Amalgam FM / Substractive synth released

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Skullture

03 Nov 2021

New Eksperimental sounds goodness - this one looks good!

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

huggermugger

03 Nov 2021

beautiful UI

eusti

03 Nov 2021

So pretty again!!! 😍

D.

ekss
RE Developer

03 Nov 2021

Happy you like the gui!

Here’s a (long) video going through all the patches so you can get an idea of how it sounds:

eusti

03 Nov 2021

:redface:
ekss wrote:
03 Nov 2021
Happy you like the gui!
No doubt for me that you are making the most visually pleasing devices! It’s always a pleasure to look at them. Even bought some of your earlier combinators because that are gorgeous!!!

D.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2021

eusti wrote:
03 Nov 2021

No doubt for me that you are making the most visually pleasing devices! It’s always a pleasure to look at them. Even bought some of your earlier combinators because that are gorgeous!!!
100% second this. Ekks designs have the personality, beauty and feel that brought me into Reason 20 years ago and I wish RS would have maintained. Their latest stuff isn't bad, and some of them really can't be rendered in this style (my mind goes to Algoritm), but it is stepping away from that skeuomorphism trait made Reason... REASON.

Btw, just downloaded the trial and I am already in love with Amalgam!

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2021

Some very nice sounds in this vid. Simple but lovely tones

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Faastwalker

03 Nov 2021

I feel like I need another soft synth like a need a hole in my head. But this sounds very interesting and I almost want it just for how nice it looks! Stunning GUI :thumbup:

kbard

04 Nov 2021

This synth not only looks good but sounds good as well judging by the video. I am going to try it over the weekend and enjoy it. His synths (I own a bundle) are substantially different sounding like they have some sort of personality in a way that they simply do not sound generic (to me).

Last time I felt that was only with VK-2 (and their synths).

Highly recommending anything from EKSS.

Faastwalker

04 Nov 2021

....... Just hit TRY. I like it a lot. But the controls are very small and the labels hard to read at my usual Application Zoom of 110%.

Looks amazing at 160% upwards. But then everything else is TOO BIG! Makes me want Device Zoom in addition to Application Zoom even more :thumbs_up:

Benedict
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2021

I think the trend in GUI designing is to design them at 8k so they look uber amazing, then downscale them for release. It makes them look super in fragment close-ups on the website (or zoom like Cherry does) but not so much when in normal 1080p usage. Form over function.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

VariableX

04 Nov 2021

gotta agree it looks fantastic!

Ottostrom

04 Nov 2021

It's beautiful and would be nice to have but I need to save my money for the Sadist Saturation / Distortion device cause that is something I actually need!
But great job from Ekss once again :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
04 Nov 2021
It's beautiful and would be nice to have but I need to save my money for the Sadist Saturation / Distortion device cause that is something I actually need!
Get yourself some porridge and buy them both. Telling you man. Filling, cheap and nutritious. I’ve been feeding my kids it for breakfast, lunch and dinner for nearly a year now.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ekss
RE Developer

04 Nov 2021

Benedict wrote:
04 Nov 2021
I think the trend in GUI designing is to design them at 8k so they look uber amazing, then downscale them for release. It makes them look super in fragment close-ups on the website (or zoom like Cherry does) but not so much when in normal 1080p usage. Form over function.

This one is developed with the pre-HD SDK, it's made to look ok in lo-res Reason11 - so I've used the same fonts and sizes as in most of my other REs :puf_smile:

Ottostrom

04 Nov 2021

MrFigg wrote:
04 Nov 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
04 Nov 2021
Get yourself some porridge and buy them both. Telling you man. Filling, cheap and nutritious. I’ve been feeding my kids it for breakfast, lunch and dinner for nearly a year now.
I already live on porridge and karelska piroger so I don't think I can save much more on food :lol:
Big bonus for serving it to your kids as every meal is that you save a fortune on dental care since they don't really need teeth anymore!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
04 Nov 2021
MrFigg wrote:
04 Nov 2021

I already live on porridge and karelska piroger so I don't think I can save much more on food :lol:
Big bonus for serving it to your kids as every meal is that you save a fortune on dental care since they don't really need teeth anymore!
Hahaha. I pulled them all out years ago and sold them to Belgian gypsies to use in their magical practices.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dusan.cani

04 Nov 2021

How is it possible to achieve global vibrato to the sound ? I didn't find option to modulate the fine tune of the resulting patch.

