Soundtoys Trim Combies

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
NMHindman

29 Oct 2021

Update: 2021/11/18

These have been updated and moved to a new thread: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7525681&p=585045#p585045

Original combinators were updated so that:
(1) gain is at unity when combinator/device is instantiated (with slight variation depending on material)
(2) trim range reduced to 10db for maximum resolution, while still more than enough to compensate for maximum added gain
(3) 'bypass' utilises the plugin's native bypass instead of the combinator 'enable' switch; this maintains link between combinator knobs and vst knobs when in bypass (not the case when the combinator 'enable' switch is in bypass)

Devil-Loc Deluxe has also been added.
Last edited by NMHindman on 18 Nov 2021, edited 6 times in total.

Loque

29 Oct 2021

Nice. Did you recreated the background?
Reason12, Win10

NMHindman

29 Oct 2021

Loque wrote:
29 Oct 2021
Nice. Did you recreated the background?
No, just used a screenshot of the actual device, and then moved/manipulated things around. The backgrounds are in the zip file if you're interested...

Ottostrom

29 Oct 2021

These look great! I've got Devil-loc and Radiator so I'll happily start using these combis instead :)

NMHindman

29 Oct 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
29 Oct 2021
These look great! I've got Devil-loc and Radiator so I'll happily start using these combis instead :)
Great to hear! You're the beta tester by the way :-D

Loque

29 Oct 2021

Maybe if i am bored and have some time, i try to recreate the skins. It looks like Soundtoys never will make a Hires update so we in Reason at least can have one...Well, for the knobs and stuff.
Reason12, Win10

NMHindman

29 Oct 2021

Loque wrote:
29 Oct 2021
Maybe if i am bored and have some time, i try to recreate the skins. It looks like Soundtoys never will make a Hires update so we in Reason at least can have one...Well, for the knobs and stuff.
Yes, these definitely are not hi-res, and I'm ashamed to tell you what 'graphics program' I used ;-)

NMHindman

01 Nov 2021

I discovered that using Reason's 6:2 mixer for trim was a bad idea, as it's not bypass-able; so when you hit the 'bypass' button the VST is bypassed but not the mixer. So I've replaced it in the above combies with Synchronous, just utilizing Synchronous's level control (wanted to keep it Reason-native). Seems to work great. Can re-download at the updated link in the original post.

selig
RE Developer

01 Nov 2021

NMHindman wrote:
01 Nov 2021
I discovered that using Reason's 6:2 mixer for trim was a bad idea, as it's not bypass-able; so when you hit the 'bypass' button the VST is bypassed but not the mixer. So I've replaced it in the above combies with Synchronous, just utilizing Synchronous's level control (wanted to keep it Reason-native). Seems to work great. Can re-download at the updated link in the original post.
Thats the Bypass FX button on the Combinator right? The regular "bypass" works, as does creating a dedicated bypass button (which is what I typically do).
Depending on how much you want to be able to trim levels, in the past I've used MClass compressor as a trim for compatibility but it's limited to ±12dB (unless you combine the input and the output for ±24 dB). The new Channel EQ/dynamics would also work (±18 dB) to , as would Pulveriser which offers gain from OFF, to unity (@ 55%), to +7.4dB additional gain!
Selig Audio, LLC

NMHindman

01 Nov 2021

selig wrote:
01 Nov 2021
NMHindman wrote:
01 Nov 2021
Thats the Bypass FX button on the Combinator right? The regular "bypass" works, as does creating a dedicated bypass button (which is what I typically do).
Depending on how much you want to be able to trim levels, in the past I've used MClass compressor as a trim for compatibility but it's limited to ±12dB (unless you combine the input and the output for ±24 dB). The new Channel EQ/dynamics would also work (±18 dB) to , as would Pulveriser which offers gain from OFF, to unity (@ 55%), to +7.4dB additional gain!
Well in my own combinators I actually use a fantastic RE called Selig Gain. Highly recommended. :-D But for sharing I wanted to keep them all native Reason, for simplicity sake. The intel you've shared above is really useful. I thought to use the MClass compressor but wasn't sure if it could possibly process the sound, even at zero settings? (I'm a bit naive at these things). Synchronous seemed a safe bet, and with all modules off I'm guessing it's virtually zero load on the CPU.

Yes, I'm using the Bypass FX button, though I've experimented with the DIY bypass button approach too. Problem is, there is no way to 'bypass' the Line Mixer 6:2 (no bypass switch) which is what I originally used for the trim function. So if the VST increases gain, and I 'trim' it to unity (via the 6:2), and then bypass (dedicated or FX), the VST is bypassed but not the 6:2.

Really, Selig Gain is the most eminently useful RE in the shop! -by default the first device in my insert chains

MarkTarlton

01 Nov 2021

Thanks for sharing the combi's!

I agree about Selig's gain, it's the most useful RE for me too. Use it multiple times in every session as both a gain adjuster and meter, super simple, but very effective!

