The Further Combinator Suggestions

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
moofi

25 Sep 2021

+ horizontal faders

moofi

25 Sep 2021

New button type for cycling through states (not only 2). Like cycling through Echo´s Color- modes with a new colour for every state. Also being able to have just a single state for something like a clear button. These could actually be round buttons to differ from the standard 1/2 switch.

marcuswitt

27 Sep 2021

@RS: Please add a feature to the Combinator 2 that allows each single Instrument device that's nested in a Combinator to receive either only ODD or only EVEN or ALL MIDI Note Numbers. There's at least one scenario where this makes sense (to me), namely adding two instances of the same Instrument (and Patch) to a Combinator 2 and doubling their polyphony through the method as mentioned above, i.e. the first instance receiving the ODD MIDI Note Numbers only, while the second instance of the same instrument receiving the EVEN MIDI Note Numbers only.

Another scenario I can think of is creative sound design by combining two, let's say two 8-Voice instances of The Legend RE with each instance playing a different Patch. But in total, that Combinator Patch would have a 16-voice polyphony but with different sounds on the EVEN and ODD MIDI Notes.

I'd really like to see that in a future update. And, I guess, that such a MIDI Filter isn't hard to implement.

moofi

28 Sep 2021

Having worked with the new Combinator quite a bit recently it came to mind, there would have to be just one small addition for evolving it immensely.

I often thought about cascading combinators, yet wasn´t really visually satisfied with the solutions of a combinator inside a combinator going through my mind
Then it occured to me with the current and potential Combinator 2 development allowing for many controls and hopefully even more to come, all it needs is being able to adress itself.

Granted, I cannot really tell how easy it might be implementing the combinator to reference itself. Yet it at least seems to be an easy solution to circumvent multiple combinator devices within each other by simply adding a new macro level:
Attachments
Cascading Combinator 2.jpg
Cascading Combinator 2.jpg (105.93 KiB) Viewed 4242 times

Loque

28 Sep 2021

If this would ever be added, addressing the created controls would be enough. I think, that did you meant by addressing itself, right?
Reason12, Win10

moofi

28 Sep 2021

Yes, like shown in the picture the Combinator would have to be listed as a device to access its own controls, reason I called it adressing itself.
Loque wrote:
28 Sep 2021
If this would ever be added, addressing the created controls would be enough. I think, that did you meant by addressing itself, right?

tominator_66

29 Sep 2021

Is there a Combinator 2 Feature Requests Topic? I couldn't find one.

I'd like to see:
1. Radio buttons for patch selection.
2. Momentary buttons for on the fly performance use, or cycling through lists.
3. Maybe patch slots, that can be linked to Combined Device patch slots, for changing device settings or complete devices from the Combinator front panel.
4. A feedback checkbox on Controls, that will display what the Control has selected from a list, like osc type in a Synth or Scale in Scales and Chords.

challism

29 Sep 2021

Wouldn't it be great if we had full-sized buttons to make a Kong type pad on the face of the Combi?
And also some different button functionality choices. I would like to see some time-released button options and an option like the Kong buttons, where they are "on" as long as the button is being pressing (instead of the on/off toggle functionality we are forced to use now).
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (91.19 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

tominator_66

01 Oct 2021

Is there a Combinator 2 Feature Requests Topic? I couldn't find one.

I'd like to see:
1. Radio buttons for patch selection.
2. Momentary buttons for on the fly performance use.
3. Maybe patch slots, that can be linked to Combined Device patch slots, for changing device settings or complete devices from the Combinator front panel.
Last edited by tominator_66 on 02 Oct 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Jackjackdaw

01 Oct 2021

More Knobs! After forever being stuck with 4 they open it up but limit it to 32. So you start mapping out complex controllers and you run out of knobs again. Why have a limit?

gullum

02 Oct 2021

now that we got back the 4 knob and button to the remote mapping in the insert and master .
I would like that the first combinator would just include all 32 knobs and buttons to be remote mappable to a controller as part of the mix channel instead of just 4 as is now. That would make remote mapping so much more powerful if you have a Mackie x-touch or icon controller it would open up for being able to to control a combinator inside the mix channel without touching the mouse even the nektar would be a killer machine then

Shoukz

02 Oct 2021

More Than 32 knobs / 32 switches

Horizontal faders (or the ability to rotate knobs/faders/switches)

Multiple state switches / notched knobs (sort of Snapshot knobs)

led that react (enlighted) to CV signal (to create meters or led indicators)

Bigger pads / switches and momentary pads function

more switches / knobs looking styles (more BIG / MEDIUM / SMALL familly of knobs, more colors for switches (something like/yellow/orange/green/bleu /purple for each type of switches), Round/Oval/ Triangular shaped switches, vintage switches

x/y pads, Ribbon

magnetised grid option to place switches and knob on the combinator plate

... in fact anything that would help to create the nicest UIs

More CV and AUDIO input/output could be great too

nemesjs

04 Oct 2021

So I took some time to gather all suggestions made here to date in only one post.
(@MODs or authors please indicate what you think is missing/incorrect)

SUM OF ALL OF THE REQUESTS FOR COMBINATOR 2.1 SO FAR (2021/10/04):

- even bigger knobs than xxl.

