Loading up unofficial remixes on Youtube

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Ukho

04 Nov 2021

Hi everyone! :puf_smile:

I have a question: can I just simply upload an unofficial remix on Youtube?

I made a remix of "Blinding Lights" by the Weeknd; I discovered the song yesterday, and fell in love with it.
Bought it on Bandcamp and realized it had Acapella & Stems Studio included.
So I made a remix of it.

I wrote the The Weeknd and asked if I can upload it on Youtube and Soundcloud; now I am waiting.
But I realized A LOT of unofficial remixes on Youtube, not being blocked or muted.
I know, a remix is not a cover song, it includes often copyrighted material.

But how come so many unofficial remixes are online?
I am not complaining, I am just asking.
Is there a hidden secret to it? :D

Thanks!
"Music is a place to take refuge. It's a sanctuary from mediocrity and boredom. It's innocent and it's a place you can lose yourself in thoughts, memories and intricacies."

PhillipOrdonez

04 Nov 2021

You discovered it yesterday? That's kind of amazing. More amazing than the unofficial remixes. I have no idea how those work on YouTube 😂

Ukho

04 Nov 2021

I know, I read it is from 2020! :D
"Music is a place to take refuge. It's a sanctuary from mediocrity and boredom. It's innocent and it's a place you can lose yourself in thoughts, memories and intricacies."

PhillipOrdonez

04 Nov 2021

What kind of music do you normally listen to?

BumCuddle

04 Nov 2021

I think it is absolutely hit or miss whether copyrighted material is allowed on youtube.
Even if you get permission from the group there are multiple shady companies claiming copyright on material that isn't even theirs.
If it was me I'd just upload it and see what happens.

Ukho

04 Nov 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
04 Nov 2021
What kind of music do you normally listen to?
I am a big fan of film scores. But generally, I listen to everything! Not matter if it is Aphex twin or Modern Talking; you get the idea! :D
If I like it, I like it.

Ukho

04 Nov 2021

BumCuddle wrote:
04 Nov 2021
I think it is absolutely hit or miss whether copyrighted material is allowed on youtube.
Even if you get permission from the group there are multiple shady companies claiming copyright on material that isn't even theirs.
If it was me I'd just upload it and see what happens.
I thought about it, but I do not want to come across as disrespectful to the artist.
If it would be just the drumloop, I would not mind that much, but I used a little bit more.

pushedbutton

04 Nov 2021

Usually, if it's from a music label that knows how to make money, they'll flag your video as their content but allow you to continue to have the video on your channel. This means they'll take the ad revenue and you can leave the content online without further penalties. 90% of the time this is done by a bot so it's rarely a human making these decisions.
You can contest this if you feel it is sufficiently transformative but this probably isn't wise in most cases as you're basically saying you're willing to go to court to defend your position.
If they really hate your remix they can force you to take it down and you could end up with a copyright strike on your channel, but this is less likely in the current market.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Ukho

04 Nov 2021

pushedbutton wrote:
04 Nov 2021
Usually, if it's from a music label that knows how to make money, they'll flag your video as their content but allow you to continue to have the video on your channel. This means they'll take the ad revenue and you can leave the content online without further penalties. 90% of the time this is done by a bot so it's rarely a human making these decisions.
You can contest this if you feel it is sufficiently transformative but this probably isn't wise in most cases as you're basically saying you're willing to go to court to defend your position.
If they really hate your remix they can force you to take it down and you could end up with a copyright strike on your channel, but this is less likely in the current market.
I wrote the artist and asked for permission. Not sure if he or his team are going to answer.

The idea was/is to create a Youtube/Soundcloud channel and put it online, because I think it is not that bad.
Not a second was I thinking about "monetizing" or activating advertising, I just want to share it.
If the remix should ever be drawing attention to me and my music, that would be more more the purpose or goal.

So you think I should give it a try?

Baylo

04 Nov 2021

Often it doesn't matter whether you intend to monetize it or not - the record company making the copyright claim can decide to run ads on your video anyway and get the revenue.

Benedict
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2021

Technically it is a breach any/every time you use someone else's performance in yours without permission. The Eagles label allow nothing that isn't cleared as I found with my electronic cover of Hotel California.

However as Mr Button pointed out, it depends on the copyright holder and how they want to manage these things. I know Jarre was happy for people who did (endless) covers of Oxygene/Equinoxe and even told YT to stop canning them. This is because he knows that covers keep/bring interest in the original.

Seeing the act/label gave away stems, it might indicate that they will have hoped to flood the internet with that song, with hope that it leads people back to the original (seeing most of the derivative works will be inferior - and if one really fires, it can be signed).

So be very open and honest in the post that this is where the track originates and that this is a fan thing and not an official release for sale.

Probably you will not be touched - or at most get a copyright claim that leaves your video intact to play.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

pushedbutton

05 Nov 2021

Ukho wrote:
04 Nov 2021
pushedbutton wrote:
04 Nov 2021
Usually... in the current market.
I wrote the artist and asked for permission. Not sure if he or his team are going to answer.

The idea was/is to create a Youtube/Soundcloud channel and put it online, because I think it is not that bad.
Not a second was I thinking about "monetizing" or activating advertising, I just want to share it.
If the remix should ever be drawing attention to me and my music, that would be more more the purpose or goal.

So you think I should give it a try?
I think it should already be online.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

plaamook

07 Nov 2021

Ukho wrote:
04 Nov 2021
...I do not want to come across as disrespectful to the artist.
Not disrespectful at all. It's paying homage to something you're inspired by. There's a long tradition of this.
Remixes are how we electronic folk do covers, that's all.
They should feel flattered.
I do/would
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Auryn

07 Nov 2021

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've used a ton of uncleared samples in music I put up on soundcloud and youtube, nobody gives a peep. Perhaps if one were to go viral I might get a angry email, but really who cares. As long as I've know electronic music, it's been made by cutting up other people's stuff. A lot of the biggest artists got started that way (prodigy, chemical brothers, fatboy slim etc etc etc) so unless you want to argue that electronic music has been an ongoing excercise in disrespect, just don't worry about it
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

jam-s

07 Nov 2021

As long as you don't want to sell the track (that's the point when the lawyers get involved), it should be fine. If I remember the TOS of youtube correctly, there might even be a passage that explicitly allows remixes if the source material is available on the platform, but you should read if that's (still?) the case.

Ukho

07 Nov 2021

Well, I guess I am going to check TOS of Youtube, and put it online the next week. :)

Ukho

08 Nov 2021

I put a Soundcloud link of my remix up here at "Reason Music".
It is still work in progress, but I want to get some opinions...
Let me know what ya think of it, if you have a little time to spend? :)

Thanks!

• Information