Are you going to renew?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
RabidMusic

29 Oct 2021

I took the half price offer and signed up for a year of Reason +. I already owned A LOT of extra plugins so I don't feel I am getting much out of the subscription. I'm thinking when I year is up I will just go back to using Reason 11, wait for 13, then buy the upgrade rather than paying full price for future years of the subscription. The subscription might be fine for a new user with no plugins already in the bank, but it feels like a waste to me. What are your thoughts?

EnochLight

29 Oct 2021

RabidMusic wrote:
29 Oct 2021
The subscription might be fine for a new user with no plugins already in the bank, but it feels like a waste to me. What are your thoughts?
I mean, if you already own a ton of plugins and see little to no value in everything that comes with R+, then it begs the question why you bought a sub at all (even though it was heavily discounted)? But yeah, for new users with little to no plugins, R+ is actually a pretty decent deal IMHO, even at full price. Assuming you can afford $240 USD/year and don't have a philosophical issue with subscription services, that is. But then there's the Companion content - if you're a fan of curated content that is supplied weekly, then that does add a bit of value.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ravasb

29 Oct 2021

The fault is all my, but the subscription was a huge mistake. I own 11 and a number of the plugins, but I really overestimated the value that I would eventually get. The road map validated the fact that I never should have gone the subscription route. The curated content is okay. I should have just bought 12 when it was $129. The new annual upgrade price is more than I want to pay.

Again the fault is mine, but as much as I really like Reason, their ever shifting and confusing business model does not make me happy. I have been using Reason since version 2 and still like it, but it is going to be a while before I sink any more money in it.

eusti

29 Oct 2021

Just saw this today in the Manhattan Guitar Center…
Attachments
CF29BF35-1178-46A9-A64D-D8A0DE50D54F.jpeg
CF29BF35-1178-46A9-A64D-D8A0DE50D54F.jpeg (348.72 KiB) Viewed 2695 times

guitfnky

29 Oct 2021

price is for intro, but the box is for Suite. maybe some one’ll get lucky.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

DaveyG

29 Oct 2021

eusti wrote:
29 Oct 2021
Ticket says Reason Intro.
Box says Reason Suite.

gullum

29 Oct 2021

after a year of subscription going back might very well become a no go as all you did make during the subscription wont open in Reason 11, so if that matters to you then your out of luck unless your fork out for the regular Reason 12 to continue using your work without subscription

ravasb

29 Oct 2021

gullum wrote:
29 Oct 2021
after a year of subscription going back might very well become a no go as all you did make during the subscription wont open in Reason 11, so if that matters to you then your out of luck unless your fork out for the regular Reason 12 to continue using your work without subscription
That is why I render out all the stems of what I am working on. I was really hoping to feel much better about the subscription. Totally my fault for subscribing based on wishful thinking and fantasy.

eusti

29 Oct 2021

guitfnky wrote:
29 Oct 2021
price is for intro, but the box is for Suite. maybe some one’ll get lucky.
DaveyG wrote:
29 Oct 2021
Ticket says Reason Intro.
Box says Reason Suite.
Nice catch! I was just very quickly in and out of there and posted via mobile...
Thanks!!!

D.

Steedus
Competition Winner

30 Oct 2021

Nah. I've decided at least for the time being that no it's not worth it for me so I've already bought the 12 update (because I had already started lots of songs in R+ and can't open them in R11 Suite). I'll take another look at what to do come version 13, but it will all depend on how many more extra devices they release in that time.

zabukowski

31 Oct 2021

Yes i will renew, hopefully i will catch some discount. Anyway, i like the whole Reason thing moving on, progressing, packs releases, feeling that i am "on the right train" :)

#positive

willy_dinglefinger

31 Oct 2021

Na I don't think I'll renew, at least not any time soon.

I really liked using Reason over the years, it's a great piece of software and feels good to use. However I switched to Linux earlier this year and use Renoise and Reaper for music and to be honest I'm just happier with that.

I still read this forum and try keep an ear to the tracks for Reason generally but I can't see myself going back to Reason and/or renewing.
Hypernormalise forum signatures :reason:

Lancaster

31 Oct 2021

I made the decision to buy the RE’s which were not in the suite. Pretty handy with that offer that came along!

I do like the packs but I realised when a new version of reason comes out I can demo reason+ again and download a whole bunch of sounds to keep me busy. Probably a bit cheeky but then it kind of offsets the fact there is no other way to purchase the packs.

avasopht
Competition Winner

31 Oct 2021

eusti wrote:
29 Oct 2021
Bruv, if you can get that for $99, buy it and I'll give you $150 for it IMMEDIATELY 👍

Serious request here. I'll cover any additional PayPal fee or whatever.

avasopht
Competition Winner

31 Oct 2021

I didn't renew. Until the bugs are sorted out, R+ and R12 are a no for me.

pushedbutton

31 Oct 2021

Didn't bite in the first place.
There was no point trailing something I wasn't going to buy into.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Barriott

01 Nov 2021

I don't know. I'm in kind of in the same place as you. Thought I'd try it out for £99. I've been whelmed by it. I actually think r12s quite good. The high Res update would be difficult to live without now. I don't own mimic, pattern mutator and the string rack.

If anything the subscription has made me think I should have just ploughed the £££s Into buying stuff. At the moment I think I'm going to wait untill r12 is discounted. Black Friday or January they might. And then get pattern mutator. Not really bothered about friktion.

For me it really depends what they're going to add. Or what they intend to do with the subscription. At the moment I, personally, don't feel like I'm getting value for money. Still got 6 months of the sub. See how it pans out

eusti

24 Nov 2021

avasopht wrote:
31 Oct 2021
eusti wrote:
29 Oct 2021
Bruv, if you can get that for $99, buy it and I'll give you $150 for it IMMEDIATELY 👍

Sorry, I just saw this!

D.

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2021

eusti wrote:
24 Nov 2021
avasopht wrote:
31 Oct 2021

Sorry, I just saw this!

D.
No worries ;)

I realized that all I wanted out of Reason 11 Suite was:
1. Complex
2. Parsec (sort of, because I've got NI's equivalent)

There are some other good things in there, but I've got quite a lot already and haven't opened Reason for a few months now (it's not even installed on my desktop).

In a nutshell, I'm not too worried about R11 Suite anymore.

Steedus
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2021

Lol I had suite but did the half price subscription. But after realising it wasn’t for me I then bought the 12 upgrade and then bought the pack of pattern mutator, friktion, and algoritm. $$$$ not the smartest haha oh well.

But I said it in another thread, if RS we’re coming out with devices at a rate similar to ekss then R+ would be a no brainer.

• Information