And does the "pan" control behave correctly ? Because if the chorus is engaged, the final output is not panned to the left or right channel..
Last edited by dusan.cani on 04 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

04 Nov 2021

Looks great.

However, have to say this to Reason Studio's, this is the annoying thing I wish they'd change about trials. I really want to try this out but because there's only one 1 months trial, because I haven't got the cash right now to buy this but I have time to explore this synth today, when I do have the cash, say in 6 months, I'll have forgotten or only have a vague recollection of what the synth can do. It'd make far better business sense to offer 5 1 day trials instead of a month. It would also encourage people to (with only having 1 day at a time) to really consider choosing a day where you have plenty of free time and to make better use of that time using the device and exploring it's capabilities a bit more thoroughly. This happened to me a few months ago when I wanted to buy a delay, I was looking the Tape Echo Ekssperimental one and then realised I'd already trialled it (perhaps I was drunk lol!) and had absolutely no recollection of it so had to rule it out as I'm certainly not buying something without trialling it first, but at the time of purchase I mean.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

ekss
RE Developer

04 Nov 2021

dusan.cani wrote:
04 Nov 2021
How is it possible to achieve global vibrato to the sound ? I didn't find option to modulate the fine tune of the resulting patch.

And does the "pan" control behave correctly ? Because if the chorus is engaged, the final output is not panned to the left or right channel..
You can modulate the pitch of OP1 (set Source to LFO1 and Mod to either positive or negative amount. Just a few percentage is usually enough.
(this will effect OP2+OP3 too). To balance the signal you probably want to adjust the fine tuning in the opposite direction. Engaging the PW OSC is a tip for a stable reference tone.

All the effects including Chorus (which is stereo) is applied after panning.

dusan.cani

04 Nov 2021

ekss wrote:
04 Nov 2021

You can modulate the pitch of OP1 (set Source to LFO1 and Mod to either positive or negative amount. Just a few percentage is usually enough.
(this will effect OP2+OP3 too). To balance the signal you probably want to adjust the fine tuning in the opposite direction. Engaging the PW OSC is a tip for a stable reference tone.
I noticed that pitch can be modulated in OP1 section. However, the tooltip says "OP1 - Tune Mod" and it's located within OP1 section, so I initially thought that it applies only for OP1. Global vibrato for all oscillators (including PW, Sub and Sine) would be very nice and useful.

Anyway, the synth sounds really good. I have fun with it while designing and playing sounds. A lot of different and innovative timbre shaping can be achieved. Another very useful feature would be post filter polyphonic distortion with several modes.

ekss
RE Developer

04 Nov 2021

dusan.cani wrote:
04 Nov 2021
ekss wrote:
04 Nov 2021

I noticed that pitch can be modulated in OP1 section. However, the tooltip says "OP1 - Tune Mod" and it's located within OP1 section, so I initially thought that it applies only for OP1. Global vibrato for all oscillators (including PW, Sub and Sine) would be very nice and useful.

Anyway, the synth sounds really good. I have fun with it while designing and playing sounds. A lot of different and innovative timbre shaping can be achieved. Another very useful feature would be post filter polyphonic distortion with several modes.
OP2&3 is always relative to the pitch of OP1, so if you have them set to ratio 1:1 they are the same pitch, regardless if you change tuning.
You can set pitch vibrato on the Sine oscillator too with the mod and source sliders. Make sure they are linked to tune and not level with the horizontal switch below the knob. I’ll consider a way to add it to PW OSC section in a future update!

dusan.cani

04 Nov 2021

ekss wrote:
04 Nov 2021
I’ll consider a way to add it to PW OSC section in a future update!
Great !

arnigretar

04 Nov 2021

Testing 1, 2 ..3! Sounds and looks great :thumbup:

https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Faastwalker

04 Nov 2021

ekss wrote:
04 Nov 2021
Benedict wrote:
04 Nov 2021

This one is developed with the pre-HD SDK, it's made to look ok in lo-res Reason11 - so I've used the same fonts and sizes as in most of my other REs :puf_smile:
It does look amazing, especially (as I said earlier) when zoomed up quite a bit. Makes tweaking and programming much nicer as well. Looked very tiny when I went back down to my regular 110%. But then again most things did! I use this zoom level as I don’t want the rest of Reason blown up!

I really hope RS implement device zoom. Just makes so much more sense. Does anyone want the entire DAW enlarged? Unless for accessibility reasons of course. Not sure device zoom will happen though, as the focus seems to be on the plug-in rather than the DAW these days.

Anyway, I digress. Brilliant RE all round :thumbup:

• Information