- XY-pad and stepped knobs.

- visual mini-screen to show LFO-curves or other info. As example, in the stepped knob's case - I'd like every step to show a different pic in that screen. Handy to show LFO-curves as example. We should be able to upload pics for that screen. Also hoovering on the top of the knobs, buttons and faders, could show some info in the screen too.

- a bank of db-meters, blinking lights or even some bling-bling kinda other visual lights.

- tabs switcher to show secondary panels, so we can build combi2s to have some of the knobs on the different tabs.

- 10 buttons for the combi2 that store sub-patches i.e. tweak and take a 'snapshot' of the situation that you want to store. Also, loading a new sub-patch wouldn't newlie load all the devices. (But just change the values of the devices that already are THERE).

- audio meter a la oscilloscope

- more basic backgrounds / general templates

- 64 CV ins

- to be able to design the backside with audio inputs, manage the routings and as much as CV as you like

- built-in mixer needs: a volume knob and pan (L/R) per channel + mute/solo on each channel

- at least 64+ buttons + 64+ knobs

- when in edit mode the ability to change/edit the shared(common) properties of a group of selected elements of the same type

- horizontal slider/fader (orientation option)

- an (alpha)numerical display, resizable, able to multiline with several graphical options (digital, retro, leds, etc) that could show values from devices via CV or be mapped

- a gauge with select-able limits, resizable, several graphical options (modern, retro, vu meter, etc) that can receive values from CV ins or be mapped

- buttons/knobs should react to mapped sources inside combinator just like how they react to mapped hardware sources -> ex: if a mapped knob is rotated so does the combinator knob

- ability to control all elements of the panel by using CV values or any other panel element -> targets should also include the combinator elements themselves with one exception: one element cannot control itself (avoid infinite loops)

- allow the next patch/previous patch buttons of any Rack Extension inside the Combinator to be map-able to Combinator buttons - they are already mappable to external hardware sources (midi controllers)

- momentary (Gate) + Trigger (Pulse) buttons types

- be able to change the name of a panel element in the editor instead of having to do it in the element label that can be hidden

- more audio and CV IO -> at least 4 additional audio ins and 16 additional audio outs

- 32 cv in and out connections and the option to also use those in the programmer

- a "text sticker" or "text display" widget

- rotary controls for rotary controls

- control assets from stock synths -> ex: Europa, Grain, Subtractor / multiple sizes of knobs, switches, buttons, sliders, etc

- have some values for CV, dB, instead of 0-127 for everything

- label TextOutput remoteables

- buttons act as on/of switches

- more control designs/flexibility over size

- the ability to copy paste current control (or group of controls)

- 32+ CV's in's for the Rotaries

- nested Combis within Combis

- right click and map to generic CV input

- stepped knobs and button variations, eg momentary and toggle switch modes.

- more than or at least 64 rotaries+switchs but whatever ratio you want though ie not only 50/50.

- some kind of shading or obvious graphical indicator that you're in Configure mode

- combine option that creates a combinator that includes all the controls and programming of the 2 combinators that are combined (if possible)

- be able to group buttons, such that pressing one, turns off the others

- buttons on the front panel could send MIDI notes, program change messages or similar to the plug-ins

- more colors for the buttons (red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, yellow and white)

- separate dropdowns for style (classic, large, small etc) and color

- “red” buttons should be red not pink!

- ability to save a remote override mapping with the combinator so you could create recallable bi-directional control setup on a device basis

- give a combinator device some sort of presets -> this preset would just control the parameters of the combinator with an UI element for selecting presets

- a device added in the combi2 will unlock every single knob, fader, button on all devices to be routed to whatever you want -> not like now when not everything is automatable

- bigger knobs than xxl

- more font colours, types and also sizes

- addable textfields for improved labeling

- value responsive displays

- horizontal faders

- new button type for cycling through states (not only 2), like cycling through Echo´s Color - modes with a new colour for every state

- being able to have just a single state for something like a clear button -> These could actually be round buttons to differ from the standard 1/2 switch.

