Reaper and Reason Rack Plugin (RRP)

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
tanni
Posts: 176
Joined: 19 Jul 2015

Post 06 Oct 2021

Hello,
does anybody here works with Reaper and the RRP ? Does it works smoothly ?
(I'm on Reason 11 on Windows)
Maybe someone has some practical experiences with this combination ?
thanks.

User avatar
Greg Savage
Posts: 65
Joined: 02 Oct 2021

Post 06 Oct 2021

tanni wrote:
06 Oct 2021
Hello,
does anybody here works with Reaper and the RRP ? Does it works smoothly ?
(I'm on Reason 11 on Windows)
Maybe someone has some practical experiences with this combination ?
thanks.
I use this combination on a daily.
Does it run smoothly? A couple of glitches here and there but smooth for the most part.
Music Composer/Sound Designer
Credits | Music Licensing |

User avatar
Benedict
Posts: 2616
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Post 06 Oct 2021

Yes mostly but you will lose the "as one" feel of Reason in Reason.

:-)

User avatar
Majestik Monkey
Posts: 668
Joined: 07 Jul 2015

Post 06 Oct 2021

tanni wrote:
06 Oct 2021
Hello,
does anybody here works with Reaper and the RRP ? Does it works smoothly ?
(I'm on Reason 11 on Windows)
Maybe someone has some practical experiences with this combination ?
thanks.
I use Reaper Loads ' & always use the [RS Plugin 'Version] !
Never had a problem thus far' Often i will use more than one instance / RS11 in Reaper , I can not say the same with RS12 in Reaper :question: / Issues.

User avatar
Benedict
Posts: 2616
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Post 06 Oct 2021

Oh the other thing you lose is to so easily routs Thor>The Echo>VST>RE>VST>RV-7000

Doable but you have to bounce in and out of RRP and lose any CV etc.

:-)

tanni
Posts: 176
Joined: 19 Jul 2015

Post 07 Oct 2021

thanks all for your details.
so I think I will give it a try. The customizing in Reaper seems great but very different and the learning curve is not the best/easiest.
Whats nice is, you get a 32bit bridge which works. In Reason I have some problems with jbridge an my old 32bit plugins.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4479
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 07 Oct 2021

Yes I use this combination. It works great. Runs smoothly mostly. The most unsmooth thing is the RRP loading, takes a few seconds and I have a good spec comp, 16gb RAM, 6 core etc. I can load 2 or 3 RRP's no problem.

What were you wanting from it that Reason doesn't have for you?

I have a track template set up with a ReDrum and a 909 kit on that ReDrum all routed to individual mixer channels and contained in a folder. It can also remember midi and automation information in the track template (this is a track template btw, not to be confused with a project template) so I have 8 bars of a 4 on the floor kick drum in my 909 template. This has so improved my life bring able to do this.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.42 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

tanni
Posts: 176
Joined: 19 Jul 2015

Post 07 Oct 2021

Creativemind wrote:
07 Oct 2021
Yes I use this combination. It works great. Runs smoothly mostly. The most unsmooth thing is the RRP loading, takes a few seconds and I have a good spec comp, 16gb RAM, 6 core etc. I can load 2 or 3 RRP's no problem.

What were you wanting from it that Reason doesn't have for you?

I have a track template set up with a ReDrum and a 909 kit on that ReDrum all routed to individual mixer channels and contained in a folder. It can also remember midi and automation information in the track template (this is a track template btw, not to be confused with a project template) so I have 8 bars of a 4 on the floor kick drum in my 909 template. This has so improved my life bring able to do this.
thanks for your input.
hm, there are some things that move me more and more away from using Reason as a DAW. I'm on Reason since version 3 and I loved it in past. But now I see possibilities in all other DAWs. Reason DAW is very slow with implementations and new things. That was all time so, but now is a point I think I have to make a decision.
First let me say, that the stability is always very important for me. The last updates from Reason 11 and now the Reason 12 version isnt really secure/stable in my eyes. In past there were never so much bugs as today. So I'm actual on 11.2 because its the most stable version from the last updates for me, also from the 11er versions. I think Reasonstudios have more and more problems with the next version because of complexity. There are bugs I reported to Reasonstudios which never repair. If you write repeatly this to the support after months you get always the same promises to the future. The updates and really new things comes slow. And the price is now one of the highest. Also my feeling is meanwhile, there is more invest in marketing as in programming the software. I won't go this way further.
So, I'm not commercial and a full Reaper licence will cost me 60 Dollars(Euros). The Reason 12 update from Reason 11 cost since 01.10. about 199 Euros ! And if I see whats new from my 11 suite version to the 12....hm.....

