Updating the Reason Browser

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Billy+

03 Oct 2021

stratatonic wrote:
01 Oct 2021

:puf_smile: It's OCTOBER ! ! :puf_smile:

Where Is that Browser Update?

Midi Preview as well would make for a decent R12 Browser Update! :)
I would guess that the update will be closer to the end of the month rather than the beginning especially as the latest update was only released a few days ago.

EnochLight

04 Oct 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
03 Oct 2021
Never noticed the Alt+click on the waveform to open the (still old and modal window.... sigh) sample editor. It doesn't work on Kong, though, which is a pity.
Huh? Works fine in Kong when holding down ALT+click over the sample button:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oper-8

04 Oct 2021

I hadn't tried the NN-Nano (it's a bit useless there since there's the "Edit sample" button) - I had only tried the "main" sample area, under the pitch and mod wheels. It doesn't work in that area, unless you first Alt+click a sample in the NN-Nano. Weird !
And their shortcuts are weird anyway, since you get Alt+click on the Waveform knob, but you don't have any "Edit sample" in the pop-up menu if you rght-click that same Waveform knob...
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

EnochLight

04 Oct 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
04 Oct 2021
I hadn't tried the NN-Nano (it's a bit useless there since there's the "Edit sample" button) - I had only tried the "main" sample area, under the pitch and mod wheels. It doesn't work in that area, unless you first Alt+click a sample in the NN-Nano. Weird !
And their shortcuts are weird anyway, since you get Alt+click on the Waveform knob, but you don't have any "Edit sample" in the pop-up menu if you rght-click that same Waveform knob...
It works fine there - if an actual sample is loaded and it's selected. It won't do anything if you have a pad selected that doesn't have an NN-Nano with a sample loaded in it, though (nor should you expect it to). NN-Nano can have multiple layers, so it makes sense that you would need to actually select the sample you want to edit first (and there's no need to ALT+click the sample to select it).

Personally I don't feel it's useless, as ALT+Clicking on all of Reason's other sampler buttons is exactly how you call the editor modal window up, so it makes sense from a workflow standpoint to allow this on Kong's NN-Nano, IMHO. Not all of Reason's samplers have a Sample Edit button, so a unified way of getting to the editor is smart, IMHO.

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oper-8

12 Oct 2021

Is it just me, or previewing REX files always skips the very first slice ? It does that all the time, whether the song is playing or not, whether there's a ReGroove pattern active or not, and from a template as well as in a fresh new empty song. The REX files are clean : the bug happens on custom files as well as those from the FSB, and the first slice will play fine if I expand the file in the browser and play slices one after the other.

(I didn't feel it did need a new topic, so I'm just briefly hijacking this one, sorry !)
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

AttenuationHz

15 Oct 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
12 Oct 2021
Is it just me, or previewing REX files always skips the very first slice ? It does that all the time, whether the song is playing or not, whether there's a ReGroove pattern active or not, and from a template as well as in a fresh new empty song. The REX files are clean : the bug happens on custom files as well as those from the FSB, and the first slice will play fine if I expand the file in the browser and play slices one after the other.

(I didn't feel it did need a new topic, so I'm just briefly hijacking this one, sorry !)
Yes it's skipping slices for me also. It can skip more than 1 slice though.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

plaamook

16 Oct 2021

Is it just me or is the new really spiffing browser pretty much the same as the old one but slower?
I dont use the search function cause I’m really organised but all I’ve noticed is that I’ve had to rebuild all my favs folders because the ones from R11 can’t be edited at all in R12 and this indexing shenanigans takes that little bit longer.
Am I missing something?
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Ottostrom

16 Oct 2021

plaamook wrote:
16 Oct 2021
Is it just me or is the new really spiffing browser pretty much the same as the old one but slower?
I dont use the search function cause I’m really organised but all I’ve noticed is that I’ve had to rebuild all my favs folders because the ones from R11 can’t be edited at all in R12 and this indexing shenanigans takes that little bit longer.
Am I missing something?
Nope that is basically it. Rex files play in sync with the project tempo if the song is playing which is nice, but if you don't get any use of the new search function then it is just the same as before but slower. Very ironic how the marketing was "blazing fast new browser".

plaamook

16 Oct 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
16 Oct 2021
plaamook wrote:
16 Oct 2021
Am I missing something?
Nope that is basically it. Rex files play in sync with the project tempo if the song is playing which is nice, but if you don't get any use of the new search function then it is just the same as before but slower. Very ironic how the marketing was "blazing fast new browser".
Ok thanks.
Usually it's just me!
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

AttenuationHz

16 Oct 2021

plaamook wrote:
16 Oct 2021
Am I missing something?
If it is falling back on that old search opening folders and .favo list (loading bar every time you reopen reason) it means the indexing is not working as it should, when indexing is working it opens locations extremely quick and searching everywhere is responsive. I spent about 4-5 days trying to investigate what might be causing it and came to the conclusion that it is based on either large locations (1 to 100gb and over), duplicated refills, or corrupt data or bad samples in the folders, I've no idea what the cause is though. Mine is working well at the moment and opens quick after moving some older refills out of indexed folders and rebuilding the index. The index file appears to write then delete the data constantly when the bug occurs. If your index file is doing this or has done this I'd recommend rebuilding it if you condensed your lists. The old indexed data will still be in the index file. Once you delete the index file it will rebuild when you start reason again. The file should be named __ReasonIndex_v4.dat found in these locations:

macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Reason/Plugin Screenshots
Windows: %AppData%\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason

It will rebuild as soon as it opens, if it takes a long time to build there is something causing it to write and delete data simultaneously, the only way to tell for sure if it is doing this is to rebuild fully and when finished it will be increasing/decreasing by about 4bits every second or so, if it is building by about 4 bits per/second it means something is fucky. Building the index should be quick enough, depending on how much data there is in your lists it should take between 20 - 30 mins (based on my data that was about 200gb). After I removed large locations from my lists I added them back in manually after rebuilding and observed how quick it would be added to the index, sometimes you have to open the folder you added to initialise indexing though. If you have no large locations and observe the index cache not increasing make a backup of the file it will save time if you are going the trial and error route to find what folders or locations cause the slow indexing read/write. If it is continuously writing it has a very hard time reading the index.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Abstrax

20 Oct 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
16 Oct 2021
plaamook wrote:
16 Oct 2021
Am I missing something?
If it is falling back on that old search opening folders and .favo list (loading bar every time you reopen reason) it means the indexing is not working as it should, when indexing is working it opens locations extremely quick and searching everywhere is responsive. I spent about 4-5 days trying to investigate what might be causing it and came to the conclusion that it is based on either large locations (1 to 100gb and over), duplicated refills, or corrupt data or bad samples in the folders, I've no idea what the cause is though. Mine is working well at the moment and opens quick after moving some older refills out of indexed folders and rebuilding the index. The index file appears to write then delete the data constantly when the bug occurs. If your index file is doing this or has done this I'd recommend rebuilding it if you condensed your lists. The old indexed data will still be in the index file. Once you delete the index file it will rebuild when you start reason again. The file should be named __ReasonIndex_v4.dat found in these locations:

macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Reason/Plugin Screenshots
Windows: %AppData%\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason

It will rebuild as soon as it opens, if it takes a long time to build there is something causing it to write and delete data simultaneously, the only way to tell for sure if it is doing this is to rebuild fully and when finished it will be increasing/decreasing by about 4bits every second or so, if it is building by about 4 bits per/second it means something is fucky. Building the index should be quick enough, depending on how much data there is in your lists it should take between 20 - 30 mins (based on my data that was about 200gb). After I removed large locations from my lists I added them back in manually after rebuilding and observed how quick it would be added to the index, sometimes you have to open the folder you added to initialise indexing though. If you have no large locations and observe the index cache not increasing make a backup of the file it will save time if you are going the trial and error route to find what folders or locations cause the slow indexing read/write. If it is continuously writing it has a very hard time reading the index.
so the browser of R12 has been the worst part for me since upgrading. it would take 90 seconds to open my sample folder. and ~60 seconds for every folder inside that folder. and like others have mentioned. the loading window would pop up, and the program is frozen while it loads. a problem i never had in R11. i'm glad i check this tread because i almost just gave up on it.

because deleting that index file fixed it. it was about 90mb and the rebuilt one is 36mb. really weird issue, but now the browser is back to R11 speed. maybe even faster. thank u. for other ppl who have a slow browser. def try this!

