Beta

This forum is for developers of Rack Extensions to discuss the RE SDK, share code, and offer tips to other developers.
FrankyCHAMBERS

14 Oct 2021

I've just created my first RE device and upload it to test it as a beta, and I have been notified that the beta is valid until nov,11.

So my questions is about betas. What is RE policy about beta ?

Am I free to upload as many versions as I want ?
Is there some time limitation before new upload ?
Does the deadline evolve each time I upload a new version ?
Anything else to know about betas ?

Thanks for yours answers and advices !

Beta testing is very important, I found an initialisation error in my device when I test it with Cakewalk, and this was not fired in ReasonRecon !

orthodox
RE Developer

14 Oct 2021

FrankyCHAMBERS wrote:
14 Oct 2021
Yes. They just need to have different version numbers (the build number at least, like 1.0.0d1 != 1.0.0d2).
FrankyCHAMBERS wrote:
14 Oct 2021
The previous build process should be completed or failed, I guess.
FrankyCHAMBERS wrote:
14 Oct 2021
The deadline applies to the beta tester and the particular beta build, at the time of the license grant.

challism

14 Oct 2021

FrankyCHAMBERS wrote:
14 Oct 2021
I've just created my first RE device and upload it to test it as a beta, and I have been notified that the beta is valid until nov,11.

So my questions is about betas. What is RE policy about beta ?

Anything else to know about betas ?

Thanks for yours answers and advices !

Beta testing is very important, I found an initialisation error in my device when I test it with Cakewalk, and this was not fired in ReasonRecon !
Agreed. Beta testing is important. So many embarrassing bugs can be eliminated prior to release. If you need some beta testers, RT is a great place to find them. Just make a post and you will have plenty of volunteers.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

selig
RE Developer

14 Oct 2021

challism wrote:
14 Oct 2021
Agreed. Beta testing is important. So many embarrassing bugs can be eliminated prior to release. If you need some beta testers, RT is a great place to find them. Just make a post and you will have plenty of volunteers.
You can also host your beta discussions/communications on a private sub-forum here at RT if you like, but I think we will need the admin to do the initial setup for you. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

turn2on
RE Developer

14 Oct 2021

I'm asking few years about opening access to this private subform for me, and never get it.
Just wondering when read recommendations about this private sub forum developer test talks.

joeyluck

14 Oct 2021

turn2on wrote:
14 Oct 2021
I'm asking few years about opening access to this private subform for me, and never get it.
Just wondering when read recommendations about this private sub forum developer test talks.
Hey, I hadn't received any requests. And if you requested in the forum, I probably missed it. Just send me a PM and I can get that set up for you!

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

14 Oct 2021

FrankyCHAMBERS wrote:
14 Oct 2021
So my questions is about betas.
What is RE policy about beta ?
This is usually between yourself and your 'team' who you want to include. We host a small pivate group via Facebook as we find that's an easier platform for quicker group chats live etc, but you can do it via email, or some other platform of your choosing. Now keeping things more NDA about what you're bringing to the rack is also down to you - so not to leak anything you deem sensitive.
Betas last usually 30 calendar days, until the beta 'runs out' Each new beta update you want to upload can 'reset the clock' so you could for beta version 0.0.1b1 upload, test then within a day or an hour if you want you can upload version 0.0.1b2, and so on. Remember when you're at release stage you can then change to 1.0.0f1 (for final version) and go pretty far (think we did up to version 56 for ReQ v2)
Yes, you're better off checking in the Rack Plugin if you can (we always stuck to Recon in the beginning, but this is a good idea too, just to make sure it works accordingly, although the same base code is used for both (the RE should work in RRP as well as Reason standalone by design, and not have differences between the two). If you do find differences happen and you are not sure why, be best to speak to ReDev @ ReasonStudios

FrankyCHAMBERS

14 Oct 2021

Many thanks for all your answers, everything is clear to me now !

So I keep working on my project.

pongasoft
RE Developer

15 Oct 2021

joeyluck wrote:
14 Oct 2021
turn2on wrote:
14 Oct 2021
Hey, I hadn't received any requests. And if you requested in the forum, I probably missed it. Just send me a PM and I can get that set up for you!
I asked for one a long time ago too and it never happened BTW...

• Information