Mimic: New Creative Sampler

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tanni

01 Oct 2021

EnochLight wrote:
01 Oct 2021
StephenHutchinson wrote:
01 Oct 2021
I tend t make a lot of ambient music and use looping pad samples in a lot of my work. In Ableton Live, Bitwig, and FL Studio, these loops are seamless and work perfectly. I've spent a couple hours now trying to get some of these samples to loop in Mimic without the annoying click at the loop end point. It is highly annoying and honestly puts me right off.

I've tried every single type of Stretch mode, in all the variations, tried 10+ different loops, and then tried the various factory Mimic patches, and even did a Reset Device. Nothing works. Anyone have any idea of how to get rid of the annoying pops and clicks when in loop mode? Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately it's because the only stretch algorithm that has Zero Crosspoint adjustment is the "Tape" setting, and even that is pretty hard to adjust. This was brought up during beta testing, but RS didn't consider adding more X-Cross settings to the other stretch algo's before launch. Hoping they update Mimic, as it certainly could use the feature. In the meantime, in Mimic your only recourse is to use the "Tape" setting and adjust your actual sample begin time to eliminate the pop/click. Usually I can get a seamless drone/loop when I make my loop point anything after the start of the sample (with some massaging of the loop).
Yeah, its a shame, that Mimic can't import Rootkeys or Loop-Information from audiofiles like the NNXT.
Maybe a new Import function for Rootkey and/or Loop-Information out of the loaded audiofile would be a solution for Mimic. Maybe on the backside of Mimic, so you could click on a button and choose: Import Loop/Rootkey-Information, and from then Mimic imports the information from every the loaded sample.
So your Library with your well done samples are supported and no "clicks" are audible. No crossfade would be required then.

StephenHutchinson

01 Oct 2021

EnochLight wrote:
01 Oct 2021
StephenHutchinson wrote:
01 Oct 2021
I tend t make a lot of ambient music and use looping pad samples in a lot of my work. In Ableton Live, Bitwig, and FL Studio, these loops are seamless and work perfectly. I've spent a couple hours now trying to get some of these samples to loop in Mimic without the annoying click at the loop end point. It is highly annoying and honestly puts me right off.

I've tried every single type of Stretch mode, in all the variations, tried 10+ different loops, and then tried the various factory Mimic patches, and even did a Reset Device. Nothing works. Anyone have any idea of how to get rid of the annoying pops and clicks when in loop mode? Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately it's because the only stretch algorithm that has Zero Crosspoint adjustment is the "Tape" setting, and even that is pretty hard to adjust. This was brought up during beta testing, but RS didn't consider adding more X-Cross settings to the other stretch algo's before launch. Hoping they update Mimic, as it certainly could use the feature. In the meantime, in Mimic your only recourse is to use the "Tape" setting and adjust your actual sample begin time to eliminate the pop/click. Usually I can get a seamless drone/loop when I make my loop point anything after the start of the sample (with some massaging of the loop).
Thanks so much EnochLight, I was bedevilled at how this just wasn't working. I do hope they fix this in some upcoming update... I can't see how they wouldn't. Here's hoping for the best, and I'm going to try your suggestion. I can live with this workaround for now and you've been super helpful. :puf_smile:
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

EnochLight

01 Oct 2021

StephenHutchinson wrote:
01 Oct 2021
Thanks so much EnochLight, I was bedevilled at how this just wasn't working. I do hope they fix this in some upcoming update... I can't see how they wouldn't. Here's hoping for the best, and I'm going to try your suggestion. I can live with this workaround for now and you've been super helpful. :puf_smile:
No problem; glad to have helped! :thumbup:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

tanni

01 Oct 2021

What do you think of possible Import functions from loadable audiofiles (wav/aiff) like in the NNXT while sample-browsing ? Maybe with selectable buttons:

Benedict
Competition Winner

04 Oct 2021

Without reading the whole thread in-hope:

Does anyone know how many voices Mimic has? It seems pretty low as it seems like voice stealing is a real issue with pads. I am assuming 8 voices max - meaning that if you use all 8 slots in Multi Pitch Mode it is monophonic - which feels like a shame.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

GRIFTY

06 Oct 2021

I understand a lot of you make like techno & stuff, but mimic is a godsend for sample choppers in reason. Just try to chop a soul sample up & making a proto-Kanye West-style beat with it. It's sooooo much easier than with, say, NNXT. I used to use Kong as my main sample player, chopping out slices by hand from the main sequencer, bouncing to samples, then dragging to a pad. This device fully automates that workflow

JorgeM

06 Oct 2021

Agreed. Mimic is awesome for chopping samples.

Santy Beats

07 Oct 2021

Hi everyone
I have a question for several days and I have not found an answer, I hope I can make myself understood:
When we are using MIMIC and we have the markers of the sampler cuts when using pads, each cut is automatically located on each pad, so far everything is correct.
My question is if there is any way for the Mimic to trigger each chop of each pad and hold it without having to hold down the pad, because when we release the pad the playback of the chop stops.
I know that putting the sustain pedal on the playback continues, but I would like to know if there is any way to do it without the pedal
Thanks.

deeplink
Competition Winner

07 Oct 2021

Santy Beats wrote:
07 Oct 2021
Hi everyone
I have a question for several days and I have not found an answer, I hope I can make myself understood:
When we are using MIMIC and we have the markers of the sampler cuts when using pads, each cut is automatically located on each pad, so far everything is correct.
My question is if there is any way for the Mimic to trigger each chop of each pad and hold it without having to hold down the pad, because when we release the pad the playback of the chop stops.
I know that putting the sustain pedal on the playback continues, but I would like to know if there is any way to do it without the pedal
Thanks.
Not sure if I understand what you're trying to achieve;
Possibly the little 'Play Thru' button in the Slices section is what you are looking for.
Together with setting a full Release envelope
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

PhillipOrdonez

07 Oct 2021

GRIFTY wrote:
06 Oct 2021
I understand a lot of you make like techno & stuff, but mimic is a godsend for sample choppers in reason. Just try to chop a soul sample up & making a proto-Kanye West-style beat with it. It's sooooo much easier than with, say, NNXT. I used to use Kong as my main sample player, chopping out slices by hand from the main sequencer, bouncing to samples, then dragging to a pad. This device fully automates that workflow
Hey, I make techno and stuff and I freaking love mimic too! I no longer look at Kong or redrum. I'm full on mimic for my drums and for sample mangling duties. 💪

Greg Savage

07 Oct 2021

I really want to like this Sampler, can't find a use for it (yet). It is interesting seeing/reading how others use it though.
Music Composer/Sound Designer
Music Licensing - Credits

QVprod

07 Oct 2021

Worth a post for those looking for a differing perspective on Mimic. Or for some possible uses

Santy Beats

07 Oct 2021

deeplink wrote:
07 Oct 2021
Santy Beats wrote:
07 Oct 2021
Hi everyone
Thanks.
Not sure if I understand what you're trying to achieve;
Possibly the little 'Play Thru' button in the Slices section is what you are looking for.
Together with setting a full Release envelope
thanks, that's what i meant :thumbup:

mimidancer

08 Oct 2021

aeox wrote:
26 Sep 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
26 Sep 2021

I don't think mimic was meant to be used as a loop player anyway.
Yea it really is not in my opinion. It excels in other areas.
You can have control over the individual slots. In combinators simply select the parameter you want to use. It is divided by slot. As for triggering the loops that would be controlled with midi note information from your controller or drum pads. you just have to set the key ranges.

aeox
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2021

mimidancer wrote:
08 Oct 2021
aeox wrote:
26 Sep 2021

Yea it really is not in my opinion. It excels in other areas.
You can have control over the individual slots. In combinators simply select the parameter you want to use. It is divided by slot. As for triggering the loops that would be controlled with midi note information from your controller or drum pads. you just have to set the key ranges.
That's what I mean, you can do it but it's not how most people want it to be. I'd imagine a lot of folks want that functionality without a cmb patch but I'm not complaining. Works great.

Plus I really think the main focus of the device is sound mangling with pitch and different stretch modes, but maybe that's just what I've found enjoyable and what feels natural from it

mimidancer

15 Oct 2021

aeox wrote:
15 Oct 2021
mimidancer wrote:
08 Oct 2021

That's what I mean, you can do it but it's not how most people want it to be. I'd imagine a lot of folks want that functionality without a cmb patch but I'm not complaining. Works great.

Plus I really think the main focus of the device is sound mangling with pitch and different stretch modes, but maybe that's just what I've found enjoyable and what feels natural from it
The use of combinators is an essential part of the reason. They allow you to set things up the way you want to use them. Remember, you only have to set it up once. Then save it for future use. Reason is a modular experience. Complaining about a combinator would be like not wanting to use a case to house your eurorack setup. That is why they put so much into upgrading the combinator in Reason 12. Embrace it, then make Reason your own. You don't want to become another Abelton clone. Clones are better than droids, but a Jedi is way cooler than both. Be a Jedi, make your beats with your combinator optimized for what you want Reason to be. The options are endless and fun. Be well.

aeox
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2021

mimidancer wrote:
15 Oct 2021
aeox wrote:
15 Oct 2021

The use of combinators is an essential part of the reason. They allow you to set things up the way you want to use them. Remember, you only have to set it up once. Then save it for future use. Reason is a modular experience. Complaining about a combinator would be like not wanting to use a case to house your eurorack setup. That is why they put so much into upgrading the combinator in Reason 12. Embrace it, then make Reason your own. You don't want to become another Abelton clone. Clones are better than droids, but a Jedi is way cooler than both. Be a Jedi, make your beats with your combinator optimized for what you want Reason to be. The options are endless and fun. Be well.
You're preaching to the choir my friend :)

miscend

16 Oct 2021

GRIFTY wrote:
06 Oct 2021
Have you tried Serato sample for sample chopping?

miscend

16 Oct 2021

Santy Beats wrote:
07 Oct 2021
Thanks.
Have you tried setting the release to max on the amp envelope?

Goriila Texas

23 Oct 2021

It's crazy I can't load Rex files into Mimic by the company who created Rex files but can load Rex samples in Kontakt lol.

Greg Savage

23 Oct 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
23 Oct 2021
It's crazy I can't load Rex files into Mimic by the company who created Rex files but can load Rex samples in Kontakt lol.
Hopefully, this is something they change in the future. I really wish they'd make Recycle a plugin.

Goriila Texas

23 Oct 2021

I don't think that'll ever happen.

Greg Savage wrote:
23 Oct 2021
Goriila Texas wrote:
23 Oct 2021
Hopefully, this is something they change in the future. I really wish they'd make Recycle a plugin.

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
23 Oct 2021
Last I heard, they're adding REX support to the RE SDK in R12. That's all it's waiting on.

Goriila Texas

24 Oct 2021

Can't wait!

Side note, I didn't know you were a woman this whole time until I seen you post girl avatar lol.

avasopht wrote:
24 Oct 2021
Goriila Texas wrote:
23 Oct 2021
Last I heard, they're adding REX support to the RE SDK in R12. That's all it's waiting on.

Greg Savage

25 Oct 2021

And it saddens me to the core :cry:
Goriila Texas wrote:
23 Oct 2021
I don't think that'll ever happen.

Greg Savage wrote:
23 Oct 2021

• Information