Creativemind

20 Oct 2021

evolve187 wrote:
30 Oct 2017
I wish when you have a bunch of loops in your song that you could right click any sample and select 'locate' and it would return your browser to the parent directory of that loop. Its pretty frustrating that there is no reference to a loop's pathway after adding it to the project. I have an extensive collection of loops and it damn near impossible to find where it was after adding it... reason obviously know where to find it right? sharing that little tidbit of info would be most helpful.
That's a great idea.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

20 Oct 2021

fourways wrote:
29 Dec 2018
I think one small feature can make inserting instruments and effects much faster, at least for me. When I press Ctrl+I for instruments or Ctrl+F for effects I got browser focused on instruments/fx folder, but cursor is not in the search field, so I need to manually left mouse click on the search field and only after it I can type desired instrument/effect (I know I can use up/down arrows to browse through the list, but it's very slow). I would much prefer after pressing Ctrl+I or Ctrl+F that browser focus with a cursor in search filed so I can type the name instantly. It will be much speedier, IMO.
Yeah I've also noticed that you can't (certainly in the RRP in the browser anyway) see the cursor flashing in the searchbox, you don't always know whether you've correctly clicked in it till you press delete or start typing.
Last edited by Creativemind on 20 Oct 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Ottostrom

20 Oct 2021

Abstrax wrote:
20 Oct 2021
so the browser of R12 has been the worst part for me since upgrading. it would take 90 seconds to open my sample folder. and ~60 seconds for every folder inside that folder. and like others have mentioned. the loading window would pop up, and the program is frozen while it loads. a problem i never had in R11. i'm glad i check this tread because i almost just gave up on it.

because deleting that index file fixed it. it was about 90mb and the rebuilt one is 36mb. really weird issue, but now the browser is back to R11 speed. maybe even faster. thank u. for other ppl who have a slow browser. def try this!
Oh wow, just letting it rebuild the file helped speed it up a lot! It sounded like there was a lot more to the process than just deleting the file but that was all it took.
I'm very happy about that but then again, why would I as a customer have to do this manually to fix the browser? Is it so hard for RS to recreate the index file after I upgraded to R12?

Creativemind

20 Oct 2021

stratatonic wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Why waste effort for midi and audio preview when you can do it in the other DAW using RPP?
Is that the Reason Plaque Plug-In? 🤣 Better change your toothpaste brand.

Abstrax

20 Oct 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
20 Oct 2021
why would I as a customer have to do this manually to fix the browser? Is it so hard for RS to recreate the index file after I upgraded to R12?
100% agree.

edit: i can say i'm mostly happy with r12 now, even tho the month or 2 i've had it has been extremely annoying
Last edited by Abstrax on 20 Oct 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

20 Oct 2021

stratatonic wrote:
01 Oct 2021
stratatonic wrote:
29 Sep 2021

Come on Reason Studios! Get it Done for the Browser Update!
Audio Waveform preview! With tempo sync'd option.
:puf_smile: It's OCTOBER ! ! :puf_smile:

Where Is that Browser Update?

Midi Preview as well would make for a decent R12 Browser Update! :)
And not just tempo sync'able but also a play on next Bar, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8th, 1/16th, 1/32ndth, 1/64th, 1/128th not that I could see anything smaller than 1/16th being needed myself but they're all the currently available snap options.

Ottostrom

22 Oct 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
20 Oct 2021
Abstrax wrote:
20 Oct 2021

Oh wow, just letting it rebuild the file helped speed it up a lot! It sounded like there was a lot more to the process than just deleting the file but that was all it took.
I'm very happy about that but then again, why would I as a customer have to do this manually to fix the browser? Is it so hard for RS to recreate the index file after I upgraded to R12?
Bad news. The browser seems to return to its slower self upon rebooting my computer :(
I hope the update comes soon and fixes all this nonsense (and adds an interactable preview waveform).
Last edited by Ottostrom on 22 Oct 2021, edited 1 time in total.

