Is there an update schedule?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mimidancer

18 Oct 2021

How often will Reason Studios be updating 12? Is there a schedule for the updates that have been promised?

Neo

18 Oct 2021

Attachments
01.png
01.png (52.92 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

mimidancer

19 Oct 2021

I have seen this image. I was wanting to know the patch dates. Is there a standard date? Thanks in advance.

Neo

19 Oct 2021

mimidancer wrote:
19 Oct 2021
I have seen this image. I was wanting to know the patch dates. Is there a standard date? Thanks in advance.
NFI sorry mate. Looking forward to the updates myself.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

plaamook

19 Oct 2021

That image is lacking all the bug fixes. Though I guess if you listed em all it would be illegible.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

DaveyG

19 Oct 2021

That image is a road map rather than a set-in-stone project plan. By their very nature road maps are a broad brush stroke of what's coming up and roughly when it might be. Don't set you alarm clock by it. If there is more bug fixing to be done than they expected than some of that other stuff will slide.

MuttReason

19 Oct 2021

I have a similar question (and was about to create a new thread about it). A difficult question to answer but I'll ask it anyway... what's the ReasonTalk hivemind collective view on how much longer we have to wait before R12 is truly stable? And by "stable" I mean, rock-solid-like-the-Reason-of-old stable? Prior versions of Reason were incredibly dependable IME. Stability used to be such a big USP for the company.

I would define "stable" as (at a minimum)....

1) Reliable authentication on start-up with option of offline authentication. Auth server outages are not great for confidence, and they seem to be more frequent than in the past, and take way longer to be resolved. I relied on the Ignition key for years - it worked great.

2) Rapid program loading once authentication is complete (no hanging on splash screen) and rapid project loading without CPU fan spinning nonsense with visual assets loading snappily (OK, I'll make allowances for caching on first run at each % resolution - even though it's a weird software design choice IMO - but thereafter this should be seamless and instant).

3) Instant searching through all folders and Refills without computer slowing to a crawl (and being able to do so while a project is playing without framerate drops etc).

4) Ability to host virtually all VSTs without crashing... rogue VSTs taking the program down entirely should be a rare exception. And NEVER crashing when in a project which ONLY uses stock RS-created devices and third party REs sold by RS - so in a pure RS-controlled sandbox - with no VSTs at all (so there are no 3rd party coding errors to blame).

5) As a result of 1 through 4... the confidence to start a project, sketch out some ideas for an hour or so, grab a coffee... and only THEN save the project. Yes I know that's a risky approach but the reality is that previous versions of Reason were so stable, you could do this pretty confidently. That's the point.

NONE of the above involves anything new about Reason, from HiRes to Mimic and Combi2. And NONE of the above includes the long list of DAW improvements that are long-awaited (some for years now). It simply means getting Reason back to where it was in the past which was a piece of software you could rely on. The basics, in other words.

I know R12 is close to achieving some of this for some people (based on internet comments at least) but for a lot of people (on this board and on others I see plus YT comments, Reddit etc) the picture doesn't look great. R12 seems to be the Cyberpunk 2077 of music software right now.

And the RS roadmap doesn't answer my question. The stuff on there is good and welcome, but it doesn't address the core stability housekeeping basics. James (and sometime Ryan/Mattias) have acknowledged the problems and said they're working on them... but there's no sense of timeframe. Are we weeks away from a R12 build that equals the stability of prior releases (including offline authentication, to be clear) or is it more realistic to assume months or >1 year from now given that (as RS have said) R12 is a total rewrite of 20 years of underlying code and they've also added Companion to the mix?

I don't mind either way... I will wait if needs be, I've stuck with Reason for 20 years so a few more months (or even a year) to get to a solidly functioning product is frustrating but OK. But it would be useful to know the timeframe. My eyesight is a problem now and I would love to switch to HD (scaled up like all other programs/apps I use these days) so I can see these lovely devices properly. But I won't touch R12 until it's as bombproof as (IME) every earlier version of Reason under the old Propellerheads.

