Player Bug Pattern Mutator

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Billy+

01 Nov 2021

so I've been working on a collection of rhythms for pattern mutator after adding a scales and chords device to the stack to generate chords using the patterns transposed via midi the first loop of the pattern is completely wrong.

have anyone else tried and or experienced this issue ?

https://sendvid.com/739tqhzh

here is a screenshot of the bounced midi from the stack, its a 4 bar pattern repeated 3 times, as you can see the 2nd and 3rd loop is correct but the first 4 bars is always broken..
Bounced midi.png
Bounced midi.png (6.51 KiB) Viewed 10647 times
Last edited by Billy+ on 15 Dec 2021, edited 3 times in total.

buddard
RE Developer

01 Nov 2021

Thanks for reporting!

I can't seem to view your video on my Mac, though (don't know why, Quicktime starts converting the video and then fails), any chance you could post it to Youtube or similar?
Is Scales & Chords connected before or after Mutator in the stack?
Would it be possible to share a Combinator patch (v1 or v2 doesn't matter) that reproduces the problem?

Billy+

01 Nov 2021

Hi thanks for the reply,

The video was straight out of obs as a mkv file if that helps. I don't have a YouTube account.

The scales and chords device was after pattern Mutator.

I've shutdown for this evening but can pm you the project file sometime tomorrow if that helps?

Zerosity

01 Nov 2021

I uploaded Billy's video to an online service that will play the video for you Buddard.

https://www.veed.io/download/1c3aee98-a ... 84b6353c87

buddard
RE Developer

02 Nov 2021

Thanks for the video!

So if I understand correctly you're playing a sequence in Mutator through a Scales & Chord, while transposing the Mutator from the sequencer track?
It seems that what happens in the beginning is that the first note arrives at Mutator before it has received the RUN command from Reason. If it all happens in the same batch it should be possible to fix it in Mutator (by forcing the RUN state to be checked before note on/off, even if they arrive in the "wrong" order), but if the notes arrive in an earlier batch it might not...
I'll take a closer look at this and try to set up a few different cases.

Cheers!

Billy+

02 Nov 2021

buddard wrote:
02 Nov 2021
Thanks for the video!

So if I understand correctly you're playing a sequence in Mutator through a Scales & Chord, while transposing the Mutator from the sequencer track?
It seems that what happens in the beginning is that the first note arrives at Mutator before it has received the RUN command from Reason. If it all happens in the same batch it should be possible to fix it in Mutator (by forcing the RUN state to be checked before note on/off, even if they arrive in the "wrong" order), but if the notes arrive in an earlier batch it might not...
I'll take a closer look at this and try to set up a few different cases.

Cheers!
correct, check your pm's for project.

Edit :- recreated the same project file including pattern and midi you should now have two examples.

and it you can find a bug and need to update Mutator is there any chance you can bump the steps to 128 ;)
Last edited by Billy+ on 02 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

02 Nov 2021

Just realised that the project I sent you is set to C which may work better than the video however if you change the input midi and scale you will start to get incorrect results, probably should have sent the exact file in the video but I didn't save it as it was me trying to figure out if it was something I was doing wrong.

Which does suggest it's more of a problem when the input midi used to transpose the pattern is potentially where the issues stems from?

All the patterns I've created are using C3 as I wanted the patterns to transpose via the input note so didn't include any pitch variation just the rhythm.

Billy+

02 Nov 2021

Zerosity wrote:
01 Nov 2021
I uploaded Billy's video to an online service that will play the video for you Buddard.

https://www.veed.io/download/1c3aee98-a ... 84b6353c87
Thanks for doing that :thumbs_up:

buddard
RE Developer

02 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
02 Nov 2021
and it you can find a bug and need to update Mutator is there any chance you can bump the steps to 128 ;)
But the step display is just 2 digits, so that's impossible. :lol:

Fun fact: The step limit was 64 in the original spec.

Billy+

02 Nov 2021

buddard wrote:
02 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
02 Nov 2021

Yes but that's a bug I would use (two digit display with 128 steps)

64 would be less annoying than 99 as it's 4 bars of 16th rather than short of 8 bars lol.

jam-s

02 Nov 2021

buddard wrote:
02 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
02 Nov 2021

Can't you simply put a "1" which can light up in front of it for steps >=100? No need for a whole digit there.

rootwheel

03 Nov 2021

jam-s wrote:
02 Nov 2021
buddard wrote:
02 Nov 2021

Can't you simply put a "1" which can light up in front of it for steps >=100? No need for a whole digit there.
There's easily room for three digits in there :)
device-patternmutator-front1-web_K86hbS8__na4P8he.png.10000x10000_q85.png
device-patternmutator-front1-web_K86hbS8__na4P8he.png.10000x10000_q85.png (249.03 KiB) Viewed 10396 times

jam-s

03 Nov 2021

rootwheel wrote:
03 Nov 2021
jam-s wrote:
02 Nov 2021

There's easily room for three digits in there :)

device-patternmutator-front1-web_K86hbS8__na4P8he.png.10000x10000_q85.png
That's exactly how I would imagine it. Just put the two bars for the 1 there. No need to reserve the space for a full virtual 7 segment digit there.

