Midi issues

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
chrischrischris

15 Sep 2021

Hi,

For a long time I have gotten away with midi just having to be in or out from a device and since a lot of keyboards have USB therefore the midi leads have been in a drawer for a long time!

I have recently bought some new hardware since and I’m trying to do something very simple but although it is obviously wrong for a very obvious reason I do wonder if thereIs something simple that I am missing that would fix this problem.

The problem is,

Key step pro midi out Dash Roland VR09 midi In

Roland VR09 midi out – key step pro midi in

This way, I can play The Roland keys,

then transmit The midi to the sequencer on the key step pro,

then the sound plays back through The RolandDuring playback from the sequencer.

this creates an obvious feedback loop of sorts, although it’s definitely not endless,
It just sounds like two of the same instrument being played slightly out of time and saw a phasing type of sound Occurs.

A sort of simple solution would be to use an external midi keyboard but space is already an issue and I really would like to have the key step pro on a lower level put in the center of the table and the Roland on a higher level but also in the center of the table.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance

Chris

mimidancer

03 Oct 2021

This is easy an thing to do in reason with advanced midi. First, add your Beatstep pro to reason. Make sure it is set to separated so it will not to follow selected.

Next, Create 3 Combis and give them the names you want. My combis are Called Beatstep Y, Beatstep G, and Drums. y is for yellow and G is for green but I hate when words get cutoff in the reason label tape.

Next, Go advanced Midi at the top of your rack and select where reason has placed your beatstep pro. Mine is bus D. I also changed the midi channels of mine. the defaults are 1,2 and 10. My Beat step is set to 5, 6, and 11. You don't have to change your defaults but I am weird. Once you are on the Bus, set the channel to the corresponding combinators that will house the sound devices for each beat step track. Image

You will notice a Silig Noteview player at the top of each combi. When you flip it to direct record it will record your beatstep in real-time to the Reason sequencer. You can do mutes and stutters whatever you like. Image

The default on the beat step will map perfectly to kong. Players with only 8 sounds like umpf, or mimic can be stacked easily by adding the second device in the drum combi then a second selig note view inside the combi above the second device. This will be the top drum pad roll on your beatstep.

to get the midi out and back to the beatstep simply add a midi out device to the bottom of the combi and select your beatstep and the midi channel of your track.

But after you set up the blank combis with the noteview player on top. Save it as a template. But reason default has all of my advanced midi mapping built-in. So I open reason and just play. Once this is done any comic can be dragged on top of what you set up and will be remapped. Or you can just add devices in the combi. Selig Note view is free in the reason shop. All of selig's stuff is good.
Last edited by mimidancer on 03 Oct 2021, edited 2 times in total.

mimidancer

03 Oct 2021

Man, my pictures did not work. I'm bummed about that.

rcbuse
RE Developer

03 Oct 2021

chrischrischris wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Hi,

For a long time I have gotten away with midi just having to be in or out from a device and since a lot of keyboards have USB therefore the midi leads have been in a drawer for a long time!

I have recently bought some new hardware since and I’m trying to do something very simple but although it is obviously wrong for a very obvious reason I do wonder if thereIs something simple that I am missing that would fix this problem.

The problem is,

this creates an obvious feedback loop of sorts, although it’s definitely not endless,
It just sounds like two of the same instrument being played slightly out of time and saw a phasing type of sound Occurs.

A sort of simple solution would be to use an external midi keyboard but space is already an issue and I really would like to have the key step pro on a lower level put in the center of the table and the Roland on a higher level but also in the center of the table.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance

Chris
Check out the manual for the Roland VR09, look for like a local MIDI echo off or MIDI in mode. There are usually options to set the devices to only listen to incoming midi and not what you are playing on the keys so you don't get the doubling.

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2021

Wot Panda said about Local Off in the MIDI Setup of the Roland.
This stops the Roland from playing the note locally and then playing again a few ms later as the MIDI comes back to it.
With Local Off the Roland only responds to external MIDI and not anything internal.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

chrischrischris

07 Oct 2021

rcbuse wrote:
03 Oct 2021
chrischrischris wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Hi,

The problem is,

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance

Chris
Check out the manual for the Roland VR09, look for like a local MIDI echo off or MIDI in mode. There are usually options to set the devices to only listen to incoming midi and not what you are playing on the keys so you don't get the doubling.

Turns out the VR has no local off!

Chris

chrischrischris

07 Oct 2021

mimidancer wrote:
03 Oct 2021
This is easy an thing to do in reason with advanced midi. First, add your Beatstep pro to reason. Make sure it is set to separated so it will not to follow selected.

Next, Create 3 Combis and give them the names you want. My combis are Called Beatstep Y, Beatstep G, and Drums. y is for yellow and G is for green but I hate when words get cutoff in the reason label tape.

Next, Go advanced Midi at the top of your rack and select where reason has placed your beatstep pro. Mine is bus D. I also changed the midi channels of mine. the defaults are 1,2 and 10. My Beat step is set to 5, 6, and 11. You don't have to change your defaults but I am weird. Once you are on the Bus, set the channel to the corresponding combinators that will house the sound devices for each beat step track. Image

You will notice a Silig Noteview player at the top of each combi. When you flip it to direct record it will record your beatstep in real-time to the Reason sequencer. You can do mutes and stutters whatever you like. Image

The default on the beat step will map perfectly to kong. Players with only 8 sounds like umpf, or mimic can be stacked easily by adding the second device in the drum combi then a second selig note view inside the combi above the second device. This will be the top drum pad roll on your beatstep.

to get the midi out and back to the beatstep simply add a midi out device to the bottom of the combi and select your beatstep and the midi channel of your track.

But after you set up the blank combis with the noteview player on top. Save it as a template. But reason default has all of my advanced midi mapping built-in. So I open reason and just play. Once this is done any comic can be dragged on top of what you set up and will be remapped. Or you can just add devices in the combi. Selig Note view is free in the reason shop. All of selig's stuff is good.
That looks great! I am not using Reason in the rig though:)

• Information