(EDM) The Weeknd - Blinding Lights (Punchinello Remix)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Ukho

08 Nov 2021

Hi everyone! :)

I am working on a remix of The Weeknds "Blinding Lights". I discovered that son a week ago (Yes, I know! :lol: ), and I have fallen in love with it.
I think the remix is not that bad.
That is why I want to put it up on Youtube, but before that I also want to get some opinion on my mixdown.

Do you think it is okay?

Let me know what ya think!?

Thanks,
Chris
"Music is a place to take refuge. It's a sanctuary from mediocrity and boredom. It's innocent and it's a place you can lose yourself in thoughts, memories and intricacies."

pushedbutton

09 Nov 2021

Structurally it's fine, a little safe. In my opinion you need to make your drums pop a bit more.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Ukho

09 Nov 2021

pushedbutton wrote:
09 Nov 2021
Structurally it's fine, a little safe. In my opinion you need to make your drums pop a bit more.
Thanks for listening!
Mixing-wise, I did nothing on the stem files (synth melody, vocals and drums) exept regulating the volume.
I was thinking they are propably mixed already, and as I am not a sound engineer, I am going to try to make my pad sounds, pad melody and bassline fit the stem files.
And as I am not a sound engineer, I also did only high-pass filtering on the pads, and low-pass filtering on the bassline.
I think the bassline really pulls the song forward.

So, besides making the drums pop out a bit more, you think the mixdown is fine?

Structure-wise and lenght-wise, I just did let it happen, and focused on the song flowing.
I did have a little story in my mind while working on it, but structure-wise, I also used the video as guideline.

So again, thanks for listening and for sharing your opinion!

I very much appreciate them!
"Music is a place to take refuge. It's a sanctuary from mediocrity and boredom. It's innocent and it's a place you can lose yourself in thoughts, memories and intricacies."

Popey
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2021

I like the original of this track and also your remix. As per the drums comment i agree but actually in places they are really clear. Its almost like in some parts the kick is masked but i cannot put my finger on why. Really cool track

Ukho

09 Nov 2021

Popey wrote:
09 Nov 2021
I like the original of this track and also your remix. As per the drums comment i agree but actually in places they are really clear. Its almost like in some parts the kick is masked but i cannot put my finger on why. Really cool track
Thank you for taking the time to listen to it! :)

Well, as for the stem files, it seems like they have not been released officialy "The Weeknd".
After noticing parts of the stems not sounding clean, I check the bandcamp link again,
and realized it not being The Weeknds bandcamp.

So I actually do not know about the real quality of the files, although I realized the synth melody could use some "surgical eq".
Besides that I certainly have to work on my mixdown, as some part indeed sound a little muddy.

Thanks!

jam-s

09 Nov 2021

The stems are most likely just split from the original track using spleeter or izotope. So your remix could be considered a "bootleg" or "white label" which is quite a common thing in the electronic music scene.

• Information