I also dont like the way, Reasonstudios implement new devices current. For example MIMIC. It cant import Rootkeys and Loop information out of samples. Hello ? Its a sampler and the 20 year old NNXT can do this. Then the loops you are setting in MIMIC arent smooth if you set them in the advance stretchmode. It seems too, that Polyphony is also limited. Limitation is sometimes good because of creativity, but here I see limitations that shouldnt be there. And they are bad for my personal workflow.

The new subscription thing isnt for me and the copy protection thing is a second big thing for me. I have two PCs. One Laptop (with internet) and one BigTower in my studio in the cellar (without internet, runs on the Dongle). The past updates for Reason and RE I did always with an USB stick, copy and install files from my Laptop easy, all offline. But in future this isnt possible any more. Copy protection in Reaper is super easy, only a licence key to install.

The 32bit bridge is really nice in Reaper I think, because I cant use my 32bit plugins in Reason (with jbridge too much problems). I will check this out in Reaper.
The customizing in Reason is very limited. Not even colours for the tracks and clips I can set myself. There are no vst3 support in Reason. Reaper is a very slim DAW (download is really small) and it gets regular updates. I dont need 40 GB sample content like in cubase or other DAWs. I have made a very good and efficient own library over years.

So, there a more things, but I will stop here for now because its only my opinion and maybe not interesting for all other people. ;)
I wish the Reasonstudios people really all the best, because I love this piece of software over years and had a lot of fun with it in past. But sometimes maybe times will be change.....we will see.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2667
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 07 Oct 2021

tanni wrote:
07 Oct 2021
Creativemind wrote:
07 Oct 2021
Yes I use this combination. It works great. Runs smoothly mostly. The most unsmooth thing is the RRP loading, takes a few seconds and I have a good spec comp, 16gb RAM, 6 core etc. I can load 2 or 3 RRP's no problem.

What were you wanting from it that Reason doesn't have for you?

I have a track template set up with a ReDrum and a 909 kit on that ReDrum all routed to individual mixer channels and contained in a folder. It can also remember midi and automation information in the track template (this is a track template btw, not to be confused with a project template) so I have 8 bars of a 4 on the floor kick drum in my 909 template. This has so improved my life bring able to do this.
thanks for your input.
hm, there are some things that move me more and more away from using Reason as a DAW. I'm on Reason since version 3 and I loved it in past. But now I see possibilities in all other DAWs. Reason DAW is very slow with implementations and new things. That was all time so, but now is a point I think I have to make a decision.
First let me say, that the stability is always very important for me. The last updates from Reason 11 and now the Reason 12 version isnt really secure/stable in my eyes. In past there were never so much bugs as today. So I'm actual on 11.2 because its the most stable version from the last updates for me, also from the 11er versions. I think Reasonstudios have more and more problems with the next version because of complexity. There are bugs I reported to Reasonstudios which never repair. If you write repeatly this to the support after months you get always the same promises to the future. The updates and really new things comes slow. And the price is now one of the highest. Also my feeling is meanwhile, there is more invest in marketing as in programming the software. I won't go this way further.
So, I'm not commercial and a full Reaper licence will cost me 60 Dollars(Euros). The Reason 12 update from Reason 11 cost since 01.10. about 199 Euros ! And if I see whats new from my 11 suite version to the 12....hm.....

I also dont like the way, Reasonstudios implement new devices current. For example MIMIC. It cant import Rootkeys and Loop information out of samples. Hello ? Its a sampler and the 20 year old NNXT can do this. Then the loops you are setting in MIMIC arent smooth if you set them in the advance stretchmode. It seems too, that Polyphony is also limited. Limitation is sometimes good because of creativity, but here I see limitations that shouldnt be there. And they are bad for my personal workflow.

