Reason 12.2.1 Release Notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Greg Savage

03 Oct 2021

Chi-Individual wrote:
03 Oct 2021
Greg Savage wrote:
03 Oct 2021
Reason definitely seems to be running a lot smoother. One issue I'm running into is with the Redrum. Sometimes, if I play a pattern and hit stop, one of the sounds keeps playing.

I've gone as far as to mute all sounds within the Redrum and that one channel will still be playing and the only way to stop it is to delete the Redrum and then Ctrl+Z or Command +Z
I had a similar issue with Redrum when I trialed the initial release but a bit different. I use the Drum Sequencer player with Redrum and when I first used Redrum with the DS I would hit stop at times and still get one extra hit in the pattern. I couldn't reproduce on command and I couldn't tell if it was because Redrum or DS but it happened enough to be noticeable. I have the latest release and it hasn't happened yet but probably still needs to be a bug report.

I'm just praying they haven't broken Redrum!!!!!
Oh good, I'm not the only one. I noticed this first with the RRP in Reaper when it was first introduced, sent them a recording of it.

I've noticed it a few times in the standalone. I'll definitely screen capture it next time as it is annoying :puf_unhappy:
Music Composer/Sound Designer
Music Licensing - Credits

AttenuationHz

03 Oct 2021

Greg Savage wrote:
03 Oct 2021
Chi-Individual wrote:
03 Oct 2021

I had a similar issue with Redrum when I trialed the initial release but a bit different. I use the Drum Sequencer player with Redrum and when I first used Redrum with the DS I would hit stop at times and still get one extra hit in the pattern. I couldn't reproduce on command and I couldn't tell if it was because Redrum or DS but it happened enough to be noticeable. I have the latest release and it hasn't happened yet but probably still needs to be a bug report.

I'm just praying they haven't broken Redrum!!!!!
Oh good, I'm not the only one. I noticed this first with the RRP in Reaper when it was first introduced, sent them a recording of it.

I've noticed it a few times in the standalone. I'll definitely screen capture it next time as it is annoying :puf_unhappy:
One of the samples was probably set to loop. What patch was it?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Chi-Individual

03 Oct 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
03 Oct 2021
I always build my kits from scratch in Redrum so I honestly couldn't tell you which sample it was. I do know it was from the Drum Supply refill. I didn't save the RSN file since nothing came of it. I just noticed that I kept getting extra hits when I would stop the transport.

Just to add, I only got midi from the Drum Sequencer Player, I didn't program any midi into the sequencer lane. So if @GregSavage was getting the extra hits from sequencer midi and I was getting it from a Player then Redrum just might be the problem. :?: :?: :?:

Greg Savage

03 Oct 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
03 Oct 2021
Greg Savage wrote:
03 Oct 2021

Nope, all of the common noob mistakes were absent from this error.
No loops
No duplicate units
no additional apps open running in the background

Just Reason 12, 1 Redrum, and a few 1 shots. As mentioned above, the only way to fix it was to "delete the Redrum and then Ctrl+Z or Command +Z" <--- that results in reinstating the device in the condition it was in prior to deleting (with the same sounds loaded).
Last edited by Greg Savage on 03 Oct 2021, edited 1 time in total.

AttenuationHz

03 Oct 2021

Greg Savage wrote:
03 Oct 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
03 Oct 2021

No loops
No duplicate units

Just Reason 12, 1 Redrum, and a few 1 shots.
Without further information most of that and more will be assumed. I'd say it sounds like an issue for a thread on its own. Might be a bug might be something simple that others can troubleshoot, without being reproducible or reported it won't be fixed though.
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 03 Oct 2021, edited 1 time in total.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Greg Savage

03 Oct 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
03 Oct 2021
Greg Savage wrote:
03 Oct 2021

No loops
No duplicate units

Just Reason 12, 1 Redrum, and a few 1 shots.
Without further information most of that and more will be assumed. I'd say it sounds like an issue for a thread on its own. Might be a bug might be something simple that others can troubleshot, without being reproducible or reported it won't be fixed though.
I'll send in a recording the next time it happens. Reason Studios has a recording of the issue happening with the Rack Plugin, that was sent about a year ago. Still happens periodically with the plugin, but we'll see.

Greg Savage

03 Oct 2021

Steedus wrote:
03 Oct 2021
IK Multimedia T-racks plugins can be freely resized by dragging a corner and look great. They’re skumorphic too.
Exactly, that's one of the things I love about IK :clap:

PhillipOrdonez

03 Oct 2021

No issues at all here with performance on the RRP or standalone, in fact it has been solid for me since the day of release. I wonder how it affects some users whilst working perfect for others 🤔 weird stuff.

Chi-Individual

03 Oct 2021

I just thought of something that never crossed my mind until now. When I had the trial of R12 I was on macOS Mojave at the beginning of September. I'm now on Big Sur. And so far besides the obvious bugs it's been running without that glitch in Redrum. Still may need to try more to see if it can be replicated.

Specs: MBP 15 Inch Mid 2015 Retina, 2.5Ghz i7, 16GB Ram.

jaeproduced

04 Oct 2021

Chi-Individual wrote:
03 Oct 2021
I just thought of something that never crossed my mind until now. When I had the trial of R12 I was on macOS Mojave at the beginning of September. I'm now on Big Sur. And so far besides the obvious bugs it's been running without that glitch in Redrum. Still may need to try more to see if it can be replicated.

Specs: MBP 15 Inch Mid 2015 Retina, 2.5Ghz i7, 16GB Ram.
Hmmm so I"m running Mojave on my MBP 15' Mid 2012 Retina 2.3Ghz Intel i7 16GB Ram and I got a few glitches/freezes here and there but Redrum works fine for me. My problem is when I quit Reason it freezes up for about 2-3min then up pops the Reason Quit Unexpectedly screen and I have to restart my computer because it want open back up...Also sometimes when I export a song file to wav or mp3 the confirm screen is blacked out or a dark grey really weird...

Chi-Individual

04 Oct 2021

jaeproduced wrote:
04 Oct 2021
Hmmm so I"m running Mojave on my MBP 15' Mid 2012 Retina 2.3Ghz Intel i7 16GB Ram and I got a few glitches/freezes here and there but Redrum works fine for me. My problem is when I quit Reason it freezes up for about 2-3min then up pops the Reason Quit Unexpectedly screen and I have to restart my computer because it want open back up...Also sometimes when I export a song file to wav or mp3 the confirm screen is blacked out or a dark grey really weird...
After the last update to R11 I started getting a hanging screen when I would close out Reason. It never lagged as long as yours but almost every other session it would lag for about 10secs and then I'd get the screen saying Reason closed unexpected. But I could instantly open it back up again if I wanted after hitting ignore That glitch hasn't happened with R12. But tbf I haven't tried to make anything worthwhile with R12 because of the bugs. I still switch back to R11.

Here's a funny thing, I always only keep RS native and RE folders unfolded and unfold other folders only when I needed something specific to help with scrolling speed, so I would also get glitches in R11 on Mojave where sometimes the browser folders would all fold closed on their own but I couldn't reopen any of the folders unless I switched to something else first, Ex: instrument folders close on their own and can't be opened
My Normal Browser.png
My Normal Browser.png (107.7 KiB) Viewed 2751 times
, so I'd switch to FX and then switch back to instruments just to be able to reopen the instruments folder
My Frozer Browser.png
My Frozer Browser.png (31.96 KiB) Viewed 2751 times
. That didn't bother me that much, just one extra click and it was fixed for the moment. NOW!!!! None of the folders stay closed in R12 at all and it's bothering me.

miscend

04 Oct 2021

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
29 Sep 2021
Same with the Softube plugins.... GLitches in Parallels and Monument vst's. And yes I've voiced my concerns.
You probably tried this already, but have you tried toggling off the OpenGL rendering?

jaeproduced

04 Oct 2021

Chi-Individual wrote:
04 Oct 2021
jaeproduced wrote:
04 Oct 2021
After the last update to R11 I started getting a hanging screen when I would close out Reason. It never lagged as long as yours but almost every other session it would lag for about 10secs and then I'd get the screen saying Reason closed unexpected. But I could instantly open it back up again if I wanted after hitting ignore That glitch hasn't happened with R12. But tbf I haven't tried to make anything worthwhile with R12 because of the bugs. I still switch back to R11.

Here's a funny thing, I always only keep RS native and RE folders unfolded and unfold other folders only when I needed something specific to help with scrolling speed, so I would also get glitches in R11 on Mojave where sometimes the browser folders would all fold closed on their own but I couldn't reopen any of the folders unless I switched to something else first, Ex: instrument folders close on their own and can't be openedMy Normal Browser.png, so I'd switch to FX and then switch back to instruments just to be able to reopen the instruments folderMy Frozer Browser.png. That didn't bother me that much, just one extra click and it was fixed for the moment. NOW!!!! None of the folders stay closed in R12 at all and it's bothering me.
Yea I haven't had that problem but it would bother me too. I think we all just want this Half Baked Reason 12 software to do what it suppose to do and that's WORK...

miscend

04 Oct 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
03 Oct 2021
I don’t think they are able to implement dragging to scale as the UI is all bitmaps, zooming is really just loading a bigger picture.
They are ways around this. MacOS for example uses very high resolution source assets for everything that can easily be scaled without loss of sharpness.

PrivatePartsUK

04 Oct 2021

NI Massive not opening up R12 but was on R11 and ALL SSL DUENDE NATIVE VST Plugins not opening up but on R11 was fine.

Ottostrom

04 Oct 2021

Very disappointed in finding out that my audio crackle problem with multi-core rendering enabled is still present after this update..
Sent in logs from a session but never got any more info from support. Starting to wonder if I'll have to switch back to R11 where I could work in peace.

Benedict
Competition Winner

04 Oct 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
04 Oct 2021
Very disappointed in finding out that my audio crackle problem with multi-core rendering enabled is still present after this update..
Sent in logs from a session but never got any more info from support. Starting to wonder if I'll have to switch back to R11 where I could work in peace.
Aaah, I was getting crackles too yesterday with no apparent cause.

Hmmm.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

gullum

05 Oct 2021

Chi-Individual wrote:
04 Oct 2021

Here's a funny thing, I always only keep RS native and RE folders unfolded and unfold other folders only when I needed something specific to help with scrolling speed, so I would also get glitches in R11 on Mojave where sometimes the browser folders would all fold closed on their own but I couldn't reopen any of the folders unless I switched to something else first, Ex: instrument folders close on their own and can't be openedMy Normal Browser.png, so I'd switch to FX and then switch back to instruments just to be able to reopen the instruments folderMy Frozer Browser.png. That didn't bother me that much, just one extra click and it was fixed for the moment. NOW!!!! None of the folders stay closed in R12 at all and it's bothering me.
It annoys me totally too there are so many native FX devices so I used to have all RS devices and some other I don't use often folded so was faster to scroll to S developers and now have to close or do long scrolls every time and it piss me of

Ottostrom

05 Oct 2021

Benedict wrote:
04 Oct 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
04 Oct 2021

Hmmm.

Maybe you have the same problem as me? If I have this setting enabled but the project is very empty (like if the only thing I do is drag in a Europa for example) then I get crackles, while if the project has more devices in it then I can turn it on with no problem.

akeia

05 Oct 2021

Maybe you have the same problem as me? If I have this setting enabled but the project is very empty (like if the only thing I do is drag in a Europa for example) then I get crackles, while if the project has more devices in it then I can turn it on with no problem.
I can not help in your individual case but only give some general observation. My tip is to fix your CPU clock(s) speed at maximum. No power saving in music production.

Modern CPUs clock down when they are idle. In Windows there are power profiles for "max. energy saving"(balanced), "most power"(high performance) that you can try. These mess with the different CPU power savings modes. Also in your PC BIOS you can often switch such profiles. See the board manual for that.
In my experience with music software it is usefull to have the CPU always on full clock speed. I have a 12-core CPU and it crackles like crazy when max. power savings are on. The CPU is as low as 0.8Ghz (from 4.9Ghz max.) and the switching of the clock speed is too slow. It crackles for 50-200ms but after that everything is fine.
If there is already some kind of CPU load in the background and the CPU is already clocking with say 2Ghz the switching is fast enough. No crackles. That would explain your observation of no cracles with more devices.
Last edited by akeia on 05 Oct 2021, edited 1 time in total.

zabukowski

05 Oct 2021

For me, the latest update brings lower CPU overall (0.23% CPU when idling with default template), which is awesome, but on the other hand, i have a feeling that it's less dropouts/crackling proof ... i am getting light crackling when scrolling around with a project (consuming cca. 15% CPU), which was working without any crackles with previous R12 update.

Buffer size 128, RME Babyface, 10 core I9, 64 GB RAM, Intel on-board graphics.

Ottostrom

05 Oct 2021

akeia wrote:
05 Oct 2021
I can not help in your individual case but only give some general observation. My tip is to fix your CPU clock(s) speed at maximum. No power saving in music production.

Modern CPUs clock down when they are idle. In Windows there are power profiles for "max. energy saving"(balanced), "most power"(high performance) that you can try. These mess with the different CPU power savings modes. Also in your PC BIOS you can often switch such profiles. See the board manual for that.
In my experience with music software it is usefull to have the CPU always on full clock speed. I have a 12-core CPU and it crackles like crazy when max. power savings are on. The CPU is as low as 0.8Ghz (from 4.9Ghz max.) and the switching of the clock speed is too slow. It crackles for 50-200ms but after that everything is fine.
If there is already some kind of CPU load in the background and the CPU is already clocking with say 2Ghz the switching is fast enough. No crackles. That would explain your observation of no cracles with more devices.
That's an interesting theory and would give an explanation to my issue. I guess moving the graphical processing to the GPU with R12 might be the cause for this?
I've never really messed around with my CPU other than making sure power saving in Windows is not enabled, but I should probably look into how to set a fixed clock speed.
Thanks for sharing this info! :)

drun robots

05 Oct 2021

Just wondering, will R12 be compatible with Windows 11? Any information regarding this? I mean... after the current bugs, pops, flashes, and mixed graphics are solved, of course.
drunkrobots.bandcamp.com

rootwheel

05 Oct 2021

drun robots wrote:
05 Oct 2021
Just wondering, will R12 be compatible with Windows 11? Any information regarding this? I mean... after the current bugs, pops, flashes, and mixed graphics are solved, of course.
Despite the major number increment, I don't think Windows 11 is much different from Windows 10 under the hood. My understanding is that Microsoft simply took Windows 10 21H2, rebranded it, and unveiled it as Windows 11. I would be surprised if there are any incompatiblities, or differences in performance, between Reason 12 on Windows 10 and Reason 12 on Windows 11.

Exowildebeest

05 Oct 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
05 Oct 2021
Benedict wrote:
04 Oct 2021

Hmmm.

Do you have your minimum processor power state set to 100% in your Windows Power Management settings? Because if it's set too low, your processor will downclock to save power, and only upclock under load, which can cause audio glitching if it's very suddenly loaded. This setting is really important for realtime audio applications, in my experience.

(I now see this was already mentioned by others :thumbs_up: )

• Information