Pultec EQ emulations.... which one do you prefer?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

22 Nov 2021

I checked the forum and didn't see the specific topic addressed by an OP. We also have some new contenders in the running.... so, let's do this...

Which REs emulate the 1950s Pultec EQ... *EDIT* and which ones do the best job of it?

*EDIT*
Obviously most/none of us have access to a Pultec to compare. My intended desire for this thread was to compare the differences between the REs.... which ones do users prefer and why?

Red Rock Sound
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... equalizer/
Kuassa
Blamsoft
Softube
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... c-channel/
1.jpg
1.jpg (217.53 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (193.43 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Billy+

22 Nov 2021

Do you have a method for uniform testing and any comparison with the original hardware?

tanni

22 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
22 Nov 2021
I checked the forum and didn't see the specific topic addressed by an OP. We also have some new contenders in the running.... so, let's do this...

Which REs emulate the 1950s Pultec EQ... and which ones do the best job of it?

Kuassa, Blamsoft, Red Rock Sound, Softube... who else?
I had tested the softube, Blamsoft and Kuassa.
I have bought the Blamsoft on a sale and I'm happy with it. Enough Pultec EQ for me. The softube are the best and maybe the only real Hardware clone or emulation, but the price is a no go. Thats not worth in my eyes and for what I do with it.

challism

22 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
22 Nov 2021
Do you have a method for uniform testing and any comparison with the original hardware?
No. Do you?

This is mostly intended to gather people's opinions.

Billy+

22 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
22 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
22 Nov 2021
No. Do you?

No. I don't, that's why I asked...

MarkTarlton

22 Nov 2021

There is also Waves Puigtec and UA Pultec, and quite a few more I'm blanking on right now. For me the UA is my go to. They tend to model the analgog components better than most versions, and you definitely pay a price for it. They actually have all the original gear to model it from, and experienced designers/testers, including working pro engineers who help.

challism

22 Nov 2021

MarkTarlton wrote:
22 Nov 2021
There is also Waves Puigtec and UA Pultec, and quite a few more I'm blanking on right now. For me the UA is my go to. They tend to model the analgog components better than most versions, and you definitely pay a price for it. They actually have all the original gear to model it from, and experienced designers/testers, including working pro engineers who help.
But not available REs, right?

MarkTarlton

22 Nov 2021

No RE, just VST option for Reason

Billy+

22 Nov 2021

I guess that you could use a stock rex loop from drum supply (full beat) with the correct BPM and the same settings on the EQ across the board with each RE version for a reasonable comparison then all we need is someone who has access to the hardware while accepting that the hardware is obviously going to be better.

selig
RE Developer

22 Nov 2021

I've not compared to an original, and not all Pultecs are the same depending on age etc. But I've compared the frequency response a good number of plugins, all falling within a few dB of each other IIRC.
So that would leave "color" as the primary difference, since I'm not sure how deep any of the plugins I tested go in modeling the exact distortion characteristics, and I didn't have any baseline for distortion.
Selig Audio, LLC

dvdrtldg

22 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
22 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
22 Nov 2021
No. Do you?

Given that nobody on this forum is likely to have access to the original hardware, their "opinions" on how well any RE emulates a 1950s Pultec EQ are going to be worthless

challism

22 Nov 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
22 Nov 2021
challism wrote:
22 Nov 2021

No. Do you?

Given that nobody on this forum is likely to have access to the original hardware, their "opinions" on how well any RE emulates a 1950s Pultec EQ are going to be worthless
Opinions COMPARING the different RE emulations..... that was the intended purpose of my thread. Comparing the REs, which ones do the users prefer and why. That was the idea. I don't think I explained it very well in my post (I did a pretty bad job, actually). I have reworded the OP. Obviously people are unlikely to have access to a Pultec, so I thought it was apparent what I meant... compare the REs to each other... which is your favorite?

Billy+

22 Nov 2021

Well I brought the Kuassa EVE-MP5 eq at the time there was nothing else in RE, haven't tried any of the others as I didn't see the point in buying them as I figured what I got was fine.

challism

22 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
22 Nov 2021
Well I brought the Kuassa EVE-MP5 eq at the time there was nothing else in RE, haven't tried any of the others as I didn't see the point in buying them as I figured what I got was fine.
This is exactly what I had in mind with this thread. OK, thank you Bill. Sorry I was so bad at originally explaining my intention.
I would feel the same way, if I had already bought one. I don't yet have one of these "Pultec" EQs, and I see they are all on sale right now (BF)... which is kind of why I'm trying to get users' opinions on the matter.

BTW, right now, the Kuassa EVEMP5 is the cheapest I've ever seen it at $19.

Yeah, the Softube and Kuassa were the first two that appeared in the shop. And I recall a lot of discussion about them back then. Since that time, we have had some new contenders released, so I just wanted to continue the dialogue and include the "new" REs.