The new subscription thing isnt for me and the copy protection thing is a second big thing for me. I have two PCs. One Laptop (with internet) and one BigTower in my studio in the cellar (without internet, runs on the Dongle). The past updates for Reason and RE I did always with an USB stick, copy and install files from my Laptop easy, all offline. But in future this isnt possible any more. Copy protection in Reaper is super easy, only a licence key to install.

The 32bit bridge is really nice in Reaper I think, because I cant use my 32bit plugins in Reason (with jbridge too much problems). I will check this out in Reaper.
The customizing in Reason is very limited. Not even colours for the tracks and clips I can set myself. There are no vst3 support in Reason. Reaper is a very slim DAW (download is really small) and it gets regular updates. I dont need 40 GB sample content like in cubase or other DAWs. I have made a very good and efficient own library over years.

So, there a more things, but I will stop here for now because its only my opinion and maybe not interesting for all other people. ;)
I wish the Reasonstudios people really all the best, because I love this piece of software over years and had a lot of fun with it in past. But sometimes maybe times will be change.....we will see.
:thumbs_up: 100%
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4479
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 08 Oct 2021

tanni wrote:
07 Oct 2021
The customizing in Reason is very limited. Not even colours for the tracks and clips I can set myself. There are no vst3 support in Reason. Reaper is a very slim DAW (download is really small) and it gets regular updates. I dont need 40 GB sample content like in cubase or other DAWs. I have made a very good and efficient own library over years.

So, there a more things, but I will stop here for now because its only my opinion and maybe not interesting for all other people. ;)
I wish the Reasonstudios people really all the best, because I love this piece of software over years and had a lot of fun with it in past. But sometimes maybe times will be change.....we will see.
Yeah I hear you. Much of the same things everyone else has been saying.

They have basically let the daw itself just fall further and further behind in terms of customisability and functionality over the years and it's now like several years behind most of the others. It was also like they create something and then abandon it (the browser, Spectrum EQ, audio editing and blocks immediately spring to mind) and Mattias pretty much told us that was there approach in the recent Mimic stream and did say they were changing this approach going forward if anyone can clarify? Although, audio has had 4 additions since it's inclusion in 2011 with audio to midi, pitch correction, bounce in place and auto-crossfades (but then leave out vertical allignment and having only 1 crossfade type) and the browser has had some work done to it recently and the Smart Browser is coming (but how smart will it be?) I'm hoping it's gonna be uber functional and not just smart if you get me. As audio wave display may not necessarily fall into the category of smart, just an extra function? tagging, branching, sync'ing both browsers, tempo match, tempo detect, key detect, length of sample display and patch and midi auditioning, now they would be smart functions to have.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.42 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Greg Savage
Posts: 65
Joined: 02 Oct 2021

Post 08 Oct 2021

So many fellow Reaper users. That's always nice to see :clap:
Music Composer/Sound Designer
Credits | Music Licensing |

User avatar
Benedict
Posts: 2616
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Post 08 Oct 2021

Creativemind wrote:
08 Oct 2021
They have basically let the daw itself just fall further and further behind in terms of customisability and functionality over the years and it's now like several years behind most of the others.
I am going to ask: does a thing that works (and works well) need changing?

While I see and understand (and suffer from) the desire to have constantly changing features, I also feel that if something works, maybe it should not be constantly changed. Further, maybe the sense that "we are left behind" is not really about the tool at all. I see the same cry in just about every DAW group (as for some reason FB thinks I need to join Logic, Reaper, Tracktion etc) groups to complete myself.

While new features that open new doors are indeed good and welcome - as was the F2 Spectrum window and the SSL and Buses... are many of the features that people say are vital to the basics of music-making really necessary?

Right now I am watching Ken Marshall mix a Skinny Puppy track and so far his actions have all been "classic". Also Skinny puppy don't seem to sound much different with all the 'amazing leaps' in DAWfulness since their earlier DAWless records. Maybe we could even raise an argument that despite, or maybe because of, all those "easy" tools they seem a little less wild than they used to be when they had to do that work by hand, ensuring a unique result.

Example: while it is indeed way faster to "perfectly" chop a loop in Mimic, does it make for a more unique artistic result compared to doing the same thing by hand in NN-XT or TAL Sampler? I will suggest not.

