Reason Studios updates their roadmap (November 17, 2021)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

drun robots

17 Nov 2021

So... in this post
https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/road ... ct-officer
Mr. Erikson says: "It’s worth mentioning that, for most users Reason 12 works perfectly, but for others it’s causing real issues."

I disagree with "most users"... You see, I have run all the updates since R6 in a Windows system... and never had a major crash, minor bugs yes, but this is the first time I have bought an upgrade but don't use it. From running it a couple of times... I just cannot trust it for producing serious stuff.
I believe I am the average user... Windows11, Focusrite USB interface, 32Gb of RAM, i7@3.8GHz... and I use it just for music. In Portuguese we say "at first all fall, second the one who want it, third only who want to fall"... Luckly R11 is still a beast and can handle what I have in hands to finish.
drunkrobots.bandcamp.com

avasopht
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2021

:thumbs_up:
Last edited by avasopht on 18 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

17 Nov 2021

Thanks for the heads up! I went ahead and split this into its own topic so that more people will see the update. I updated the other thread as well with its post date.

Billy+

17 Nov 2021

joeyluck wrote:
17 Nov 2021
Thanks for the heads up! I went ahead and split this into its own topic so that more people will see the update. I updated the other thread as well with its post date.
You might want to grab my last post and merge into the thread ;)

joeyluck

17 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
17 Nov 2021
joeyluck wrote:
17 Nov 2021
Not sure what you mean, but I added a note to the other thread directing to here. I also made this thread a sticky.

Billy+

17 Nov 2021

joeyluck wrote:
17 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
17 Nov 2021

Not sure what you mean, but I added a note to the other thread directing to here. I also made this thread a sticky.
I created a post with the details , but it's gone now.....don't worry about it someone else can redo it.....

Pepin

17 Nov 2021

Having read the blog post, I'm somewhat reassured to hear they're scrapping the "smart browser" for now. It always seemed like the least important of all the features on the roadmap.

I just hope the bug where the browser doesn't remember collapsed folders is fixed soon. That's actually been the most annoying issue in R12 for me, small as it might seem.

And as for whether R12 is "perfect" for most users, there are bugs in R12 that do affect everyone (such as aforementioned browser issue). So in that sense, it's not perfect. But I think we all know what was meant by that sentence, which is that the show-stopping performance bugs don't affect most users. And that's undoubtedly true.

joeyluck

17 Nov 2021

Pepin wrote:
17 Nov 2021
Having read the blog post, I'm somewhat reassured to hear they're scrapping the "smart browser" for now. It always seemed like the least important of all the features on the roadmap.

I just hope the bug where the browser doesn't remember collapsed folders is fixed soon. That's actually been the most annoying issue in R12 for me, small as it might seem.

And as for whether R12 is "perfect" for most users, there are bugs in R12 that do affect everyone (such as aforementioned browser issue). So in that sense, it's not perfect. But I think we all know what was meant by that sentence, which is that the show-stopping performance bugs don't affect most users. And that's undoubtedly true.
Well I'm still hopeful for tags! For example, the only reverbs revealed in a search for "reverb" are those plugins with "reverb" in the name :\

I want the search to help me find things and remind me what I have, not just locate things by name which I need to know beforehand.

And I hope when they fix the collapse feature, that they add the option/alt-click to expand/collapse all :-)

Heater

17 Nov 2021

Native M1 no later then May. Hugely disappointed customer here.

Pepin

17 Nov 2021

joeyluck wrote:
17 Nov 2021
Well I'm still hopeful for tags! For example, the only reverbs revealed in a search for "reverb" are those plugins with "reverb" in the name :\

I want the search to help me find things and remind me what I have, not just locate things by name which I need to know beforehand.
Agreed, tags would be super useful. I'd just rather have VST3 and M1 support if I had to choose :puf_smile:
I also realized recently that we can put devices into favorites lists, which helps a bit for categorizing. I guess that was added years ago, and I somehow missed it.