So then ReasonTalk... when will it be safe to jump into the water do we think?

bxbrkrz

19 Oct 2021

MuttReason wrote:
19 Oct 2021
I have a similar question (and was about to create a new thread about it). A difficult question to answer but I'll ask it anyway... what's the ReasonTalk hivemind collective view on how much longer we have to wait before R12 is truly stable? And by "stable" I mean, rock-solid-like-the-Reason-of-old stable? Prior versions of Reason were incredibly dependable IME. Stability used to be such a big USP for the company.

1) Reliable authentication on start-up with option of offline authentication. Auth server outages are not great for confidence, and they seem to be more frequent than in the past, and take way longer to be resolved. I relied on the Ignition key for years - it worked great.

2) Rapid program loading once authentication is complete (no hanging on splash screen) and rapid project loading without CPU fan spinning nonsense with visual assets loading snappily (OK, I'll make allowances for caching on first run at each % resolution - even though it's a weird software design choice IMO - but thereafter this should be seamless and instant).

3) Instant searching through all folders and Refills without computer slowing to a crawl (and being able to do so while a project is playing without framerate drops etc).

4) Ability to host virtually all VSTs without crashing... rogue VSTs taking the program down entirely should be a rare exception. And NEVER crashing when in a project which ONLY uses stock RS-created devices and third party REs sold by RS - so in a pure RS-controlled sandbox - with no VSTs at all (so there are no 3rd party coding errors to blame).

5) As a result of 1 through 4... the confidence to start a project, sketch out some ideas for an hour or so, grab a coffee... and only THEN save the project. Yes I know that's a risky approach but the reality is that previous versions of Reason were so stable, you could do this pretty confidently. That's the point.

NONE of the above involves anything new about Reason, from HiRes to Mimic and Combi2. And NONE of the above includes the long list of DAW improvements that are long-awaited (some for years now). It simply means getting Reason back to where it was in the past which was a piece of software you could rely on. The basics, in other words.

I know R12 is close to achieving some of this for some people (based on internet comments at least) but for a lot of people (on this board and on others I see plus YT comments, Reddit etc) the picture doesn't look great. R12 seems to be the Cyberpunk 2077 of music software right now.

And the RS roadmap doesn't answer my question. The stuff on there is good and welcome, but it doesn't address the core stability housekeeping basics. James (and sometime Ryan/Mattias) have acknowledged the problems and said they're working on them... but there's no sense of timeframe. Are we weeks away from a R12 build that equals the stability of prior releases (including offline authentication, to be clear) or is it more realistic to assume months or >1 year from now given that (as RS have said) R12 is a total rewrite of 20 years of underlying code and they've also added Companion to the mix?

I don't mind either way... I will wait if needs be, I've stuck with Reason for 20 years so a few more months (or even a year) to get to a solidly functioning product is frustrating but OK. But it would be useful to know the timeframe. My eyesight is a problem now and I would love to switch to HD (scaled up like all other programs/apps I use these days) so I can see these lovely devices properly. But I won't touch R12 until it's as bombproof as (IME) every earlier version of Reason under the old Propellerheads.

My pc monitor was too small for Reason. I had to get something bigger. My game theory: get a big, cheap 1080p instead of a more expensive 4K tv to use with Reason. My bet was Prop wasn't ready yet to move to a higher resolution. It was a risky move. Maybe my game theory was all wrong? That was in 2015.
Here is your time frame.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Billy+

19 Oct 2021

MuttReason wrote:
19 Oct 2021
what's the ReasonTalk hivemind collective view on how much longer we have to wait before R12 is truly stable? And by "stable" I mean, rock-solid-like-the-Reason-of-old stable? Prior versions of Reason were incredibly dependable IME. Stability used to be such a big USP for the company.

