What's missing? A RE that can help with creating combi2 patches?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
moofi

30 Sep 2021

Looks handy :-)

One thing I would change though is the colouring of the left and right main sections to make the Out- better distinguishable from the In-version if you are having them stacked on top of each other. Maybe even just swap left and right? The different middle part is helping, yet as the bigger mainsections are dominant and thatfor a greater point of visual attraction it would make it easier to recognise.
pongasoft wrote:
28 Sep 2021
This is the re-design of the Audio In (12:1) switch

Panel_Front.jpg

Yan

challism

07 Oct 2021

pongasoft wrote:
18 Sep 2021
I have not used Combinator 2.0 myself, but I was wondering what is missing that could be implemented as a RE (most likely a utility I suppose) that could help in creating Combinator 2.0 devices?

Looking for ideas for my next RE.... ;)

Yan
Something that seems to be missing from the rack is a utility that is tied to Reason's transport. Basically a switch that turns on when the transport is playing and turns off when the transport is stopped. I'm trying to build a Combi that mutes noisy REs when the transport is stopped... REs such as D1-RT and CrapRE2 are brilliant, but they are very noise and get annoying when the transport is stopped.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Pepin

07 Oct 2021

challism wrote:
07 Oct 2021
pongasoft wrote:
18 Sep 2021
I have not used Combinator 2.0 myself, but I was wondering what is missing that could be implemented as a RE (most likely a utility I suppose) that could help in creating Combinator 2.0 devices?

Yan
Something that seems to be missing from the rack is a utility that is tied to Reason's transport. Basically a switch that turns on when the transport is playing and turns off when the transport is stopped. I'm trying to build a Combi that mutes noisy REs when the transport is stopped... REs such as D1-RT and CrapRE2 are brilliant, but they are very noise and get annoying when the transport is stopped.
If I'm understanding right, you can do this with a Matrix (with Gate Out hooked to the Combinator's CV In 1):
Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.34.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.34.14 AM.png (384.65 KiB) Viewed 6684 times

MarkTarlton

07 Oct 2021

I think I found a bug on the first version of Crapre Kurt made, I programmed the above settings and it doesn't work but if set the min to off and max to bypass it works by toggling between bypass and on when the transport is pushed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ufz3bznqeb06 ... g.mp4?dl=0

Pepin

07 Oct 2021

MarkTarlton wrote:
07 Oct 2021
I think I found a bug on the first version of Crapre Kurt made, I programmed the above settings and it doesn't work but if set the min to off and max to bypass it works by toggling between bypass and on when the transport is pushed.

Did you set the CV In to Unipolar on the back of the Combinator?

chrischrischris

07 Oct 2021

pongasoft wrote:
18 Sep 2021

Yan
I would still love a "timer" sync mode on a device or a.b. 12 as an addon!

Basically counts down 1 bar 2 bar 3 bar 4 bar ect after you press a button, in time with the transport.

:)

Chris

MarkTarlton

07 Oct 2021

Pepin wrote:
07 Oct 2021
MarkTarlton wrote:
07 Oct 2021

Did you set the CV In to Unipolar on the back of the Combinator?
That was it, I only made sure on the matrix and forgot to set to unipolar on combi, thanks!!

challism

07 Oct 2021

Pepin wrote:
07 Oct 2021
challism wrote:
07 Oct 2021

If I'm understanding right, you can do this with a Matrix (with Gate Out hooked to the Combinator's CV In 1):
Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.34.14 AM.png
I can't believe I never thought of this as a solution. Works perfectly. Thanks!
Instead of running it thru the Combi, I just opted to use a couple of Pongasoft's switches to solve the issue.
If anybody wants D1-RT and CRAPRE2 AutoSilence Combis... here they are
SILENT.zip
(142.66 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
silent.JPG
silent.JPG (99.37 KiB) Viewed 6627 times

DJMaytag

07 Oct 2021

The above is why I love Reason so much. It really is like wiring some stuff up in the real world.

pongasoft
RE Developer

12 Oct 2021

pongasoft wrote:
27 Sep 2021
challism wrote:
25 Sep 2021

Great! I'm really excited to try it out.
I just added you as beta tester to:

* A/B 12 Audio Out Switch 1.0.0, the new RE
* A/B 12 Audio In Switch 3.0.0, the other RE with fixes for hi res + tweaked design

Hopefully you will have a chance to test them out and let me know how the testing goes. If there is no issue it is ready to be released...

If somebody else wants to be added, send me your RS username

Yan
The rack extensions have been released. See announcement.

challism

12 Oct 2021

Thank you for building this! I've been wanting this for years.

As for this thread... this particular RE isn't "missing" anymore! Thanks again, Yan.

