Youtuber uses RRP as a groovebox

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
PhillipOrdonez

21 Oct 2021

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2021

Ummm, it's called a Sequencer. If you'd rather give it a childish name instead, go for it.
Printing a sequence is not new, Tangerine Dream did this to tape since the '70s. Others did it long before.

This fella just realized this - or more likely saw an opportunity to promo his courses - so great. But it is not new, just a fella putting his thumbprint on it with new terms to make it seem modern and clever.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

guitfnky

22 Oct 2021

I guess calling them Players is also a childish name, by that standard. 😅

but yeah, doesn't seem anything particularly new—although I only skimmed the video, so maybe missed something important?
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

chimp_spanner

22 Oct 2021

I really like this guy's channel. You have to bear in mind that he's got to speak to new, upcoming producers who have probably only ever known FL or Live. They've never used tape. They've probably never held the physical thing that the tape recorder icon represents. It might not be a new workflow, but it's new to new producers. And it's also worth remembering for us old timers who have gotten comfortable with the live-processing VST workflow. This video encouraged me to go back and explore ReDrum again and within quarter of an hour I'd printed a live performed ReDrum techno jam to audio and made a whole song.

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Oct 2021

Interesting workflow.

Creativemind

22 Oct 2021

Great. video. Really holds my attention that guy. Might subscribe, sorry, gonna subscribe to his channel.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Tiny Montgomery

22 Oct 2021

I thought this video was great. Obviously everything he did could be done in Reason standalone but the point of the video is the immediacy of Reason's devices and how, like a hardware "groovebox", it is OK just to record the output in order keep the original vibe that was moving you and crack on with the track. I have been doing something similar myself in Ableton but will sometimes stop and think "oh should I start bussing those individual drum channels out of the RRP into Ableton for greater control or tweaking" or similar. In the vid his is a workflow that seems fun and productive and retains a bit of 'grit' and 'vibe'.

Tiny Montgomery

22 Oct 2021

Benedict wrote:
21 Oct 2021
Ummm, it's called a Sequencer. If you'd rather give it a childish name instead, go for it.
Printing a sequence is not new, Tangerine Dream did this to tape since the '70s. Others did it long before.
I think that was partly his point tbh. Get it to 'tape' and work with that audio and keep iterating in the same fashion as our forebears did (with much greater difficulty) with real tape. Ive got better at finishing but its still a challenge tbh, and thats without all the motivation issues that I am sure many of us struggle with, particularly the hobbyists like me. You can bet your life I'll be having a crack at his techniques this weekend!

On the topic of inspiring videos I quite enjoyed Ryan Harlins quick vid this week on Scales and Chords. Came up with a nice progression after following that technique last night.

Jackjackdaw

22 Oct 2021

Not sure what he’s on about Reason not being as precise as Ableton. It’s what you make of it mate. You can be quick and dirty or a perfectionist with anything

Billy+

22 Oct 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Not sure what he’s on about Reason not being as precise as Ableton. It’s what you make of it mate. You can be quick and dirty or a perfectionist with anything
I too wondered what he was going on about and was puzzled why he even used live as everything he showed was more than achievable in Reason, I guess James just gave him a license and no direction?

Or the next marketing strategy is Reason is crude quick and dirty :?

Tiny Montgomery

22 Oct 2021

Billy+ wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Jackjackdaw wrote:
22 Oct 2021
I too wondered what he was going on about and was puzzled why he even used live as everything he showed was more than achievable in Reason, I guess James just gave him a license and no direction?

Or the next marketing strategy is Reason is crude quick and dirty :?
Because its a video aimed primarily at non Reason exclusive users I'd guess and this thread is in the RRP section if you dont mind me saying William.

Billy+

22 Oct 2021

It's a public forum so I was fine until this?
Tiny Montgomery wrote:
22 Oct 2021
William.
Richard ;)

Tiny Montgomery

22 Oct 2021

Billy+ wrote:
22 Oct 2021
It's a public forum so I was fine until this?
Tiny Montgomery wrote:
22 Oct 2021
William.
Richard ;)
Its the RRP section. if you want to be the old time reason user who hangs around it telling every Ableton/FL/Logic/Cubase user how they could do it all in Reason and "whats the point in doing it that way" be my guest mate, I'll be happily making music in one of my two lovely DAWs.

DaveyG

22 Oct 2021

Bouncing stuff down to audio sooner rather than later in the creative process is one of the best pieces of advice I have ever been given. Commit and move on.
I often struggle to follow that advice.

chimp_spanner

22 Oct 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Yeah did think that was a little off. I just chalked it up to poor wording. I bounce pretty regularly between Reason, Live and Cubase and Reason holds its own IMHO.

