Is Audiomatic Tape setting a good emulation?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Creativemind

05 Oct 2021

Loque wrote:
04 Oct 2021
Creativemind wrote:
04 Oct 2021

What d'you mean by Decimate on Scream 4 or were you referring to another Re/VST?
I meant Digital, sorry.
That did cross my mind. :lol:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

WarStar

05 Oct 2021

It's only OK from my point of view ..

One kinda cool thing I discovered and it's only for hiss and artifacts, but the free DIRT RE and free Valve RE can get some really cool tape ambience... Basically put DIRT first then put the Valve RE after the dirt and use the Corrugated Pipe preset on the Valve and blend to taste. It's gives you a nice wide and subtle tape sound. No saturation really just tape noise

I really like the BCase Double Tracker for tape stuff... Not so much saturation persey but nice tape tracking sound and ambience. I got Peff CRAPE RE and it's just way too noisy and if you don't mute it when you don't want the noise it's pumps out a lot of unwanted noise.. seems for a tape effect it definitely falls short..

challism

05 Oct 2021

WarStar wrote:
05 Oct 2021

One kinda cool thing I discovered and it's only for hiss and artifacts, but the free DIRT RE and free Valve RE can get some really cool tape ambience... Basically put DIRT first then put the Valve RE after the dirt and use the Corrugated Pipe preset on the Valve and blend to taste. It's gives you a nice wide and subtle tape sound. No saturation really just tape noise

I really like the BCase Double Tracker for tape stuff... Not so much saturation persey but nice tape tracking sound and ambience. I got Peff CRAPE RE and it's just way too noisy and if you don't mute it when you don't want the noise it's pumps out a lot of unwanted noise.. seems for a tape effect it definitely falls short..
I love BCase Double Tracker. The saturation sounds great to me.

What is this free RE you are talking about, Valve? I have no idea what that is. Doesn't seem to be in the shop. Are you sure that's the name of it?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

16161d

05 Oct 2021

challism wrote:
05 Oct 2021
What is this free RE you are talking about, Valve? I have no idea what that is. Doesn't seem to be in the shop. Are you sure that's the name of it?
They must mean Pipeline Pressure Control by turn2on.

dvdrtldg

05 Oct 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
04 Oct 2021
I need some warmth saturation to improve strings and other orchestral sampled instruments, so nothing that "destroy" or alter the nature of the core sound, just tape saturation warmth.... Like U-HE Satin or Abbey Road Saturator

What do yo recommend for that in RE format ?

Thanks !
Funny you should mention Satin and Abbey Rd Saturator, because they're my two go-to analogue saturation plugins. Satin for a proper emulation of an actual tape machine with lots of tweakability and a 24 carat gold sound, Abbey Rd for something a little more aggressive. There's really nothing in the RE world that comes close to these imo (although I wish there was - u-He were talking about a Satin RE at one point, but it never happened)

JorgeM

06 Oct 2021

I think the examples for TAPEFUNK M10 (https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -recorder/) sound great, but it's pretty expensive.

WarStar

06 Oct 2021

challism wrote:
05 Oct 2021
WarStar wrote:
05 Oct 2021

I love BCase Double Tracker. The saturation sounds great to me.

My bad.. it's that Pipeline RE

huggermugger

06 Oct 2021

Tape effect on UMPF Retro. Includes hiss and hum (yum!)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 8.22.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 8.22.01 AM.png (701.6 KiB) Viewed 1082 times

selig
RE Developer

06 Oct 2021

In answer to the general question, "Is ART Tape a good emulation?"
It depends on if you're well familiar with tape formats/machines and need an accurate emulation of a specific tape on a specific machine, or if you just want a cool effect. The ART Tape preset is actually a little of both, but more a "cool effect" than trying to be a good all around tape emulation.

FWIW, I used a model of an Ampex machine as the basic guide for creating the head bump and general frequency response characteristics of "tape". I submitted three Tape presets, each for a different machine, and they chose the Ampex version. Worth noting, the ART big knob controls tape speed, with 15 IPS on the left and 30 IPS on the right. What's cool is you can morph between the different speeds, which moves the head bump around allowing you to fine tune the low end response to the drums/bass used in your song. That's the biggest feature of that particular emulation IMO, since it produces the most obvious changes - the advantage being the ability to "tune" the head bump unlike other emulations I'm aware of. So the way I use the Tape setting is more about setting it to enhance the low end rather than the high end or saturation effects (which are still present but less "obvious" IMO). :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Ottostrom

06 Oct 2021

huggermugger wrote:
06 Oct 2021
If I had this device I would definitely make a dedicated combinator for the tape section :)

huggermugger

06 Oct 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
06 Oct 2021
huggermugger wrote:
06 Oct 2021
If I had this device I would definitely make a dedicated combinator for the tape section :)
It's available in the Rewards Shop in case that helps.