Reaper is a fine DAW (for itself) but despite all the supposed extra things, totally vital to creativity and modernity, I struggle to deliver the most basic of pieces in it. Reason, despite its apparent lack of must-have features, helps me get things done far faster than any other DAW/method I have used - and over 30 years that is most of them at some point (or three).

So before anyone gets a pedantry in their panties, I am not against change and growth. I just wonder if we (collectively) don't scream for change from the outside when we really need it from the inside?

:-)

tanni
Posts: 176
Joined: 19 Jul 2015

Post 09 Oct 2021

I think it's a thing that everyone have to find for himself. If people are happy with only using Reason in this condition it's totally ok. I would prefer it too, using only one DAW, but miss some things in Reason and don't like the way they actually go forward. For example an update after two years and no improvements for the sequencer. MIMIC is not for my workflow because it lacks some things for me and I can't use it in the way I need. In my opinion they have a good approach with MIMIC, but hadn't implemented it how they could. They giving away potential. And the other things I wrote here in this forum are also important for me. So it's always a personal thing of priorities for almost everyone. There are a lot of good competitors in the DAW market. And the prices are surely a thing. The customer can choose the best solution for himself. And I think Reasonstudios have to deliver some things, for what prices they demand for their DAW. Thats my opinion.
With the Reason Rack Plugin the people from Reasonstudios had opened the Rack for other DAWs. I dont know if it was the right way for Reasonstudios. But it was the right way for the customer.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4019
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 09 Oct 2021

Benedict wrote:
08 Oct 2021
Creativemind wrote:
08 Oct 2021
They have basically let the daw itself just fall further and further behind in terms of customisability and functionality over the years and it's now like several years behind most of the others.
I am going to ask: does a thing that works (and works well) need changing?

While I see and understand (and suffer from) the desire to have constantly changing features, I also feel that if something works, maybe it should not be constantly changed. Further, maybe the sense that "we are left behind" is not really about the tool at all. I see the same cry in just about every DAW group (as for some reason FB thinks I need to join Logic, Reaper, Tracktion etc) groups to complete myself.

While new features that open new doors are indeed good and welcome - as was the F2 Spectrum window and the SSL and Buses... are many of the features that people say are vital to the basics of music-making really necessary?

Right now I am watching Ken Marshall mix a Skinny Puppy track and so far his actions have all been "classic". Also Skinny puppy don't seem to sound much different with all the 'amazing leaps' in DAWfulness since their earlier DAWless records. Maybe we could even raise an argument that despite, or maybe because of, all those "easy" tools they seem a little less wild than they used to be when they had to do that work by hand, ensuring a unique result.

Example: while it is indeed way faster to "perfectly" chop a loop in Mimic, does it make for a more unique artistic result compared to doing the same thing by hand in NN-XT or TAL Sampler? I will suggest not.

Reaper is a fine DAW (for itself) but despite all the supposed extra things, totally vital to creativity and modernity, I struggle to deliver the most basic of pieces in it. Reason, despite its apparent lack of must-have features, helps me get things done far faster than any other DAW/method I have used - and over 30 years that is most of them at some point (or three).

So before anyone gets a pedantry in their panties, I am not against change and growth. I just wonder if we (collectively) don't scream for change from the outside when we really need it from the inside?

:-)
many of us aren't asking for fundamental, earth shattering changes. just stuff that lets us work more efficiently. yes, totally possible to get by without track notes, markers, auto punch, track folders, etc. but those things make using a DAW less of a headache, because it gets the software out of the way of what the user wants to do. the things that would make Reason a dream to work in wouldn't impact the actual musical output much at all.

to the point about change from within, I obviously can't speak for others, but I've gone from giving Props/RS the benefit of the doubt and defending the time it took to introduce features to becoming pretty cynical. for me, that internal change has already happened, and not for the better. I WANT Reason to be better—to truly love it (and the company) again. but that can't happen until THEY change for the better.
I write bad music for good people

latest release—The Lake Door:
bit.ly/TheLakeDoor-Soundcloud
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/track/the-lake-door

tanni
Posts: 176
Joined: 19 Jul 2015

Post 09 Oct 2021

guitfnky wrote:
09 Oct 2021

many of us aren't asking for fundamental, earth shattering changes. just stuff that lets us work more efficiently. yes, totally possible to get by without track notes, markers, auto punch, track folders, etc. but those things make using a DAW less of a headache, because it gets the software out of the way of what the user wants to do. the things that would make Reason a dream to work in wouldn't impact the actual musical output much at all.

to the point about change from within, I obviously can't speak for others, but I've gone from giving Props/RS the benefit of the doubt and defending the time it took to introduce features to becoming pretty cynical. for me, that internal change has already happened, and not for the better. I WANT Reason to be better—to truly love it (and the company) again. but that can't happen until THEY change for the better.
Yes, I think thats what a lot of Reason users thinking about the situation. At least, what I read here and there.

User avatar
Greg Savage
Posts: 65
Joined: 02 Oct 2021

Post 10 Oct 2021

Benedict wrote:
08 Oct 2021
Creativemind wrote:
08 Oct 2021
They have basically let the daw itself just fall further and further behind in terms of customisability and functionality over the years and it's now like several years behind most of the others.
I am going to ask: does a thing that works (and works well) need changing?

While I see and understand (and suffer from) the desire to have constantly changing features, I also feel that if something works, maybe it should not be constantly changed. Further, maybe the sense that "we are left behind" is not really about the tool at all. I see the same cry in just about every DAW group (as for some reason FB thinks I need to join Logic, Reaper, Tracktion etc) groups to complete myself.

While new features that open new doors are indeed good and welcome - as was the F2 Spectrum window and the SSL and Buses... are many of the features that people say are vital to the basics of music-making really necessary?

Right now I am watching Ken Marshall mix a Skinny Puppy track and so far his actions have all been "classic". Also Skinny puppy don't seem to sound much different with all the 'amazing leaps' in DAWfulness since their earlier DAWless records. Maybe we could even raise an argument that despite, or maybe because of, all those "easy" tools they seem a little less wild than they used to be when they had to do that work by hand, ensuring a unique result.

Example: while it is indeed way faster to "perfectly" chop a loop in Mimic, does it make for a more unique artistic result compared to doing the same thing by hand in NN-XT or TAL Sampler? I will suggest not.

Reaper is a fine DAW (for itself) but despite all the supposed extra things, totally vital to creativity and modernity, I struggle to deliver the most basic of pieces in it. Reason, despite its apparent lack of must-have features, helps me get things done far faster than any other DAW/method I have used - and over 30 years that is most of them at some point (or three).

So before anyone gets a pedantry in their panties, I am not against change and growth. I just wonder if we (collectively) don't scream for change from the outside when we really need it from the inside?

:-)
Please don't take anything I'm saying as rude belittling in any way, that's not how I want it to come off, and realize that phrasing can be taken the wrong way online.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I could do everything in Reason I would (and religiously). I've used the Reason since 1.0 (over 20 years). I've been at a point (for many years) where Reason isn't capable of handling the tasks I need, the features don't exist and the workarounds, when they do work, result in sloppy deliverables for my clients.

Not to mention, some workarounds are much more time-consuming than just moving over to another daw with the needed functionality.

The Rack Plugin is a glimmer of hope for many allowing one to use the tools they love paired with a DAW supplying functionality that the Reason DAW lacks. I use to travel and teach industry producers how to use Reason and most loved it but wished it were a plugin and this was damn near 20 years ago.

Now with that want being a reality, it's only natural that people want improvements and for the plugin to be on par with the current plugins today in terms of functionality. Especially if they are new to Reason or coming back to it because of the plugin.

For many, it's not about 'can I get by or if I can make it work' its do I really want to slow down or alter my workflow when I don't have to. That's especially true for any music creator who started within the last decade.

Let's take tracking for an example( in the DAW Reason). I'm not sure how many people have worked as an engineer or assistant engineer in a commercial studio, but that ability to edit and mix while you're tracking in pro tools (yes while someone is recording) is great. As soon as that artist messes up or needs to do another take, you should be hitting record immediately, moving the previous take to a comp area, and editing it on the fly.

Does Reason allow this, no. Will it stop you from making good music, no. BUT depending on who you are and your client base, not being able to meet this standard workflow will cost you business.

I say that to say not everyone has the same needs.

