SM58s question. Sound through when turned to off.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2021

I've got my SM58s plugged into Balance and then into Reason. When I have the mic switched to ON I record as normal (got the input turned up so the blips are in the yellow but not in the red. When I switch the mic to OFF however and speak into it I'm still getting signal through...maybe 4 green blips. If I then normalize the recording I made with the mic switched off I can see that there is indeed sound getting through. Is that normal behaviour for these types of mic? Thanks.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

miyaru

22 Nov 2021

Seems to me when it is switched off, no sound should come thru. I have no mics with a switch, in fact only one dynamic mic (a SM57), so I cannot test it for you.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2021

miyaru wrote: ↑
22 Nov 2021
Seems to me when it is switched off, no sound should come thru. I have no mics with a switch, in fact only one dynamic mic (a SM57), so I cannot test it for you.
I just spoke to Shure in the UK and they told me the switch should cut the sound dead.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

miyaru

22 Nov 2021

That is what I thought!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

joeyluck

22 Nov 2021

Couple questions: is the switch lock all the way down? This is the piece of plastic below the switch with a screw, used when you want to lock it in the on position so people can't turn it off. Maybe it's not switching completely off because the lock isn't all the way down? And do you happen to have phantom power on?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2021

joeyluck wrote: ↑
22 Nov 2021
Couple questions: is the switch lock all the way down? This is the piece of plastic below the switch with a screw, used when you want to lock it in the on position so people can't turn it off. Maybe it's not switching completely off because the lock isn't all the way down? And do you happen to have phantom power on?
Thanks Joey. No...I checked the lock. No problem there. Also checked phantom power was off. As I said, Shure told me that the switch should cut the mic dead and that it sounded like a fault. The switch didn't feel particularly stable either. Anyway, it's on its way back to Germany. What was it you were saying about a Shure SM Beta was it? I've been reading that even though SM58s are great mics, bullet proof, that they're starting to get a bit dated. My main use will be at home for plugging into my looper and most likely for using occasionally to sing into Reason. For that scenario what would you personally recommend?
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

joeyluck

22 Nov 2021

MrFigg wrote: ↑
22 Nov 2021
22 Nov 2021
Thanks Joey. No...I checked the lock. No problem there. Also checked phantom power was off. As I said, Shure told me that the switch should cut the mic dead and that it sounded like a fault. The switch didn't feel particularly stable either. Anyway, it's on its way back to Germany. What was it you were saying about a Shure SM Beta was it? I've been reading that even though SM58s are great mics, bullet proof, that they're starting to get a bit dated. My main use will be at home for plugging into my looper and most likely for using occasionally to sing into Reason. For that scenario what would you personally recommend?
I use the Beta 57A on EVERYTHING including vocals for singing and VO.

DaveyG

22 Nov 2021

22 Nov 2021

I can't believe you've managed to break the most unbreakable mic in the world. Good effort! :clap: :clap: :clap:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2021

22 Nov 2021
22 Nov 2021

I just took a listen to a sound comparison of the SM57,58 and the Beta 56,57,58 on vocals and a variety of instruments. Although I liked the Beta 57 more than the 58 and the other Betas I thought the SM57 sounded brighter. For the most part all the others sounded that they could be a bit boomy. What is it that you like better about the beta 57 in comparison to the SM57?
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2021

DaveyG wrote: ↑
22 Nov 2021
22 Nov 2021

I can't believe you've managed to break the most unbreakable mic in the world. Good effort! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hahahaha...have you ever tried to break a Lego brick?
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

joeyluck

22 Nov 2021

22 Nov 2021
22 Nov 2021

I just took a listen to a sound comparison of the SM57,58 and the Beta 56,57,58 on vocals and a variety of instruments. Although I liked the Beta 57 more than the 58 and the other Betas I thought the SM57 sounded brighter. For the most part all the others sounded that they could be a bit boomy. What is it that you like better about the beta 57 in comparison to the SM57?
I prefer the frequency response and its full sound. It has a supercardioid pickup pattern so it rejects more noise for recordings and more rejection of feedback in live situations. I also prefer the grill and the magnetic windscreen you can buy for it.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2021

22 Nov 2021
22 Nov 2021

I prefer the frequency response and its full sound. It has a supercardioid pickup pattern so it rejects more noise for recordings and more rejection of feedback in live situations. I also prefer the grill and the magnetic windscreen you can buy for it.
Right Joe. That’s it decided then. Beta57 a in the cart. Thanks :)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

joeyluck

22 Nov 2021

22 Nov 2021
22 Nov 2021

Awesome! 🀘 Hope you enjoy it!

Hoboys

22 Nov 2021

I have a 58s and can confirm the switch cuts the sound clean off.

Edit: ops sorry just saw other responses

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2021

Hoboys wrote: ↑
22 Nov 2021
I have a 58s and can confirm the switch cuts the sound clean off.

Edit: ops sorry just saw other responses
:)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Nov 2021

22 Nov 2021
22 Nov 2021

Awesome! 🀘 Hope you enjoy it!
Started a new thread.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

• Information