(Dark electronic dance) Trying To Kill A Dead Man

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
man made material

05 Nov 2021

again I'm struggling for a genre - dark pop/dance/industrial/EDM/alt-rock? I dunno! :D
all Reason 11

Lyrics for those interested:

Remember the beginning?
There was something that we thought could grow
But patience started thinning
And it came a time that we should go our separate ways.
And as usual, things were said
to hurt when we each saw red
You couldn't let it go until I bled
You tore my tired heart out
Left me for dead

So why do you still waste your time?

Trying to kill a dead man

This love, if love it was...
Once a source of joy and hope.
I once kissed your neck
And now you slip my neck inside a rope noose.
So much pain and anger,
This empty hornet's nest is just a husk
But you keep on kicking
Grinding it to dust...

So why do you still waste your time?

You know the dead can't die...

You know the dead can't die...

Benedict
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2021

I was leaning to early Techno until I heard the forced baritone a& lyric that screams Goth.
Some will say Synthwave or Darkwave, meh. Goth is the main space that this is in with that forced baritone and lyric.

I like Goth. Sisters, Xymox, Peter Murphy etc.

The trick is to remember that it has to be beautiful. The vocal goes here from dry to distorted but doesn't ever feel right which is a shame seeing I think the delivery is fine. I would also suggest finding ways to make that constant ARP move or it becomes an annoyance. Simple rhythm during verses etc can be better than overloading. Note how much space that Mr Eldritch keeps in his tracks despite how huge they feel ;-)

Happy to hear more and how you grow this. There is a market here if you do the work.
:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

man made material

06 Nov 2021

Benedict wrote:
05 Nov 2021
I was leaning to early Techno until I heard the forced baritone a& lyric that screams Goth.
Some will say Synthwave or Darkwave, meh. Goth is the main space that this is in with that forced baritone and lyric.

I like Goth. Sisters, Xymox, Peter Murphy etc.

The trick is to remember that it has to be beautiful. The vocal goes here from dry to distorted but doesn't ever feel right which is a shame seeing I think the delivery is fine. I would also suggest finding ways to make that constant ARP move or it becomes an annoyance. Simple rhythm during verses etc can be better than overloading. Note how much space that Mr Eldritch keeps in his tracks despite how huge they feel ;-)

Happy to hear more and how you grow this. There is a market here if you do the work.
Thanks for taking the time and your comments👍
The baritone isn’t forced though, it’s the only spot where my limited vocal feels comfortable!😂
Noted about the arps it’s something I may look at once I’ve got a bit of distance from the song…
The subtleties of mixing are something I’m only slowly coming to grips with, hopefully there’s a general direction of improving with each track…

Benedict
Competition Winner

06 Nov 2021

man made material wrote:
06 Nov 2021
The baritone isn’t forced though, it’s the only spot where my limited vocal feels comfortable!😂
It wasn't a judgment. many Goth singers were really Tenors but sans as a Baritone to get that richer sound. I am not sure if Peter Murphy (or whoever really started it) is a baritone or not but once it became the sound of Goth, it stuck. And it is a great sound. I did to it myself when I used to sing.

Continually publishing will see you improve. Buuut also know your limits as if you are a singer, it is not likely that you are a great mix engineer. It does happen but most people have 1-2 true talents and if they are smart align themselves with others who have complementary talents for a greater whole.

Last edited by Benedict on 06 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

man made material

08 Nov 2021

Wee Joe wrote:
06 Nov 2021
Great lyrics .......
Cheers sir!

• Information