What do you think of the Soundcloud followers...

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Heigen5

10 Nov 2021

Who only add you to cancel their following-ship later on to you?
But also those who use and sell software robots to increase your listening stats?

PhillipOrdonez

10 Nov 2021

Nobody is going to say they like either of them 😂

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2021

Yeah, I’ve resigned myself to the fact that SoundCloud is really just a portfolio for me. It’s a decent place to send people a link to your music, and it can work to find other musicians with whom to collaborate. But it’s not a place where many non-musicians go to discover new music. Bots and reposters have pretty much gutted the potential and have taken truth out of the system. Once truth is gone, the system dies.

guitfnky

10 Nov 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
10 Nov 2021
Nobody is going to say they like either of them 😂
right? like asking how do you feel about this picture of a guy kicking a puppy? 😂
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Benedict
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2021

I use Soundclown as a convenient embeddable portfolio for my client Mix work, otherwise, it is a cesspit of scammers and wannabes trying to wheedle their way into having more following them than followed in the hope it makes them look like an Inflatulater. My partner Jane had the same on Twitser.

Completely not a sensible place to be to try to build an audience.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2021

I use it to show off to my friends and more recently to have an easy link to RE sound demos. I don’t like it when I get followers who guarantee one million extra followers or write and offer “mEet fOR SexY tiMe oR mORe. “
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

moofi

11 Nov 2021

I left Soundcloud when Universal came into play and went to hearthis.at. Speaking of, would it potentially be possible to make the embedment code work in the forum?
It looks like this without the dot after the "h" of "https":

[media]h.ttps://app.hearthis.at/embed/2435426/transparent_black/?hcolor=&color=&style=2&block_size=2&block_space=1&background=1&waveform=0&cover=0&autoplay=0&css=&hl=fr&fs=1[/media]

challism

11 Nov 2021

Benedict wrote:
10 Nov 2021
I use Soundclown as a convenient embeddable portfolio for my client Mix work, otherwise, it is a cesspit of scammers and wannabes trying to wheedle their way into having more following them than followed in the hope it makes them look like an Inflatulater. My partner Jane had the same on Twitser.

Completely not a sensible place to be to try to build an audience.

ha ha, I like the names you have given the various platforms.... social media inflatulater... ha ha ha

I agree about soundcloud being a good place to host your portfolio, find new talent, look for collaborators, etc. It's basically a "for musicians, by musicians" type of place. But not idea for building an audience.

So what is a good platform for building an audience? Seems like payola is still a very real, unfortunate thing in the music industry (not just dinosaur radio but also on spotify and such modern streaming services).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

PhillipOrdonez

11 Nov 2021

I personally find the practice of some to put names on things in an attempt to denigrate them whilst hoping to be perceived as being better or superior to be extremely childish.

I think it is sad that SoundCloud isn't a place to build community anymore, cause I really like it. Instead of using pictures or text to communicate like other social media platforms do, audio is front and center there. No bullshit, "music speaks for itself" kind of mentality which many of us share. 🤷‍♂️

challism

11 Nov 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
11 Nov 2021
I personally find the practice of some to put names on things in an attempt to denigrate them whilst hoping to be perceived as being better or superior to be extremely childish.

I think it is sad that SoundCloud isn't a place to build community anymore, cause I really like it. Instead of using pictures or text to communicate like other social media platforms do, audio is front and center there. No bullshit, "music speaks for itself" kind of mentality which many of us share. 🤷‍♂️
I would agree if they were personal attacks on individuals, but when applied to entities and platforms, I find them amusing.

And it's unfortunate that soundcloud has been degraded from its former state.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Benedict
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2021

My use of names is common to people on the Autism Spectrum (read up on it before coming over too judgy please).

My use of names in this way is never at anyone personally as in I am not calling you PipOrdermaker as that would indeed be rude and uncalled for (even after that judginess and therefore implied making of rules for me).

My use of names is to represent a greater idea. Clearly in this case I do think of Soundcloud as having let themselves descend into being a place full of clowns hence Soundclown.

My use of names like Trailer Swift, Lady Gargle, Christmakeitstop Agonyera, Cardi G(an) also is representative of a larger impression. These are figures in the public eye and while satirical, not mean.