Billy+

22 Nov 2021

I stayed away from the softube stuff as they have never fixed any of the problems with the re's that got released

jam-s

22 Nov 2021

Well, all of those are EQ with very similar curves, so in essence it does not matter much if there are some minor differences, which cannot be heard in a full mix anyhow. So imho just use the one you like.

dvdrtldg

22 Nov 2021

I love Kuassa EVE MP5, it's fast and easy and sounds fantastic. I sometimes think I could get by just with that and the RE-2A compressor, they're a perfect combo

I remember trialling the Softube Tube-Tech and liking it, but $449? hahahahaha fuck off

Haven't tried the Blamsoft or Red Rock Sound equivalents, can't see any point coz EVE MP5 rings my bell very nicely

In the VST world I like Waves PuigTec
Last edited by dvdrtldg on 22 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

moalla

22 Nov 2021

The Kuassa MP-5 works well for me, but i ´m using more Kuassa AT-1 , someone in the forum wrote that the new blamsoft Eq´s are still have a more advanced algorithm, but the sound is differen. But yeah kuassa´s MP5 is still one of the digital standard plugs i would say, also AT-1 in conclusion to. So it´s time for a comparisson of Blamsoft EQ´s vs. Kuassas and Red Rock :cool:

Analog Obsession free Rare is also for lower dynamical stuff nice, i own SieQ by Soundtoys wich is fantastic on guitar.
You have to check the free stuff of varietyofsound.word.... ;) but it´s not a replacement for a RE like MP5.
At all there are some much more expensiver VSt stuff wich iss a little bit clearer or more realistic but the gain of sound for the money isn´t worth it.
For example, now i also found a really good alternative for abbey road chamber without waves updated sch..ss from bleass (vst3 grrr :-x ) and bundled with some especial freeware in the Comb2 there will be fantastic options to discover new sound dimensions.
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

challism

22 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
22 Nov 2021
I stayed away from the softube stuff as they have never fixed any of the problems with the re's that got released
I'm not a Softube fan. I think their stuff is WAY overpriced... especially in Reason. The way they increased the price for their Tubetech RE, for example, what a joke. Did they double the price from the original? Something like that. And if they aren't fixing known issues, absolutely don't buy their stuff. Agreed. Same goes for my thoughts on any McDSP REs (known issues, they won't bother to fix).
dvdrtldg wrote:
22 Nov 2021

I remember trialling the Softube Tube-Tech and liking it, but $449? hahahahaha fuck off
Very well said! ha ha
jam-s wrote:
22 Nov 2021
Well, all of those are EQ with very similar curves, so in essence it does not matter much if there are some minor differences, which cannot be heard in a full mix anyhow. So imho just use the one you like.
For me and my wallet, that would be the cheapest one on offer! ha ha
So basically, which color do I like best... black, blue or white?

dvdrtldg

22 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
22 Nov 2021
I'm not a Softube fan. I think their stuff is WAY overpriced... especially in Reason.
True, but since we're talking EQs, their Trident A-Range RE is fantastic and it goes on sale every now & then. Big fan of that one

challism

22 Nov 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
22 Nov 2021
challism wrote:
22 Nov 2021
I'm not a Softube fan. I think their stuff is WAY overpriced... especially in Reason.
True, but since we're talking EQs, their Trident A-Range RE is fantastic and it goes on sale every now & then. Big fan of that one
I read somewhere on RT that Red Rock Sound has an emulation of that one too, don't they? And which one is it?

boosto23

22 Nov 2021

I have the Red Rock and Blamsoft. Also have UA and IK VSTs. As far as curves go, see Selig's post, as the curves are going to vary somewhat based on which units they are referencing for their model. With regards to saturation/color a certain emulation imparts, that doesn't really attract me as it used to. Out of convenience, I reach for the Blamsoft RE most of the time. For subtle saturation, I reach for a variety of options (RE's: Blamsoft's pultec, Softube's Trident, Red Rock's EQ-A; VST's: FrontDAW, Klanghelm SDDR, IK Saturator X & Tape Machines).

dvdrtldg

22 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
22 Nov 2021
dvdrtldg wrote:
22 Nov 2021

I read somewhere on RT that Red Rock Sound has an emulation of that one too, don't they? And which one is it?
It's this one - haven't tried it https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... r-model-a/

Neo

22 Nov 2021

Good question.

From the YouTube comments:
I tested the Softube Tube-Tech eqs, Noise Ash Rule-Tec and Waves PuigTec using Plugin Doctor.

Softube Tube-Tech has smoothest curves but is tiny is bit "weaker" in bass region (maximum bass boost is around +15dB where the other one have around +17dB max) as well as 1dB quieter overall the other one add 1-2dB boost of volume without touching the eq (you can disable that in Rule-Tec with little V-Bump switch), if you want pretty much same amount of bass from Tube-Tech you have to push it to 6.5 whereas Rule-tec and Puigtec are at 5 so bit of difference there which is also heard in the video.

Rule-tec and PuigTec have suprisingly close eq curves! (Because they emulate the same hardware? :) )
The main differences are Rule-Tec has odd harmonic distortion and less distortion than Puigtec and less aliasing than Puigtec.
PuigTec EQP1A has mainly even harmonics and more harmonic distortion and also more aliasing...

If they added anti-aliasing filter to PuigTec, or rather internal oversampling, it would actually be pretty damn good unit, now bear in mind Softube Tube-Tech has near Zero aliasing and therefore sound bit smoother in the top end!

Tube-Tech eqs have also mainly odd harmonics, but I use the whole Tube-Tech channel which includes also the CL1B compressor, and this compressor is really smooth and adds more even harmonics so that I'm getting fuller, richer sound...

Have a nice day!
I have the Kuassa REs myself.

Speaking of, do Softube REs ever go on sale!? As much as id prefer to buy a RE, I might just go pick up some VSTs now the sale has started.
(Black Week: take an extra 10% off* with code BLACKWEEKEXTRA)
https://www.softube.com
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

rorystorm

23 Nov 2021

Have the red rock res and the blamsoft res. Imo the blamsoft devices sound a little better BUT are very cpu heavy on my machine. Also the controls can't be automated or assigned to a combinator knob. So red rock for me.

Edit: that kuassa deal is damn cheap so I might pick it up as well....

• Information