RRP VST3 ....Interesting!

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
jctarvin

14 Nov 2021

I find it interesting that Reason does not YET support vst3 plugins, yet does not offer to provide their RRP in vst2 format...only vst3. Maybe time to go with a modern DAW and use the RRP.

Been a Reason user since version 2, getting more and more disappointed.

Billy+

14 Nov 2021

It's not really that difficult to understand, by the time Reason hall implemented vst support the 2.4 standard had been replaced and by the time RRP was born the 2.4 licensing had been completely pulled with no more uid being issued to developers for use in the SDK.

jctarvin

14 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
14 Nov 2021
It's not really that difficult to understand, by the time Reason hall implemented vst support the 2.4 standard had been replaced and by the time RRP was born the 2.4 licensing had been completely pulled with no more uid being issued to developers for use in the SDK.
My point exactly! There are many new developers offering great plugins being forced to vst3. And, we Reason users can't take advantage of those because our DAW doesn't support vst3 plugins. You've pretty much made my case....thanks!

Billy+

14 Nov 2021

I'm not sure that I've made your case, I don't own or even think about vst3 only plugins apart from RRP which I don't use as I prefer standalone.

What I'm missing is the ability to use midi vst's and even those are 2.4 versions that don't work fully in Reason due to the complete lack of pass through and routing support which has been missing since the implementation of vst support.

jctarvin

14 Nov 2021

I have many (too many according to my wife) great vst2 guitar, synth and effects plugins. What I now want is to add the free, open-source Surge 1.9 synth. Unfortunately, it's only available as vst3. So, I'm screwed until Reason Studios catches up with the industry. My 14 year old grandson has Ableton Live. He could run that plug-in.

Billy+

14 Nov 2021

jctarvin wrote:
14 Nov 2021
I have many (too many according to my wife) great vst2 guitar, synth and effects plugins. What I now want is to add the free, open-source Surge 1.9 synth. Unfortunately, it's only available as vst3. So, I'm screwed until Reason Studios catches up with the industry. My 14 year old grandson has Ableton Live. He could run that plug-in.
Well although it's not implemented yet it's on the roadmap for release in Reason 12 and of course you could also use any number of bridges check here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7523451 for a free version of elements ;)

huggermugger

15 Nov 2021

jctarvin wrote:
14 Nov 2021
There are a few ways to run VST3 in Reason: BlueCat's Patchwork, or Elements, or Voltage Modular for example.

jctarvin

16 Nov 2021

huggermugger wrote:
15 Nov 2021
jctarvin wrote:
14 Nov 2021
There are a few ways to run VST3 in Reason: BlueCat's Patchwork, or Elements, or Voltage Modular for example.
I downloaded and installed Element. No issues and it recognizes and opens the Surge vst3 synth. Created a note lane for Element and it will capture midi from my keyboard. The Element plug-in has an audio out to the mixer, but no audio in from Surge. Any info you might point me toward on what an actual working node map might look like would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

EnochLight

16 Nov 2021

jctarvin wrote:
14 Nov 2021
My point exactly! There are many new developers offering great plugins being forced to vst3. And, we Reason users can't take advantage of those because our DAW doesn't support vst3 plugins.
VST3 support in Reason standalone DAW is on their roadmap, so... it's allegedly coming. Either use a bridge in Reason right now or use another DAW. No big deal. :thumbup:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

16 Nov 2021

jctarvin wrote:
16 Nov 2021
I downloaded and installed Element. No issues and it recognizes and opens the Surge vst3 synth. Created a note lane for Element and it will capture midi from my keyboard. The Element plug-in has an audio out to the mixer, but no audio in from Surge. Any info you might point me toward on what an actual working node map might look like would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Glad you got surge working with elements..

I don't have surge but if you want better responses you should probably change the thread title to reflect the question....

Billy+

16 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
16 Nov 2021
VST3 support in Reason standalone DAW is on their roadmap, so... it's allegedly coming. Either use a bridge in Reason right now or use another DAW. No big deal. :thumbup:
:lol: I already said that after it became more clear what the issue was, are you just letting off steam ;)

EnochLight

16 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
16 Nov 2021
:lol: I already said that after it became more clear what the issue was, are you just letting off steam
Letting off steam? :question: :shock: :lol: No, I didn't read the whole thread - just saw their OP and responded. Good you guys chimed in, though. :thumbup:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jctarvin

16 Nov 2021

While I was letting off some steam, Reason is still behind most DAW mfgrs in terms of vst3 support. That being said, I did manage to get Element figured out and am able to run the Surge vst in Reason. Now, if the new VCV Rack 2 comes out with a vst3 plug-in, I can run it as well. I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Reminiscence

02 Dec 2021

sadly it just works that way - Acid Pro 10 for example has VST3 support - but the RRP doesn't respond through midi or audio. Shame, but you got to find a way to boost your creativity - Beethoven used an Open Source Piano plugin. :)

• Information