Im guessing R14 that gives them R12 to fix these needed new features (hidpi search full vst support & auth) with R13 becoming less "agile" allowing for better bug fixes rather than big features paving the way for R14 becoming the rock solid product we used to have :thumbup:

plaamook

19 Oct 2021

Actually in my experience w 12 thus far I’m amazed at how stabile it actually is considering how buggy it is.
Really.
I had some initial probs even loading it but that was due to an osx update I hadn’t done.
I crashed it once proper but beyond that?...it’s twitching like it’s got serious mental health issues but it’s going. I’m working in it. I feel uneasy watching the graphics jidder all over the place but it loads, hasn’t crashed again, etc. Pretty light on the cpu. Sounds like plaamook is pumping out Davy Jones’s Jams as per usual.
Mimic is a bloody mess sadly but it’s sand boxed.
Strange days.

I couldn’t say when I thought it was gonna smooth out. Not my area of expertise. But it doesn’t seem like it needs to be R14.

Or here.

Billy+

19 Oct 2021

plaamook wrote:
19 Oct 2021
Actually in my experience w 12 thus far I’m amazed at how stabile it actually is
considering how buggy it is.
I had some initial probs even loading it
I crashed it once proper
it’s twitching like it’s got serious mental health issues
I feel uneasy watching the graphics jidder all over the place
Mimic is a bloody mess sadly
You seriously must be a very upbeat person to have come up with that list and be ok about it :clap:

Did you get your license for free?

MuttReason

19 Oct 2021

Thanks for responses so far. I’m hoping the answer is quite some time ahead of “Reason 14” (because if RS don’t sort out all of this stuff soon I’m not sure there WILL be a R14…) but also a bit more solid than “it’s still shaky but I guess it’s OK, kinda…”.

Water’s still looking pretty cold at this point!

mimidancer

19 Oct 2021

MuttReason wrote:
19 Oct 2021

Yeah, I see all the tears too. Reason is stable for me. I have no issues logging in and playing whenever I want. I find it easy to use and creative. IT is a modular system. So my start-up file is optimized for the way I use reason. I have no issues with 12. But I don't use it as a plug in. I hate Live. Live is junk IMO. cookie-cutter junk.

plaamook

20 Oct 2021

Billy+ wrote:
19 Oct 2021

You seriously must be a very upbeat person to have come up with that list and be ok about it :clap:

Did you get your license for free?
I got it pretty cheap. JRRShop offer.
Compared to 199 everything’s cheap.

Upbeat? Yeah I guess. They should be ashamed of themselves for releasing 12 but I lost interest in complaining and worrying about it at some point.
Since I don’t want to change platforms being positive and getting behind the mission is my only interesting option.
So I got the logging code and started bug hunting.

But if they don’t stabilise 12 before 13 I’m driving to forking Sweden. They’re gonna hear from me.

Or here.

MuttReason

20 Oct 2021

mimidancer wrote:
19 Oct 2021
Yeah, I see all the tears too. Reason is stable for me. I have no issues logging in and playing whenever I want. I find it easy to use and creative. IT is a modular system. So my start-up file is optimized for the way I use reason. I have no issues with 12. But I don't use it as a plug in. I hate Live. Live is junk IMO. cookie-cutter junk.
I'm hanging on in there in the hope that RS pull this thing back from the bug swamp and get back to where they used to be when they were code gods who wrote rock solid programs. While I actually like and use Live a lot (Push 2 is an incredible bit of kit and changes the whole experience, for me at least) I have gone right off Ableton after their own software launch fiasco (Live 11 was horribly unstable for months, not quite as bad as R12 from what I read but definitely in the same "I can't believe you released this mess" neighbourhood). I've stuck with L10 as a result, but Live has never gelled with me like Reason did back in the day. When R12 was announced I saw it as a possible bridge back to Reason as my main DAW (my eyesight isn't as good as it was so HD scaling matters a lot to me)... then this board (and everywhere else on the interwebs) filled up with some pretty shocking instability woes.

