Pianobook, a place for free samples / sample-based instruments

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Trefor

16 Oct 2021

I've just been checking out Pianobook, got the link when watching a YouTube video by Christian Henson of Spitfire. Lots of great samples to check out. Most of them have been uploaded as Kontakt patches, but the samples are still usable in Grain, Mimic and NNXT.
'Pianobook is a global community of samplists who hear music in everything. Sharing sample packs, stories, music, advice and support for free with each other. Begin your sonic adventures here.' https://www.pianobook.co.uk

lecafard

16 Oct 2021

Very very nice sounds here!!!!

sonicbyte

17 Oct 2021

Yep, I use them all the time

Ethan_Music

21 Dec 2021

Just signed up, can I ask as a novice, do I just download them and load them into NNXT or Grain?

Im guessing they are not patches and individual wavs?

Sengin

22 Dec 2021

Ethan_Music wrote:
21 Dec 2021
Just signed up, can I ask as a novice, do I just download them and load them into NNXT or Grain?

Im guessing they are not patches and individual wavs?
Yeah looks like it. If you have Kontakt you can use them with it, but otherwise you'll have to load them into an NNXT sample by sample (I've looked at 2 and both have .wav files).

Edit: looking around, Kontakt might have a free player, meaning you could just download it and use it as a vst in reason

joeyluck

10 Nov 2022

I missed this thread and I'm just discovering Pianobook now. I was browsing the Spitfire site, and they have a link to Pianobook listed under the Free tab. https://www.spitfireaudio.com/pages/free-instruments

I know now that Pianobook was started by Christian Hanson of Spitfire, but I don't remember seeing it featured on the Spitfire site before. Looks like lots to check out!

challism

10 Nov 2022

I missed this thread too. Looks like a lot of great stuff on Pianobook. My hard drive really didn't need me to find this site.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

moneykube

10 Nov 2022

cool... bookmarked for later exploration... sounds interesting
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

jonnyretina

11 Nov 2022

Looks like a really good site and collection. Does anyone have any experience of using their 'Decent Sampler' VST2 within Reason?

joeyluck

11 Nov 2022

jonnyretina wrote:
11 Nov 2022
Looks like a really good site and collection. Does anyone have any experience of using their 'Decent Sampler' VST2 within Reason?
I haven't tried it yet. I have Kontakt, so I've been using that.

joeyluck

11 Nov 2022

challism wrote:
10 Nov 2022
I missed this thread too. Looks like a lot of great stuff on Pianobook. My hard drive really didn't need me to find this site.
Yeah I just updated the title. I think I might have overlooked it before because I'm not usually drawn to collections of samples as much as I am playable instruments.

Some of these became LABS instruments.

Trefor

11 Nov 2022

joeyluck wrote:
11 Nov 2022
jonnyretina wrote:
11 Nov 2022
I haven't tried it yet. I have Kontakt, so I've been using that.
I've loaded Decent Sampler up and it works well in Reason. Sometimes sample loading takes a while though.

homemadenoise

11 Nov 2022

jonnyretina wrote:
11 Nov 2022
I have used it but just to use but just as sample player esstially not what most would think of as a sampler. Maybe a preset player? It at least as of not that long along doesn't have a GUI to make a patch etc. You have to code it. If you just want to play presets it works decent(sorry) and level of control over sound, fx, etc. varies patch to patch.

The is bunch of free quirky keys presets for Decent which is why i like it.

challism

12 Nov 2022

joeyluck wrote:
11 Nov 2022
challism wrote:
10 Nov 2022
Yeah I just updated the title. I think I might have overlooked it before because I'm not usually drawn to collections of samples as much as I am playable instruments.

Some of these became LABS instruments.
This one caught my eye. A playable SAXOPHONE instrument. The GUI looks horrible, but that's something a Combi can fix). The reviews are pretty good. It's cool that you can adjust the sound so much. I agree about sample libraries being pretty uninteresting (other than drum hits, I guess). I'm going to download this and try it out. I've been wanting a good sax in my rack. I keep hoping RS will give us some kind of wind instrument synth, similar to Friktion.

Edit (it looks like there is an image file that can be changed to something else so you don't have to look at this guy's face in your rack - as appreciative as I am for his samples, I don't want his mug in my rack).

https://www.pianobook.co.uk/packs/roaring-saxophone/

sax.jpg
sax.jpg (87.51 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

homemadenoise

12 Nov 2022

challism wrote:
12 Nov 2022
joeyluck wrote:
11 Nov 2022

The GUI looks horrible
Oh, wow I 2nd that there is no accounting for taste.

• Information