No more e-licenser

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Goriila Texas

13 Nov 2021

­
reFX logo
­
­
­
­
­
­ ­
­
­
­
eLicenser Server Closure
­

Steinberg has informed us that they are discontinuing the USB-eLicenser and soft-eLicenser technology as of January 1st, 2022. Steinberg will maintain the server handling those services for a grace period of six months until June 30th, 2022. After that period, Steinberg reserves the right to shut down the server at its sole discretion.

Unfortunately, this move is beyond our control and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.

­
­ ­ ­
­
IMPORTANT: YOUR NEXUS2 WILL CONTINUE TO WORK, EVEN AFTER THE SERVER HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN.

­
­ ­ ­
­
However, once the server has been shut down, it will no longer be possible to download new licenses to any USB-eLicenser or transfer licenses stored on a USB-eLicenser to a different USB-eLicenser. This means if your USB-eLicenser containing your NEXUS2 license gets damaged, you will not be able to transfer it to a new USB-eLicenser.

We highly recommend upgrading to NEXUS3 which does not use the USB-eLicenser technology but simply requires you to go online briefly once every 30 days. This is a rolling window so you could even go on a trip to the outback for four weeks and still use NEXUS3 the entire time if NEXUS3 had an internet connection the day before you started your trip.

NEXUS3 comes with three activations for your personal computers, so you can easily work in your studio, on your laptop, and your home computer. If you need to replace a computer, simply deactivate one of your old machines and then activate NEXUS3 on your new computer.

The upgrade to NEXUS3 also includes the expansions “ROM Extension 2” and “Summer Deep Chill”. That's a total of 490 new presets.

Plus, if you decide to upgrade to NEXUS3, you can trade in your NEXUS2 license for a NEXUS expansion of your choosing (see below).

You can find your upgrade offer here:

­
­
UPGRADE TO NEXUS3

­
­
Please make sure you are logged in to see your upgrade offer.

­
­
­
­ ­ ­
­
­
­
­
­
­ ­ ­
­
­
­
Exchange logo
­
­
­
­
Trade in your NEXUS2 license
­
If you have upgraded from NEXUS2 to NEXUS3, you can trade in your NEXUS2 license for any NEXUS expansion of your choosing. Since this process is also affected by the eLicenser Server closure, we recommend to do this as soon as possible. Once the server has been shut down, the license can't be exchanged anymore.

It's easy and fast! Click the button below and follow the on-screen instructions.

­
­
Exchange NEXUS2 license

­
­
­
­ ­ ­
­
­
­
­
­
­ ­ ­
­
­
­
­
© 2021 reFX Audio Software Inc.

­
­

Billy+

13 Nov 2021

Well I'm glad I completely refused to ever buy any software that said I need the edongle, I'm very uncomfortable with ilok but that did seem to be the one most developers prefer however I'm still very reluctant about buying software that uses dongles and I didn't particularly like it when Reason introduced it either.

Bring back the licensing files that's what I say, I can always find a save place for it and be responsible for looking after them.

Goriila Texas

14 Nov 2021

Yep, I completely agree!

Billy+ wrote:
13 Nov 2021
Well I'm glad I completely refused to ever buy any software that said I need the edongle, I'm very uncomfortable with ilok but that did seem to be the one most developers prefer however I'm still very reluctant about buying software that uses dongles and I didn't particularly like it when Reason introduced it either.

Bring back the licensing files that's what I say, I can always find a save place for it and be responsible for looking after them.

miscend

14 Nov 2021

I'm annoyed

kitekrazy

27 Nov 2021

iLok has come a long way. Some of us got into iLok when you would get free software and not the usual free stuff. Pace had a bad reputation that their drivers were ruining hard drives.

Yamaha bought eLicenser some time ago.

If you have one with VSL products and it gets damaged or lost you have to pay 50% of your licenses. Some people have up to $10k in that software. They offered a protection plan $79 for 2 years.

I remember years ago the founder of Spectrasonics had great reasons (unusual from a developers) why the dong;e is bad.

• Information