Is there an update schedule?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
plaamook

24 Oct 2021

Billy+ wrote:
19 Oct 2021
You seriously must be a very upbeat person to have come up with that list and be ok about it :clap:
After another random crash, I gotta tell you I'm feeling a little less upbeat. :lol:
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Billy+

25 Oct 2021

plaamook wrote:
24 Oct 2021
Billy+ wrote:
19 Oct 2021
You seriously must be a very upbeat person to have come up with that list and be ok about it :clap:
After another random crash, I gotta tell you I'm feeling a little less upbeat. :lol:
Got to say that R12 is the only version that I have removed from a system and I wasn't getting anywhere near the amount of problems that others are reporting, I'm definitely not running out to buy a license anytime soon.

Maybe I will take another look in the new year. (Maybe).

plaamook

25 Oct 2021

Billy+ wrote:
25 Oct 2021
plaamook wrote:
24 Oct 2021

Got to say that R12 is the only version that I have removed from a system and I wasn't getting anywhere near the amount of problems that others are reporting, I'm definitely not running out to buy a license anytime soon.

Yeah, save yourself billy!
It’s too late for me. The new combi, the stretch algorithm in mimic, 80% zoom...I can’t go back.
I got another assert today.
I’m just lost at sea at this point.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Billy+

25 Oct 2021

plaamook wrote:
25 Oct 2021
Billy+ wrote:
25 Oct 2021

Yeah, save yourself billy!
It’s too late for me. The new combi, the stretch algorithm in mimic, 80% zoom...I can’t go back.
I got another assert today.
I’m just lost at sea at this point.
Well thankfully I was only interested in combinator v2 so it's not a great loss. Although I'm hoping that when vst3 support gets added that RS also implements the missing vst midi routing and pass through for 2.4 & 3 devices.

stratatonic

25 Oct 2021

rootwheel wrote:
24 Oct 2021
earwig83 wrote:
23 Oct 2021
Don't get me wrong, they will survive... but overall brand affinity will never be the same unless they course correct.
At least the Propellerhead brand is still synonymous with quality and stability :)
In my cynical thinking a ways back, I had thought that Verdane changing names would help out a new buyer if things did ever get really bad. The new buyer would stabilize the company and go back to the trusted Propellerhead name.
But I didn't really think that things would get bad. I didn't buy any of the doomsdayers scenarios. Until this year. I just feel that I gave them money this year so that they could beat last year's revenue numbers. Wot a shitty feeling.

rootwheel

26 Oct 2021

stratatonic wrote:
25 Oct 2021
The new buyer would stabilize the company and go back to the trusted Propellerhead name.
But I didn't really think that things would get bad. I didn't buy any of the doomsdayers scenarios.
I didn't think they'd ever go back to the old name but I thought they'd build on their previous reputation and go from strength to strength, not this ramshackle mess. Overall I'd say that Reason Studios have delivered well in some areas. For example, in terms of new REs and the RRP (and some may argue in terms of Reason+ and its packs, although neither of those appeal to me and I'm not the target market anyway) but in amongst all that work and effort, the core DAW app quality has really just slipped and slipped and slipped. Scant new features since the last proper stable release (Reason 10) but instead a raft of new bugs introduced with each new version, initially in Reason 11 (which still contains bugs which will now forever remain unfixed there) and now even more bugs introduced in Reason 12 - some as a side effect of the graphic engine rewrite but others it seems just due to sloppy un-tested code and a rushed release.

I really hope they can get back on track.

stratatonic

26 Oct 2021

rootwheel wrote:
26 Oct 2021
stratatonic wrote:
25 Oct 2021
The new buyer would stabilize the company and go back to the trusted Propellerhead name.
But I didn't really think that things would get bad. I didn't buy any of the doomsdayers scenarios.
I didn't think they'd ever go back to the old name but I thought they'd build on their previous reputation and go from strength to strength, not this ramshackle mess.
Well, I meant that a new owner would go back to Propellerhead name, not the current ownership.
rootwheel wrote:
26 Oct 2021
I really hope they can get back on track.
You and me, both. Getting a bug free stable, efficient Reason 12 is a start, but some killer workflow features will go a long way.

(Although we'll probably see new paid devices before that though - even though workflow and devices are both "under investigation" on the current roadmap).

Social Exodus

26 Oct 2021

earwig83 wrote:
21 Oct 2021
Sadly RS will never dig themselves out of this. It has been steady decline.
Nonsense. Anything can be fixed if effort is put in and they are at present promising that effort. I'm giving them a chance to prove themselves and it only cost me $114 to do that via the JRR Shop FORUM code and $129 price tag.

As for my experience, I haven't had any crashes, I do notice that some of the screens like the sequencer aren't high res yet although I do only have a pair of HD monitors that I've no intention of upgrading. I like the zoom because I have older eyes and the carryover tools from R11 Suite work fine so far. I haven't dabbled in Mimic yet, but I do use samplers much anyway.

I DO wish RS would create a page of acknowledged bugs just so they are articulated and it could be seen by all to at least be on their radar somewhere. Unless the list is downright EPIC, I think that would be a great show of goodwill.

As someone who has coded for a living, I sure am glad I am not on this project. It was a bold strategy to put out a product that works, but is unfinished and then raise their prices to boot. That means the limelight is squarely on the development team (and Mattias) to deliver and sooner than later. If they do, trust will return , but if they do happen to fail then I'd say the bell tolls for them.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

Billy+

26 Oct 2021

earwig83 wrote:
21 Oct 2021
Sadly RS will never dig themselves out of this. It has been steady decline.
I do agree that we have seen a decline in Reasons stability and an increasing level of oversight in its original goals (missing automation on controls which translates to missing cmb targets) but they have undertaken a massive project with the new graphics engine in R12 and R10 I believe caused problems with the updated audio engine so given that they have done both of these critical parts over the last few versions and the introduction of RRP in R11 it's understandable that problems are going to cascade.

However it's also a problem that needs addressing and I think the next quote would definitely serve a real world purpose even if it just to simply acknowledge that it's being taken seriously
Social Exodus wrote:
26 Oct 2021
I DO wish RS would create a page of acknowledged bugs just so they are articulated and it could be seen by all to at least be on their radar somewhere. Unless the list is downright EPIC, I think that would be a great show of goodwill.
I think this is an excellent idea especially if some kind of GitHub style status was included in the page, for example:-

(under investigation | confirmed | WIP | completed | fix included in next update)

The roadmap is good to see but if RS included an acknowledgment of what was being taken seriously I for one would reconsider my stance of avoiding the upgrade, at the moment I've completely written off upgrading to R12 as it just one of many versions that have left me feeling like it's broken and I'm fed up with spending money in the hope it will one day work like it once did.

rootwheel

26 Oct 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Oct 2021
Social Exodus wrote:
26 Oct 2021
I think this is an excellent idea especially if some kind of GitHub style status was included in the page, for example:-

(under investigation | confirmed | WIP | completed | fix included in next update)
This is an excellent idea but I fear they wouldn't go for it because they perhaps care too much about their reputation to have an open list of publicly visible outstanding issues with their software.

I guess the counter-argument is that currently their reputation for writing stable software isn't in a good place any more anyway and thus it would be a good move (and in better keeping with this new 'transparency' their big cheese speaks of) to be completely open and transparent about just what is buggy and what they're doing about it...

• Information