Reason Studios shares their roadmap (September 7, 2021)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
StephenHutchinson

04 Nov 2021

joeyluck wrote:
04 Nov 2021
30 day trials are back (no longer just 7 days), now for $1.

30 day trial for $1.png
Sooo... at this point in time, with over 300 sound packs in the Reason Companion app...and those Sound Packs are one of the benefits of having a Reason+ subscription... one could trial Reason+ under a different ID/email, and having already bought a full/updated version of Reason 12, grab all the sound packs, and then just bugger off? Easy to move the Sound Packs to an external hard drive, cancel the trial, and walk away with the loot... Doesn't make much sense.
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

earwig83

04 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
04 Nov 2021
earwig83 wrote:
04 Nov 2021
Agree. it is very frustrating to see how complacent most forum users are.
How is anyone being "complacent" here? I don't think anyone is really truly defending the apparent silence, but after pages and pages of people whining and b itch ing about it, let's just say it gets old. I'll be the first to agree that the R12 rollout was fumbled, and I'll also agree that a "roadmap update" is long overdue since the first planned deadline wasn't met. But it's not like they've been 100% silent - for the third time, the CEO himself admitted they're behind at the end of October. ffs
Ok perhaps you think using the term "complacent" is unfounded and fair is fair. But I truly feel many people on Reason Talk seem to emote that waiting this long for necessary improvements (over the course of 3 versions now) is somewhat acceptable/tolerable. R12 should have been it and they should have delayed or never marketed it if they weren't will to put in the work. And I don't care what anyone says, the money and resources wasted on their marketing and social garbage could hire at least 5 more customer service agents to respond to customer needs on issues and refunds. RS is notorious for being terrible at all of that. One guy even gave me attitude about a very specific question I was hoping to clarify. I won't name the RS individual.

They did all this marketing junk to get fake subscription sign ups, only to watch the mass cancellations come in for both the subs and perpetual licenses. AND can't even process them in due time because they are that bad at scaling work! And this doesn't only concern RS btw. Trust me, as a designer, I have plenty to say about the slow state of improvement with Adobe CC products too. Those are the real criminals.

But the crazy part: is we could you know, just let the people who want to discuss or whine do so in the threads they specifically created to do so, no? But the one I created got locked because it had "run it's course", yet here are a bunch of people still talking about the same issue on other threads. A thread about the meaningless nature of the roadmap, no less. Seems like an appropriate place to discuss or whine about it to me.

So the way things are said aside, it sounds like we agree more than we don't. That this is unreasonable, that they are dropping the ball and that they need to make good on these promises and asap. They turned the product into a beta Saas and long term users shouldn't have to put up with that.

None the less, sorry if I come off irritated, because I sort of am, at the situation and the lenience and patience we are affording these guys. It's just taking unreasonably wrong (the entire RS journey, not R12 itself). Reason 12 and the hi res update was really looking to be the one thing that would elevate my current experience on my giant 4k monitor. The pixel pitch was not ideal in previous versions. While the rack devices now look great, everything about the way it was implemented is a giant Rube Goldberg Machine of ridiculous small issues and catches:

Program feels a little bit glitchy and slower than before (i'm on a 12 core beast, no excuse)
Font issues in various spots.
Other interface elements have scaling issues now.
No dedicated zoom hot keys or buttons. Buried in file menu that doesn't scale with the rack!
None of the interface scales along with the rack.
VSTs are now messed up if they don't have their own scaling. Whereas VSTs used to scale proportionally at least. So I went from being able to see vsts and not see RE to not being able to see VST and being able to see VST.

You know the list so I will stop there. Nobody tested this in any meaningful way UI-wise and they never give me beta opportunities when I sign up. I can assure you I would have flagged that day one. Though I am sure plenty people did!

You are right that the batch sucks but IMO that's what people have to do to make it clear to these companies. Any attempt to thwart it just helps justify the corps' lazy sensibilities and their weak scaling/planning abilities. If they want more revenue, slash prices, everyone knows that's why no one buys. The prices on R12 upgrade and some of their RE is quite ridiculous. Or even just open up reason to all, keep working on it hard but then focus on lower priced devices, they could pump out tons that way. But they want to be a big dick energy Saas, not going to work. . Open the platform more by lowering the price significantly, price it like the toy people claim it is and then watch the widespread adoption. Plus, have more frequent update cycles. Stop with the lame social content, fix up their customer service and then and focus on selling devices with more frequent sales to drive interest, bring the damn shop link back to the top header on the website. I could go on lol

To summarize, companies seem to respond to public ire in several other aspects of life so best to drive it home since we have to cut through all the other whining noise. Then again maybe I am wrong! Cyberpunk showed how little a company is willing to do to make a wrong right. Fixing holes in your product is the bare minimum and companies should not be praised or thanked one bit for that. But I will digress and try to make some music and hide my contempt for the state of R12 for the time being because you are right, it does get old eh?