- allow each single Instrument device that's nested in a Combinator to receive either only ODD or only EVEN or ALL MIDI Note Numbers

- allow the combinator to reference itself = addressing the created controls on itself

- radio buttons for patch selection

- momentary buttons for on the fly performance use, or cycling through lists

- patch slots, that can be linked to Combined Device patch slots, for changing device settings or complete devices from the Combinator front panel

- feedback checkbox on Controls, that will display what the Control has selected from a list, like osc type in a Synth or Scale in Scales and Chords

- full-sized buttons to make a Kong type pad on the face of the Combi

- some different button functionality choices like time-released button options and an option like the Kong buttons, where they are "on" as long as the button is being pressed

- limitless number of knobs

- in the insert and master the first combinator would just include all 32 knobs and buttons to be remote mappable to a controller as part of the mix channel instead of just 4 as is now

- more than 32 knobs / 32 switches

- horizontal faders (or the ability to rotate knobs/faders/switches)

- multiple state switches / notched knobs (sort of Snapshot knobs)

- led that react (enlighted) to CV signal (to create meters or led indicators)

- bigger pads / switches and momentary pads function

- more switches / knobs looking styles (more BIG / MEDIUM / SMALL familly of knobs, more colors for switches (something like/yellow/orange/green/bleu /purple for each type of switches), Round/Oval/ Triangular shaped switches, vintage switches

- x/y pads

- ribbon

- magnetised grid option easily place/align switches and knobs on the combinator plate

- more CV and AUDIO input/output

Carpainter

07 Oct 2021

The 32-knob limit, in particular, is causing me a lot of frustration because it's preventing me from turning some VST plugins into rack devices.

zoidkirb

07 Oct 2021

In addition to 'right click - add parameter to combi control x' we need 'right click - remove parameter from combi control x'

w1pl0c

07 Oct 2021

momentary and toggle buttons

Pepin

09 Oct 2021

The biggest missing control for me is XY pads.
Also, some way to have mutually exclusive groups of buttons (aka radio buttons).

selig
RE Developer

10 Oct 2021

Did not see in in the list above, (and hope I’ve not already suggested this) but this would solve multiple requests and take some pressure off RS.
Allow importing custom filmstrips for controls.
This would allow any size knob, horizontal faders, rotated/offset knobs, and lay the groundwork for stepped controls and radio buttons etc. It would also take the pressure off RS to create new knobs since it would be so easy to add your own custom knobs and easily share with others. I already have so many filmstrips from past products (released and unreleased), and the software to create custom controls is free and fairly easy to understand. Like backdrops, filmstrips would be included with the Combinator when saved.
Selig Audio, LLC

nemesjs

10 Oct 2021

selig wrote:
10 Oct 2021
Did not see in in the list above, (and hope I’ve not already suggested this) but this would solve multiple requests and take some pressure off RS.
This would allow any size knob, horizontal faders, rotated/offset knobs, and lay the groundwork for stepped controls and radio buttons etc. It would also take the pressure off RS to create new knobs since it would be so easy to add your own custom knobs and easily share with others. I already have so many filmstrips from past products (released and unreleased), and the software to create custom controls is free and fairly easy to understand. Like backdrops, filmstrips would be included with the Combinator when saved.
This is an excellent idea! :clap: I agree 200%! :thumbup: There could still be some default ones available to choose from but also like you said, one should be able to use a custom strip.

loopeydoug

10 Oct 2021

selig wrote:
10 Oct 2021
Is a "filmstrip" a specific technical device in the design/programming world? I don't understand what that would mean in Combinator terms.

Pepin

10 Oct 2021

A "filmstrip" is just RS's name for a sprite sheet used for device controls (an image containing a bunch of animation frames).
I could see it working, though I'd be concerned about wasting disk space for controls shared by a bunch of patches.

nemesjs

10 Oct 2021

loopeydoug wrote:
10 Oct 2021
Is a "filmstrip" a specific technical device in the design/programming world? I don't understand what that would mean in Combinator terms.
Here's an example of a PNG strip of a knob with only 10 frames:

guitfnky

10 Oct 2021

I’m sure someone has already suggested this, but I’m too lazy to sift through everything to check, but they should add the ability to import .png files right into the combi editor. we should be able to add artwork and custom labeling without needing to tediously size stuff in a photo editor.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

moofi

11 Oct 2021

Yes, this would be ideal because, like you said, we could create whatsoever we like and the developers could relax in that regard. Went through my mind quite often already.
selig wrote:
10 Oct 2021

moofi

11 Oct 2021

Very good idea :thumbs_up:
guitfnky wrote:
10 Oct 2021
I’m sure someone has already suggested this, but I’m too lazy to sift through everything to check, but they should add the ability to import .png files right into the combi editor. we should be able to add artwork and custom labeling without needing to tediously size stuff in a photo editor.

• Information