and 3rd party devs who did their not so small part to keep Reason in the game)

Jaybignoise

24 Nov 2021

Zac wrote:
24 Nov 2021
Hello,

I unfortunately have this same type of reasoning since their insistence on putting Reason+ forward at all costs. I'm waiting to see how the DAW market evolves to maybe migrate to another system and "relegate" Reason 11 Suite to one great VST... I keep an eye on Behringer and their free DAW project. Maybe the future good deal.

What bothers me is that the owners of 11 Suite are ignored. A preferential rate for Reason+ has never been offered to users of 11 Suite in proportion of the REs available in their license... You should know that Suite 11 includes 85% of the REs available in Reason+. All that's missing is Algoritm, Friktion, and the highly questionable Pattern Mutator. At 20 or even 10 € per month who subscribes to Reason+ from the 11 Suite license for only 3 RE ? You might as well directly buy the missing REs. The sound packages aren't overwhelming, just if they are creative accelerators that take the hassle out of sound design. Dispensable in the end. And Reason 12 is incomplete and unstable depending on the configuration.

You are probably killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. A large majority of users do not buy into it, do not want Reason+ as the centerpiece of their music system. We want a solid system, well anchored on its supports and reassuring. Reason+ and R12 are none of these.
:reason: My path that led me here : Reason 2.5, Reason 5, Reason 11 Suite, Reason 12 :refill: Too huge to list here

Hoboys

24 Nov 2021

Zac wrote:
24 Nov 2021

Depends on what you're doing, doesn't it? If you're a drummer then having the need to constantly save up for hardware goes without saying. But if we're talking strictly hardware for most cases, the 200 isn't going to get you far, because that's base level instruments or utilities. Next step is something like 700-1.5k, and then the next is like 7k-15k. Not necessarily in all domains, but I hope you get the drift. REs and Vsts, on the other hand, can get you very far for the buck. A hardware synth sounds nice and lush, but you have the full calculating power of a modern pc in a soft synth. And boy oh boy what a tradeoff in time it is to tweak a few knobs on a screen and be done with it vs fondling an actual rack of hardware.

Maybe I'm a bit biased. I did buy a bunch of REs .

Zac

24 Nov 2021

Hoboys wrote:
24 Nov 2021
Zac wrote:
24 Nov 2021

Depends on what you're doing, doesn't it? If you're a drummer then having the need to constantly save up for hardware goes without saying. But if we're talking strictly hardware for most cases, the 200 isn't going to get you far, because that's base level instruments or utilities. Next step is something like 700-1.5k, and then the next is like 7k-15k. Not necessarily in all domains, but I hope you get the drift. REs and Vsts, on the other hand, can get you very far for the buck. A hardware synth sounds nice and lush, but you have the full calculating power of a modern pc in a soft synth. And boy oh boy what a tradeoff in time it is to tweak a few knobs on a screen and be done with it vs fondling an actual rack of hardware.

Maybe I'm a bit biased. I did buy a bunch of REs .
I hear you. I've invested thousands in REs. I'm glad to have them but an RE has to offer something new and special for me to consider it these days. I'm very fortunate that I can now have a hybrid set up and get the best of both worlds depending on my mood.

Also because I buy 2nd hand if I get bored of a synth I can off sell it for usually a small loss and get another. REs have no resale value.

kitekrazy

24 Nov 2021

Arrant wrote:
24 Nov 2021
Bought nothing but VSTs this black week, feels safer as they are portable and more future-proof.
I like the RE market and have a ton of REs, but I don''t like the way the Reason ecosystem is going and I still can't use the R12 upgrade that I bought several months ago.
Having a lot of VSTs and REs is overwhelming for me. Some probably can't imagine people cranked out great stuff using only Reason 4. I envy a mature user of any DAW that spends less time buying tools and using the ones they have.

• Information