Windows 11 - dive in or wait?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
mcatalao
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2021

This might change if you upgrade your pc in the next months to a 12th gen Intel.
Windows 11 has a new scheduler for it and for now, Win 10 is not patched for 12th gen. Maybe in the next months W10 gets a patch and upgrading the Hardware still in Win 10 is worth it. I don't know.

If you're not upgrading hardware, stick with 10!

Neo

07 Nov 2021

I might wait for official hardware/audio drivers before updating.. that and VST3 support before doing a full clean install.

No issues from this user:
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Goriila Texas

07 Nov 2021

Hell I have a fairly new Alienware computer and Microsoft is saying my computer isn't compatible with with v11 because of some TPM 2.0 setting. I'm tired of Windows my last laptop couldn't be upgraded and stuck on v8 and now my 2 year old 6 core that I maxed out with 64 Gb of ram at 3200mhz and 2 TB M.2 can't be upgraded because TPM is greyed out in my bios. My next computer will be a M1 chip Mac.

Neo wrote:
07 Nov 2021
I might wait for official hardware/audio drivers before updating.. that and VST3 support before doing a full clean install.

No issues from this user:

DaveyG

07 Nov 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
07 Nov 2021
My next computer will be a M1 chip Mac.
Mine probably will also be an M1 despite the price premium. Not because of any disillusionment about Windows but because Apple seem to have absolutely nailed it

Neo

08 Nov 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
07 Nov 2021
Hell I have a fairly new Alienware computer and Microsoft is saying my computer isn't compatible with with v11 because of some TPM 2.0 setting. I'm tired of Windows my last laptop couldn't be upgraded and stuck on v8 and now my 2 year old 6 core that I maxed out with 64 Gb of ram at 3200mhz and 2 TB M.2 can't be upgraded because TPM is greyed out in my bios. My next computer will be a M1 chip Mac.
Neo wrote:
07 Nov 2021
You checked the BIOS yeah? A quick toggle and you should be ok.

https://www.wepc.com/how-to/enable-tpm-for-windows-11/

Is TPM Version 2.0 Enabled On My PC:
WIN + R
type: tpm.msc
DaveyG wrote:
07 Nov 2021

Mine probably will also be an M1 despite the price premium. Not because of any disillusionment about Windows but because Apple seem to have absolutely nailed it
How tempting! Lets see how Intel's next generation performs.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Goriila Texas

08 Nov 2021

I did all that and it didn’t work so I checked my TPM settings in my BIOS and it’s greyed out. Dell has said some computers have to download the TPM 2.0 software and Bios update. I’m just tired of PC BS I shouldn’t have to be digging all in my Bios trying to figure shyt out. In 3 years I’ll be on a Mac 🖥.

Neo wrote:
08 Nov 2021
Goriila Texas wrote:
07 Nov 2021

WIN + R

kitekrazy

11 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
04 Nov 2021
The old saying, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" seems to apply here.
If only a majority of developers believed that.

jlgrimes

12 Nov 2021

CaptainBlack wrote:
05 Oct 2021
Is Reason going to be fine under the newly available OS or should I wait till some future optimisation?
It's usually not a good idea to be the early adopter of Operating Systems. As a general rule I try to wait about 6 months or so (usually by then major issues are usually sorted out). That said chances are early adopter issues are usually minor but you never know and you usually gain very little anyway by instantly going to a new OS immediately on a DAW Computer as your DAW software would most likely still support the older version or even recommend the older version for some time.

Goriila Texas

03 Dec 2021

Just got email from Dell and looks like I'm out of luck for Windows 11 on an 2 year old beast of a computer that should've lasted me 5 years at least. My next computer will be a Mac fck a PC!

Thank you for reaching the Alienware Online Services.

Upon reviewing your case we noticed it was created for Windows 11 upgrade option

Your system is not compatible with this version of the Operating system due to the BIOS settings and hardware components and of the main requirements will be the CPU that unfortunately, cannot be upgraded

Please check the following link for compatible systems: Dell computers tested for upgrade to Windows 11

Thank you for choosing Dell.

Neo wrote:
08 Nov 2021
Goriila Texas wrote:
07 Nov 2021

WIN + R

jam-s

03 Dec 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
03 Dec 2021
Just got email from Dell and looks like I'm out of luck for Windows 11 on an 2 year old beast of a computer that should've lasted me 5 years at least.
And if you stay on Win10 it will last that long. No need to go Wini11 at all.

Goriila Texas

03 Dec 2021

Looks like that's my only choice.

jam-s wrote:
03 Dec 2021
Goriila Texas wrote:
03 Dec 2021
Just got email from Dell and looks like I'm out of luck for Windows 11 on an 2 year old beast of a computer that should've lasted me 5 years at least.
And if you stay on Win10 it will last that long. No need to go Wini11 at all.

• Information