This is a perfectly legitimate and well-established form of satire. Weird Al made a career out of it, as have many comedians and social commentators. It saddens me that I should feel that I have to explain this, esp in a place where we should support each other not snipe.

As for better places to build an audience, I have said it for about ten years now and have no sense of saying anything different: Bandcamp + YouTube are the fundamentals. Most of the other places are going to probably do more damage than good in the long run. Maybe if you are deep in the EDM thing Beatport, but I have no experience there personally.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Popey
Competition Winner

12 Nov 2021

MrFigg wrote:
11 Nov 2021
I use it to show off to my friends and more recently to have an easy link to RE sound demos. I don’t like it when I get followers who guarantee one million extra followers or write and offer “mEet fOR SexY tiMe oR mORe. “
I am with you on the get more followers bots or ones that message you it is a great song and they can promote it literally 2 seconds after you upload it. Haven't had sexy time offers though so they may be your groupies mr figg 🤣

integerpoet

12 Nov 2021

SoundCloud has a web audio player whose user interface doesn't suck and doesn't make me install anything onto my own site. I haven't made a serious effort to take it beyond that because I don't perceive any community there. The site feels like a bunch of lonely voices howling out in the woods. There are some accounts that seem to attract a lot of attention, but I have no idea how they got that way, unless it's a known artist which brought its existing audience to SoundCloud. It seems there is no middle ground between the two kinds of account. I could reach out to others more, but it's difficult to find motivation when I perceive no path, which seems likely to have something to do with their desire to sell ads to creators. I am not morally opposed to buying ads, but mainstream popularity isn't a goal for me, so it's not clear that's a win either. I want to like SoundCloud more than I actually do.

Aaaaaaaaand I totally have not addressed any issue raised by the OP. Go, me!

raymondh

13 Nov 2021

It's not just SoundCloud, it's everywhere. It's just more obvious on Soundcloud.

e.g.
- There are paid services that a lot of people use to get their Spotify plays up and over 5000 so it shows up as being apparently popular. I've been told by a friend in the know, that it's not just indie artists that do this!
- Facebook and Bandcamp, there is a lot of mutual back scratching. I'll "like" / buy your tune in the hope you 'like'/buy mine. (I have no problem with this practice, I think it helps build community)
- ReasonTalk - someone that hardly ever posts here, adds their new music track, and then they go and add some feedback to some other people's tracks in the hope it will be reciprocated. (Guilty :) and I also agree with this, so long as they are sincere and actually took the time to listen to the other people's tracks!)
- "Top 20" style music tracks, with all the lobbying, "go vote for me".

It would be interesting (or not) to be a fly on the wall, on how Grammy's are awarded. I suspect there is much more going on behind the scenes beyond the musical merit....

plaamook

14 Nov 2021

At one point I thought if using SC as a place to set some of the more random things I’ve made free. Just put it out there because it won’t make it on a release. I think I put a couple unofficial remixes up but that’s all.
Beyond that I use it to upload private material for projects etc.
I never really think about who’s following me much.
I follow a few people because I’m genuinely interested in their music, but I don’t go in for reciprocal following. Just don’t see the point. Wrong generation or something.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

14 Nov 2021

Benedict wrote:
11 Nov 2021
My use of names is common to people on the Autism Spectrum (read up on it before coming over too judgy please).
That’s funny you mention that. I’ve got a friend who’s Aspergers sort who does that all the time but I never thought of it as being linked.
Like he’ll send whole texts littered with such name changes. It’s funny as hell sometimes.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Nov 2021

plaamook wrote:
14 Nov 2021
Benedict wrote:
11 Nov 2021
That’s funny you mention that. I’ve got a friend who’s Aspergers sort who does that all the time but I never thought of it as being linked.
Like he’ll send whole texts littered with such name changes. It’s funny as hell sometimes.
Thanks. We often have trouble with names - seeing the word Stephanie has no actual meaning (Steph might feel otherwise but literally it has no meaning as such). However, a Tag based on something bout that person has actual meaning - as names originally used to like Shoemaker.

Hence Trailer Swift carries some of the singer's names as well as reference to her (apparently) being a Country singer.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

• Information