Billy+

19 Nov 2021

Any news on the fix yet?

buddard
RE Developer

20 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
19 Nov 2021
Any news on the fix yet?
No, right now I'm working full time on other projects that have very aggressive deadlines. I have to finish those before I can start working on anything else.

As a temporary workaround, you could set Playback Mode to KEY and make sure that the chords overlap a little bit in the MIDI clip (to prevent the pattern from starting over). It's not perfect, but it should work in the example you gave me.

But yes, I'm going to address this when I have some more time on my hands. :puf_smile:

buddard
RE Developer

08 Dec 2021

Billy+ wrote:
19 Nov 2021
Any news on the fix yet?
Mutator 1.0.2 is in the shop now! :D

Billy+

08 Dec 2021

buddard wrote:
08 Dec 2021
Billy+ wrote:
19 Nov 2021
Any news on the fix yet?
That's excellent news :thumbup:

Did you test it with all the patterns I sent?

If so and they all worked with the transpose function I will post them for others to play with ;)

buddard
RE Developer

08 Dec 2021

Billy+ wrote:
08 Dec 2021
buddard wrote:
08 Dec 2021

If so and they all worked with the transpose function I will post them for others to play with ;)
I've tested the ChordsToRhythm project you sent me, and although it still doesn't play any chords (since the input to Mutator is monophonic) it no longer passes through the chord on the first beat.

I couldn't figure out what to do with NoteRhythms -- Nothing happens when I press play, and I also couldn't find any instances of Mutator in the rack? -- So I'll leave that one as an exercise for you. ;)

PhillipOrdonez

08 Dec 2021

I thought mutator could handle several notes at once? I thought I saw that in action on one of rs streams? Or am I misunderstanding what you mean, buddard? 🤔

Billy+

08 Dec 2021

buddard wrote:
08 Dec 2021
Billy+ wrote:
08 Dec 2021

I've tested the ChordsToRhythm project you sent me, and although it still doesn't play any chords (since the input to Mutator is monophonic) it no longer passes through the chord on the first beat.

I couldn't figure out what to do with NoteRhythms -- Nothing happens when I press play, and I also couldn't find any instances of Mutator in the rack? -- So I'll leave that one as an exercise for you. ;)
No worries - the project in the zip file was a copy of all the individual patterns as midi with labels as such each block was muted but was a reference for the actual patch files i.e. The rhythms

But I will hopefully do a test tomorrow.

Billy+

08 Dec 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
08 Dec 2021
I thought mutator could handle several notes at once? I thought I saw that in action on one of rs streams? Or am I misunderstanding what you mean, buddard? 🤔
It can

I was using the transpose function to modify the patterns which causes an issue for the first play of a pattern... watch the video above and you will see the bug...

buddard
RE Developer

08 Dec 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
08 Dec 2021
Sorry, I realise that I was a bit vague!

Yes, you can record polyphonically into Mutator.
What I meant was that when you have MIDI Transpose active and play chords, only the highest note will be used to transpose Mutator.
So you can't play multiple instances of the pattern at different pitches.
I hope this clears things up. :puf_smile:

PhillipOrdonez

09 Dec 2021

Thanks for clearing that up!

challism

09 Dec 2021

buddard wrote:
08 Dec 2021
Billy+ wrote:
08 Dec 2021

Thanks for fixing this bug, Robotic Bean! I've marked the thread as solved and moved to "Rack Extensions" forum, as this is an RE.

Now.... if you can please address that 99 step max value situation, we would appreciate it greatly! :)

Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Billy+

09 Dec 2021

Not sure who changed the status to solved but as the op I haven't checked yet and although the initial discussion covers one patch the collection I have built was far more and will take time to test before I can confirm.

Appreciate the developers response time and update but it would be better if I had been able to confirm that the fix is as expected across the entire collection.

Don't wish to upset anyone and it was on my todo list sometime over the next few days :thumbup:

• Information