Transporting PC tower ...

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
avasopht
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2021

So ... I'm considering bringing my tower to the studio. And while I've done this trip many times with a desktop, I just want to get a second opinion.

My dad has his PCs in rack and desktop-form encased in a traditional DJ crate.

My tower is a vanilla Dell case, so I'm just wondering whether a crate is overkill to reduce shock during 2x 1hr journeys on London roads (which means bumps in roads and maybe 1-2km of speed humps).

Alternatively, I do have the option of my laptop (I'll see how my latest tracks run on it).
Last edited by avasopht on 21 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

jam-s

21 Nov 2021

To be extra careful you could remove any classical hard disk drives and put those in some extra protective foam/packaging. For the rest of the PC wrapping it in a few blankets should be more than enough.

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2021

jam-s wrote:
21 Nov 2021
To be extra careful you could remove any classical hard disk drives and put those in some extra protective foam/packaging. For the rest of the PC wrapping it in a few blankets should be more than enough.
Cool. Well, it has an SSD ... I'm more worried about everything attached to the motherboard (except for the SSD as that's probably the most secure).

If anything it's the GPU I'm most concerned about. I just keep imagining the bumps making something get loose 😨

jam-s

21 Nov 2021

Depending on the mass and means of how it is attached to case of the PC removing the GPU could also be a good idea to reduce mechanical stress on the GPU and/or motherboard.
Also after arrival you should check if all cables and connectors are still properly seated and reseat anything which might have gotten loose due to some shake-ups.

moalla

23 Nov 2021

For mobile scenarios i have build a small Desktop Mini ITX Box of 23x26x14cm, wich I carry sometimes on my seat bicycle rack of my hardtail dozen of kilometres to a friend, on top of my Recording suitcase fixend with a lashing strap and it works fine. The only thing is be carefull with the cpu cooler :lol: normal hdds are still in my backpack

Caution is the mother of the porcelain box, not for me
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

• Information