RandomNoise

22 Oct 2021

I am not sure if this has been mentioned already or if there is an existing solution for that (I could not find a simple one in the shop).
But since there is no way to control these CV amount knobs on the back of the Combi from the front, I would love to see some sort of gain or volume control in between these in a situation where I need a global control.
So for instance in this example I have the AS-16 Analog Sequencer sending CV automation to that knob, but there is no way for me to control the overall amount for that from the front of the Combi.
Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 11.58.35.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 11.58.35.png (263.94 KiB) Viewed 6478 times

RandomNoise

22 Oct 2021

RandomNoise wrote:
22 Oct 2021
I am not sure if this has been mentioned already or if there is an existing solution for that (I could not find a simple one in the shop).
But since there is no way to control these CV amount knobs on the back of the Combi from the front, I would love to see some sort of gain or volume control in between these in a situation where I need a global control.
So for instance in this example I have the AS-16 Analog Sequencer sending CV automation to that knob, but there is no way for me to control the overall amount for that from the front of the Combi.

Forgot to mention that will be useful for me for any cv control knobs, not just the ones on the Combi. Like on the other racks as well

Pepin

22 Oct 2021

RandomNoise wrote:
22 Oct 2021
RandomNoise wrote:
22 Oct 2021

Forgot to mention that will be useful for me for any cv control knobs, not just the ones on the Combi. Like on the other racks as well
The "classic" way to do this is using Thor's rotaries:
Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 11.33.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 11.33.49 PM.png (9.75 KiB) Viewed 6459 times
There are multiple free REs that can do it in a more straightforward way (RVL-1, which I wrote, is one example if you use the "Scale" knob).

RandomNoise

22 Oct 2021

Pepin wrote:
22 Oct 2021
RandomNoise wrote:
22 Oct 2021

The "classic" way to do this is using Thor's rotaries:
Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 11.33.49 PM.png

There are multiple free REs that can do it in a more straightforward way (RVL-1, which I wrote, is one example if you use the "Scale" knob).
Yeah I am familiar with the Thor way, just didn't feel like loading a full synth is justifiable for such a small task, as it might be too heavy on the cpu, or am I wrong about it?
I will check out RVL-1, thanks for the suggestions :thumbup:

Pepin

22 Oct 2021

RandomNoise wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Yeah I am familiar with the Thor way, just didn't feel like loading a full synth is justifiable for such a small task, as it might be too heavy on the cpu, or am I wrong about it?
Thor is very CPU light if you're only using it for CV stuff. Probably no heavier than a dedicated RE.

Sterioevo

22 Oct 2021

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cv-router/ does a pretty good job of it as well if I understand correctly.

challism

01 Nov 2021

I built this Combi. It's a great way to drop different devices in and A/B compare them, while also keeping a really low profile (1 unit tall).

Pongasoft 12 OUT 1 IN.zip
(130.32 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
ponga.JPG
ponga.JPG (534.67 KiB) Viewed 6382 times

selig
RE Developer

01 Nov 2021

RandomNoise wrote:
22 Oct 2021
RandomNoise wrote:
22 Oct 2021

Don't know if you have Selig Gain, but I use it ALL THE TIME for just this very thing. Works great when folded as well, providing a very small foot print both visually and on the CPU!
Selig Audio, LLC

RandomNoise

01 Nov 2021

selig wrote:
01 Nov 2021
RandomNoise wrote:
22 Oct 2021

Don't know if you have Selig Gain, but I use it ALL THE TIME for just this very thing. Works great when folded as well, providing a very small foot print both visually and on the CPU!
Ah! Didn't notice it does CV as well! I've assumed it was just for audio signal so I didn't buy it, but I am going to check it now! :D
Thanks! :thumbup:

RandomNoise

01 Nov 2021

selig wrote:
01 Nov 2021
RandomNoise wrote:
22 Oct 2021

Perfect! Precisely what I was looking after! :D

challism

07 Jan 2022

pongasoft wrote:
12 Oct 2021

Here's something else that is needed.... basically, the same thing as your 2x audio 12 in:1out/1in:12out switches, but for CV, instead of audio. What is REALLY needed the most is the 1-in, 12-out switch; there really isn't anything good/easy in the shop for that. We do have a few good options for multi-in/1-out (such as Robotic Bean's CV Select).

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7526410&p=592002#p592002

pongasoft
RE Developer

07 Jan 2022

challism wrote:
07 Jan 2022
pongasoft wrote:
12 Oct 2021

Here's something else that is needed.... basically, the same thing as your 2x audio 12 in:1out/1in:12out switches, but for CV, instead of audio. What is REALLY needed the most is the 1-in, 12-out switch; there really isn't anything good/easy in the shop for that. We do have a few good options for multi-in/1-out (such as Robotic Bean's CV Select).

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7526410&p=592002#p592002
I take note... Not promising anything though.

selig
RE Developer

07 Jan 2022

RandomNoise wrote:
01 Nov 2021
selig wrote:
01 Nov 2021

Perfect! Precisely what I was looking after! :D
You can invert the CV too, and of course mute it and trim it in addition to scaling it. Plus you can use CV to control the trim/scale to go even further down the rabbit hole. And you also get a simple display on the input LED that shows green for positive and red for negative values.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information