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Oct 2021

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
22 Oct 2021
I think that was partly his point tbh. Get it to 'tape' and work with that audio and keep iterating in the same fashion as our forebears did (with much greater difficulty) with real tape. Ive got better at finishing but its still a challenge tbh, and thats without all the motivation issues that I am sure many of us struggle with, particularly the hobbyists like me. You can bet your life I'll be having a crack at his techniques this weekend!

On the topic of inspiring videos I quite enjoyed Ryan Harlins quick vid this week on Scales and Chords. Came up with a nice progression after following that technique last night.
I do a similar thing in Reason sometimes.

I'd build a track or a few key loops. Bounce. And then play with it like it's a sample. It's an easy way to mentally move on.

This one came after I decided to reuse the instruments from another Reason track I made. After a few minutes of messing around, I decided to make a reverse reverb effect (I think the audio reverse effect had just been added) and decided to keep it as is.

PhillipOrdonez

22 Oct 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Jackjackdaw wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Yeah did think that was a little off. I just chalked it up to poor wording. I bounce pretty regularly between Reason, Live and Cubase and Reason holds its own IMHO.
I think they meant it in the sense that in live you can have the exact frequency you want and the exact amount of dB that you set in and can see very clearly the exact number of the peak on the meter etc. Whereas in Reason you are forced to use your ears more than your eyes and you are forced to trust your gut feeling. It isn't about Reason not sounding good or anything like that? Sure you can use any plugin like insight and get proper readings in Reason, and unless you know the shift command you are left with broader strokes, which is fine, like I said, forces you to use your ears more and that's a good thing.

Tiny Montgomery

22 Oct 2021

avasopht wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Tiny Montgomery wrote:
22 Oct 2021

I do a similar thing in Reason sometimes.

I'd build a track or a few key loops. Bounce. And then play with it like it's a sample. It's an easy way to mentally move on.

This one came after I decided to reuse the instruments from another Reason track I made. After a few minutes of messing around, I decided to make a reverse reverb effect (I think the audio reverse effect had just been added) and decided to keep it as is.
Oof thats a tight track avasopht, I really like it!

Yeah I agree. Even though I often dont take my own advice, I just think as well as committing, having your parts in audio allows for new ideas and the arrangement to develop more quickly (reversing, warping, transposing, chopping resampling etc)

Tiny Montgomery

22 Oct 2021

DaveyG wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Bouncing stuff down to audio sooner rather than later in the creative process is one of the best pieces of advice I have ever been given. Commit and move on.
I often struggle to follow that advice.

Wish Id read this before posting, just repeated you sorry.

Benedict
Competition Winner

22 Oct 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
22 Oct 2021
You have to bear in mind that he's got to speak to new, upcoming producers who have probably only ever known FL or Live...
All the more reason to give the established terms that have been formalized for decades instead of making up new fllops gkuis splimmy trangy. It sure makes it hard to talk to opkusy when they come talking about ytehdgt in their whydht when they could/should have used the established terms so we all know what we are splinky afubt.

If that paragraph was hard to parse, this is exactly why Doctors & Nurses are forced to use exact terms so they request and hand across the right kind of pointy thing to amputate the gloopy thing.

Otherwise fine, he is showing off a sensible technique.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

PhillipOrdonez

23 Oct 2021

What is the word he's using that's made up according to you? Groovebox? That's a real thing in hardware that's been established for decades. Printing cannot be it cause that's another real thing and you know it's a thing. Then it must be groovebox, and, again, that is also a thing, in case you didn't know. Grooveboxes have sequencers and sound modules and samplers. And he is using the RRP here like a groovebox and live like a tape machine. So I don't get why the disdain for the word. Is it because you aren't familiar with grooveboxes?

guitfnky

23 Oct 2021

Benedict wrote:
22 Oct 2021
chimp_spanner wrote:
22 Oct 2021
You have to bear in mind that he's got to speak to new, upcoming producers who have probably only ever known FL or Live...
All the more reason to give the established terms that have been formalized for decades
2CF66569-112A-4F38-A390-550F8455F306.jpeg
2CF66569-112A-4F38-A390-550F8455F306.jpeg (860.14 KiB) Viewed 11039 times
Phillip is right. approaching 30 years.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2021

guitfnky wrote:
23 Oct 2021
Benedict wrote:
22 Oct 2021

All the more reason to give the established terms that have been formalized for decades

My friend had an mc-303. It was cool.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

23 Oct 2021

MrFigg wrote:
23 Oct 2021
guitfnky wrote:
23 Oct 2021

My friend had an mc-303. It was cool.
nice—I probably would’ve loved to play around with something like that in my younger days. closest I ever got was an Alesis SR-16 drum programmer. sounded like shit (well, maybe not for the time), but wrote a good deal of demos for the band with that thing accompanying me.

MarkTarlton

23 Oct 2021

Still have my mc-303. It was what got me started on writing my own tunes without the band, than rebirth, until Reason came into my life. I also thought the video was worth watching.

• Information