plaamook

20 Oct 2021

MuttReason wrote:
20 Oct 2021
mimidancer wrote:
19 Oct 2021
I'm hanging on in there in the hope that RS pull this thing back from the bug swamp and get back to where they used to be when they were code gods who wrote rock solid programs. While I actually like and use Live a lot (Push 2 is an incredible bit of kit and changes the whole experience, for me at least) I have gone right off Ableton after their own software launch fiasco (Live 11 was horribly unstable for months, not quite as bad as R12 from what I read but definitely in the same "I can't believe you released this mess" neighbourhood). I've stuck with L10 as a result, but Live has never gelled with me like Reason did back in the day. When R12 was announced I saw it as a possible bridge back to Reason as my main DAW (my eyesight isn't as good as it was so HD scaling matters a lot to me)... then this board (and everywhere else on the interwebs) filled up with some pretty shocking instability woes.
Get the demo. It might work ok for you.
It going well enough for me that, in spite of the bugs, I’ve shifted over from R11 (though not deleted 11 just yet...)

Or here.

earwig83

21 Oct 2021

Sadly RS will never dig themselves out of this. It has been steady decline.

Reminiscence

23 Oct 2021

can't wait for VST3. but the RRP still doesn't work in Acid Pro 10

lowtom

23 Oct 2021

earwig83 wrote:
21 Oct 2021
They will be allright. There was the same vibe when Live 8 dropped back in the day. Many bugs and overpromised features.
RS just need to focus all attention into making Reason bug free, stable, fast and fix all graphic glitches and design inconsistencies.
:reason: :refill: :re:

earwig83

23 Oct 2021

lowtom wrote:
23 Oct 2021
earwig83 wrote:
21 Oct 2021
They will be allright. There was the same vibe when Live 8 dropped back in the day. Many bugs and overpromised features.
RS just need to focus all attention into making Reason bug free, stable, fast and fix all graphic glitches and design inconsistencies.
Don't get me wrong, they will survive... but overall brand affinity will never be the same unless they course correct.

rootwheel

24 Oct 2021

earwig83 wrote:
23 Oct 2021
Don't get me wrong, they will survive... but overall brand affinity will never be the same unless they course correct.
At least the Propellerhead brand is still synonymous with quality and stability :)

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2021

rootwheel wrote:
24 Oct 2021
At least the Propellerhead brand is still synonymous with quality and stability :)
Yes, but soon to become synonymous with the rebranded name we shall not name ;)

Seriously though, once R12 gets its awesomeness upgrades all will be forgotten

plaamook

24 Oct 2021

avasopht wrote:
24 Oct 2021
Seriously though, once R12 gets its awesomeness upgrades all will be forgotten
Quite right. And the sooner the better.
I've got more pressing things to get my knickers knotted over.

Funny little scandiwegian anecdote...
I was doing some kind of location work in the arctic in Norway few years back. Island called Andøya. February and it's way up there near Tromsø.
It snowed like nothing I've ever seen and on the last night before flying out it snowed even more. So much that the big industrial grade ploughs they have there even stopped.
We woke up the next morning wondering if we'd get the flight or if there even was a flight. Nearly a meter of new snow on the road. Dead.
We called the airport, flight was going ahead. We called the taxi and the guy says yeah, I'll get you there, no problem.
Meter of snow, no ploughs right.
So like an hour befoe the flight is meant to leave we're getting nervous. No plough. No taxi. We call the guy again and he's still cool as anything. I'll get you there, no problem.
40 min before the flight the plough is finally coming down the road ploughing a single lane and the fecking taxi is REVERSING down the road after it!!!
We trudge through all the snow, get in the taxi, he burns (slides) up the road to the airport while calling his friend at the airport telling them to hold the plane, which we got on and all was well.

After that I never freaked out again at Norwegians when they're being really cool while the shits flying.
I'm hoping maybe this applies to Swedes too...

Or here.

RoryM0

24 Oct 2021

So we should be expecting a new Reason update in the coming week yes?

• Information