I do understand your point and it's good, but wanted to throw this out there to further a good conversation and maybe Reason Studios will glance over this and see some things they could incorporate (wishful thinking).
Music Composer/Sound Designer
Credits | Music Licensing |

User avatar
Benedict
Posts: 2616
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Post 10 Oct 2021

Oh indeed Reson is not ProTools at all. Nor is it Reaper. Each of those has focused on things they major in. As has Reason - and I sure hope they stay that way as the more that every tool tries to be like every other tool, the less they are able to shine at anything. I put this as a great part of why Cakebalk failed. The more they tried to be hip, the more they upset their core userbase of Rock people and instead of getting stronger there, they got Gibsoned.

I have just had the displeasure of having to spend a few days in n-Track 9. It leaves me feeling shaken about everything (yes incl life and the universe). I even feel hesitant in Reason! I would be delighted if it was what they promise about making a DAW fun to use. If you see work disappearing under you as fun, I guess they are doing great.

:-)

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4479
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 11 Oct 2021

Benedict wrote:
08 Oct 2021
Creativemind wrote:
08 Oct 2021
They have basically let the daw itself just fall further and further behind in terms of customisability and functionality over the years and it's now like several years behind most of the others.
I am going to ask: does a thing that works (and works well) need changing?

While I see and understand (and suffer from) the desire to have constantly changing features, I also feel that if something works, maybe it should not be constantly changed. Further, maybe the sense that "we are left behind" is not really about the tool at all. I see the same cry in just about every DAW group (as for some reason FB thinks I need to join Logic, Reaper, Tracktion etc) groups to complete myself.

While new features that open new doors are indeed good and welcome - as was the F2 Spectrum window and the SSL and Buses... are many of the features that people say are vital to the basics of music-making really necessary?

Right now I am watching Ken Marshall mix a Skinny Puppy track and so far his actions have all been "classic". Also Skinny puppy don't seem to sound much different with all the 'amazing leaps' in DAWfulness since their earlier DAWless records. Maybe we could even raise an argument that despite, or maybe because of, all those "easy" tools they seem a little less wild than they used to be when they had to do that work by hand, ensuring a unique result.

Example: while it is indeed way faster to "perfectly" chop a loop in Mimic, does it make for a more unique artistic result compared to doing the same thing by hand in NN-XT or TAL Sampler? I will suggest not.

Reaper is a fine DAW (for itself) but despite all the supposed extra things, totally vital to creativity and modernity, I struggle to deliver the most basic of pieces in it. Reason, despite its apparent lack of must-have features, helps me get things done far faster than any other DAW/method I have used - and over 30 years that is most of them at some point (or three).

So before anyone gets a pedantry in their panties, I am not against change and growth. I just wonder if we (collectively) don't scream for change from the outside when we really need it from the inside?

:-)
None of the feature's I want would make my music better, just life easier. When you can't do simple things like see which note it is on the note, join midi notes, having to keep clicking it back to get a note to trigger due to no midi chase, slice by song position pointer and Reason doesn't even create a baseline automation point at the level the parameter you've created is, you have to guess everytime and linked clips and automation I've wanted for years, constantly having to delete clips and repaste them (thus remember where they all are when there's gaps) because you changed one chord or note. It makes it look quite amateurish in some respects. The automation point thing was something I noticed in just a few weeks back in 2012 when I first started using Reason and I was a novice producer. How do Reason Studio's not notice, don't they use it for anything other than wiring up things to create fancy noises or do they use it as an actual daw? When I use Reaper, the way it works feels grown up and then when I try Reason again, it feels like a toy that's not serious cause there's really basic stuff missing. Ok you can get what want done but when there's other daw's with these ease of life features. It's like not buying a car with air conditioning / heaters or indicators because you can still get from a to b in the one you have and it does the same on petrol while everybody else is nice and warm.

Once you get your head around Reaper, it isn't convoluted at all (and it has 75+ features more than Reason) it just works and you can tailor it to your workflow. It just takes a while to learn it. Strange how the people who like Reason cause of it's (everything's done for you in a lot of ways) don't want things that would make it easier to compose like linked clips, remember last note length etc where you could concentrate on the music and forget about taking ages to get things out the way.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.42 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Benedict
Posts: 2616
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Post 11 Oct 2021

Image

:thumbup:

Personally, I find Reason Automation waaaaay easier than in Raper where it seems to move everywhere but how/where I want it to.