AttenuationHz

22 Oct 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
20 Oct 2021

Well there is a little more to it than just deleting and rebuilding. If the issue is still present after deleting the index and reason rebuilds it then logical conclusion is that there is something in your lists making it perform slower than its designed speed. So in order find out what that is you have go back to the basic list by removing things and rebuilding, namely large locations. When you start adding things back in and the issue occurs again, then the logical conclusion is whatever is put back in is what is causing the issue, you can and have to narrow it down to what is causing it to perform slow, it is just basic troubleshooting of the problem but it can take time to do so because once the index is corrupted you have to rebuild it without that folder or thing you added.

I agree, the problem shouldn't occur however it does but there no point in not being proactive about any problem when you have the ability to be and can. Other users obviously are effected by this issue so anyone that does have this issue I'd suggest reporting the problem to RS so they can fix the issue for everyone, the more reports they have the more likely it is that they will fix the issue. If it remains an issue it will most likely reoccur, the above is only a temp fix. Down the line you might get some new folder in your lists that can break the index again.
Abstrax wrote:
20 Oct 2021

Glad you found the information helpful!

Ottostrom

22 Oct 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
20 Oct 2021

Well there is a little more to it than just deleting and rebuilding. If the issue is still present after deleting the index and reason rebuilds it then logical conclusion is that there is something in your lists making it perform slower than its designed speed. So in order find out what that is you have go back to the basic list by removing things and rebuilding, namely large locations. When you start adding things back in and the issue occurs again, then the logical conclusion is whatever is put back in is what is causing the issue, you can and have to narrow it down to what is causing it to perform slow, it is just basic troubleshooting of the problem but it can take time to do so because once the index is corrupted you have to rebuild it without that folder or thing you added.
I don't know if you're trying to be helpful or condescending but I'll add some more info. The problem goes away after deleting the index and letting it rebuilt. I can restart Reason and the problem is still gone, so there were no more "logical conclusions" to make other than to expect that this was a suitable fix.. Its only now after rebooting my whole computer that the problem has returned.

Heigen5

22 Oct 2021

It's a honor that the smart-search was based on me and my ideas. I introduced the indexing, that caused at least 20-40% more faster search. A great feature again by me.

EnochLight

22 Oct 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
22 Oct 2021
It's a honor that the smart-search was based on me and my ideas. I introduced the indexing, that caused at least 20-40% more faster search. A great feature again by me.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oper-8

22 Oct 2021

I don't know if it's just me or if I missed something, but advertising that horrible browser as "smart" is just disrespecting users.
It takes ages to even display contents, because it doesn't index anything.
Scrolling a thumbnail to move it to a different place still takes ages - and there's still no sort function.
Hopefully they'll add "Search All locations" so it can be saved as an option.

My refills are sorted in folders. Their contents never change.
I did a quick test and expanded a folder : it takes 1.5 second to display the 40+ refills inside it.
I collapsed the folder, then expanded it again. It took 1.5 second again to display the same contents that it had just displayed seconds before.
Once you click and browse inside a refill, is fast, but actual folders and refill files don't get indexed, and Reason reads everything each time.

I then did another test with a folder containing 75 refills : it took 5 seconds to expand it, twice in a row, with the "Searching for contents" message box" twice. I still don't understand why it needed to read everything twice, but it does it each time I'll expand this folder.

I really hope they're working hard on that terrible browser. I don't understand how they test their "new features", but as it is now, this browser is worse than it was in the previous versions.

Heigen5

22 Oct 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
22 Oct 2021
It's true though, I introduced it about 5-6 years ago here on the RT forums, but also on the RH-forums: https://www.reasonheads.com/forum/viewt ... f=38&t=119

EnochLight

22 Oct 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
22 Oct 2021
EnochLight wrote:
22 Oct 2021

It's true though, I introduced it about 5-6 years ago here on the RT forums, but also on the RH-forums: https://www.reasonheads.com/forum/viewt ... f=38&t=119
I seriously thought you were joking. ;) Err... we've been asking for faster search, indexing, and "instant search" (ala various popular search engine's predictive text), among other things (like tags) for well over 10 years, if not longer. Sorry man - you weren't the first to request this, and certainly didn't come up with the idea. :thumbup: It's not my intention to sound brash or mean - just sharing the facts.

• Information