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Nov 2021

Need a Decapitator one, their BEST vst :D

Loque

01 Nov 2021

aeox wrote:
01 Nov 2021
No Metering display :-(
Reason12, Win10

manisnotabird

01 Nov 2021

aeox wrote:
01 Nov 2021
Decapitator has its own (clean) output knob.

aeox
Competition Winner

02 Nov 2021

manisnotabird wrote:
01 Nov 2021
aeox wrote:
01 Nov 2021
Decapitator has its own (clean) output knob.
I mean a skin for it so I don't have to popout the vst window. I'll get on it!

NMHindman

10 Nov 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
29 Oct 2021
What other Soundtoys devices require a gain/trim control? I might download the demos and make combies for them, using the above as templates...

Ottostrom

11 Nov 2021

NMHindman wrote:
10 Nov 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
29 Oct 2021
What other Soundtoys devices require a gain/trim control? I might download the demos and make combies for them, using the above as templates...
Devil-Loc Deluxe would be good to have! When it comes to Soundtoys I almost exclusively use Devil-Loc, Radiator and Echoboy so I'm not too familiar with the other ones

moofi

11 Nov 2021

You can aswell simply put several trimming devices in series controlled by one combinator knob simultaneously giving you multiples of the device´ dB-range.
If you like in between ranges, you can limit the ranges within the combi programmer.
selig wrote:
01 Nov 2021
NMHindman wrote:
01 Nov 2021

moofi

11 Nov 2021

Btw good looking Combis :thumbs_up:

NMHindman

16 Nov 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
11 Nov 2021
NMHindman wrote:
10 Nov 2021

Devil-Loc Deluxe would be good to have! When it comes to Soundtoys I almost exclusively use Devil-Loc, Radiator and Echoboy so I'm not too familiar with the other ones
I made a combi skin for Devil-Loc Deluxe. I don't have Devil-Loc Deluxe myself, and would like to avoid installing the whole suite just to create the combi. If I sent you the combi template, would you be able to insert Devil-Loc Deluxe and assign the knobs accordingly? If you can't, I'll go ahead and download the demo pack. But if you can, I'll send you the combinator.

I've inserted 'little' Devil-Loc for the template:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (118.84 KiB) Viewed 3318 times

Ottostrom

17 Nov 2021

NMHindman wrote:
16 Nov 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
11 Nov 2021

I made a combi skin for Devil-Loc Deluxe. I don't have Devil-Loc Deluxe myself, and would like to avoid installing the whole suite just to create the combi. If I sent you the combi template, would you be able to insert Devil-Loc Deluxe and assign the knobs accordingly? If you can't, I'll go ahead and download the demo pack. But if you can, I'll send you the combinator.

Untitled.jpg
Yeah I can map the controls myself :)
Thank you for creating a skin for it even though you don't own the device yourself, I appreciate it!
Looks really good :thumbs_up:

NMHindman

18 Nov 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
17 Nov 2021
NMHindman wrote:
16 Nov 2021

Untitled.jpg
Thank you for creating a skin for it even though you don't own the device yourself, I appreciate it!
Never mind friend, I had a little time so I downloaded the suite and wired the combinator for Devil-Loc Deluxe (and enjoyed checking out a few other Soundtoys plugins of interest). I've made some updates to the original combies (see my original posting above, updated) so I created a new thread where the updated combies, including Devil-Loc Deluxe, are available. Let me know if you discover any issues. Enjoy!

Ottostrom

18 Nov 2021

NMHindman wrote:
18 Nov 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
17 Nov 2021

Never mind friend, I had a little time so I downloaded the suite and wired the combinator for Devil-Loc Deluxe (and enjoyed checking out a few other Soundtoys plugins of interest). I've made some updates to the original combies (see my original posting above, updated) so I created a new thread where the updated combies, including Devil-Loc Deluxe, are available. Let me know if you discover any issues. Enjoy!
Oh okay great! I'll head over there and download the updated ones as well :)
Using the dials from the actual VST as underlying value indicators on the combinator was a really smart way of getting same look

NMHindman

19 Nov 2021

selig wrote:
01 Nov 2021
NMHindman wrote:
01 Nov 2021
I discovered another issue in using the 'Bypass FX' button: When the button is enabled (meaning bypass), any tweaking done to knobs on the combinator will not occur on the VST; it's as if 'Bypass FX' breaks the link, in addition to bypassing. Your method of creating a dedicated bypass button solves this, as that button can be assigned to the VST's own 'bypass' rather than to the wrapper 'bypass/enable' switch. Thus the VST wrapper remains enabled, even though the VST is in bypass; the combi-VST link remains active, as such any tweaks made to knobs on the combinator while in bypass will still occur on the VST.

NMHindman

19 Nov 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
18 Nov 2021
NMHindman wrote:
18 Nov 2021

Oh okay great! I'll head over there and download the updated ones as well :)
Using the dials from the actual VST as underlying value indicators on the combinator was a really smart way of getting same look
I just updated these so that the dials are better calibrated to the device (they were slightly off before)

• Information