Besides, I believe my point was somewhat different from this about who has how many features ;-)

:-)

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4479
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 11 Oct 2021

Benedict wrote:
11 Oct 2021
Image

:thumbup:

Personally, I find Reason Automation waaaaay easier than in Raper where it seems to move everywhere but how/where I want it to.

Besides, I believe my point was somewhat different from this about who has how many features ;-)

:-)
Is that grey line the automation parameter position I was talking about?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.42 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Benedict
Posts: 2616
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Post 11 Oct 2021

Yup, once you open the Automation Clip, the Knob value is shown in the Track Header and the grey line under the clip is that value. Great as it lets you know where "home is without imposing it on you.

:-)

User avatar
Greg Savage
Posts: 65
Joined: 02 Oct 2021

Post 13 Oct 2021

Benedict wrote:
10 Oct 2021
Oh indeed Reson is not ProTools at all. Nor is it Reaper. Each of those has focused on things they major in. As has Reason - and I sure hope they stay that way as the more that every tool tries to be like every other tool, the less they are able to shine at anything. I put this as a great part of why Cakebalk failed. The more they tried to be hip, the more they upset their core userbase of Rock people and instead of getting stronger there, they got Gibsoned.

I have just had the displeasure of having to spend a few days in n-Track 9. It leaves me feeling shaken about everything (yes incl life and the universe). I even feel hesitant in Reason! I would be delighted if it was what they promise about making a DAW fun to use. If you see work disappearing under you as fun, I guess they are doing great.

:-)
Gibsoned, I have to use that one lol. n-Track, they've been around for a long time. You make some great points, you definitely don't want to commit career suicide.
Music Composer/Sound Designer
Credits | Music Licensing |

tanni
Posts: 176
Joined: 19 Jul 2015

Post 21 Oct 2021

Ok, a short notice from me, testing Reaper since a few days...
first I can say is...Reaper is FAST and efficient. Not only the behaviour in the DAW itself, but with vst plugins too !
I had tested with my uhe Diva, Repro plugins and I have the conclusion, that Reaper runs very well on my machine, even if I have a big DSP load.
Furthermore the 32 bit bridge....woah ! runs without any problems. The best 32bit bridge ever. Much better than jbridge. All my old plugins working smooth. Just install the plugins, no more added effort while install process.
The customizing is very extensive. I have to learn a lot of things, but what I see until now, and what I can do is good.
I think I will testing more in the next weeks. Specially with the RRP. We will see...

NostraDAWmus
Posts: 43
Joined: 26 Jul 2019

Post 29 Oct 2021

tanni wrote:
21 Oct 2021
Ok, a short notice from me, testing Reaper since a few days...
first I can say is...Reaper is FAST and efficient. Not only the behaviour in the DAW itself, but with vst plugins too !
I had tested with my uhe Diva, Repro plugins and I have the conclusion, that Reaper runs very well on my machine, even if I have a big DSP load.
Furthermore the 32 bit bridge....woah ! runs without any problems. The best 32bit bridge ever. Much better than jbridge. All my old plugins working smooth. Just install the plugins, no more added effort while install process.
The customizing is very extensive. I have to learn a lot of things, but what I see until now, and what I can do is good.
I think I will testing more in the next weeks. Specially with the RRP. We will see...
Confirmed !
When using VST plugins,- may it be VST2.4, VST3 and/ or a mix of incl. bridged 32Bit plugins,-I recognize the lowest CPU consumption in Reaper.
Its up to 50% less than in p.ex. Studio One Pro 4.6, which is the worst,- but it´s also less than in Reason and Tracktion.
Only Plogue Bidule is on par when it comes to low CPU cycles consumption.

I run 16Bit @44.1K, 128 samples/ ~3ms, S|C Scope/XITE ASIO driver and use a lot of s##t incl. NI Komplete 12 Ultimate CE.
I recognized the significant difference when testing u-he Repro-5 core locked plugin.
That alone made a difference of about 40 -50% !

:puf_smile:

P.

User avatar
littlejam
Posts: 437
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 29 Oct 2021

hello,

not adding anything new
but if i do jump ship from being 'totally reason'
i will be using reaper
either rewired with r10 or the rrp with r11 suite

interesting thread
thank you

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests