Studio One Crossgrade Possibility -- Opinions Sought

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
Jackjackdaw
Posts: 1022
Joined: 12 Jan 2019

Post 07 Oct 2021

Social Exodus wrote:
07 Oct 2021
Jackjackdaw wrote:
07 Oct 2021
Get it. Delete Reaper and Cakewalk. Run the RRP into it. Learn it inside out and don’t look back. And when Ableton or Steinberg or Bitwig send you an unbelievable cross grade offer ignore them and stand by your original decision.
That is my general sense of things as well as this point. I wan' the DAW I use going forward to be future proofed inasmuch as it can be. This way, I don't have to abandon my significant investment in Reason.

Thanks for tipping the scales here, and to all of you who answered. Studio One seemed to be exactly what I need going forward to immerse myself into this stuff. And at this price, it's the same as upgrading to Reason 12.
I use Cubase myself. But I apply the same logic. I wanted something hardcore that could cover all the bases that Reason doesn’t.

Chi-Individual
Posts: 120
Joined: 09 Apr 2020

Post 07 Oct 2021

Social Exodus wrote:
07 Oct 2021

I currently have a Korg padKontrol - will that at least work for a while do you think? I really use it in Reason actually since I have a Panorama P4
I'm not familiar with the padKontrol but it should work. I have a Nektar Panorama T6 and the integration is great. So you're good to go with the P4. S1 lets you set up custom macros for your controller and remembers them all so the P4 will be perfect once you figure out everything you want to customize.

This should help though


S1 really is as easy or as complex as you want to make it.

User avatar
Social Exodus
Posts: 379
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: The wilds of North Idaho

Post 07 Oct 2021

Onkel Paul wrote:
07 Oct 2021
Steve, there is one more thing to consider. As you say you are in recording, when you demo S1 have a look at the way you can configure the mixer. You can easyly set up different Que mixes. You can have the audio inputs of the interface displayed. If you use sonarworks, you can have the corrections rendered into your monitor mix without affecting the "taped" version. Or have a "reference Track" you can switch to.
By the way, I do have a panorama myself. It is very well integrated indeed.
When I made the switch I comforted myself that with the crossgrade I made a bargain (getting some of my invest in Reason back), could use Reason Suite within S1 and my Invest in the Panorama was not lost.
My thoughts precisely. Thanks.
:reason: 12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

User avatar
Social Exodus
Posts: 379
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: The wilds of North Idaho

Post 07 Oct 2021

Chi-Individual wrote:
07 Oct 2021
Social Exodus wrote:
07 Oct 2021

I currently have a Korg padKontrol - will that at least work for a while do you think? I really use it in Reason actually since I have a Panorama P4
I'm not familiar with the padKontrol but it should work. I have a Nektar Panorama T6 and the integration is great. So you're good to go with the P4. S1 lets you set up custom macros for your controller and remembers them all so the P4 will be perfect once you figure out everything you want to customize.

This should help though


S1 really is as easy or as complex as you want to make it.
Oh my, that looks super (Reason) easy to set up. Cakewalk and Reaper make it seem intimidating by comparison.

Thank you.
:reason: 12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

User avatar
Social Exodus
Posts: 379
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: The wilds of North Idaho

Post 07 Oct 2021

One more question if anyone knows; I see that the tech specs call for this:

Monitor with 1366 x 768 resolution (high-dpi monitor recommended)

I have a pair of 1280x1024 monitors at present -- is this going to be a problem? I assume it will run, but does it kick the resolution down?
:reason: 12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

User avatar
Social Exodus
Posts: 379
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: The wilds of North Idaho

Post 07 Oct 2021

Social Exodus wrote:
07 Oct 2021
One more question if anyone knows; I see that the tech specs call for this:

Monitor with 1366 x 768 resolution (high-dpi monitor recommended)

I have a pair of 1280x1024 monitors at present -- is this going to be a problem? I assume it will run, but does it kick the resolution down?
Answered by Pre-Sales in Baton Rouge. Nice folks and it won't be a problem until I can spring for one curved 4k monitor ;)
:reason: 12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

User avatar
Benedict
Posts: 2636
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Post 07 Oct 2021

Social Exodus wrote:
07 Oct 2021
Benedict wrote:
06 Oct 2021
This may help:
I actually watched your video in my preliminary look-see into Studio One. Very well done BTW. Dowloading Prime is a great idea and I'll likely do that after work today.
Thanks :-)

danc
Posts: 806
Joined: 14 Oct 2016

Post 08 Oct 2021

Another S1 fan here - it's my main DAW and I love it. Reason used to be, but jumped across due to all the usual issues that is relentlessly talked about here on RT.

So - downsides of S1. That's actually quite difficult to list... I think the main complaint is that the UI/UX is like Marmite.. you either love it or you don't. Some people think it's very clinical like a spreadsheet. Plus.. some people find it difficult to learn. Whereas, for me the learning curve was pretty much immediate and I was making tracks from day one. I found it easy probably because the overall UX works in a traditional Cubase like way. There isn't anything radical in the nuts and bolts... it's just done very well - and arguably better than Cubase (which is my personal opinion).