Cheers

EnochLight

05 Nov 2021

Jesus. 9 paragraphs? Ok. Hopefully we’ll get a blog update today.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

guitfnky

05 Nov 2021

"whiners">apologists
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Popey
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
05 Nov 2021
Let's hope so. If not I suggest Ryan harlin adds some different lyrics to his latest remix of Matthias combinator vid.

We know the roadmap is late
But when it's done will be great
Apologies for the wait
It's headed to a better state

Full HD on the way
So you can see while you play
The bugs will be gone
So you can go make that song

I will get my coat...and not give up my day job🤣

EnochLight

05 Nov 2021

Popey wrote:
05 Nov 2021
Let's hope so. If not I suggest Ryan harlin adds some different lyrics to his latest remix of Matthias combinator vid.

Apologies for the wait

Full HD on the way
The bugs will be gone

Hahahah! I think you’ve got a hit!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jamespember
Reason Studios

05 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
05 Nov 2021
Hey everyone. Hopefully I can add some much-needed clarity here before heading off for the weekend.

- Yes, we are clearly delayed on the roadmap. Reason 12 performance issues have been really tricky to understand and squash, so we're still hard at work getting that in order. Once we get through these bugs and issues, we'll of course keep working on the rest of the roadmap.

- To be extremely clear - the blog post literally says, the roadmap is a plan, not a promise. It's a goal, not a contract. As an agile company, we'll adapt to the current circumstances and act accordingly. In this case, investing our time and energy into getting Reason 12 in order was clearly far more important than starting on the next features.

- We know lots of users are quite rightly frustrated with the quality of Reason 12 (although it must be said, these issues are far from affecting all users - which is partly what makes this so hard to fix) and I can assure everyone we're working as hard as we can to get those fixed.

- Once we have more clarity ourselves around the timelines, we'll of course keep the community updated.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Loque

05 Nov 2021

jamespember wrote:
05 Nov 2021
EnochLight wrote:
05 Nov 2021
Hey everyone. Hopefully I can add some much-needed clarity here before heading off for the weekend.

- Yes, we are clearly delayed on the roadmap. Reason 12 performance issues have been really tricky to understand and squash, so we're still hard at work getting that in order. Once we get through these bugs and issues, we'll of course keep working on the rest of the roadmap.

- To be extremely clear - the blog post literally says, the roadmap is a plan, not a promise. It's a goal, not a contract. As an agile company, we'll adapt to the current circumstances and act accordingly. In this case, investing our time and energy into getting Reason 12 in order was clearly far more important than starting on the next features.

- We know lots of users are quite rightly frustrated with the quality of Reason 12 (although it must be said, these issues are far from affecting all users - which is partly what makes this so hard to fix) and I can assure everyone we're working as hard as we can to get those fixed.

- Once we have more clarity ourselves around the timelines, we'll of course keep the community updated.

Thanks for info and clarification. Transforming a company to agile is a pretty hard task, which takes some time. And things like "having always a releasable version" and "things are done when they are done" are hard to follow if there are release dates. I cross fingers, the transformation will succeed and you get all the things sorted, so we can get a stable Reason as we are used to be and get new features faster in future. Keep it on :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

Billy+

05 Nov 2021

Popey wrote:
05 Nov 2021
EnochLight wrote:
05 Nov 2021

Apologies for the wait

Full HD on the way
The bugs will be gone

Yeah another vocal/song tutorial and I hope he uses enochlights quote as the chorus :lol:

Loque

05 Nov 2021

Popey wrote:
05 Nov 2021
EnochLight wrote:
05 Nov 2021

Apologies for the wait

Full HD on the way
The bugs will be gone

:clap: :thumbup:
We should have a contest with this...
Reason12, Win10

Popey
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
05 Nov 2021
Popey wrote:
05 Nov 2021

Apologies for the wait

Full HD on the way
The bugs will be gone

Yeah another vocal/song tutorial and I hope he uses enochlights quote as the chorus :lol:
🤣🤣🤣

avasopht
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
05 Nov 2021
A little trick you can do - copy/paste the text into a GPT-2 transformer, and add "tl;dr" (without quotes) at the end, and it will summarise it for you. Here's what I got:
tl;dr from GPT-2 wrote:R12 hardware is very difficult to use, a buggy and basically crippled software experience has been enabled by the author's unwillingness to be open and honest about their process.
This is one of my favourite life-hacks.

Then you can take its summary and feed it back to itself to generate a response, like so:
GPT-2 generated response wrote:John: "R12 hardware is very difficult to use, a buggy and basically crippled software experience has been enabled by the author's unwillingness to be open and honest about their process"

Ken: "The real tragedy is R12. For a system with a mixed track record (and suspect reputation) like this, it was a bit of a surprise to see how well it worked."

CoreOS Announcement: "We ran into a bug. But

EnochLight

05 Nov 2021

avasopht wrote:
05 Nov 2021
A little trick you can do - copy/paste the text into a GPT-2 transformer, and add "tl;dr" (without quotes) at the end, and it will summarise it for you.
OMFG that is the best website ever. Thanks for this.

OMG-yes-this.JPG
OMG-yes-this.JPG (98.28 KiB) Viewed 3048 times

Billy+

05 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
05 Nov 2021
OMFG that is the best website ever.
Even if it's not the smartest?
IMG_2866.PNG
IMG_2866.PNG (238.81 KiB) Viewed 3031 times

Billy+

05 Nov 2021

jamespember wrote:
05 Nov 2021
EnochLight wrote:
05 Nov 2021

It's ok James most of us understood that the roadmap wasn't wasn't set in stone and that the plan wasn't a promise however it might have been nice to pop in with an announcement before November ;)

Still it looks like we might have got a song out of the rage :lol:

Oh and whilst I've got you, is there any chance of opening up beta testing for non r12 license holders?

Billy+

05 Nov 2021

IMG_2867.PNG
IMG_2867.PNG (218.72 KiB) Viewed 2998 times

:lol:

How is this thing happening?

Is it just plagiarising online works ?

Pepin

05 Nov 2021

Reason12.png
Reason12.png (37.59 KiB) Viewed 2997 times
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy+

05 Nov 2021

Pepin wrote:
05 Nov 2021
Reason12.png
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I might actually buy that, how do I get one :lol:

Popey
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
05 Nov 2021
jamespember wrote:
05 Nov 2021

It's ok James most of us understood that the roadmap wasn't wasn't set in stone and that the plan wasn't a promise however it might have been nice to pop in with an announcement before November ;)

Oh and whilst I've got you, is there any chance of opening up beta testing for non r12 license holders?
Ha ha if the comment about a song from the rage was aimed at my lyrical joke I just want to point out there is no rage. I just had a moment before a zoom meeting and thought I would have a laugh to lighten the mood of people waiting for the roadmap. I haven't even got 12 but imo rs should take whatever time they need to deliver a solid stable product.

Billy+

05 Nov 2021

Popey wrote:
05 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
05 Nov 2021

Ha ha if the comment about a song from the rage was aimed at my lyrical joke I just want to point out there is no rage. I just had a moment before a zoom meeting and thought I would have a laugh to lighten the mood of people waiting for the roadmap. I haven't even got 12 but imo rs should take whatever time they need to deliver a solid stable product.
Yeah wasn't your rage but ultimately the rage of others that lead to your creation/inspiration :lol:

I haven't got R12 anymore either, I tried it but didn't like it so gave it up a a bad joke made even less funny by the price hike £200 for a busted daw :o

Popey
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
05 Nov 2021
Popey wrote:
05 Nov 2021

Yeah wasn't your rage but ultimately the rage of others that lead to your creation/inspiration :lol:

I haven't got R12 anymore either, I tried it but didn't like it so gave it up a a bad joke made even less funny by the price hike £200 for a busted daw :o
Yeah trialled it too, liked mimic just didn't justify £129 personally at the time. Price increase just made decision easier. Might buy it later or v13 etc but will probably be when it is on sale or once things get added to represent good value for my personal situation/needs. Certainly sounds like people are having issues with r12 so hope rs get this sorted.

Billy+

05 Nov 2021

Popey wrote:
05 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
05 Nov 2021

Yeah trialled it too, liked mimic just didn't justify £129 personally at the time. Price increase just made decision easier. Might buy it later or v13 etc but will probably be when it is on sale or once things get added to represent good value for my personal situation/needs. Certainly sounds like people are having issues with r12 so hope rs get this sorted.
Yeah normally I buy at full price 10 & 11 was direct from RS web store and I don't think I've ever not wanted a current version so I was pleased to be able to try R12 via a cheap subscription as I managed to get all the plus packs that work in R11 and spent a few weeks playing with R12 before dropping it like a hot potato.

And I think you're spot on about the price hike making the decision easier as it's definitely not worth £200 to me and going forward it's definitely going to be easier to pass over the upgrade if it's not got features that I want, I never really thought about it before I just went with the upgrade assuming it would be better 11 wasn't actually on my list until suite version I just couldn't pass up on the deal for the missing RE's and although I had quite a few it was still a bargain but £200 for R12 is just laughable as things stand - which is a shame as it's the one piece of software that I would normally use most days and look forward to seeing what would be added.

I hope things improve and I don't really care how long it takes so long as it improves and I can buy my license.

Creativemind

07 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
01 Nov 2021
whitewolfmusic wrote:
01 Nov 2021
I don't use Twitter. Surprise. Concerning Reason, I look at their official website / blog for information.
Fraxis wrote:
01 Nov 2021
Would be good (AND courteous AND professional) if RS volunteered major information like that in advance, rather than having to be pushed into saying something so close to an expected release date. Perhaps they should commit to doing that from now on? Were they just hoping people wouldn't notice? And can subscribers hold off from paying their subscription this month - because, you know, we're running behind with having enough money to pay? Sorry we didn't mention it before, but if it's a good enough excuse for RS... ;-)
rootwheel wrote:
01 Nov 2021
Very wise. I don't either, Twitter's a cesspit. Someone else had posted a screenshot of the tweet elsewhere on this forum. As part of Agevik's communication it was stated that a new revised roadmap is forthcoming but it's a bit disappointing that Reason Studios haven't done an official website blog update about any of this yet...

Yep, here's the screenshot again:

yep.JPG
Thank god someone had the forethought to circle it. I might otherwise have missed it. :lol:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

07 Nov 2021

whitewolfmusic wrote:
01 Nov 2021
Simply put, if there is a delay, I would like to see an info blog post about that on the official website blog BEFORE the announced time period is past by several days. If they say "update in October" and notice they won't make it, can't someone just post a few words of information before the 31st of the month, or AT LEAST on the 31st? Instead of letting people sit on hot coals eagerly expecting the update, looking forward to it and checking the website for new infos like idiots (like me)?

Some excuse like "roadmaps are no promised dates, it is just a plan" is bull. This is just another case of terrible communication practices. They find the time to write about stupid sample giveaways and artists I don't care about, but when it comes to their product, it is silence and guesswork. Man, I'm really unhappy with these guys and their decisions and practices. Propellerhead used to be a cool bunch.

To give you an idea of what you are doing, reasonstudios: Your little roadmap and the still somewhat active passion about your damn product made me check your website pretty much every day for the last week of the month, I even started up Reason daily to see if there is an update banner. I am looking forward to the promised updates and I am excited for them. It would be somewhat kind and I guess... respectful and professional to notify me on your official website when you don't deliver what you announced! :!:
Agreed. It does show how little consideration (or common sense) they have for their user/customer base and we have to find out such things from a random tweet that someone else shares on here. I'm willing to give them benefit of the doubt and assume they're pretty busy but still, not very courteous.

EDIT - Just read James Pembers reply so there has been communication. Hopefully we'll hear something this next week.
Last edited by Creativemind on 07 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

07 Nov 2021

QVprod wrote:
04 Nov 2021
BananaSkins wrote:
04 Nov 2021

What happens after 30 days - considering they now have your credit card details?
Like other subscriptions, you cancel before the 30 days is up. It says “cancel anytime”

I’d agree though that some sort of free trial should exist. One of the reasons I never got into Cubase was having to buy a dongle to do it. Granted this is only $1, but it does put a slight barrier to someone just wanting to get a general feel of the program itself before spending money.
Yeah so if you're busy with life and forget to cancel. THE CUSTOMER SHOULDN'T HAVE TO CANCEL, it's a scam. If indeed that's what happens. If you pay for a month then it should cancel after a month, you shouldn't have to do it. Legalised theft.

Sorry for the rant but it really irks me.
Last edited by Creativemind on 07 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

• Information