Ottostrom

06 Oct 2021

huggermugger wrote:
06 Oct 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
06 Oct 2021

It's available in the Rewards Shop in case that helps.
Yeah I did consider it but I think if I can get the remaining points I'm gonna go for Friktion cause that thing sounds great

StephenHutchinson

06 Oct 2021

Haha nice!
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

Steedus
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2021

Yeah very subjective. Some users will say the best sounding tape emulators are the ones that are so subtle I seriously struggle to hear, even in isolation. My taste definitely leans more towards the more obvious, dirtier sounding ones. But I'll say this, the more the merrier! Even for a subtle textural effect having different devices - and therefore different sonic characteristics - is the best option.

tronam

07 Oct 2021

selig wrote:
06 Oct 2021
In answer to the general question, "Is ART Tape a good emulation?"
It depends on if you're well familiar with tape formats/machines and need an accurate emulation of a specific tape on a specific machine, or if you just want a cool effect. The ART Tape preset is actually a little of both, but more a "cool effect" than trying to be a good all around tape emulation.

FWIW, I used a model of an Ampex machine as the basic guide for creating the head bump and general frequency response characteristics of "tape". I submitted three Tape presets, each for a different machine, and they chose the Ampex version. Worth noting, the ART big knob controls tape speed, with 15 IPS on the left and 30 IPS on the right. What's cool is you can morph between the different speeds, which moves the head bump around allowing you to fine tune the low end response to the drums/bass used in your song. That's the biggest feature of that particular emulation IMO, since it produces the most obvious changes - the advantage being the ability to "tune" the head bump unlike other emulations I'm aware of. So the way I use the Tape setting is more about setting it to enhance the low end rather than the high end or saturation effects (which are still present but less "obvious" IMO). :)
Thanks for sharing. I had no idea you participated in ART's development. Is the Tape preset primarily an EQ curve or does it include a saturation component as well? I'm curious to run it through an analyzer now.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

challism

07 Oct 2021

Steedus wrote:
06 Oct 2021
Yeah very subjective. Some users will say the best sounding tape emulators are the ones that are so subtle I seriously struggle to hear, even in isolation. My taste definitely leans more towards the more obvious, dirtier sounding ones. But I'll say this, the more the merrier! Even for a subtle textural effect having different devices - and therefore different sonic characteristics - is the best option.
I completely agree with this. As most of you probably do, too. And it's the reason why we have so many different tools in our racks that pretty much do the same job. How many filter REs do you have? How many distortion REs do you have? How many compressors? It's wonderful to be alive in a time when hardware emulations are so good, cheap and plentiful.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

moofi

22 Nov 2021

Yes, I just listened to the demo and found it particularly nice from what I heard so far, haven´t trialed yet though.

It being 50% off for Black Friday makes it a lot more interesting I find.
JorgeM wrote:
06 Oct 2021
I think the examples for TAPEFUNK M10 (https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -recorder/) sound great, but it's pretty expensive.

ekss
RE Developer

22 Nov 2021

moofi wrote:
22 Nov 2021
Yes, I just listened to the demo and found it particularly nice from what I heard so far, haven´t trialed yet though.

It being 50% off for Black Friday makes it a lot more interesting I find.
JorgeM wrote:
06 Oct 2021

It will be included in a special PTF & ES Black Friday bundle (all the Past to Future & Ekss collaboration REs for 70% off), you might want to wait for that!It will take a day or two for shop admin to have it published. ;)

Chi-Individual

22 Nov 2021

You can also get some really unique sounds dialed in using the FX sections of Scenic and Processed Pianos. Just set everything to taste and you're good to go. The lo-fi and shimmer reverb sections of Proc Pianos and the Saturation and Tone Shaper of Scenic are really good.

guitfnky

22 Nov 2021

selig wrote:
06 Oct 2021
Worth noting, the ART big knob controls tape speed, with 15 IPS on the left and 30 IPS on the right. What's cool is you can morph between the different speeds, which moves the head bump around allowing you to fine tune the low end response to the drums/bass used in your song. That's the biggest feature of that particular emulation IMO, since it produces the most obvious changes - the advantage being the ability to "tune" the head bump unlike other emulations I'm aware of. So the way I use the Tape setting is more about setting it to enhance the low end rather than the high end or saturation effects (which are still present but less "obvious" IMO). :)
this is cool—that’s similar to how I instinctively started using it. add ART, give it a little bit of extra input gain, then move the knob around until the track sits a little better in the mix than before. then dial up/down the gain to taste.

I really do look at ART like one of the instagram filters that I think inspired it.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information