SM58 vs SM58S (best with an on/off switch or not?)

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
MarkTarlton

17 Nov 2021

Small diapragm microphone has a faster transient response, so if you are doing something with a lot of articulation you should try that, I like using that as a close mic within 9 inches or less between the 12th fret and soundhole, and if I am in a decent sounding room, I'll use a LDC farther back, something like a unidirectional SDC works really good.

edit - For a looper though you might want to stick with the cardioid pattern that doesn't need phantom power. I have had good results even with a 57 on acoustics, it's not as much of a sheen, but it works pretty good plus a little eq if you are able and all is good. My friend made really nice recordings with a 4 track porta sound tascam only had 2 - 58's, and he used them on everything and it sounded so good to me, his songs were excellent so that helps :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2021

MarkTarlton wrote:
17 Nov 2021
Small diapragm microphone has a faster transient response, so if you are doing something with a lot of articulation you should try that, I like using that as a close mic within 9 inches or less between the 12th fret and soundhole, and if I am in a decent sounding room, I'll use a LDC farther back, something like a unidirectional SDC works really good.

edit - For a looper though you might want to stick with the cardioid pattern that doesn't need phantom power. I have had good results even with a 57 on acoustics, it's not as much of a sheen, but it works pretty good plus a little eq if you are able and all is good. My friend made really nice recordings with a 4 track porta sound tascam only had 2 - 58's, and he used them on everything and it sounded so good to me, his songs were excellent so that helps :)
The RC-500 I bought has got phantom power so that’s kind of handy if I want to use the condenser mics.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information