QVprod

17 Nov 2021

drun robots wrote:
17 Nov 2021
So... in this post
https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/road ... ct-officer
Mr. Erikson says: "It’s worth mentioning that, for most users Reason 12 works perfectly, but for others it’s causing real issues."

I disagree with "most users"... You see, I have run all the updates since R6 in a Windows system... and never had a major crash, minor bugs yes, but this is the first time I have bought an upgrade but don't use it. From running it a couple of times... I just cannot trust it for producing serious stuff.
I believe I am the average user... Windows11, Focusrite USB interface, 32Gb of RAM, i7@3.8GHz... and I use it just for music. In Portuguese we say "at first all fall, second the one who want it, third only who want to fall"... Luckly R11 is still a beast and can handle what I have in hands to finish.
I’m one of those users it works perfectly fine for and can confirm that I’ve seen people here with the same setup I have experiencing issues. Sadly, it’d be easier for them fix if it were an issue for most. But it looks like the fixing should be done by January according to this update.

WOO

17 Nov 2021

Regarding the road map. Can someone explain to me what "enabling tech" is and how it applies to software development and leads to all this innovation? Yes I read the wikipedia article and several others and none of it made any sense to me.

QVprod

17 Nov 2021

WOO wrote:
17 Nov 2021
Regarding the road map. Can someone explain to me what "enabling tech" is and how it applies to software development and leads to all this innovation? Yes I read the wikipedia article and several others and none of it made any sense to me.
Probably the most layman’s terms definition you can get.
An enabling technology is defined as “Equipment and/or methodology that, alone or in combination with associated technologies, provides the means to generate giant leaps in performance and capabilities of the user.” [Business Dictionary]
It just means they’re developing a new way of working that may speed things up in the near future.

DJMaytag

17 Nov 2021

New bassline generator: please be a port of Rebirth’s 303 engine, without any of the copyright/trademark issues that Rebirth might have had.

Stamatz

17 Nov 2021

For all those people asking for Reasons reply/comment/update, here it is. I like the CPO's transparency/honesty and think the communication and sharing is fantastic.

Don't like the timeline but ahh I don't like a lot of things...lol Seriously I can live with that.

As I said the update and transparancy is great and hope they continue to provide once a month.

One thing I'm confused about is when is the next update coming? Days or weeks away?

I'm fine either way just confused as I think I read it would be days away but the CPO is making it sound like weeks away?

It's late, tired eyes I may not be reading or remembering right, again fine either way just curious/confused...lol
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

WOO

17 Nov 2021

QVprod wrote:
17 Nov 2021
WOO wrote:
17 Nov 2021
Probably the most layman’s terms definition you can get.
An enabling technology is defined as “Equipment and/or methodology that, alone or in combination with associated technologies, provides the means to generate giant leaps in performance and capabilities of the user.” [Business Dictionary]
It just means they’re developing a new way of working that may speed things up in the near future.
Or create more confusion and chaos.

guitfnky

17 Nov 2021

glad to know they’re still working on more devices. the seven thousand devices we’ve already got in Reason just aren’t enough!
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

DaveyG

17 Nov 2021

Anyone else wondering what happened to the previous Chief Product Officer?

jaeproduced

17 Nov 2021

DaveyG wrote:
17 Nov 2021

Yeah I thought product manager was Mattias job? :?

whitewolfmusic

17 Nov 2021

I love the honest and detailed communication in this blog post. Personally, I am more forgiving and patient, as long as I know what's going on. I understand that some undertakings need more time than anticipated and I'm always for quality releases than frequency. That is not a free ticket to become slow and lazy, though. ;)

QVprod

18 Nov 2021

jaeproduced wrote:
17 Nov 2021
DaveyG wrote:
17 Nov 2021

Yeah I thought product manager was Mattias job? :?
I believe his current title is Product Manger of Music Making or something like that. Formally just Product Manager. CPO would be a level above that.

DaveyG

18 Nov 2021

Previous CPO was Timothy something I think.

Loque

18 Nov 2021

Reason12, Win10

StephenHutchinson

18 Nov 2021

Wikkid.... my new title:

Product Functionality Analyst ... AKA Beta Tester...
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

• Information