Positioning and clicking your cursor in the bottom or top half of a track giving you different outcomes can be confusing at first - but once you get to understand the difference really speeds things up. I personally find that I can lay down my ideas really quick and don't need to think before I do it.

You either go for a DAW that is nerd heaven (e.g. Bitwig) or you go for something that is solid and feature rich (e.g. S1). You decide.

Whatever you do... use RRP for Reason / other-DAW hybrid heaven.
400+ original grooving Techno, Tech-House, House, Drum-and-Bass tracks on SoundCloud.
Produced in Reason 11 and Studio One 5 (WIndows).


User avatar
Social Exodus
Posts: 379
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: The wilds of North Idaho

Post 08 Oct 2021

danc wrote:
08 Oct 2021
Another S1 fan here - it's my main DAW and I love it. Reason used to be, but jumped across due to all the usual issues that is relentlessly talked about here on RT.

So - downsides of S1. That's actually quite difficult to list... I think the main complaint is that the UI/UX is like Marmite.. you either love it or you don't. Some people think it's very clinical like a spreadsheet. Plus.. some people find it difficult to learn. Whereas, for me the learning curve was pretty much immediate and I was making tracks from day one. I found it easy probably because the overall UX works in a traditional Cubase like way. There isn't anything radical in the nuts and bolts... it's just done very well - and arguably better than Cubase (which is my personal opinion).

Positioning and clicking your cursor in the bottom or top half of a track giving you different outcomes can be confusing at first - but once you get to understand the difference really speeds things up. I personally find that I can lay down my ideas really quick and don't need to think before I do it.

You either go for a DAW that is nerd heaven (e.g. Bitwig) or you go for something that is solid and feature rich (e.g. S1). You decide.

Whatever you do... use RRP for Reason / other-DAW hybrid heaven.
Thanks for this. I took the time to download the S1 Professional demo and try it out before I pulled the trigger. It was a bit confusing to tell the truth. And while I had a couple of adult beverages lol, I'll be darned if I could locate a mixer. Gonna go back and try again because obviously it's in there but it definitely is unique so far.
:reason: 12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

Onkel Paul
Posts: 18
Joined: 24 Feb 2021

Post 08 Oct 2021

Steve, press F3 and a mixer will appear, F2 brings the editor. in the lower right corner you have buttons to get the mixer on screen. With regards to the mixer, I was disapointetd first by its look. I missed all these knobs for EQ and alike. But when you load an EQ FX you have like a litle monitor in the track that gives you a visual of the EQ curve. I find this much better.

User avatar
Social Exodus
Posts: 379
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: The wilds of North Idaho

Post 08 Oct 2021

Onkel Paul wrote:
08 Oct 2021
Steve, press F3 and a mixer will appear, F2 brings the editor. in the lower right corner you have buttons to get the mixer on screen. With regards to the mixer, I was disapointetd first by its look. I missed all these knobs for EQ and alike. But when you load an EQ FX you have like a litle monitor in the track that gives you a visual of the EQ curve. I find this much better.
Ah, very cool. I guess I was looking for an SSL mixer LOL. Thanks again!
:reason: 12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

User avatar
Social Exodus
Posts: 379
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: The wilds of North Idaho

Post 08 Oct 2021

OK, so i spent the better part of the last 18 hours digging into Studio One and I don't think I'll be getting it after all. Don't get me wrong, it's a great piece of software but it's light years more than I have skills. In the end, Reason is the way I think now and a close second to Reaper even though they're very different from one another. For recording guitar, Reaper is just dead simply. I load up a blank track, add Overloud's TH-U and pick a preset and off I go. I also use XLN Audio's excellent Addictive Drums 2 where in just one fell swoop, it sets me up with a 16 track drum mix, ready to drop some midi into or make the patterns myself. So, I'll be keeping what I've got, using Reason for sound design and just plain fun and Reaper for many other tasks.

Thank you everyone for your advice and input.
:reason: 12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

User avatar
Benedict
Posts: 2636
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Post 08 Oct 2021

:-)

BTW look into Scream4 for guitar as once you get your head around how it works (how guitar drive and amps & speakers work) it is very flexible.

The trick is to stop thinking that one VST or Feature delivers the Goods, and to work out how those Goods got to be in the first place. It is about learning how things work and therefore being able to deconstruct and re-construct in your own form - whilst leaving the faux rules of "perfect" out as they are what do you in. Many amazing sounds in music came from people "getting it wrong".

You can use a Reason Project Template that loads as default (Edit/Prefs) that has your Addicted To Drumbs all laid on out for you.... ready for assault by MIDI. Me I prefer to start with any kit I use summed to mains and then I make any breakouts as needed. This stops things from being formulaic. While trying to save effort in music seems attractive, it is also removing the sacrifice that is required to make real Art ;-)


:-)

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 2866
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 08 Oct 2021

Benedict wrote:
08 Oct 2021
:-)

BTW look into Scream4 for guitar as once you get your head around how it works (how guitar drive and amps & speakers work) it is very flexible.

The trick is to stop thinking that one VST or Feature delivers the Goods, and to work out how those Goods got to be in the first place. It is about learning how things work and therefore being able to deconstruct and re-construct in your own form - whilst leaving the faux rules of "perfect" out as they are what do you in. Many amazing sounds in music came from people "getting it wrong".

You can use a Reason Project Template that loads as default (Edit/Prefs) that has your Addicted To Drumbs all laid on out for you.... ready for assault by MIDI. Me I prefer to start with any kit I use summed to mains and then I make any breakouts as needed. This stops things from being formulaic. While trying to save effort in music seems attractive, it is also removing the sacrifice that is required to make real Art ;-)


:-)
This is why Reason will always be a powerful tool.

I learnt to do a lot by being creative with devices like scream, and creating chains where the chain is split and different frequency band treated with their own flavouring.

Then throw in other effects like phasers into the mix and you can make some real rich textures.
---

danc
Posts: 806
Joined: 14 Oct 2016

Post 09 Oct 2021

A bad workman always blames their tools.

And in the realm of sound design and music... We keep thinking that our wrong DAW or plugins are stopping us creating the next global hit. I once stood next to Mark Knophler randomly pick up and play a kids out of tune guitar. Now tell me it was his great tool that made that heavenly noise.
400+ original grooving Techno, Tech-House, House, Drum-and-Bass tracks on SoundCloud.
Produced in Reason 11 and Studio One 5 (WIndows).


User avatar
Benedict
Posts: 2636
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Post 09 Oct 2021

Seeing you are talking about his tool, you may want to spell Mark's name with and "f'

LOL

danc
Posts: 806
Joined: 14 Oct 2016

Post 09 Oct 2021

Benedict wrote:
09 Oct 2021
Seeing you are talking about his tool, you may want to spell Mark's name with and "f'

LOL
It did cross my mind when I wrote it. But thought... You'll know what I mean.
400+ original grooving Techno, Tech-House, House, Drum-and-Bass tracks on SoundCloud.
Produced in Reason 11 and Studio One 5 (WIndows).


User avatar
Social Exodus
Posts: 379
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: The wilds of North Idaho

Post 09 Oct 2021

"A bad workman always blames their tools"

I don't know about anybody else but I definitely blame my lack of talent LOL
:reason: 12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 4033
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 09 Oct 2021

what sacrifice is necessary to make “real art”, other than time? what is “real art”?

I’ll never understand why people continually apply some arbitrary criteria to define whether or not something creative is worthwhile. the only criteria that matters is, did you create it? then yeah, it’s art. did you enjoy creating it? then yeah, it’s worthwhile. doesn’t mean I have to enjoy it, but my feelings don’t dictate whether or not it’s worthy (and thank god for that 😅).
I write bad music for good people

latest release—The Lake Door:
bit.ly/TheLakeDoor-Soundcloud
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/track/the-lake-door

User avatar
Social Exodus
Posts: 379
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: The wilds of North Idaho

Post 10 Oct 2021

By way of closure, I found a lot of valuable advice in this thread. I have decided that my path forward lies with a combination of Reason and Reaper together, and I uninstalled Cakewalk/Sonar because it's a failed effort as someone pointed out.

With Reason 11, I get a rich environment that makes sense to me with a million ways to make beats, new sounds and portability via RRP. With Reaper, I get a growing and we'll supported straight forward way to record a more traditional acoustic guitar plus singer based setup. Simple and far more focused.

I will concentrate on learning these environments to the nth degree and quite trying to find lightning in a bottle. Thanks folks.
:reason: 12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

User avatar
Benedict
Posts: 2636
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Post 10 Oct 2021

Lighting finds you when you let yourself be ready.

:-)

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2668
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 10 Oct 2021

Social Exodus wrote:
10 Oct 2021
By way of closure, I found a lot of valuable advice in this thread. I have decided that my path forward lies with a combination of Reason and Reaper together, and I uninstalled Cakewalk/Sonar because it's a failed effort as someone pointed out.

With Reason 11, I get a rich environment that makes sense to me with a million ways to make beats, new sounds and portability via RRP. With Reaper, I get a growing and we'll supported straight forward way to record a more traditional acoustic guitar plus singer based setup. Simple and far more focused.

I will concentrate on learning these environments to the nth degree and quite trying to find lightning in a bottle. Thanks folks.


:puf_smile: :thumbs_up:
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
Social Exodus
Posts: 379
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: The wilds of North Idaho

Post 10 Oct 2021

bxbrkrz wrote:
10 Oct 2021
Social Exodus wrote:
10 Oct 2021
By way of closure, I found a lot of valuable advice in this thread. I have decided that my path forward lies with a combination of Reason and Reaper together, and I uninstalled Cakewalk/Sonar because it's a failed effort as someone pointed out.

With Reason 11, I get a rich environment that makes sense to me with a million ways to make beats, new sounds and portability via RRP. With Reaper, I get a growing and we'll supported straight forward way to record a more traditional acoustic guitar plus singer based setup. Simple and far more focused.

I will concentrate on learning these environments to the nth degree and quite trying to find lightning in a bottle. Thanks folks.


:puf_smile: :thumbs_up:
That was very cool sir. Bravo.
:reason: 12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests