[Solved] Need help routing virtual MIDI into Reason - using Windows

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 3239
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill

Post 29 Sep 2021

I want to route this amazing chord player/ MIDI controller (ChordMaps/YoursTo PlayIt) into Reason, but I can't figure out how to do it.
https://mugglinworks.com/YoursToPlayIt/

I've tried using MidiOx, LoopMIDI, and MIDI Mapper but none of them are seeing Windows native MIDI engine (I believe this program is using Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, which is Window's built-in MIDI engine). Since these programs don't see it, I can't figure out how to route it. And the MIDI controller (Chordmaps/YoursTo PlayIt) doesn't have any output settings, it just automatically uses Windows default MIDI engine. I've read that MidiYOKE might be a solution, but I can't get it to install on Windows 10.

This is the note from the developer:

It is possible, using a midi jack program (like LoopBe1, for example), to route the MIDI information coming from YoursToPlayIt to a VST synth or a DAW program. However, there is one very important thing to know:

When you are looking for the MIDI ports and connections in LoopBe1, and on your Windows computer, you will never see the names "ChordMaps" or "YoursTo PlayIt" in any of the menus or options. This is because YoursToPlayIt is programmed in Liberty Basic, and it uses the native MIDI capabilities of Windows.

So the midi stream is coming from the internal system itself, as though Windows was generating it - not an external app name.

This means the real question is "Where is Windows sending out its MIDI stream?" If you can find the Windows MIDI out ports, and route the stream into the MIDI jack program (LoopBe1), and then out of the MIDI jack program to whatever vst or DAW is listening for MIDI instructions, then you can play YoursToPlayIt and hear the vst synth or DAW playing the chords.


I'm desperately hoping somebody here can help me figure it out. I'm using Windows 10.

Thanks in advance!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.
Image
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 3239
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill

Post 30 Sep 2021

More information from the user manual.
advanced MIDI options.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.
Image
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 1317
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 30 Sep 2021

I couldn't get it to work either, and not just with Reason. I'm experienced with virtual MIDI cables and loopbacks but I just don't see the Windows MIDI stream referred to in the instructions.

rmtcvolte
Posts: 104
Joined: 15 Nov 2018

Post 30 Sep 2021

Looks like a common problem. Try this:
https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/down ... _2.0.3.exe

I was able to play an ID8 in R10 via "advanced midi interface" set up with a loopMIDI virtual port. Set up CoolSoft first to output to that virtual port.

Edit: sorry for sending only a download link, more info: https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/midimapper

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 3239
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill

Post 30 Sep 2021

rmtcvolte wrote:
30 Sep 2021
Looks like a common problem. Try this:
https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/down ... _2.0.3.exe

I was able to play an ID8 in R10 via "advanced midi interface" set up with a loopMIDI virtual port. Set up CoolSoft first to output to that virtual port. If you were able to get it to work, can you please offer some more instructions as to how you did it?

Edit: sorry for sending only a download link, more info: https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/midimapper
I've tried MIDI Mapper and haven't had any luck routing this particular controller thru it. Did you say you had success playing ID8 with ChordMap/YoursToPlayIt? If so, I'm eager to get it working for me, as well Can you please give some more instructions as to what you did, exactly? I've been unable to get it to work following the info on that website.

Thanks
DaveyG wrote:
30 Sep 2021
I couldn't get it to work either, and not just with Reason. I'm experienced with virtual MIDI cables and loopbacks but I just don't see the Windows MIDI stream referred to in the instructions.
Thanks for commenting. I was afraid my post was going to die a lonely death.

Yeah, I can't figure out what Windows MIDID stream they are talking about. I wish the developer would give this thing some configurable MIDI out options. I can't complain about free software too loudly, though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.
Image
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

rmtcvolte
Posts: 104
Joined: 15 Nov 2018

Post 30 Sep 2021

challism wrote:
30 Sep 2021
I've tried MIDI Mapper and haven't had any luck routing this particular controller thru it. Did you say you had success playing ID8 with ChordMap/YoursToPlayIt? If so, I'm eager to get it working for me, as well Can you please give some more instructions as to what you did, exactly? I've been unable to get it to work following the info on that website.

Thanks
  • install loopMidi and add a new port
  • install MidiMapper and apply this port as "Default Midi device" in MidiMapper Configurator
  • open chordmaps click a chord, there should be no longer a sound from the MS wavetable synth
  • open Reason and check easymidi input in preferences/control surfaces (the above port should be listed and enabled) or set the port in sync/busA-D (dont forget to do the set up in the advanced midi in reason rack)
  • add an instrument and click the chords in Chordmaps, should play a sound, if you are using sync/busA-D you have to load more instruments to play all notes, according to the midi channels listed in Chordmaps
hopefully you get it to work!

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 3239
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill

Post 30 Sep 2021

rmtcvolte wrote:
30 Sep 2021
challism wrote:
30 Sep 2021
I've tried MIDI Mapper and haven't had any luck routing this particular controller thru it. Did you say you had success playing ID8 with ChordMap/YoursToPlayIt? If so, I'm eager to get it working for me, as well Can you please give some more instructions as to what you did, exactly? I've been unable to get it to work following the info on that website.

Thanks
  • install loopMidi and add a new port
  • install MidiMapper and apply this port as "Default Midi device" in MidiMapper Configurator
  • open chordmaps click a chord, there should be no longer a sound from the MS wavetable synth
  • open Reason and check easymidi input in preferences/control surfaces (the above port should be listed and enabled) or set the port in sync/busA-D (dont forget to do the set up in the advanced midi in reason rack)
  • add an instrument and click the chords in Chordmaps, should play a sound, if you are using sync/busA-D you have to load more instruments to play all notes, according to the midi channels listed in Chordmaps
hopefully you get it to work!
Thanks for the detailed info. Those were the same steps I was trying before. Unfortunately, this still isn't working for me. I wonder if that's because I'm on R12 and you are on R10.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.
Image
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

rmtcvolte
Posts: 104
Joined: 15 Nov 2018

Post 30 Sep 2021

challism wrote:
30 Sep 2021
Thanks for the detailed info. Those were the same steps I was trying before. Unfortunately, this still isn't working for me. I wonder if that's because I'm on R12 and you are on R10.
No, works with R12 the same way, at least for me. I cant remember if I had something done bevor with the MS build in midi structure, or maybe it is something left over from upgrading my Win7 OS. Could check out a second win10 pc later that day.

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 3239
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill

Post 30 Sep 2021

This is really frustrating. Your second step results in ChordMap no longer making noise. And that is where the process fails for me, because it continues to make noise thru the Windows Wavetable Synth. As you can see, I've got everything set up correctly.

I've tried this one two different Windows 10 computers. I've got one more computer that runs Windows 7. I'm going to try it on that one and see if this works.
2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.
Image
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3133
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 30 Sep 2021

If only vst midi routing and pass through was a higher priority,
I would have upgraded to R12 for vst midi and CMBv2.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 3239
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill

Post 30 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
30 Sep 2021
If only vst midi routing and pass through was a higher priority,
I would have upgraded to R12 for vst midi and CMBv2.
Do you think that would solve this problem? I guess it would eliminate the need for using something like loopMIDI.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.
Image
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3133
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 30 Sep 2021

challism wrote:
30 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
30 Sep 2021
If only vst midi routing and pass through was a higher priority,
I would have upgraded to R12 for vst midi and CMBv2.
Do you think that would solve this problem? I guess it would eliminate the need for using something like loopMIDI.
If Reason worked like every other DAW with regard to midi from vst devices I'm fairly certain that it would be an improvement in workflow.

I use mixed in keys captain bundle which I drop into Reason but because Reason doesn't do midi pass through I can't use RE's for audio however as captain has internal sounds and can host vst's it not as much hassle as what your trying to do.

I can also drag n drop the midi from captain into the Reason sequencer and ditch captain when I'm finished with writing and then use RE's or vst's as normal, but simply supporting midi pass through would have given me more workflow enhancement than any of the R12 offerings.

And wouldn't it be nice to not keep seeing Reason listed as not supported due to missing routing
IMG_2814.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

rmtcvolte
Posts: 104
Joined: 15 Nov 2018

Post 30 Sep 2021

challism wrote:
30 Sep 2021
This is really frustrating. Your second step results in ChordMap no longer making noise. And that is where the process fails for me, because it continues to make noise thru the Windows Wavetable Synth. As you can see, I've got everything set up correctly.
Yeah, looks like my setup. Dont know if this will help:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 2b7?page=2

Last entry under "replies" is someone with Win10 64bit, but my registry does not change, still shows the default value, whatever I choose in Midimapper. Did you start ChordMap after the adjustements to all midi settings?

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 3239
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill

Post 30 Sep 2021

I was pretty certain I tried restarting ChordMap after I made the changes. I've been trying this for so long now, I've been trying everything I could think of. But after reading that Windows forum, one of the comments gave me an idea... to run MIDI Mapper as Administrator. So I did that and made the changes. Then I restarted ChordMap.... AND IT'S WORKING! I'm not sure which of these two things did the trick, but it's working now! Amazing!!

Thank you so much for helping out everyone!

So here is the solution offered by rmtcvolte:

install loopMidi and add a new port
install MidiMapper and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR - apply this port as "Default Midi device" in MidiMapper Configurator
open chordmaps click a chord, there should be no longer a sound from the MS wavetable synth
open Reason and check easymidi input in preferences/control surfaces (the above port should be listed and enabled) or set the port in sync/busA-D (dont forget to do the set up in the advanced midi in reason rack)
add an instrument and click the chords in Chordmaps, should play a sound, if you are using sync/busA-D you have to load more instruments to play all notes, according to the midi channels listed in Chordmaps
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.
Image
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
BananaSkins
Posts: 418
Joined: 29 Sep 2017

Post 30 Sep 2021

challism wrote:
30 Sep 2021
I was pretty certain I tried restarting ChordMap after I made the changes. I've been trying this for so long now, I've been trying everything I could think of. But after reading that Windows forum, one of the comments gave me an idea... to run MIDI Mapper as Administrator. So I did that and made the changes. Then I restarted ChordMap.... AND IT'S WORKING! I'm not sure which of these two things did the trick, but it's working now! Amazing!!

Thank you so much for helping out everyone!

So here is the solution offered by rmtcvolte:

install loopMidi and add a new port
install MidiMapper and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR - apply this port as "Default Midi device" in MidiMapper Configurator
open chordmaps click a chord, there should be no longer a sound from the MS wavetable synth
open Reason and check easymidi input in preferences/control surfaces (the above port should be listed and enabled) or set the port in sync/busA-D (dont forget to do the set up in the advanced midi in reason rack)
add an instrument and click the chords in Chordmaps, should play a sound, if you are using sync/busA-D you have to load more instruments to play all notes, according to the midi channels listed in Chordmaps
Well persevered and thanks for explaining your procedure…Have fun creating music…

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests