You Suck at Mixing

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
BumCuddle

17 Nov 2021

Stumbled across this guy's channel a while ago thought others might find it interesting?
He is quite comedic but actually gives out solid advice :thumbup:

Tiny Montgomery

17 Nov 2021

BumCuddle wrote:
17 Nov 2021
Stumbled across this guy's channel a while ago thought others might find it interesting?
He is quite comedic but actually gives out solid advice :thumbup:

He is great and used to be a regular watch for me, very Ableton focused. His original tagline was 'You Suck At Producing'. He really has a great comedic sense and as well as solid production advice. Went through a phase of watching him regularly a couple of years back and even my partner picked up on his catchphrase 'wowsers' and started using it.

Chizmata

18 Nov 2021

first thing i do on these channels is listen to their own mixes and i cant say im convinced. he made this track:

on the positive side, it has a really loud and clear, differentiated sound. on the negative side, he is really overdoing the sidechain compression to the point where it makes the whole track sound choppy and stuttery. i wouldnt take this guys' advice blindly.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2021

Chizmata wrote:
18 Nov 2021
first thing i do on these channels is listen to their own mixes and i cant say im convinced. he made this track:

on the positive side, it has a really loud and clear, differentiated sound. on the negative side, he is really overdoing the sidechain compression to the point where it makes the whole track sound choppy and stuttery. i wouldnt take this guys' advice blindly.
Well, he starts by saying the mix can't do nothing for a shit song... :lol:

Chizmata

19 Nov 2021

mcatalao wrote:
19 Nov 2021
Chizmata wrote:
18 Nov 2021

Well, he starts by saying the mix can't do nothing for a shit song... :lol:
shots fired :D

mcatalao
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2021

Chizmata wrote:
19 Nov 2021

shots fired :D
I'm being snarky, I didn't hear it! :puf_bigsmile:

The guy has a good point about committing to audio. Something I've said more than once on this forum... So I guess a lot of what he is saying is worth it. Though you know what they say about teachers and doctors, do as I say, don't do as I do. The guy can know stuff in a theoretical basis and be shitty on the job. Again... I'm being snarky!

selig
RE Developer

19 Nov 2021

Chizmata wrote:
18 Nov 2021

That’s great advice, and the first thing I do too. It’s like seeing a book or post on “how to succeed in music” by someone you’ve never heard of! 😏
Selig Audio, LLC

marcuswitt

20 Nov 2021

selig wrote:
19 Nov 2021
Chizmata wrote:
18 Nov 2021

That’s great advice, and the first thing I do too. It’s like seeing a book or post on “how to succeed in music” by someone you’ve never heard of! 😏
In contrast to that, how about scientists you've never heard of before they won the Nobel Prize for something you've never heard of too?
Selig, I think your point isn't that stable here... although I think where you come from. Or maybe I totally misunderstood what you actually wanted to say. ;)

selig
RE Developer

20 Nov 2021

marcuswitt wrote:
20 Nov 2021
selig wrote:
19 Nov 2021

In contrast to that, how about scientists you've never heard of before they won the Nobel Prize for something you've never heard of too?
Selig, I think your point isn't that stable here... although I think where you come from. Or maybe I totally misunderstood what you actually wanted to say. ;)
Not sure I’m following your scientist point - I would take a far different approach when researching science than when looking for creative or business advice…if someone is telling me how to succeed at business that THEY have not succeeded at, then I look differently at the advice given. if someone is telling me how to mix and I don’t like their mixes, I would look differently at the advice given.
Also, I don’t follow the science world closely as I do the music world, so that’s possibly making a difference there as well.
If you tell me all the professional music you’ve worked on and yet I can find nothing about you in the usual places such as All Music or similar, then I will look at the advice given in a different way - trying to think of a similar example that would apply to a Nobel prize winner, or why I would be seeking their advice, but I can’t give a similar example with scientists because I don’t think there is one…
All to say, I agree with Chizmata…
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

20 Nov 2021

I think Marcus's point is a bit off here. Music and science have completely different dynamics and it is easier to know about a musician than it is to know about a scientist unless you go looking for them specifically.

On the other hand, there must be plenty of non popular yet very talented people out there making music things and we haven't heard of them yet and they could provide valuable advice as well. Anyway, in music, music does the talking and that's relatively easy to find. And going to the example of the book: iif your book is by somebody who isn't successful at whatever they are writing about but only successful because of the books they wrote... Well.. unless the book is about how to become a successful self help author 😂🤷‍♂️

• Information